New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Gamma World Adventure 20XD6: OOC

Play by Post "Etiquette"

I hope I don't sound too shrill, but I think we should lay some basic rules out for these games. I don't want to be a Nazi about this, but I don't want this game to simply fizzle out and die due to inertia.

1) You should not let more than 48 hours go before posting.
    Even if you aren't going to do anything, you should at least write "I'm here, I'm reading all this but simply waiting to see what happens." If you don't post, we don't know if you are simply not reading the tread, don't have internet connection, can't get on Giantitp because the servers are down, have simply walked out of the game because you thought it was boring, ect. In short, it is annoying, and somewhat insulting to the DM, who is going through all this trouble to post material that you are not responding to. It is also insulting to the other players, who want to see the game move forward and not stall out because one person is not posting. This is especially annoying during combat.

2) If you cannot post for a time, because you don't have access to the internet, let the DM know.
    The PC can go in "dummy mode" so the story does not lose momentum. That is, the PC is under DM control, but performs only very basic tasks. The PC does not make any spectacular leaps of logic to solve a puzzle the DM has created, and the PC does not make any genius combat manuevers. For the most part, the PC simply attacks whatever enemy is closest to it, or aids allies that are badly wounded. The DM-controlled PC can respond to requests made by other Player-controlled PC, such as "hey, so-in-so, you know a lot about engineering, what does this contraption do?"

That's all, really. I myself try to check the message boards at least once a day (in reality it is whenever I get a chance, up to four times a da). I can't make everybody else do that, but I think this is simply common courtesy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gamma World Adventure 20XD6: OOC

The community in which you will start the game (Calsag) is small, housing roughly 40 families. It’s primary industry is fishing and there are not too many learned people in the village. Archaic Technology is the most prevalent type, although a voluntary militia does have access to some firearms. It is located about 20 miles from the nuked-out city of Chicago at the confluence of the (now choked with silt) Illinois and Michigan canal and the Des Plaines River.
    So...what are you all doing in Calsag? Were you born there? Just passing through? Working there?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Irfan's just passing through the small town. It doesn't have anything in the way of tech to interest him, but he's been able to hang around for a few days and help the few sick or wounded people in town as best he can. There hasn't been much to do lately, (Despite getting close to hitting it off with the daughter of a man laid down with a broken leg) and he's thinking of leaving pretty soon. There's little enough work in the town as it is, especially for an outsider. There's no-one else willing to pay even his extremely low rates for medical treatment, (He sells medicine and antibiotics at cost to small towns like this.) so there isn't much left keeping him there.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Dog's only motivation for being anywhere near a human settlement is to get access to fresh water, which he still needs despite his ability to get by eating soil and wood. Whatever supply he was drinking from before has been defouled, forcing him to sneak into town by night and try to scavenge something drinkable. Townspeople have likely found suspicious piles of shorn hair on the outskirts of town.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think The Dragon has spent his time here for about a month or two. He's been steadily trying to convince the people of the town to construct more structured rules and to build in community, and for a few people it's worked, but not everybody's willing to give up their freedoms so somebody else can have it. He's more or less a swindler of beliefs. Should anybody in the game know him?

EDIT: What's the racial background of this development?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Mostly stock human, with some inevitable mutations thrown in the mix. Nothing too horrendous though; everybody gets along fine.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Otogi: You know the "Mayor," Tom. This village doesn't really have any type of government, he is the Mator by popular decree alone.

If you want, he could be a "Contact." He has some power in the town, but not the mantle of absolute authority.

8. - Top - End - #8

It depends, I guess. Does everyone else get contacts, and if so, how many/

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah; because you are a Charismatic hero. See pg. 211 for info on "contacts."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I mean only Charismatic heroes have contacts. Mayor Tom would be an "Information contact."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Oh yeah...you all start with 6 Action Points. (I'm assuming you used all your Action Points up in previous levels.)

All 6 Hero types get 5 + 1/2 level AP at each level; therefore you get 6.

12. - Top - End - #12

Alright, sure.

13. - Top - End - #13

Doc has been in town for a few weeks, it's on his usual tour of duty, fixing up the inhabitants, doing check-ups and doing (or removing, a job he finds more fulfilling) implants for those that can afford it.

I guess Doc and Irfan would have met or been working together.

Are there any advanced classes other than those in d20 modern PHB and Gamma world allowed? The Gamma world ones don't really cater for Luddites But Field Medic is probably what I'll end up taking. There is one in Machines and Mutants, Robots Bane that looks interesting.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Jokes:

Is Machines and Mutants somewhere where I can download it absolutely free? If so, you can use it. I don't want to have to buy that many more books to run this game.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Natsuko is here looking for her sister, of course. She spends most of her time asking around, her charming but somewhat limited capacity for verbal exchange causing both bemusement and mild amusement among the locals she has approached.

I don't know the local attitude towards self-willed machines, but since Natsuko's appearance and manner seem relatively harmless, besides the fact that she carries a weapon (which I'd guess most travelers/visitors to the town do anyway), I imagine that so far she hasn't been hassled. The people she's encountered have either thought her a quaint novelty (if they realize/believe she is actually a self-willed machine) or a weirdo/simpleton (if they don't) and left her mostly to her own devices.

Natsuko has just arrived in town, and her presence has not become widespread knowledge yet.
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by S.K.U.M.M. View Post
    Is Machines and Mutants somewhere where I can download it absolutely free? If so, you can use it. I don't want to have to buy that many more books to run this game.
    I checked and you can find it on that same page I linked in the second post of the recruitment thread. I just downloaded it myself. I think there's some other Gamma World stuff there that people can take a look at too.

EDIT: Re-link.

EDIT 2: Cryptic Alliances and Unknown Enemies looks like it could be useful for Gamemastering.
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-12-17 at 02:58 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Okay, just for the record, I'm cool with using stuff from the link that Souldoubt provided.

From a philosophical point of view, however, I'm more interested in actually playing this game than looking for rules variations from the far-flung corners of the internet.

18. - Top - End - #18

Which then opens the question: when are we going to play?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

I'm waiting for puctheplayfull

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Still attending. Ready for action.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BDEYE View Post
    Ready for action.
    Liar. Dog doesn't have his skill points allocated yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by S.K.U.M.M. View Post
    Okay, just for the record, I'm cool with using stuff from the link that Souldoubt provided.

From a philosophical point of view, however, I'm more interested in actually playing this game than looking for rules variations from the far-flung corners of the internet.
    I was asking because I wasn't sure if I should burn skill points in Knowledge: Technology (advanced). Ah, which reminds me, Field medics class skill lists Knowledge: Technology. Converted to Gamma world, would this be Pre-war or advanced? Again, I need to know if its going to be cross-class (so I should start putting ranks in now) or a class skill (only bother when I get into FM).

Other than that, I'm good to go

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Jokes View Post
    I guess Doc and Irfan would have met or been working together.
    That'd be cool. I wonder what Doc's attitude would be to Irfan's providing of medical services at cost/free will be?

Sorry about not posting for a little while, I thought I'd bookmarked this page, but I hadn't.
    Feel free to catch me on MSN if you ever feel like a chat! You can find me under "ChocolateHeathen (At) Hotmail (Dot) com", most days.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Rettu Skcollob View Post
    That'd be cool. I wonder what Doc's attitude would be to Irfan's providing of medical services at cost/free will be?
    "What? This is an outrage! Get the hell out of my town!"

25. - Top - End - #25

"What? This is an outrage! Get the hell out of my town!"
    "Ah, it's nice to meet a fellow practitioner of the medical ar-aaaaa! Stop hitting me with that stick!"

*Flees*

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm sure your patients get what they pay for

Come to think of it, I'm gonna repost Doc here so people can find it.

27. - Top - End - #27

I might as well do the same.

Irfan really only comes into his element when dealing with tech, machinery and computers. He's also a passable dancer and makes a mean omelet.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I was asking because I wasn't sure if I should burn skill points in Knowledge: Technology (advanced). Ah, which reminds me, Field medics class skill lists Knowledge: Technology. Converted to Gamma world, would this be Pre-war or advanced? Again, I need to know if its going to be cross-class (so I should start putting ranks in now) or a class skill (only bother when I get into FM).

Other than that, I'm good to go
    It would be Tech: Advanced, as you'd be trained in the most advanced medical science available.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Rules stuff:

Many of you haven't added your Defense Bonus to your AC. You'll want to do that.

Many of you also get one extra HP. Calculation for HP are: Full Hit Die at 1st level, half Hit Die rounded down at even number levels and half Hit Die at odd levels rounded up. In other words, if you were a d6 Hit Die Hero class, it would come out to getting 3.5 HP per level.

30. - Top - End - #30

Fixed. Still waiting on Puc? Maybe chuck him a PM.