New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

Changes to cloaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    February 12
    • Reworded Engulf
    • Added line to cloak and removed all "wearing cloaker through cloak silliness"
    • Made engulfing leap work in a straight line
    • Cloak's flight no longer works regardless of weight
    • Cloak can now be used on creatures a single size category larger

February 13
    • Made Moans Scaly.
    • Changed Improved Engulf bity-thingy
    On an unrelated note the Lemure should probably be changed to start with a single dark ascendancy point, that way when a lemure who started at first level changes form it'll be able to trade in all of its levels instead of all but one.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Aboleth

I like what you did with the Aboleth. Of course, my whole interpretation of things is to look tham up on the pathfinder bestiary and see if I can understand the abilities as the monster have them, then look for some lore on the creature and see more lore-related abilities.

Now, a big suggestion: Don't-Change-The-Memory-of-Eons.

Why's that? I know you said you made a better draft and all, and this is the simplified version. And what's wrong with it? It's easy, it's elegant, it's simple, and I did show it to two of my players (a more pro-type and a more casual type) and both liked it. Of course, that's because in my games Knowledge skills are very important, always. It's cool, tha mechanic does what the fluff makes us expect, it's simple and a casual player could understand: It's sexy.

Remember, simpler is better.

3. - Top - End - #483

BTW, editors, I wish to complete the Ragewalker. I contacted the creator, and since I don't know if he'll ever awser, here's the original petition.

"Hello homebrewer.

I'm long time lurker in these forums, and use many of the things here, modified to fit my setting, in my Player's Guide. I kept looking for some monster classes, and found that you had the initiative to begin the ragewalker.

You see, in my campaign now we have a Nymph (GiTP custom monster class, adapted) character, and I developed the fey (gave them four subtypes, Nymphe, the ladies of nature like dryads, Sidhe, the rulers and all, that I razed the eladrin to the ground and to use as fey of the Sidhe, Sprites and more) and one of the most important Sidhe for the courts and for the LeannanSidhe ("Nymph") character in the party is the Ragewalker. Unfortunately you don't seem to have time to finish this one. I'm here to ask if you think I could finish it for you.

I don't know if you have time to even take a look here, but if you don't, in any case, I'm going to send this exact message to the mods to see if I can finish it.

Thanks in advance, more Gnosis less Rage, DiBastet."

I'll begin the working on it.

EDIT: Oh, the kind sir did awser promptly and gave me his blessing, btw. Classy guy.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2011-02-14 at 10:12 AM.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

4. - Top - End - #484

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DiBastet View Post
    The Aboleth

I like what you did with the Aboleth. Of course, my whole interpretation of things is to look tham up on the pathfinder bestiary and see if I can understand the abilities as the monster have them, then look for some lore on the creature and see more lore-related abilities.

Now, a big suggestion: Don't-Change-The-Memory-of-Eons.

Why's that? I know you said you made a better draft and all, and this is the simplified version. And what's wrong with it? It's easy, it's elegant, it's simple, and I did show it to two of my players (a more pro-type and a more casual type) and both liked it. Of course, that's because in my games Knowledge skills are very important, always. It's cool, tha mechanic does what the fluff makes us expect, it's simple and a casual player could understand: It's sexy.

Remember, simpler is better.

I'm glad they both liked it, and since the other option was editing Bardic Knowledge and fiddling with it until I liked it, I think I shall agree. Again, glad ya like it
    P.S You'll find the best lore in Lords of Madness, which is where I got the variants (and thus the Primordial Paths) from.

5. - Top - End - #485

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Just asking, why did you ban gaining Dark Ascendancy points if starting beyond 1st level?
    Well, it kind of defeats the spirit of the class if a campaign starts at 10th level, you take that level of Lemure, 9 levels of, say, Hexblade, and then with your next level, you become a pit fiend/Hexblade. You weren't really truly affected, and it just becomes an optimization trick rather than a real development point for the character.

How do you pronounce Chthonic, eh?
    THONE-ik.

Might want the class to stack with initiator classes for IL, or at least make it available with a feat.
    You lost me. IL?

I know this is gonna sound a bit annoying, but i'm not good with ToB so I can't really comment on the manuvers much, other than ask you - what gave you the idea to give it stances? Just curious.
    I touched on that in the comments, but when I was brainstorming ideas for the class, I had a crapton of ideas for movement techniques and stalking abilities, to help sell the notion of Medusae as threats skulking in the ruins or forcing her way up the ranks of the thieves guild to become leader.

Simultaneously finding myself lost for an idea to give some strategic decision making to 1st level, I decided to solve both problems at once with the stances. You're having to decide what stance is most appropriate at low level and you get the character creation edge of figuring out what stances you want or which suit your character best. I think it works out.

Lemure changes, Feb 14, 2011:
    • The puddle form moved from Pawn of the Nine Hells and into its own ability, named 'Truckle'.
    • Lemures gain a Dark Ascendancy point for taking a level in the class. This simultaneously fixes an issue with the example given and the ugliness of the 4-9-14-19 progression for abilities (changed to 5-10-15-20).
    • Thanks to Saidoro & TheGeckoking.

Medusa changes, February 14th, 2010:
    • I'd forgotten to give the Medusa poison numbers for 1st level. Now deals 1d4 initial and 1d4 secondary.
    • Seductive Hiss revised. It now gives the enemy penalties to hit (or to DCs) if they would strike the Medusa and there's another target in range. It doesn't require as hefty an action anymore, but it is a standard cha-based DC that allows victims to use their choice of will save or sense motive, so it's less reliable to use.
    • Thanks to Geckoking and Gorgondantess for the feedback.

BTW, editors, I wish to complete the Ragewalker. I contacted the creator, and since I don't know if he'll ever awser, here's the original petition.

I'll begin the working on it.
    I have no real issue with you taking on the Ragewalker, aside from the fact that you're a first time poster taking on a fairly extensive class. It's halfway done, though, so go on ahead.

I would love it if you shared your experiences with the monster class(es) here. I think others might enjoy it. We don't tend to hear from people who use or play alongside any of the monster classes.

Also, while looking for inspiration elsewhere is great, recognize that we're predominantly using 3.5, not 3.P.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-02-14 at 11:48 AM.

6. - Top - End - #486

IL=Initiator Level, and glad you found my nattering useful.

7. - Top - End - #487

Medusa stances or techniques don't really translate to initiator levels, so I don't see the need.

Edit: I should say, rather, that they don't translate to the kind of training and skill that initiator levels represent.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-02-14 at 12:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    We don't tend to hear from people who use or play alongside any of the monster classes.
    What a sacrilege!

Well, what can I say. First, I should say that we agree with many things Pathfinder, including the ECL = CR thing. They changed for the better many creatures, and many spells aren't so ubber now, and yada yada you all are designers and already know. So I made, basicaly, 3 little alterations on this Nymph here, 1 to make the class give all the attribute bonuses of the PF nymph, since players insist that the monster classes should give the attributes equal to the monters in the book (if the monsters aren't pathfinder we remake using the guides from the Bestiary -the ragewalker lost almost 10 excess CHA!); 2 to give the muse-like ability to inspire bards; and 3 one thing we believe: That if an iconic ability is given too "late" on the monster carreer he sould gain a weaker or very weaker version before. In the end this became that she gained a weaker stunning glance (dazing glance) at lower levels and just gained a weaker blinding beauty (fascinating beauty) at level 4.

She decided to make the nymph very versatile, instead of focusing on thing above the others. So the player decided to spend at maximum two feats on each of her iconic roles (healer, battlefield control, extra force with summons and hot chick). She's been using her druid spellcasting as a battlefield control, draconic aura of healing and the UMD skill + a flower bouqet (wand) of CLW as healing, uses her dazing glance to stop the most troublesome opponent, intends on using the blinding beauty (still working with the other players a signal that she's going to tear away her clothes and they should close their eyes) often, and exactly now is drooling on getting her hands on Stunning Glance (we have a spiked chain rogue and TWF sneak-attack fighter flank buddies). She's counting on her natural abilities only for defense, the bonuses to saves and specially the deflection are being all the difference (we nerf it as PF, limiting to class level, it's more balanced this way).

So, the girl's playing with the nymph since 1st level now. We're on the 14th game session and she just hit level 4. All in all there's a big difference between her and the rest of the party in the feel of her abilties. The glance is cool, the deflection nobody has, but the players don't feel (and are not) overshadowed by her monster abilities. We even had a GiTP dragon for two sessions but the player said he missed the class abilities too much, and coincidently (for real, no joke) the dragon died the same session, wich relieved him.

The player is having fun and she certainly doesn't break the game. She intends to take a level o bard and go Green Whisperer, maybe even Fochlucan Lyrist in the future. Seems bright.

I can say that except for some taste issues, not balance ones (the attributes, the weaker version of abilities and the limiting to HD), the nymph stands pretty much as a good class. A monster, and the player should never forget that, but a good class.

PS: Except by te HORRIBLE HD x CHA thing!
    PS2: Would a re-work on the nymph be possible by me (actually, post as a re-work the things I already fixed and am using)?
    PS3: Too expensive, I like Xbox360 better...
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

9. - Top - End - #489

Well, what can I say. First, I should say that we agree with many things Pathfinder, including the ECL = CR thing. They changed for the better many creatures, and many spells aren't so ubber now, and yada yada you all are designers and already know. So I made, basicaly, 3 little alterations on this Nymph here, 1 to make the class give all the attribute bonuses of the PF nymph, since players insist that the monster classes should give the attributes equal to the monters in the book (if the monsters aren't pathfinder we remake using the guides from the Bestiary -the ragewalker lost almost 10 excess CHA!); 2 to give the muse-like ability to inspire bards; and 3 one thing we believe: That if an iconic ability is given too "late" on the monster carreer he sould gain a weaker or very weaker version before. In the end this became that she gained a weaker stunning glance (dazing glance) at lower levels and just gained a weaker blinding beauty (fascinating beauty) at level 4.
    It should be stressed that while whatever a group decides to do to a monster is fine, that one of the big parts of this project is doing away with huge attribute bonuses that many monsters have, as they can lead to problems. Be sure to read through the first few posts of this thread, particularly the Homebrew Guidelines bit.

PS2: Would a re-work on the nymph be possible by me (actually, post as a re-work the things I already fixed and am using)?
    I think before we have you commit to any further classes, we should see how you do with the Ragewalker.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-02-14 at 12:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490

Sure, whatever a party decides should be used. There are some sensibilities here that while I don't agree, should be used since it's the major vote, the pattern, and I simply follow them for the greater good (it does for other nothing if I'm ready and nice with my ragewalker if only I can use, and this is against the purpose of a topic like this). So I'll make the ragewalker taking these sensibilities in regard (a.k.a "for everyone", then expand it to my group's, of course (a.k.a. "for the bros").

BTW, there is one formating question I should ask. I find that odd ability bonuses are... odd. Of course the guidelines say that "Ability Scores typically shouldn’t increase more than +1 for any Given Ability Score per Level". But is this a requirement or taste? We like better to give bonuses less times and givem them 2 at a time instead of 1. If it's a requirement it's only a minor problem for me, just break the +2 into two +1 and there I go.

Second, i just post it here, on this very thread, following the style guides, right?
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

11. - Top - End - #491

Sure, whatever a party decides should be used. There are some sensibilities here that while I don't agree, should be used since it's the major vote, the pattern, and I simply follow them for the greater good (it does for other nothing if I'm ready and nice with my ragewalker if only I can use, and this is against the purpose of a topic like this). So I'll make the ragewalker taking these sensibilities in regard (a.k.a "for everyone", then expand it to my group's, of course (a.k.a. "for the bros").
    Which don't you agree with and why? I'd rather hammer that out sooner than have it come up later as an issue. Also, if we bring it up, I could try explaining the rationale behind it and hammering out why it is in practice.

BTW, there is one formating question I should ask. I find that odd ability bonuses are... odd. Of course the guidelines say that "Ability Scores typically shouldn’t increase more than +1 for any Given Ability Score per Level". But is this a requirement or taste? We like better to give bonuses less times and givem them 2 at a time instead of 1. If it's a requirement it's only a minor problem for me, just break the +2 into two +1 and there I go.
    Odd ability score bonuses are odd because it allows a smoother progression. Someone taking just one level in troll gets a small bonus, rather than having to take two to get that concrete bonus.

You may be used to the ability score adjustments for race, which are even because they make for a concrete +1 or -2, and have no reason to scale because you only ever get one race, which doesn't advance.

Second, i just post it here, on this very thread, following the style guides, right?
    Right. If you're modifying an existing class, I might recommend quoting it and then deleting the quote tags, to copy it and the formatting.

12. - Top - End - #492

Thinking now, i'm not fond of the Aboleth picture. So, to anyone reading, how would any (maybe resized version) of any of the following be? Better? Worse?

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...rodigyDuck.jpg
    or
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...h_by_nanya.jpg
    or
    http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...tchMrShiny.png

13. - Top - End - #493

I kind of like the Aboleth picture you used. The second one in your list is also good. Excellently detailed and sells the aberration nature with that texturing.

One I stumbled upon a few days ago:
    Spoiler
    Show

It's more cute than anything else though.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-02-14 at 03:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Is it just me or is the Ghaele Eladrin too powerful? Full BAB, full Casting, SLAs & its other stuff.

It may well be me though.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2011-02-14 at 03:31 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

15. - Top - End - #495

RAGEWALKER (MMIII p.132)
    This is a new take on the original by AustontheGreat1, found here

CLASS
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Die: d6

RAGEWALKER
    {table=head]Level|
    BAB
    |Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Ragewalker Body, Mind of Rage, Ferocity, Grafted Armor, +1 Dex

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Styptic Armor, Damage Reduction, Animated Weapons, Animated Weapons Mode: Attack, +1 Cha

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Deflect Missiles, Spell Resistant Armor, +1 Dex

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Animated Weapons Mode: Swarm

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Command Living Spell, Induce Rage, +1 Cha, +1 Dex

6th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Animated Weapons Mode: Fury

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Repel Missiles, +1 Dex

8th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Growth, Induce Recklesness, +1 Cha

9th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Animated Weapons Mode: Line, Create Living Spell, +1 Dex

10th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Greater Ferocity

11th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Induce Frenzy, +1 Cha, +1 Dex

12th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Animated Weapons Mode: Wall

13th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Shifting Stance, +1 Dex

14th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Induce Blood Frenzy, Repel Magic, +1 Cha [/table]

Class Skills: ((6 + Int. Mod.) x 4 at first level) The Ragewalker’s class skills, as all fey, are: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Use Magic Device.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Ragewalkers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Ragewalker Body: Ragewalkers embody the natural forces of war and combat in the same way that a nymph embodies the beauty of nature or a dryad embodies the heart of its tree. At first level, the Ragewalker loses all racial bonuses, traits, and abilities and gains fey traits (essentially, lowlight vision). Ragewalkers begin as medium fey with a base land speed of 40ft. Ragewalkers speak common and sylvan, and may speak an additional language for every point of their intelligence modifier.

Mind of Rage: Ragewalkers are masters of battle among fey, raging across the battlefield in a deadly swarm of armor and blades, capable of inspiring dread and bloodlust on enemies and allies alike with their combat prowess.
    First, Ragewalker levels count as full initiator levels for the purpose of determining the highest level stances and maneuvers the Ragewalker can learn.
    Second the Ragewalker may stack any Barbarian levels with Ragewalker levels for advancing his daily uses of Rage.
    Third, whenever the Ragewalker needs to make an opposed attack roll (including a grapple check) as a consequence of another creature’s action, or is resisting a Feint attempt, it can use its total HD in place of its BAB. If a maneuver is initiated against the Ragewalker and it is required to make a strength check as a consequence, it may make a dexterity check instead.

Ferocity (Ex): Once per day, the Ragewalker can enter a state of adrenaline-fueled fury, increasing both its physical might and its reaction time. It temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength and a +4 bonus to Dexterity, but it takes a -2 penalty on ranged attack rolls beyond 30 ft.

The Ragewalker can enter this state as an immediate action, even when flat-footed at the start of combat, so it may apply the enhanced Dexterity modifier to its initiative check.

While in a state of ferocity, the Ragewalker cannot use any Charisma- or Intelligence-based skills (except for Intimidate), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can it cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. it can use any feat it has except item creation feats and metamagic feats. Ferocity lasts for a number of rounds equal to 4 + its Constitution modifier (if positive). The Ragewalker may prematurely end its state of ferocity. At the end of ferocity, it loses the ferocity modifiers and restrictions and become sickened (-2 on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks) for the duration of the current encounter (unless it is a 17th HD Ragewalker, at which point this limitation no longer applies). Abilities that normally render him immune to being sickened reduce the penalties to -1, but do not remove them entirely.

The Ragewalker can invoke ferocity only once per encounter. At 1st HD it can use this ability once per day. At 4th level and every four total HD thereafter, it can use it one additional time per day (to a maximum of six times per day at 20th HD).

Grafted Armor: A Ragewalker wears armor it has scavenged from countless battlefields and modified to suit it perfectly. When the Ragewalker gains this ability it receives a suit of armor. The Ragewalker cannot benefit from any other suit of armor while using its Grafted Armor though it may enchant this armor. This armor provides armor bonus equal to 4 + 1/3 the Ragewalker's total HD. It does not reduce movement speed or impose any sort of Armor Check Penalty, Arcane Spell Failure or Maximum Dexterity Bonus. This armor can be enchanted as any other armor and is immune to natural and magical rusting effects. If the armor is damaged, it naturally heals back at a rate of three hit point every day after the Ragewalker has taken at least 8 hours of rest, even if destroyed or torn to pieces, but not if it was disintegrated or otherwise destroyed in a way that leaves no remains. No other creature can benefit from the Ragewalker’s Grafted Armor. If lost, the Ragewalker can graft a new armor with different pieces from many armor (no price) and 24 hours of work. A Ragewalker can only have one Grafted Armor at a time.

Styptic Armor (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, whenever the Ragewalker is wearing its Grafted Armor, it heals 1 hit point of damage each round at the beginning of its turn. The amount of healing each round increases by 1 for every 3 HD the Ragewalker attains after the second (2 at 5 HD, 3 at 8 HD and so on, to a maximum of 7 at 20 HD). The armor also stops any kind of bleeding attack (like a wounding weapon) and stabilizes the Ragewalker when at –1 or less hit points.

Damage Reduction: The Ragewalker gains DR/cold iron equal to half its total HD, rounded down.

Animated Weapons (Su): Beginning at 2th level, the Ragewalker can surround itself in a swirling cloud of the weapons of fallen enemies. Any creature adjacent to the Ragewalker take 1d4 damage. This damage increases by 1d per three total HD beyond this point, and the damage die increases by one size at 11th level. This damage is slashing, piercing and bludgeoning, and damage reduction applies normally. The Ragewalker can activate or suppress this ability, as return its Animated Weapons to this basic form with a Swift Action. As the Ragewalker increases in power it learns how to use its animated weapons in other ways, but any of the Animated Weapon’s Mode abilities can only be used when this ability is activated and in this basic form. No Animated Weapon’s Mode may be used while the Ragewalker is using Ferocity or similar abilities, except for Attack.

Animated Weapon’s Mode: Attack (Su): Beginning at 2th level, the Ragewalker can use the same energy that make weapons swirl around him to throw parts of its cloud of weapons into enemies far away. The Ragewalker can use its Animated Weapons as a ranged weapon with a range increment of 30ft and threat range of 20. Using this attack removes as many die as the Ragewalker decides (minimum 1 die) from its Animated Weapons ability and causes the same amount of die as damage. This attack counts as a projectile attack. The change to the damage of its Animated Weapons ability remains until the beginning of its next turn. If the Ragewalker expends so many damage die as to bring its Animated Weapons to 0 damage die, the ability dissipates and can’t be activated again until its next turn.

Deflect Missiles (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, the Ragewalker can deflect incoming missile attacks as per the Deflect Arrows feat. The Ragewalker, however, does not need to have a free hand to use this ability. Starting at 9HD, the Ragewalker may deflect additional missiles. Doing so uses up one of the Ragewalker's attacks of opportunity for the round. If it cannot make an attack of opportunity, the missile passes through uncontested.

Spell Resistant Armor (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, whenever the Ragewalker is wearing its Grafted Armor, it gains Spell Resistance equal to 10 + its total HD.

Animated Weapon’s Mode: Swarm (Su): Beginning at 4th level, the Ragewalker can focus its Animated Weapons to become a cloud of flying weapons that roam the battlefield. As a standard action, the Ragewalker may command its Animated Weapons to act as a Bat Swarm, except that they aren’t living creatures (treat as a Construct, but don’t recalculate any ability), can only fly within 30ft of the Ragewalker, don’t cause damage to him and cause his normal Weapon Cloud Damage. The Ragewalker may control the movement of the swarm as a move action.

Command Living Spell (Su): Beginning at 5th level, the Ragewalker rebukes and commands living spells in the same way that evil clerics rebuke and control undead. A Ragewalker can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Charisma bonus (ten times per day for a typical Ragewalker). A Ragewalker rebukes and commands living spells as a cleric with a level equal to its total HD.

Induce Rage (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, the powerful emotions begin to leak from Ragewalker into the air around it in the form of a powerful gaze attack. Whenever the Ragewalker is under the effect of its Ferocity ability, it gains a gaze attack with 30ft. Creatures affected by its gaze attack must make a will save or become enraged as the Rage spell.

As the Ragewalker becomes more powerful, it unlocks new kinds of gazes, however, the Ragewalker may only project one gaze at a time, but may change the projected gaze once per round as a free action at the start of its turn. The affected creatures remain with the listed effect for a number of rounds equal to 10 minus its Wisdom modifier (minimum 1 round), even if the Ragewalker is dead or no longer present, or until the Ragewalker changes the gaze projected, whichever comes first.

The Will save DC for this affect is 10 + ½ the Ragewalker’s total HD + the Ragewalker’s Cha modifier. Any creature who successfully saves against this ability is immune to its effect for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Animated Weapon’s Mode: Fury (Su): Beginning at 6th level, the Ragewalker can focus its Animated Weapons to become a blanket of swirling weapons across the battlefield. As a standard action, the Ragewalker can use its Animated Weapons as an area attack up to 60ft away. If it chooses to affect a single square, it causes double its normal Animated Weapons damage. If it chooses to affect a 5ft / 4 HD radius it causes its normal Animated Weapons damage. Finally, if it chooses to affect a 10ft / 4 HD radius it causes half its normal Animated Weapons damage. This ability allows a Reflex save for half damage with a DC of 10 + ½ the Ragewalker’s total HD + the Ragewalker’s Dex modifier, and ends its Animated Weapons effect.

Repel Missiles (Su): Beginning at 7th level, whenever the Ragewalker is wearing its Grafted Armor, it can improve its ability to Deflect Missiles. Once per turn, when using its Deflect Missiles ability, the Ragewalker may immediately return the attack upon the attacker with the same original attack roll. Starting at 12HD, the Ragewalker may deflect additional missiles. Doing so uses up one of the Ragewalker's attacks of opportunity for the round. If it cannot make an attack of opportunity, the missile passes through uncontested.

Growth: At 8th level, the Ragewalker permanently increases one size category. In addition to this, the Ragewalker’s base land speed increases by 10ft.

Induce Recklesness (Su): Beginning at 8th level, the Ragewalker’s gaze attack may induce creatures to become too overconfident. Creatures affected by its gaze attack receive –2 to attack rolls, Dexterity, a 50% reduction to their speed (minimum 5ft) and must make a concentration check to cast any spell (DC equal to the gaze DC).

Animated Weapon’s Mode: Line (Su): Beginning at 9th level, the Ragewalker can focus its Animated Weapons to become a line of deadly steel across the battlefield. As a standard action, the Ragewalker can use its Animated Weapons as an area attack in the form of a 60ft line. This ability causes its normal Animated Weapons damage. This ability allows a Reflex save for half damage with a DC of 10 + ½ the Ragewalker’s total HD + the Ragewalker’s Dex modifier, and ends its Animated Weapons effect.

Create Living Spell (Su): Beginning at 9th level, using two daily uses of its Command Living Spell ability, the Ragewalker can create a living spell from the power of one of more spells. The Ragewalker may create a living spell with as many HD as its total HD, but must provide the spell(s) it wants to turn into Living Spells as in the creation of a magic item (another creature may provide the spells, of the Ragewalker may use a spell from an item like a scroll), and must expend 25gp in rare materials per HD of the Living Spell it wants to create, and the living spells doesn’t automatically falls under its control. If the living spell has ½ or less the Ragewalker’s HD, it becomes controlled (as per the Command Living Spell ability) by the Ragewalker, but its HD still count against its limit on controlled living spells.

Greater Ferocity (Ex): At 10th level, the Ragewalker’s bonuses to Strength and Dexterity during ferocity each increase to +6. In addition, the duration of its ferocity increases to 5 + its Constitution modifier (if positive).

Induce Frenzy (Su): Beginning at 11th level, the Ragewalker’s gaze attack may induce creatures to become enraged and unable to attack other targets, and must make a melee attack against the Ragewalker each round (using a full attack, or charging if appropriate). An affected creature is incoherent and cannot talk, cast spells, or otherwise take any action except movement or attacking.

Animated Weapon’s Mode: Slaughter (Su): Beginning at 12th level, the Ragewalker may multiply his Animated Weapons and create a curtain of deadly steel. As a standard action, the Ragewalker can use its Animated Weapons to create a 20ft high and 20ft / HD wide wall. This wall causes double his Animated Weapons damage, and creatures caught in it or crossing it may make a Reflex save for half damage with a DC of 10 + ½ the Ragewalker’s total HD + the Ragewalker’s Dex modifier.

Shifting Stance (Ex): At 13th level, while in a state of ferocity, the Ragewalker gains a +1 bonus to Reflex saves / 4 total HD. In addition, while in a state of ferocity, the Ragewalker can stand from prone as a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. If a foe that threatens him has a base attack bonus that is 4 points or more higher than his total HD, however, she gains an attack of opportunity as normal.

Induce Blood Frenzy (Su): Beginning at 14th level, the Ragewalker’s gaze attack may induce creatures to see only blood, death and vengeance. This functions as the Induce Frenzy gaze, except that the affected creatures cannot distinguish friend from foe and must make a melee attack against the nearest creature each round.

Repel Magic (Su): As Repel Missiles, except that beginning at 14th level, the Ragewalker can reflect any spell that was negated by its Spell Resistance. This ability is usable once a day, with an additional daily use for every three HD after 14HD.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, did a complete rework on the class. To start with, I asked for help to some fellow players that believed the Ragewalker should be a mix of barbarian with some xohanort-like weapon control (please look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35yH1e0YdEc to understand the animated weapons abilities) and some kind of very agile scout-like agile warrior.

So I gave him the Ferocity rage variant, different gazes that only work when raging, and specialy, new uses for his animated weapons, so he can fight different enemies.

The player more or less must decide if he’s going to rage first or if he’s going to turn its weapons into another mode, because he can’t change it while raging. However, when raging he may use his gaze attacks, but they effect both allies and foes.

He’s still got good defenses, and god knows he’ll need it with his fey d6, most of them based in his armor. It may be a good tatic for his enemies to remove his armor, and there are many flavorful campaign situations where this may crop up.

I tried to balance the abilities on existing spells with my golden rule: One HD after the full casters gain them, at the very least.

The whole intention is being a different kind of warrior, what I believe fey would be as barbarians

Changelog
    Spoiler
    Show
    09-03-11: Major revisions, really, a new version.
    Last edited by DiBastet; 2011-03-09 at 08:19 PM.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

16. - Top - End - #496

Ghaele Eladrin is one of the more hideously overpowered monsters that plague the list, yeah. Changing the picture on the Aboleth now for the more aberrant lookin' one.
    And done. Original pic is at the bottom to illustate what an Aboleth can become with enough levels. I.E it's beating up a Swordsage and a Druid, complete with crushing the Animal Companion's skull.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-02-14 at 03:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #497

I like the second aboleth picture myself. Looks all "cosmic horror".
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

18. - Top - End - #498

Goblin

This is a new take on the original by AustontheGreat1, found here. It's still not finished. Put this line in your comments, when we link to this post we just want people to see the monster.

RAGEWALKER (MMIII p.132)

CLASS
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Die: d10

RAGEWALKER
    {table=head]Level|
    BAB
    |Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Nature Child, Mind of Rage, Grafted Armor

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Fey Body, Styptic Armor

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Deflect Missiles, Lesser, Spell Resistant Armor

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Bull’s Strength

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Command Living Spell, Weapon Cloud: d4

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Repel Missiles, Lesser, Induce Blood Frenzy

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Greater Magic Weapon

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Growth

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Deflect Missiles

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Wall of Fire

11th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Weapon Cloud: d6

12th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Repel Missiles

13th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Blade Barrier

14th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Repel Magic[/table]

Class Skills: ((6 + Int. Mod.) x 4 at first level) The Ragewalker’s class skills, as all fey, are: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (local), Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, Use Magic Device.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Ragewalkers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Nature Child: Ragewalkers embody the natural forces of war and combat in the same way that a nymph embodies the beauty of nature or a dryad embodies the heart of its tree. At first level, the Ragewalker loses all racial bonuses, traits, and abilities and gains fey traits (essentially, lowlight vision). Ragewalkers begin as medium fey with a base land speed of 40ft. Ragewalkers speak common and sylvan, and may speak an additional language for every point of their intelligence modifier.

Mind of Rage: Ragewalker levels count as full initiator levels for the purpose of determining the highest level stances and maneuvers the Ragewalker can learn. Add an alternative here for those of us without ToB.

Grafted Armor: A Ragewalker wears armor it has scavenged from countless battlefields and modified to suit it perfectly. When the Ragewalker gains this ability it receives a suit of armor. The Ragewalker cannot benefit from any other suit of armor while using his Grafted Armor though it may enchant this armor. This armor provides armor bonus equal to 4 + 1/2 the Ragewalker's total HD This is a really big bonus, at 8 HD it already provides as much as full plate, can be enchanted normally, and has none of full plate's problems. And it only gets better from there.. It does not reduce movement speed or impose any sort of Armor Check Penalty or Maximum Dexterity Bonus What about arcane spell failure?. This armor is immune to natural and magical rusting effects. If the armor is damaged, it naturally heals back at a rate of three hit point every day after the Ragewalker has taken at least 8 hours of rest, even if destroyed or torn to pieces, but not if it was Desintegrated disintegrated or otherwise destroyed in a way that leaves no remains. No other creature can benefit from the Ragewalker’s Grafted Armor. If lost, the Ragewalker can graft a new armor with different pieces from many armor (no price) and 24 hours of work. A Ragewalker can only have one Grafted Armor at a time. You should probably attach a small price to rebuilding the armor. It'll be negligible by the time disintegrate comes into play, but it isn't impossible for them to lose their armor early on.

Fey Body: Beginning at 2nd level, the Ragewalker gains DR/cold iron equal to half its total HD.

Styptic Armor (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level, whenever the Ragewalker is wearing his Grafted Armor When will he not be?, it heals 1 hit point of damage each round at the beginning of its turn. The amount of healing each round increases by 1 for every 3 HD the Ragewalker attains after the second (2 at 5 HD, 3 at 8 HD and so on, to a maximum of 7 at 20 HD).

Deflect Missiles, Lesser (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, the Ragewalker can deflect incoming missile attacks as per the Deflect Arrows feat. The Ragewalker, however, does not need to have a free hand to use this ability.

Spell Resistant Armor (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, whenever the Ragewalker is wearing his Grafted Armor, it gains Spell Resistance equal to 10 + its total HD. Pretty much everything so far has been passive. Consider some ToB-esque stances/manuevers

Spell-Like Abilities: Beginning at 4th level, the Ragewalker can cast Bull’s Strength. It can also cast Greater Magic Weapon at 7th level, Wall of Fire at 10th and Blade Barrier at 13th. All these spell-like abilities are usable each one time per day per 4 total HD the Ragewalker attains. Caster Level equals its total HD. Based on Cha. Explicitly state saving throws, they should probably be set to 10+.5HD+Cha in order to remain relevant. Also it should have each level it gains spell-like abilities listed separately.

Command Living Spell (Su): Beginning at 5th level, the Ragewalker rebukes and commands living spells in the same way that evil clerics rebuke and control undead. A Ragewalker can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + its Charisma bonus (ten times per day for a typical Ragewalker). A Ragewalker rebukes and commands living spells as a cleric with a level equal to its total HD. What on earth does a primal aspect of war have to do with living spells?

Weapon Cloud (Su): Beginning at 5th level, the Ragewalker can surround itself in a swirling cloud of the weapons of fallen enemies. Any creature adjacent to the Ragewalker take 1d4 1d6? damage. This damage increases by 1d6 per three total HD beyond this point, and the damage die increases by one size at 11th level. This damage is slashing, piercing and bludgeoning, and damage reduction applies normally. By spending a use of its Greater Magic Weapon spell-like ability it may make the damage dealt by this ability magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction and gain +1 enhancement bonus to the damage rolls of the weapon cloud for every 4 HD the Ragewalker possesses (to a maximum of 5) for the duration of the spell-like ability. The Ragewalker can activate or suppress this ability with a Swift Action.

Induce Blood Frenzy (Ex): Beginning at 6th level, the powerful emotions begin to leak from Ragewalker into the air around it in the form of a powerful gaze attack. Creatures effected by this gaze attack must make a will save or become enraged and unable to distinguish friend from foe and must make a melee attack against the nearest creature each round (using a full attack if possible, or charging if appropriate). An affected creature is incoherent and cannot talk, cast spells, or otherwise take any action except movement or attacking. It remains in a frenzy for a number of rounds equal to 10 minus its Wisdom modifier (minimum 1 round), even if the Ragewalker is dead or no longer present. The save DC for this affect is 10 + ½ the Ragewalker’s total HD + the Ragewalker’s Cha modifier. Any creature who successfully saves against this ability is immune to its effect for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability.

Repel Missiles, Lesser (Su): Beginning at 6th level, whenever the Ragewalker is wearing his Grafted Armor, it can improve its ability to Deflect Missiles. When using his Deflect Missiles, Lesser ability, the Ragewalker may immediately return the attack upon the attacker with the same original attack roll.

Greater Magic weapon on its own doesn't really carry seventh level, you probably had magic weapons anyway.

Growth: At 8th level, the Ragewalker permanently increases one size category. In addition to this, the Ragewalker’s base land speed increases by 10ft.

Deflect Missiles (Ex): As Deflect Missiles, except that beginning at 9th level, the Ragewalker can deflect any number of attacks. The Ragewalker still can use Repel Missiles, Lesser only once per turn. This ability improves and substitutes Deflect Missiles, Lesser.

11th level is horrible...increasing a single d4 damage die to a d6 is not a class feature, at least it shouldn't be.

Repel Missiles (Su): As Repel Missiles, except that beginning at 12th level, the Ragewalker can reflect any number of attacks. This ability improves and substitutes Repel Missiles.

Repel Magic (Su): As Repel Missiles, except that beginning at 14th level, the Ragewalker can, once reflect any spell that was negated by its Spell Resistance. This ability is usable once per day plus one more time per three HD attained beyond this point.

COMMENTS
    Spoiler
    Show
    It’s hard being a good warrior being fey, specially with the characteristics of the racial die. You do not need to keep the racial hit-die characteristics. I like, however, to keep the type Stats and work around it with abilities, to have some “unity” or something a little more “universal” if you will. It’s pure taste, something I find a little more elegant. That’s why I didn’t give the Ragewalker a medium or good BAB progression. As it stands, the Ragewalker has no good reason to stand and full attack, and should instead use hit and run tactics, as described on MM3. If it doesn't have good BaB you need to at least give it boni to it's combat stats... or give it boni to charisma and let it use that in the place of strength if you'd find that more flavorful.

There’s the need to understand that my idea of abilities is: The simpler, the better. I tried to stay far from fancy ideas and abilities, instead trying the simplest way to give the warrior fey its abilities. Keep this in mind.

As for the abilities, I decided to tie his SR and Fast Healing to his armor. Thought it was very flavorful and gave a reason for them not to wear other, maybe better, armor. Past 8th level there ISN'T better armor. The formula of the fast healing give it as much as the monster has by 14th level, too.

The command living spells I gave at level 5 because that’s the exact level where you can learn Initiate of Nature to rebuke animals and plants, and it sounded a good balance point.

The Repel Missiles is just too cool to give at a higher level. If I’m a Ragewalker I want to have a cloud of weapons and to deflect things right now, so I decided to make some lesser versions. At first is a mere armed Deflect Arrows, that can reflect the arrows, as a magic item can. Of course, it improves to unlimited times per day and then to reflect at will. I kinda gave the reflect ability after spellcasters learn wind wall and the others, so it’s more or less okay. Good job on these ones, but I almost feel like it should become unlimited base on HD after the first ability, you can use the empty levels later to add special effects on deflection or something like that... don't be afraid to deviate from the monster.

The weapon cloud came as soon as a cleric can cast Ring of Blades. The damage is lesser than the spell until 14th level, when it becomes equal. Of course, it’s at will, but that’s the point of being a monster, to be a little different. The damage, of course, is really minimum, but it’s free.

Nothing fancy on the spell like abilities too, I tried to give them more or less after a full caster can use it. The number of uses per day give as much as the original monsters can use by 14th level.

The capstone ability… Well, it needed one, and I certainly wouldn’t create something new or different, instead I could work on something that it already had. By 20th level he’s got three uses of a pseudo spell-turning that needs the spell to be negated by his spell resistance.

Oh, you should notice no attribute adjustments, and that’s intentional: I decided to balance the levels that he would gain the abilities first, THEN choose some levels to gain adjustments (mainly Dex, with a little Con and Cha). I also will need some filler abilities here and there, like the very cool Mind of Rage of the original creator of this, probably something about maneuvers and stances or something like that.

I’ll create some fillers and wait for constructive feedback, hopefully less about how I should have spelled correctly in the first draft and more about ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    And done. Original pic is at the bottom to illustate what an Aboleth can become with enough levels. I.E it's beating up a Swordsage and a Druid, complete with crushing the Animal Companion's skull.
    Actually, that's a monk. And it was a big enough threat to cut off one of its tentacles... Awkward...
    In all seriousness though, the new pic is much better. The old one was really a picture of a couple adventures fighting a creature that just happened to be an Aboleth. The new one is actually about the Aboleth.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Saidoro View Post
    Actually, that's a monk.
    But it appears to be competent in that picture. I cannot be a monk.
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2011-02-15 at 12:32 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

20. - Top - End - #500

BRIARVEX IS BACK.

Briarvex
    • "Full strength is added to these strikes" reads a little weird.
    • Leathal should be spelled lethal.
    • Spellcheck! Oppurtunity
    • I'd remove 'per thorn point' at the end of Briar Burrow, as it reads awkwardly and is really unneeded.
    • I think what bugs me about Thorn Burrow is that it's basically sneak attack damage, without restrictions on how the damage can be applied (must be flanking, etc.), with a dex penalty until it is triggered (lowering AC, among other things). Opponents aren't really going to get a chance to remove the thorns in your usual combat, by virtue of either not having the heal skill or not being willing to take the actions to remove the thorns.
    • I don't like entangle as anything less than a move action.
    • I'd replace HD/4 times a day with something easier to read. I swear I complained about this earlier. It's confusing, and can be interpreted as 4x per HD.
    • Check
    • Check
    • Check
    • Check
    • It's less damage than Sneak Attack and requires an additional action. There is also great incentive to not deal the damage as the AC penalty might lead to higher damage when you factor in Power Attack and allies. If you still think it should be lowered, by how much?
    • Why not? I was hesitant on the Free Action but a first level spell as a Swift action at level 11 hardly seems unfair. I removed the Free Action but increased the duration starting at Move Action.
    • Check
    • You didn't list this but many others did, I vastly increased the action it takes to create permanent vegetation. It now requires a full minute and cannot be done until level 11.

21. - Top - End - #501

Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post
    [list][*]It's less damage than Sneak Attack and requires an additional action. There is also great incentive to not deal the damage as the AC penalty might lead to higher damage when you factor in Power Attack and allies. If you still think it should be lowered, by how much?
    The additional action isn't that crippling in contrast to sneak attack, when you account for the trouble rogues go to to employ sneak attack, getting into flanking positions in combat, hiding, using concealment spells or trinkets, yadda yadda.

It remains very similar to sneak attack in effect, but is easier to apply and has versatility (through AC reduction) that sneak attack does not offer.

Why not? I was hesitant on the Free Action but a first level spell as a Swift action at level 11 hardly seems unfair. I removed the Free Action but increased the duration starting at Move Action.
    D&D balance is driven in part by the action economy. Players are largely kept in line by the number of actions they are free to make, and time & time again, we've seen that things that break the limits on actions one can make are exceedingly powerful.

On the other side of the coin, save or sucks/loses/dies are what lead to victory in most/many battles.

Combine the two elements, for a 'save or suck' effect that can be used without wasting a standard or move action, and you've got an absolutely massive power increase. You're offering a hell of a lot of battlefield control for no meaningful sacrifice. IIRC, the Briarvex doesn't have a lot else to do with its swift actions, so you're not exactly losing anything by throwing out an entangle every round. In doing so, you're rendering opponents immobile (if they're next to a pillar or rock) or halving their movement and imposing a -2 to attacks and a -2 to AC. It doesn't sound like that sizeable a drawback, but when every enemy in every battle you go into suffers those penalties, it adds up considerably. And you're getting that for a 2 level investment in the class (and waiting to get 9 HD after that point, of course)

22. - Top - End - #502

Like I asked, if you think Thorn Burrow does too much damage even if you sacrifice the Dex penalty and the Swift Action to deal it, how much damage should it deal? Cap out of 5d6 instead of 6d6? Cap out at 4d6? Or would keeping the damage the same and easing the action to remove the thorns be better? I stand by that in a party of more then one physical attacker, the damage increase from the Dex penalty and Power Attack is greater then pulling out Thorns every round.

There are plenty of things to do with Swift Actions. The SLA it gets, the ability to deal damage with Thorns, and a short duration Entangle. I think there is a real choice to be made on which one to use every round. If the Briarvex wants to focus on dealing more damage he may lose a Full Round Attack and instead opt for a Move Action Entangle, freeing him to only choose between Thorn damage and his SLA for his swift action. And if the Briarvex enters a class which needs lots of swift action(ToB), the choices are even starker. If you still disagree I'll concede my point, remove the Swift Action Entangle, and move back the duration increase.

23. - Top - End - #503

Thumbs up Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

Put this line in your comments, when we link to this post we just want people to see the monster.
    I'll do once I'm finished, then you can link people to the image.

Add an alternative here for those of us without ToB.
    It's part of the original work by the other creator, and its a filler. Feel free to give an option. Seems unnecessary.

This is a really big bonus, at 8 HD it already provides as much as full plate, can be enchanted normally, and has none of full plate's problems. And it only gets better from there..
    By level 20 it's something like a +14 armor. The best I've seen around was a +10 armor, full of problems btw. I'll consider another number, maybe it should finish in +12. Good point on this one.

What about arcane spell failure?
    Sure

disintegrated or otherwise destroyed in a way that leaves no remains
    Sure

You should probably attach a small price to rebuilding the armor. It'll be negligible by the time disintegrate comes into play, but it isn't impossible for them to lose their armor early on.
    Never. it's part of the lore to begin with, and don't clutter something with unnecessary. When it appears it's negligible, and if it's negligibe there's no need to be here. Simpler's better.

When will he not be?
    When he's sleeping? Inside a court with a no-armor sign? In any of the many situations that come in a campaign but never in CO? One day or another he might not be in the armor, and the player should know that the ability works only while in his armor.

Pretty much everything so far has been passive. Consider some ToB-esque stances/manuevers
    The previous author received a big no for one of the council about ToB things. He probably wanted to much in any case. Good point here. I shall take a look.

Explicitly state saving throws, they should probably be set to 10+.5HD+Cha in order to remain relevant. Also it should have each level it gains spell-like abilities listed separately.
    It should? Requirement or just style? I'll take a look at other approved monster classes for proper format. Unless otherwise noted slas are 10 + 1/2 hd + relevant ability, no? But it's prettier like that, I believe.

What on earth does a primal aspect of war have to do with living spells?
    That's something the designer's got to explain me. I'll keep it since it's part of the creature and the lore made for it. Then I'll keep it.

1d6?
    You red it right. 1d4. Circle of blades begins on 1d6, and it's 1 r / cl, and this one's free. This ability should just "be there". In the original monster it's mere 2d6 on top of its cr 14 might. I'm keeping the spirit of the ability at least.

Greater Magic weapon on its own doesn't really carry seventh level, you probably had magic weapons anyway.
    It doesn't. When I'm finished with adding ability scores I'll put something on the weaker levles, that's for sure.

11th level is horrible...increasing a single d4 damage die to a d6 is not a class feature, at least it shouldn't be.
    It's based on HD, not class levels. Plus, as the above.

You do not need to keep the racial hit-die characteristics.
    Quoting myself: "I like, however, to keep the type Stats"

If it doesn't have good BaB you need to at least give it boni to it's combat stats... or give it boni to charisma and let it use that in the place of strength if you'd find that more flavorful.
    If you look at the monster it's a Dex based critter. Besides this, the ability scores should come, but I need opinions before. fell free to suggest how much in terms of ability scores is needed. Some cha, but it won't use for attacks no.

Past 8th level there ISN'T better armor.
    You already said that. More mechanical reason to fit the lore.

Good job on these ones, but I almost feel like it should become unlimited base on HD after the first ability, you can use the empty levels later to add special effects on deflection or something like that... don't be afraid to deviate from the monster.
    Good point on this one! I can understand why you almost feel it, because I felt too. It surely is something to consider. And i don't have the intention of deviating from the monster on the first draft. Now, on to the second I'll add more things. But only after the ability scores.

Thanks for all the imput, the useful and the otherwise!

But I want opinions on ability scores. I think it's better to have opinions to begin with than just having these opinions after I make a first try.
    My Homebrew

My DMs Guild products

24. - Top - End - #504

The previous author received a big no for one of the council about ToB things. He probably wanted to much in any case. Good point here. I shall take a look.
    Actually, it wasn't an issue regarding "ToB things" so much as it was an issue regarding direct copying of copyrighted material. Saidoro was suggesting ToB-esque things, which means you would make up abilities and stances with the same style and methodology, without copying original work.

Quoting myself: "I like, however, to keep the type Stats"
    We don't really do this, here. Type stats are a way to keep things really simple for the DM. Applying it to a monster class is needless and potentially problematic. It also applies a straitjacket to the design where it's really not needed.

If you look at the monster it's a Dex based critter. Besides this, the ability scores should come, but I need opinions before. fell free to suggest how much in terms of ability scores is needed. Some cha, but it won't use for attacks no.
    Try to keep ability scores to a minimum. This isn't a monster, but a monster class. As such, the standard method is to finish the monster, then see if it needs a leg up anywhere. Non-full-BAB melee classes (brutes like Giant, Minotaur) will generally get STR to keep it relevant, and monsters with no fine manipulation and/or no speech (ie. Griffon) will often get better stat bonuses. Humanoids, though, don't need stats up the wazoo, so keep it small. Haven't looked over the Ragewalker, but I'd suggest a +1 to a relevant stat every 3 or 4 levels as a starting point.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2011-02-15 at 04:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Okay Kobold, as per your request, here is what I found about the Quasi God.

Divine spark could probably use a debuffing ability

Do the deity's subtypes change if their alignment changes?

Hamper the competition should say that you get it at 4th level.

On Aura of divinity, the "drain" minor ability doesn't seem useful. May just be me, but it seems like it doesn't scale fast enough.

On Divine Travel it doesn't mention that the teleport 5ft/HD ability is at will.

On personal plane, being able to create any mundane plant life sounds like it would allow you to create expensive poisons and such and when it mentions the fast healing it says “gain Fast Healing 1/5HD up to 1/2 their max HP” but should probably say “they gain fast healing 1/5 HD that heals up to ½ their max HP”

Under Immortal it says “Quasi-God's now do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe and can.” without stating what they can do.

In immortal it says “1/2 their class level” but I think you meant “1/2 their HD.” If not, that's a pretty weak capstone.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

So i'm just wondering, has anyone ever made a "pet" statblock for cloakers? i would really like to play a ranger or a druid with a cloaker as a pet
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Okay Kobold, as per your request, here is what I found about the Quasi God.

Divine spark could probably use a debuffing ability

Added.

Do the deity's subtypes change if their alignment changes?

I assumed that was assumed to happen. Added a note (which I will remove if its not supposed to happen).

Hamper the competition should say that you get it at 4th level.

Added.

On Aura of divinity, the "drain" minor ability doesn't seem useful. May just be me, but it seems like it doesn't scale fast enough.

Made it so they lose HP = Q-G's HD. Too much?

On Divine Travel it doesn't mention that the teleport 5ft/HD ability is at will.

Added.

On personal plane, being able to create any mundane plant life sounds like it would allow you to create expensive poisons and such and when it mentions the fast healing it says “gain Fast Healing 1/5HD up to 1/2 their max HP” but should probably say “they gain fast healing 1/5 HD that heals up to ½ their max HP”

Fixed the wording on the healing. It also says that nothing except food can have an effect in the real world so any poisons you make would be useless.

Under Immortal it says “Quasi-God's now do not need to eat, sleep, or breathe and can.” without stating what they can do.

..."still do so if they wish". Added.

In immortal it says “1/2 their class level” but I think you meant “1/2 their HD.” If not, that's a pretty weak capstone.

Fixed.
    Thanks much for the feedback.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

28. - Top - End - #508

Quote Originally Posted by Gicko View Post
    So i'm just wondering, has anyone ever made a "pet" statblock for cloakers? i would really like to play a ranger or a druid with a cloaker as a pet
    You could try taking leadership feat and having a cloaker cohort.

29. - Top - End - #509

Yellow Musk Creeper, Living Spell, Animated Object, Wendigo
    • Moving to abandoned list again. Magicyop asked me to take them off the list a week ago, but then disappeared again.

Bleakborn:
    • I wonder if greater brittle strike isn't redundant. I mean, at 7th level, you've got 21 uses of your brittle strike. At ~4 encounters per day, this is ~5 uses per encounter. By 8th or 9th level you'll have enough uses not to care anymore.

Pandorym
    • Your prestige class picture is kind of distracting. Break it into a separate post?
    • Your comments box at the bottom of Pandorym is listed as comments/changelog. There is no changelog therein. This is annoying.
    • Your changelog refers to Lightning Mind. I see no such ability.
    • 1st level still kinda sucks a lot.
    • Can't really comment on manifestation of will. Not that well versed in psionics.
    • In Psionic Vortex, you state 'per day per day'.

Dwarf Ancestor
    • Moving to the abandoned list, I think. Last updated 01-12-2011, no response to recent critique/comment by Gorgondantess.

Jovoc
    • Really needed/needs a changelog. I would've critiqued if I'd known what to critique.
    • Retributive Aura still really bugs me. It's clunky (every time you're taking damage, you're having to roll & check stuff, every time!) and strikes me as somewhat overpowered.

Gargoyle
    • Looks pretty good.

Remorhaz
    • "which deals 1d10+ 2*STR damage(bludgeoning)" (Rush) - implies the normal charges deal that, not the rush. Reword to 'dealing 1d10 + twice STr mod'?
    • Trouble with item destruction like in Property Destruction is that you're destroying your potential loot.

Gray Jester
    • Changelog is not up to date. This is frustrating, because I was willing to critique changes you'd made, but don't know what they are.
    • Found your changes elsewhere. Let's see...
    • Hrm. Given Gorgondantess' thoughts, maybe we should consider the template idea for joy slaves. Just to strip them of their spells and innate abilities.

Flesh Golem
    • Don't know what to add. Gorgondantess' previous comments about it being a little too similar (and inferior) to the Iron Golem are still pretty on target.
    • Why does an ability called grotesque visage give a bonus to strength checks?
    • And getting a +20 to strength checks at 20HD is kinda woah. Not necessarily a good woah either.

Quasi-God
    • No changelog? I weep!
    • "1/day for every 2HD the Quasi-God may heal or repair (for constructs) a creature (including yourself) by the 1d6/3HD." -> By the 1d6?
    • "successfully affected automatically" -> redundant. If they're affected, it's a given that it's successful.
    • Weakening aura seems way too strong, considering the size and the breadth of the debuff you're applying, and the fact that it's unavoidable.

Cloaker
    • Looking pretty good

Vivisector
    • Not sure what changes have been made (no changelog?), but it hasn't come up in recent critiques, so I'll just raise it for comment next time I suggest monsters for Gorgondantess to review.

Razor Boar
    • Note recommended changes here.

Black Dragon
    • Note recommended changes here.

Ettercap
    • Needs to account for suggestions on page 7 onward, in the thread.

Skeroloth
    • Ok, didn't have many comments last time I looked it over, and you've updated since. Will point Gorgondantess to it.

Lodestone Marauder
    • Changelog is kind of a wall of text. hard to read. Let's see...
    • Ok, looks like you put my suggestions into effect. I'll point Gorgondantess to it.

Locathah
    • Think it looks good to go on the list. Anything you want to ask or add, before I do?

Hellfire Wyrm
    • Just curious - are you interested in doing this or should I move it to abandoned? IIRC, I suggested you give it a pic, and then I'd review it. No pic yet?

Marrash
    • Looks like you put my changes into effect, will point Gorgondantess to it.

Corrupted Creature
    • Hasn't put any suggested changes/revisions into effect, no poster activity as of late.

Medusa
    • Can't critique my own work. Will point Gorgondantess to it. Other critiques much appreciated.

Aboleth
    • You've got this absolutely massive skill list (Forgery? Why?) but no skill points to spend. it's bizarre.
    • Bonus skill points in amphibious path seem kind of off.
    • practices it's magic -> doesn't make sense. Practices it has magic? Practices it is magic? Its.
    • The various paths don't match up. Like, you get a combat useful passive bonus in amphibious path at 3rd stage, but in aquatic path you just get more swimming.
    • "and it's thick skin gives it DR 5/Magic." -> doesn't make sense. and it has thick skin gives it DR 5/magic? and it is thick skin gives it DR 5/magic? its.
    • And DR should scale.
    • You probably mean demoralize check, for the Stygian Path IV ability.
    • "It can, for Cha Mod rounds per day, can make any creature it flies over make a Fort Save or be affected as if it were hit by one of your tentacle attacks" -> you switch tenses here.
    • Just as Planned -> Don't like the flavor text. It seems more goofy than "I'm a terrible abomination of reality". Reword/reflavor?
    • The cumulative conditions of Just as Planned? No.
    • Also, duration?
    • Ability increases: -> this belongs further up the monster entry. Usually after {Monster} Body.
    • Don't really get forbidden dreaming. Just a way to get healed out of combat?
    • Convert the Flesh -> As with disease, this is a horrible thing to be affected by as a PC, but it's pretty lame against monsters.
    • Don't like the word 'bigger' at the end of Endless Growth.
    • Drowning Ooze: Suffocation rules suck. That is, they're useless and no enemy is going to suffocate before combat is over. Also, the ability description implies it works underwater only, but you don't say this.
    • Enslaving creatures is problematic for a PC. What happens if you enslave wizards or beholders... aren't you just getting cohorts, tons of actions in combat?
    • Infinite waterfall of crushing memories: Ability name is awkward and a mouthful. How many targets with each use? Who takes the 2 points of wis damage?
    • Also, a save or lose effect you can use every round?
    • Needs some work.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Hellfire Wyrm
    • Just curious - are you interested in doing this or should I move it to abandoned? IIRC, I suggested you give it a pic, and then I'd review it. No pic yet?
    Apologies. A lot of things have been distracting me, and now my computer is the only functioning one in the household. I'll get a photo ASAP.