New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Default [D&D 3.5] PrC, Divine-infused

Players in Legends do not read this post, seriously! Shoo!

This is a PrC written for the players willing to accept a dead Goddess' blessings, and are willing to be her first real 'priests' since she disappeared. A bit like the Chosen in FR.

Sorry for the title, just trying to obfuscate the content of the post from my players.

The Goddess' portfolio is luck, happiness, rogue-like behaviour, alchohol and all that jazz. She is Chaotic Neutral

Becoming a Touched By Shalandra:
    To qualify to become Touched By Shalandra, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Human.
    Alignment: Any non-evil.
    And, of course, y'know, being actually touched by her.

Class Skills:
    The Touched By Shalandra class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (History) (int), Knowledge (Religion) (int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

BAB: As Assassin's.

HD: D10

Saves: Medium Fort and Ref, good Will.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Touched by Shalandra gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Chaotic:
    A first level Touched by Shalandra moves one step towards Chaotic on the Lawful/Chaotic Axis.

Spell Immunity: At first level, and every level thereafter, a Touched by Shalandra becomes immune to one spell per spell level, starting at cantrips.

Touch of Shalandra: Starting at second level, and every second level thereafter, a Touched By Shalandra can use the Touch of Shalandra once per day. When the Touch is used, a single die can be rerolled at a +3 untyped bonus. The new roll must be used, even if it lower than the former roll. At every second level, this ability can be used once more per day, and the untyped bonus becomes +6 at 4th level, +9 at 6th level, and so forth. At 10th level, the Touched By Shalandra adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her Touch of Shalandra times per day.

Shalandra’s Health: At third level, the Touched By Shalandra starts becoming resistant to poison, diseases – both of which help against both mudane and magical poison and diseases - and has a less need for sleep. She gets a +4 bonus to rolls against poison and disease, and only needs 3 hours of sleep per night. Spellcasters still need 8 hours to prepare their spells.

Detect Magic: At 5th level, the Touched By Shalandra gains Detect Magic at will. The casting level is equal to her ECL.

Shalandra’s Endurance:
    At 7th level, the Touched By Shalandra becomes immune to mudane poisons and diseases, and receives a +10 bonus to rolls against poisons and diseases. Also, the Touched By Shalandra no longer has a need for sleep. Spellcasters still need 8 hours to prepare their spells.

Shalandra’s Shield: At 8th level, the Touched By Shalandra receives DR 10/Lawful and spell resistance 20 against all spells and spells cast by lawful creatures.

Spell-like Abilities:

The Touched By Shalandra also gains a number of Spell-like Abilities as she advances. The casting level is equal to her ECL.
    Starting at Cantrips, she recieves 1 Cantrip spell 3 times per day, the next level is 2 Cantrip spells 3 times per day each plus 1 1. level spell 3 times per day, the third level is 3 cantrip spells 3 times per day plus 2 1. level spells 3 times per day and a 2. level spell 3 times per day. The spells max out at 3 spells after 3 levels.

Would very much like comments on how to fit her portfolio a bit better, and on how overpowered this is. Thanks!
    Last edited by Xanos; 2008-12-14 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Title was misleading.
    Hi. I'm Me.

"78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature."
    - Truth be told, the players didn't reach the inn until about 10 minutes into the game.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] PrC, Divine-infused

A nice idea. I like custom casting prestige classes. I'll be a bit brutal, so don't worry if I sound a little hostile. I'm just pointing out potential break points.
    Before we begin, I made a table to make reading this easier.

Code:
    	       Fort    Ref.    Will  							Spell-like Abilities.
    Level	BAB    Save    Save    Save  Special						0   1st 2nd 3rd	4th 5th	6th 7th	8th 9th
    1st	+0	+0	+0	+2   Chaotic, Spell Immunity				1   -   —   —	—   —	—   —	—   —
    2nd	+1	+1	+1	+3   Touch of Shalandra	1/day				2   1   —   —	—   —	—   —	—   —
    3rd	+2	+1	+1	+4   Shalandra’s Health					3   2   1   —	—   —	—   —	—   —
    4th	+3	+2	+2	+5   Touch of Shalandra	2/day				3   3   2   1	—   —	—   —	—   —
    5th	+3	+3	+3	+6   Detect Magic					3   3	3   1	1   —	—   —	—   —
    6th	+4	+3	+3	+7   Touch of Shalandra	3/day				3   3	3   2	2   1	—   —	—   —
    7th	+5	+4	+4	+8   Shalandra’s Endurance				3   3	3   3	3   2	1   —	—   —
    8th	+5	+5	+5	+9   Touch of Shalandra	4/day, Shalandra’s Shield	3   3	3   3	3   3	2   1	—   —
    9th	+6	+5	+5	+10							3   3	3   3	3   3	3   2	1   —
    10th	+7	+6	+6	+11  Touch of Shalandra	5/day				3   3	3   3	3   3	3   3	2   1
    Becoming a Touched By Shalandra:
    To qualify to become Touched By Shalandra, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Human.
    Alignment: Any non-evil.
    And, of course, y'know, being actually touched by her.
    The Goddess' portfolio is luck, happiness, rogue-like behaviour, alchohol and all that jazz. She is Chaotic Neutral
    She's a bit lenient with her entry requirements. Shouldn't they at least have some skills or potential? Also, why any non-evil if she's Chaotic Neutral? Priests are usually one their deities' alignment, or one step away. This kinda makes the Chaotic class feature a bit forced, really. Does Shalandra have the power to change people's alignments? Wouldn't she normally only touch people of her own alignment?

BAB: As Assassin's.

HD: D10

Saves: Medium Fort and Ref, good Will.
    3/4 BAB, good HP, and a strange save progression? If you want to give them a more than poor fort and ref, I suggest something like a luck bonus in their class features (+1 luck to fort and ref every X levels) instead of outright giving them a strange save progression. Why does this class get more HP than a cleric...
    Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Touched by Shalandra gains no proficiency with any weapon or armor.
    ...But no armor that usually comes with it?

Spell Immunity: At first level, and every level thereafter, a Touched by Shalandra becomes immune to one spell per spell level, starting at cantrips.
    Is this 1 spell per level, or one spell per spell level per level? It looks like the latter. That way I can become immune to Antimagic Field AND Limited Wish! Immunity is also a little strange. Why do they get immunity?

Touch of Shalandra: Starting at second level, and every second level thereafter, a Touched By Shalandra can use the Touch of Shalandra once per day. When the Touch is used, a single die can be rerolled at a +3 untyped bonus. The new roll must be used, even if it lower than the former roll. At every second level, this ability can be used once more per day, and the untyped bonus becomes +6 at 4th level, +9 at 6th level, and so forth. At 10th level, the Touched By Shalandra adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her Touch of Shalandra times per day.
    Text in italics needs fixing.
    Detect Magic: At 5th level, the Touched By Shalandra gains Detect Magic at will. The casting level is equal to her ECL.
    Why? Also, "character level" or "hit dice" are usually the conventions, not ECL. ECL is for XP gain only.

Shalandra’s Endurance:
    At 7th level, the Touched By Shalandra becomes immune to mudane poisons and diseases, and receives a +10 bonus to rolls against poisons and diseases. Also, the Touched By Shalandra no longer has a need for sleep. Spellcasters still need 8 hours to prepare their spells.
    They become immune to poison and disease, but gain a +10 bonus to save against them? Why not just say "They are immune to poison and disease"?

Spell-like Abilities:

The Touched By Shalandra also gains a number of Spell-like Abilities as she advances. The casting level is equal to her ECL.
    Starting at Cantrips, she recieves 1 Cantrip spell 3 times per day, the next level is 2 Cantrip spells 3 times per day each plus 1 1. level spell 3 times per day, the third level is 3 cantrip spells 3 times per day plus 2 1. level spells 3 times per day and a 2. level spell 3 times per day. The spells max out at 3 spells after 3 levels.
    This was the hardest text to figure out, but also the most broken. They gain spell like abilities (which do not have arcane spell failure, a minimum casting stat, spell components, the drawback of being able to being counterspelled...) from ANY spell list of their choice up to 9th level, and be able to cast it 3 times a day? Hello, Ressurrection, Simulacrum, and Wish! Maybe Ice Assassin, too. And did I mention Antimagic Field (as a 5th level Spell, from Runescarred Berserker)? I'm immune to that, and I'm casting it. And the lower spell levels aren't bad, either, I could have the Trapsmith's Greater Dispel Magic for 3rd level, 1st level Hunter's Eye for sneak attack damage, and I'll never have to worry about my caster level, not even if I then become something with a huge level adjustment, as it's equal to my ECL. Unless, of course, I have totally read the text wrong, it's hard to tell because there's no table to help me.

Would very much like comments on how to fit her portfolio a bit better, and on how overpowered this is. Thanks!
    Personally, I don't think this class really fits a rogueish free spirit goddess at all. It reads more like a goddess of magic with a sprinkling of luck and alcohol abuse on the side. :P.

Firstly, I'd ditch the spell like abilities and the spell immunity. They don't appear to be relevant to her portfolio. If you do want to give them up to 9th level casting, I'd go the Divine Crusader way and give them a very, very limited casting from one or two domains only. Otherwise, limit it to around 5th level.

As for the other abilities, they're okay. The Touch is very nice as a luck based ability. Becoming immune to poison means that they're also immune to getting drunk, so beware of that. Perhaps an ability like the Drunken Master's to metabolise alcohol differently?

Reduce the HD and the saves. Perhaps d6/8 for HD. Dunno about the saves, though.

Overall, it's a good idea, but needs some refinement before it's playable in game.