New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Realistic Monk's Belt

I know this is only a single item in the 3.5 DMG, so my question is: "Why?" Here is my alternative.

Spoiler
    Show

White Belt: No effect
    Yellow Belt: +1 AC
    Orange Belt: +1 AC, +1 Unarmed Strike
    Green Belt: +1 AC, +2 Unarmed Strike
    Blue Belt: +2 AC, +2 Unarmed Strike

Blue Striped Belt: +2 AC, +3 Unarmed Strike, DR 2/--
    Purple Belt: +3 AC, +3 Unarmed Strike, DR 2/--
    Purple Striped Belt: +3 AC, +4 Unarmed Strike, DR 2/--

Brown Belt: +4 AC, +4 Unarmed Strike, DR 5/--
    Brown Striped Belt: +4 AC, +5 Unarmed Strike, DR 5/--

Black Belt: +5 AC, +5 Unarmed Strike, DR 5/--, Improved Critical with Unarmed Strike

Will do prices later this week if the variant is accepted. Generally, a monk's school will give White Belts to novice 1st level monks, Yellow through Blue Belts to 2nd to 5th level monks, Blue Striped to Purple Striped Belts to 6th to 10th level monks, Brown and Brown Advanced Belts to 11th to 15th level monks, and Black Belts only to monks of level 16 or higher. If these seem overpowered, I will fix them later. Prices will probably be low since only monks really benefit from the unarmed bonuses.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Realistic Monk's Belt

I don't consider this fully necessary, but it's not harmful.
    Could you specify what you mean by "+X Unarmed Strike"? Do you mean that it makes the wielder's unarmed strike into a magic weapon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

He is saying that unarmed attacks get an attack bonus at that value.

Sence your belts are based on existing grades in martial arts, it would be resonable to put a level requirement on each belt.

4. - Top - End - #4

Overlooking the fact that coloured belts are just a modern invention, coming from the western need of showing off to others how good you are, this is actually something the monk class needs to be able to survive in melee combat. It does need a level requirement however, and it also opens up for some great side-quests for the player. The GM could come up with some quests or tasks that the monk needs to complete to recieve the belt. Something simple like defeat some brawlers at a tavern at low levels, and then something more difficult at the higher levels, like a high-level dungeon crawl to uncover some long lost epic artifact for his monastery or master.

Optionally, the GM can just rule out a level requirement completely, and make it possible for the player to gain acces to these belt through use of his/her or it's cunning wits. Ofcourse, the difficulty of the tasks needed to get the best belts would require the monk to be at quite a high level anyway. Finally, good job!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Unlike Mathis, I have a hard time overlooking the fact that coloured belts are modern. Also, the colours used are completely different from system to system, except that black is usually best and white is usually worst.

I think the mechanics ae good, I would propose some different names however.

White Belt (no effect)
    Belt of the Acolyte
    Belt of the Initiate
    Belt of the Dedicant
    belt of the Ronin
    Belt of the Mendicant
    Saffron Belt
    Black Belt
    Belt of the Master
    Belt of the Grand Master

Something like this has a nice feel to it and you can sort of imagine a backstory to each belt. The coloured belts just make me think of modern Tae Kwon Do studios with mom's camera flashing as she snaps photos of her kids.

You could also have belts that give special styles. "Belt of the Mantis" "Belt of the Dragon" etc, each one granta a special attack.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

For belt names, I would suggest:

Belt of the Novice
    Belt of the Brother
    Belt of the Immaculate
    Belt of the Superior Master
    Belt of the North Wind
    Belt of the South Wind
    Belt of the Winter
    Belt of the Summer
    Belt of the Flowers

Anyone recognize them?
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The title list for monks 2nd Edition.

Grand Master of Flowers, sounds like a gardener, kicks your head in.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the idea, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon with those who say it need a level requirement.

Also "Belt of the Mendicant" makes me picture things so much more awesome than that plasticy-cloth material that makes up a Blue Belt.

9. - Top - End - #9

Apologies for not giving the author time to post inbetween, but this is a reply to Another_Poet. I'll admit I reacted pretty strongly myself as I'm a strong believer in practicing the traditional art instead of the modern competetive styles that some styles unfortunately has evolved to today. The names do however solely exists to differentiate one belt from the other, and so do not carry much meaning in themselves. But all of the name suggestions were good, even if I have no idea what a mendicant is

10. - Top - End - #10

Apologies for not giving the author time to post inbetween, but this is a reply to Another_Poet. I'll admit I reacted pretty strongly myself as I'm a strong believer in practicing the traditional art instead of the modern competetive styles that some styles unfortunately has evolved to today. The names do however solely exists to differentiate one belt from the other, and so do not carry much meaning in themselves. But all of the name suggestions were good, even if I have no idea what a mendicant is

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I guess I'll agree with Another_Poet on names. The real question is how to price these. I guess the ones that power up AC can be priced as Ring of Protection with a bit extra for the unarmed bonus, but I have no idea how to price the DR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'd actually price them somewhat less than their general-use counterparts. Assuming these can only be used by monks, the demand is less so the price should be less than equivalent items that anyone can use. Maybe price them as if they were one-bonus-point less than the equivalent general use item; those that offer just 1 bonus point are at half the cost of the equivalent general-use item?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9000 View Post
    I like the idea, but I'm jumping on the bandwagon with those who say it need a level requirement.

Also "Belt of the Mendicant" makes me picture things so much more awesome than that plasticy-cloth material that makes up a Blue Belt.
    Like Groo the wanderer?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.