New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Gestalt Pirates

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Gestalt Pirates

The Ebon Rose sailed gracefully through the sea, heading towards the gold ship that was rumored to be on its way to the Haros Government.

A Northern wind helped their cause as they raced to intercept the ship on its route. Everyone was in a good mood.

Rp time for now.
    Not wearing your seat belt? See you soon!
    Thanks to Kwarkpudding for this excellent avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Gestalt Pirates

Ruby

The elf rolls up the charts and puts them in his map case. After adjusting his impeccable attire of a white shirt, blue pants and a red sash, he saunters over towards the Captain. What appears to be a belaying pin flogs against his leg as it has a leather thong tethering it to his belt. A quiet calm and confidence that is often seen in the rich and nobleborn emanates from Ruby. When he notices that someone is watching, he smiles quickly and winks. Once near the Captain, he reports, "The winds are in our favor, Captain, thus we have no need for arcane assistance at the moment. What are our orders?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Captain Tortuga

Captain Avery Tortuga stands triumphantly at the stern of the Ebon Rose. He adjusts his green feathered bicorne and dark green overcoat. Exotic crocodile skin boots, large rings, and a conspicuous pearl earring accentuate the captains unique style. A walking arsenal, a rapier, cutlass, and whip hang from his belt, while a baldric of daggers crosses his chest. Scales hidden by a thick beard hint at a draconic heritage. He smiles upon hearing Ruby's report, the golden ship was within his grasp. He shouts orders to his crew as swiftly he makes his way to the bow.

"Fly the colors. Maintain course. Approach the enemy along the starboard side. Man the bombard and ballista. Aim for the masts and rigging; cripple that ship. Ready the gangway and prepare to board! And somebody get the cook out of the galley!" He draws his rapier and points prophetically towards the distant ship " Drink up me hearties YO HO!
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    But isn't it a racial power of college students to obtain various materials for free over the internets from "legitimate sources"?
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

4. - Top - End - #4

Delain

Delain stretched his arms out and checked his weapon as they neared ths ship. "Any more wind and those damned sails would burst."He remarked as he watched the other ship get closer. Delain began to inspect the ship's weapons before they had to use them.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

5. - Top - End - #5

Onyx

Onyxaraxamas the Crimson Blade, or Onyx to those who didn't like spilling out the entire alphabet in one name, walks up to the forecastle of the ship, eagerly awaiting the plunder and combat to come. Dressed in his standard black and white leathers, as usual, he grips the hilts of his twin cutlasses. Sniffing the air, the half-dragon seems to light up in anticipation.

"Smell that boys?", in a shout. "That's the smell o' plunder an' infamy! Get yerselves readied, lads, or else 'ave a nice look at m' arse as I leave ye behind an' take all th' glory for m'self an' the capt'n."

Onyx realizes that it's a touch too soon to start shouting battlecries, but it's never too early to start rallying the crew.

6. - Top - End - #6

Muir

Upon hearing that they're approaching the target, Muir finishes his meditations. Standing up from the deck, he hangs his holy symbol back around his neck, smooths out his open-fronted sea blue robes and pats the back of the big cat sprawled on the timbers.

"Come, girl, we have work to do."

As he approaches the stern to report to the captain, the strong breeze ruffles his hair and he allows a smile to play across his lips.

"The winds are with us Captain. T'would seem the gods favour us. I shall see about gathering the crew so that I can cast some spells; a little more divine backing can hardly go amiss."
    Last edited by Saeveo; 2008-12-20 at 07:51 PM.
    For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are that you're one of them.

We are here for the sake of others.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

The crew upon The Ebon Rose smiled and cheered. Soon after, night fell. The first mate stood watch, and maintained the course. Nothing eventful happened, and it was morning once more.

They were but hours away from the ship, and prepared ropes with hooks to baord the enmy ship. Planks were already prepped and ready. The ballista was loaded and and bolts beside it placed.

Everyone knew what their job was.

Can I get a plan of action?

ex: hide and wait for them to approach, or hit them straight on?

This is perhaps the most amazing idea I have heard in eons. Thank you kind slayer of Death.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Cookie

Down in the ships galley, Cookie was preparing himself. After tying up Eloquent Fang, he soothes her. "Don't worry girl. There's going to be a lot of noise, and shouting,but it'll be allright. If the ship sinks, I'll come back for you."

Feeling that his dire weasal was sufficiently soothed, Cookie dons his gear, all which seems rather grubby and tattered. First his boots, vest and cloak, then his rings and gloves before finally, reverantly placing his grubby white chefs hat firmly on his head. "Can't be seen without it, eh?"

Feeling ready to emerge, Cookie looks around the galley, checking again that he had everything tied down, just in case, before heading up and lurking on deck, grabbing his axe on the way out. "Cupboards closed, Eloquent Fang tied up, grub ready to be served...spellsbook hidden...yeah, that's everything."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can it be assumed, captain willing, that I disguise shiped us beforehand?

Also, lurking roll: hide - (1d20+36)[39]
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

9. - Top - End - #9

Delain finishes checking the ship's weapons, and retrieves his own sword from the scabbard at his side, it crackles as he does. A muttered series of arcane incantations while holding the blade gives Delain facility with the blade as though he had trained with it. A quick flourish with the blade, which explodes into crackling yellow lightning again, and Delain stores it back in his scabbard.
    Delain moves belowdecks for a moment to examine his chest and it's lock. Delain opens the chest, and then places the oilskin suit he had been wearing inside. At a thought, a massive leaf, or series of them, wraps over the clothing Delain had been wearing underneath. Looking over what is left, Delain grabs a pair of bolt cutters and stuffs them into a loop on his belt. And then grabs a crowbar and sticks in opposite his scabbard. He withdraws from a pouch a tiny bell and some wire, closing the chest and locking it securely, Delain touches the lid of the chest, there is a slight ping. Delain returns abovedecks to monitor the progress of the ship.
    "Rern!" The parrot, sleeping somewhere about the ship, awakens to it's master's call and flies to him. The familiar and master then begin babbling to each other in draconic.
    {casted master's touch on my rapier. Proficiency= WIN! Cast Alarm (mental alarm) on my chest.}

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Teruska Bas

Melds:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bold is bound, [is short description], number is essentia

Cerulean Sandals: [Walk on Water, +5' per Essentia], 0
    Incarnate Weapon: [Magical Longsword, +1 enhancement bonus pE], 3
    Incarnate Avatar: [Makes me look like a Marut, +1 to hit pE], 3
    Crystal Helm: [+2 vs. charm/compulsion, +1 deflect pE, Melee has force descriptor], 3
    Spellward Shirt: [SR 5, +4 pE], 3 SR 17

"We shall have to recruit more crew after this."
    The Skarn looks without emotion on their prey, absentmindedly polishing his spines.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2008-12-21 at 10:47 PM.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

11. - Top - End - #11

Captain Tortuga

Avery spent most of the night watching to chase unfold, giving orders when needed, always smiling as the Rose closed on its prey. He found a few spare hours to sleep, promptly returning to the stern'castle to direct his ship in the chase. When the distance between the two ships closed even further, the captain breaks into song, singing a pirate shanty to encourage the crew:
    "Well it's all for me grog, me jolly jolly grog,
    It's all for me beer and tobacco.
    For I spent all me tin on the lassies drinking gin,
    Far across the western ocean I must wander. "

While singing, he passes up and down the decks, inspecting the ropes, hooks, grappling ramp, ballista, bombard, and crew
    When he finishes the song, he issues a few more commands.
    "When we close with the vessel, make no offensive actions until I give the order. If we can take her without bloodshed, tis good, if'n we can't, all the better. But luck favors the prepared, so when I give the order fire the ballista and bombard and lower the grappling ramp. Teruska, Onyx, Muir, Cookie, and I will storm the ship, while Delain and Ruby provide cover fire and direct the crew to continue firing."
    Last edited by Durendal; 2008-12-21 at 10:08 PM.
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    But isn't it a racial power of college students to obtain various materials for free over the internets from "legitimate sources"?
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

12. - Top - End - #12

"I could slow her at the very least captain. Tangled rigging does wonders for closing gaps." Delain still has to resist engrained impulses to yell "Captain on deck". "Or I could blind the lot of them. Certainly make it an easier fight." He looks at his parrot. "I do believe that Rern agrees with me."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Cookie

"You wantin' we should 'ave a bit more assistance? I could speed us all up, or turn inta troll. Or make us all biga, or them all smalla, or both. Nice an' easy, eh? Once their all tiny tiny people, an' we're all giants wit' a rampagin' troll, they'd give up straight off, eh? Should be done by lunch, an' hopefully they've got some nice stuff there, eh?"

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateCaptain

Ruby

The elf takes his time to memorize a number of create water spells for the day in the event fires break out on the ship. Ready for what to come, he emerges just before his watch.

After orders are given, Ruby listens to the others. "As you wish, Captain," Ruby bows and simply smiles. "If I may remind you, Captain, that those that are under my influence should not be targeted."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

15. - Top - End - #15

Captain Tortuga

"Wait to cast defensive magics until we are closer to the enemy vessel, and all offensive spells must wait until negotiations have failed. This ship may be on its way to Haros, but it is not flying their colors. That said, creativity is the spiced rum of life me harties, so do as you will once the battle has begun." Avery states, giving Delain's parrot a queer look. Never thought I'd have to listen to the parrot too. Hopefully we can end this quickly and find out what we need. As well as make some gold...

Avery then draws his rapier and whip, cracks the whip about his head, latches on to the yard and swings to the fore'castle. When the Rose is within shouting distance of the golden ship, Avery will attempt to parley with the golden ship's captain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Use Rope(1d20+9)[21] DC 10+4=14. Use Rope to secure "grappling hook" as move action, then another move action to swing the twenty feet to the fore'castle. My plan is to first try to fascinate the captain or crew of the ship, then try diplomacy to let us rob the ship.
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Cookie

"Well, if'n we does get inta fight, it'll be good to know that I didn' prepare some fun spells fa naught. I guess pretty soon they'll be up to they're knecks in lightnin' an' trolls." Cookie says, not to anyone in paticular.

When the parley starts, Cookie begins muttering under his breath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Depending on how much time the parley lasts, preparing for the upcoming fight. First casting fly on himself, then sonic weapon on his handaxe, then sheild on himself, and then waits to see what happens. If negotiations don't go well, then Cookie casts haste on the crew. Well, it's good to plan ahead, right?

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

17. - Top - End - #17

Muir

"I shall see to it, Captain, that the crew are protected by the appropriate spells."

Once the enemy ship comes within sight, Muir manages to get the crew together for long enough to cast Mass Aid, Blessed Aim and Mass Shield of Faith. (The first two upon everyone, the last upon the party members and two of the crew.)

18. - Top - End - #18

Onyx

Onyx grimaces at the thought of parley. Great, more talkin'. That be the last thing I need. Sighing, the half dragon stands a respectful distance behind his captain, ready to leap to the other ship at a moments notice.

19. - Top - End - #19

PirateCaptain

Ruby

The elf rolls his eyes and says, "Captain, if I may remind you that you may need someone to translate among the boarding party. Unless there is one among you who is able to speak over ten languages as I am, then I suggest you take me with you. In addition, my negotiation abilities have not let me down thus far...especially when I can influence their captain or crew without warning anyone."

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

Since we have sailed together, it would be known that spells occur around Ruby without any inclination that he is casting them.

mage armor and heart of water (extended) are up.

Just a reminder...nerveskitter will be used at start of combat, giving Ruby a total of +10 for Initiative.

I will need to log on to change spells, but there should be a bunch of create waters in there.

Stat Block:
    Spoiler
    Show

AC 19 (t15, ff 14)
    HP 45/45
    Fort +3, Ref +7, Will +8
    Initiative +10 (with nerveskitter)

spells active:
    mage armor (8 hours)
    heart of water (16 hours)
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

20. - Top - End - #20

Captain Tortuga

It seems to me that they be restless and battle hungry. While I cannot condone wanton violence, I cannot deny them their natural urges. As such, I will forgo parley, and instead indulge in melee. With that the captain revokes his previous commands and issues new orders to the crew.

"I have heard yer complaints, and have decided to let ye all indulge yerselfs. That is to say, do as you will. Let this battle be at testament to yer abilities. But if'n they do surrender, I axpect ye to keep to thine honor."

"Maintain heading, Approach on their starboard side. Disable, Grapple, and Board."
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Teruska Bas

Almost as though he is reading the captains mind, the Skarn turns and salutes.
    "Sir, permission to see if the enemy can be taken by non-violent means?"
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

22. - Top - End - #22

Delain

Delain nods, and starts chanting underneath his breath.

Spoiler
    Show

Delain will cast Animate Rope on the opposing ship's rigging as soon as he can.
    Following that, depending on if the ship is in range, Delain will cast summon monster I onto the deck of the other ship, for a fiendish monkey. Failing that, Delain casts a Lesser Flame Orb onto the deck, away from the boarding party, but in front of the defenders, if it light's something on fire, Delain cast's Pyrotechnics on it to create smoke.
    Last edited by Aergoth; 2008-12-26 at 05:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

PirateCaptain

Ruby

Knowing that his arcane companion is most likely going to start causing carnage, the roan-haired elf decides a more subtle approach is useful. He moves to the forecastle (near Delain) and invokes a protective ship-colored bubble.

Then, he will wait to be within range where he takes the time to cast a second spell when he sees his target in range.

ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

Invoking tiny hut - Delain and Ruby (and anyone else inside have total concealment) and are not subject to winds and the like. It lasts 16 hours.

Then he will cast charm moster on captain of other ship (DC 22 due to Beguiler 'Cloaked Casting' bonus)
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Apoligies. Christmas time makes me busy.

You are now within sight of the other ship. They have not fired as disguise ship is in effect. You are within 1,000 feet of them, and they have changed course to intercept you.

Actions?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Cookie

"Come on ya daft ruddy bastards! Cookie's a-waitin' fer ye ta try an' take us!" Cookie shouts at the top of his voice, and waves his handaxe, now crackling with energy in the air.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cookie then casts Cat's Grace on himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

26. - Top - End - #26

Having cast his buffs, Muir returns to the captain.

"I shall harass them as you make your approach, Captain."

With that, he transforms into a Dire Osprey (Dire Hawk, for all purposes.) and takes off. He rises to about 100ft, then begins to approach the enemy ship.

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler
    Show

I'll roll spot to see if I can notice anything then, emphasis on weaponry, identifying marks or similar and type. Ready a cast of Animate Rope to cast on the rigging as soon as possible.
    (1d20+1)[18]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Cookie

"An' I'll go 'elp 'im, so that they've got two of us ta deal wit' in the meantime!" Cookie shouts, and rises into the air, chasing after Muir. "This should be a bit'o fun!" he shouts, wildly waving his handaxe as he approaches.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

29. - Top - End - #29

Onyx

"They ain't got the look o' nothin' special, Capt'n. I say we just get at 'em and forget the par...snips, was it? Talkin' ain't never done a bit o' good for a pirate anyways. But those're just my thoughts on th' matter. 'Sides, 'alf the crew ain't involved in th' talkin' bit anyways. Where's th' fun for yer men?" Onyx shrugs, his part spoken. Always looking out for the crew, that's Onyx.

30. - Top - End - #30

Captain Tortuga

"Very astute Onyx. Which is the reason I am giving the crew liberty to show me their full potential. Once we board their ship, I expect a true display of melee and mayhem, as to properly convince me as to why I share my ill gotten gains with ye scurvious lot. Or put most simply, do as you will."

After addressing his second mate, Avery waits for the golden ship to come within boarding range. When the ships are nearly side to side, Avery will flourish his rapier and cutlass and sing thus:

Come cheer up my lads, it's to glory we steer,
    To add something more to this wonderful year.
    To honor we call you, as free men, not slaves,
    For who are so free as the sons of the waves.

Heart of oak are our ships,
    Heart of oak are our men.
    We always are ready,
    Steady, boys, steady,
    We'll fight and we'll conquer, again and again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Avery will use a standard action to Inspire Courage and Rally the Crew, taking 3d4=(3d4)[8] non-lethal damage to double the bonus, then spending an immediate action to cast Inspirational Boost from the eternal wand in the rapier, and a free action to activate his Badge of Valor to increase it by 2: 2(3+1)+2= +10 bonus to hit and damage with weapons. When initiative is rolled, if Avery wins, he'll use an immediate action to cast Shock and Awe from the wand in the cutlass. The Harmonizing Rapier extends the effect of Inspire Courage for ten rounds after I stop singing.
    Awesome Avatar by bayar

Quoted for the truth:
    Harsk
    Captain Avery Tortuga