New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Field of Daisies: IC

(Recruitment thread contains links to OOC and dice rolls; it's here)

4 Nuzyael

A mild Spring sun sheds light down on the village of Falkath, a small village with rocky soil spotted with farmland, copses of woods, and houses built mainly of wood and thatched roofs. A flag atop a small wood watchtower on the highest point in the village flaps lazily with the breeze.

The Bailiff of Falkath, Sir Mayald Vobenor, has called several of the village's serfs to the Falkath Commons, located near his small Manorhouse, to address them regarding recent events. He has with him Beadle Narus, of Kessen, and Narus' deputy Brian, as well as his own servant, Peter.

Mayald steps forward, the limp caused by his long-past injury obvious to all who watch. "I am recently told by Seld that his wife is deranged with worry over their two sons," he begins and then pauses to issue a soft snort of impatience. "They have gone missing two days hence already."

Some of the crowd stir; Seld's children are known trouble makers and not well liked by most parents due to Seld's children's treatment of their own children and lack of respect.

Mayald continues. "I don't care too much what mischief those brats have got round to. Our life's hard enough out here without havin' to worry overmuch about the likes of them. But they owe their life and loyalty to the liege-lord, and I'm his representative." He pauses once again to snarl at Seld, who is standing off to the side with his own head hung low. "So I'm appointing a party to look for the boys. Brian, here," he gestures for Brian to step forward, "my servant Peter, who I don't need to cook for me as I've my Uncle who can fill in for now, and Lucas who may be blind as bats but knows the area as well as any." He shakes his head, rolling his eyes, before continuing. "Ye're to all give your attention if they want to know what's been goin' on with those boys. Tell your neighbors who mayn't be here the same. That's all."

After turning abruptly and summoning Narus along with him, Mayald begins to head back toward his Manorhouse. The villagers begin to disperse, muttering

[So there we have some background. Hopefully there is sufficient narrative to establish something of a background. If not, please ask in the OOC thread, or here if you think it's an appropriately short answer you suspect may be forthcoming. You may begin your posts assuming the villagers have already dispersed back to their daily routines, and having gathered together just after the audience with Mayald to discuss his mandate on you.]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Field of Daisies: IC

4 Nuzyael

Peter, Brian, and Lucas have gathered near where Mayald gave his speech. As the villagers disperse, one remains and approaches. Peter recognizes Seld, the man who approached Mayald in the first place. Being a serf, even if a prosperous one, Seld recognizes his betters and tempers his speech somewhat, but he still comes off a bit aggressive.

Seld addresses Peter, first. "I know you'll be finding me boy. We've had a good a life as any out here. As good as peasants can anyway. The bailiff's got a chip on his shoulder as his son died long ago, and I think he'll not be kind if he thinks me and me wife's wasted ours. I'll bet that bastard Tarwal has took them."

The village itself is unfolded all around you. Mayald's Manorhouse, a collection of well-constructed wood-and-thatch buildings where Mayald, his Uncle, and any Noble guests that might visit would live, is just off to the south from the Falkath Commons, up a hill. A crude, forked dirt path leads down from the Manorhouse. The path makes a large loop around the homes of Falkath's Villeins (most prosperous, productive peasant serfs), of which Seld is one, and Cottars (less prosperous serfs). To the west and south lie the borders of the larger wooded area Falkath borders. Farmland and orchards mark the rest of the land to the north, east, and south east.

[I'd encourage you to speak amongst yourselves and (or?) approach the villagers. It's likely they know something. Seld, here, may have a clue or two if handled properly. Lucas has general knowledge of the surrounding lands, given his occupation, and will be able to provide advice in that regard. Peter and Brian are likely a bit more knowledgeable about the affairs within the village itself. The 'Beadle' is something like a modern-day sheriff--he's the one responsible for keeping order in the village.]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Lucas

"Don't worry Seld, we'll find your lads. They're probably just holed up somewhere, cold, miserable and having the time of their life. Y'know what kids are like."
    Last edited by R4ph; 2008-12-18 at 07:32 AM.
    Please note that this material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or instruction.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Brian

"But, if anyone has taken them we'll make sure they get what they're due and that your boys gt back safely."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

4 Nuzyael

Seld nods but looks on doubtfully. As he turns to head back toward his home near the Commons, he makes a final remark. "I know the boys aren't well liked. Me and Benea ain't much liked, either, on account of our fortunes. I don't care. My boys aren't law breakers. They like to get up to their mischief with the Reeve's kids. Reeve Gaben is a right bastard, but don't you tell him I said it. His kids ain't gonna get punished for anything ever." Then he starts to stalk off.
    Last edited by Jerrent; 2008-12-19 at 05:49 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Brian

"So Lucas who do you want to ask questions to first?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Lucas

Lucas scratched the back of his neck, thinking. Suppose the best thing we could do is ask around, see when the boys were seen last. Maybe we could get some idea where to start looking if someone had seen them off somewhere.
    Please note that this material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or instruction.

8. - Top - End - #8

Brian

"Well let's go ask him." he says pointing to a man in the crowd. He walks over to this man and says, "Hello. Do you know where you last saw the boys and who might have seen them after you?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

4 Nuzyael, near midday

The man, who had been among the last to start returning to his fields, gives a start as he is halted by Yeoman Brian. He shrinks into himself a little as he turns to answer.

"Hullo, y-yeoman," he starts in a stutter-filled speech. "D-d-d-d-don't know a-b-b-b-b-bout Seld's b-boys. They's always about th-throwing rocks at each oth-oth-oth-other and don't care n-n-n-none who else they h-hit. M-m-m-m-m-me inc-cluded." He pauses to catch his breath. "Last I s-s-saw them they w-w-was over t' the P-p-p-pond. B-b-b-but that was d-d-d-days ago."

[In case you decide to go over there rather than the serf homes in the village center, Falkath's Pond is off to the south and west, set a bit away from the village center and surrounded by the line of the forest bordering Falkath.]

10. - Top - End - #10

Brian

"Ok. You can go now.:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

[I am traveling all day tomorrow, so tonight will be my last chance to update until Wednesday, which will have updates at the usual times if necessary. Perfect opportunity for yous guys to take another action or two.]

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

[Has interest in this one died? Post a reply to get the game going again or else I'll let it whither, I guess.]