New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Uncannily Dodging the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It never had any credit with me. This is just another example of too much enthusiasm for an exploit and not enough effort in checking for those annoying rules which explain why the scheme isn't actually so über. If someone can't point to a rule which states that some scheme is going to automatically deal damage*, I start looking for the rules which explain why it doesn't ─ and it usually doesn't take much digging to discover those rules.

* I mean real, unambiguous statements like this one, for coup de grace:
    Given that most such exploits were TO, does it really change that much now that the trick requires a wizard and his hulking hurler minion?
    Last edited by Boci; 2011-06-06 at 03:56 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    These guys are certifiable moon-droppers. They successfully dropped it. They probably got the gloat out of their system a while ago. I might expect there to be some slightly more....intriguing plots afoot. Like endless waves of simulacra, or planar-trait traps, or even just an empty castle.

And should you miraculously defeat our endless legions? Fight your way through our minefields? Find us, without the ability to track teleports or planeshifts? Enjoy your hollow victory. It won't bring your planet back, it won't revive your family. Only magic can do that, the magic you lack, that we have. You have failed so utterly as to be beneath our notice. Go back to playing with swords and ships.
    We may not be wizards, but there were wizards before us, and their technology exists for us even now. We spellthief'd your golems, we uncannily dodged your falling moon, and its magic now serves us. For all your magic, you underestimate human determination. And there's nothing you can do to stop us. We'll keep pushing forward no matter what. Who the hell do you think we are?

Also on topic because it's only fair: Allowing a reflex save for anything larger than your movement is absolutely silly. To be honest though, allowing the dropping of millions of tons of matter on individuals with no collateral damage is silly. The whole rule is ridiculous... I feel arguing this isn't too different from arguing why you should or should not allow war hulking hurler into a game.
    Last edited by Lord.Sorasen; 2011-06-06 at 04:05 PM.

Look everyone this image is a link!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
    Who the hell do you think we are?
    Worms.

*Fell Drain Locate City Bomb*
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Also on topic because it's only fair: Allowing a reflex save for anything larger than your movement is absolutely silly.
    Those millions of tons of matter aren't going to remain cohesive; you only need to dodge a small part of that large collection of rubble to be unscathed ─ though in the middle of extraordinarily difficult terrain.
    Hampered Movement

Difficult terrain, obstacles, or poor visibility can hamper movement. When movement is hampered, each square moved into usually counts as two squares, effectively reducing the distance that a character can cover in a move.

If more than one condition applies, multiply together all additional costs that apply. (This is a specific exception to the normal rule for doubling)

In some situations, your movement may be so hampered that you don’t have sufficient speed even to move 5 feet (1 square).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wait.

You're saying you can uncannily dodge things even when you can't move?
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    It may, and in many fantasy novels it certainly is, but in D&D 3.5 it isn't, since unless by awesome you mean masterwork or some obscure PrC, martial characters cannot craft awesome weapons.
    Oh! Oh! Oh!

Oriental Adventures Samurai! ...Except it's just one weapon. ...And you didn't really make it, you kinda just inherited it and are unlocking its secret powers that coincidentally just so happen to be what you want them to be. ...But you at least do that part all by yourself! ...By praying to your dead ancestors. Crud.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2011-06-06 at 04:26 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

7. - Top - End - #37

MindFlayer

Uncanny, isn't it?

I am regretting that I tried to be clever when I titled this thread. I was less concerned about the specifics of planetary bodies or the Uncanny Dodge mechanic as I was about the simpler notion that (from a D&D mechanics standpoint) large falling objects are not the "autowin" button that I have seen discussed in multiple other threads (including the recent Seraphim one).

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Oh! Oh! Oh!

Oriental Adventures Samurai! ...Except it's just one weapon. ...And you didn't really make it, you kinda just inherited it and are unlocking its secret powers that coincidentally just so happen to be what you want them to be. ...But you at least do that part all by yourself!
    All by yourself.

And the inherited ancestral weapon.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Note that Complete Warrior also uses the DC 15 thing, in this case to dodge an arrow volley. So DC 15 is the generic "stuff is falling towards your square, dodge it" save.

JaronK

10. - Top - End - #40
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've chewed through most of Mieville's stuff except Kraken. Got burned on The City and The City so I gave it a rest for a bit. Any other good ones?

I just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora && Red Seas Under Red Skies, as well as the Tiffany Aching series by Pratchett.
    Kraken is pretty good. I'd even call it Mieville getting back to form. Unfortunately most of my reading lately has been either scifi of spy stuff, so I'm a little short on current suggestions. Ooh, there's stuff most people seem to have not read-the Incarnations of Immortality series, by Piers Anthony. Most of his stuff... well, it gets OLD. IoI, though, it's about people becoming Death, Time, War, etc. Everyone I've gotten to read the first book has had to go read the rest.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I've chewed through most of Mieville's stuff except Kraken. Got burned on The City and The City so I gave it a rest for a bit. Any other good ones?

I just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora && Red Seas Under Red Skies, as well as the Tiffany Aching series by Pratchett.

Her Majesty's Dragon
    is a pretty solid series, as is Glen Cook's The Black Company.

I have to plug for Robert E. Howard here, as well. Ditto for Lovecraft, and Arthur Machen if you can find any of his stuff.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    You're saying you can uncannily dodge things even when you can't move?
    As sreservoir already pointed out, the ability to not take damage from stuff falling on you (with a Reflex save) is evasion, not uncanny dodge. (Uncanny dodge applies when you're flat-footed or the attacker is invisible; neither of these match this massive falling object scenario.) You pretty much only lose the ability to make a Reflex save when you're dead, and you can still evade things as long as you're not helpless. Being able to move an inch is as good as being able to move a mile for evasion. (There's an element of luck involved; maybe you exhaled at just the right moment and avoided having your ribcage sheared off by just that tiny fraction of displacement.)

13. - Top - End - #43

Those millions of tons of matter aren't going to remain cohesive; you only need to dodge a small part of that large collection of rubble to be unscathed ─ though in the middle of extraordinarily difficult terrain.
    1) make the moon cubic (hey, for a high level wizard, should be doable)
    2) drop it on an enemy, flat side first
    3) the surface is even, the only logical way to avoid it is moving hundreds or thousands of miles away
    4) the enemy movement speed is less than 'a million feet per round'
    5) enemy is a lvl 1 commoner, rolls a 16 on their reflex save
    6) no one considers suffocation or crushing, round after round
    7) ???
    8) profit!

Um... yeah.

Edit: as to why a wizard would go through the trouble of sculpting the entire moon and propelling it in order to kill a lvl 1 commoner, rather than using say, a fireball... if you CAN massively alter reality at will, why WOULDN'T you?
    Last edited by CTrees; 2011-06-06 at 04:50 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As sreservoir already pointed out, the ability to not take damage from stuff falling on you (with a Reflex save) is evasion, not uncanny dodge.
    Of course. I was more referencing the thread title than the actual ability.

As to the rest of it, I agree in theory, but lets look at an example:

In the Tomb of Horrors, there is a trap which has the ceiling fall on a character. The ceiling is solid stone, and exactly the same dimensions as the room it drops on.

How does a character evade that? I mean, I know the crunch supports this type of thing, but I'm curious as to how it gets justified in fluff.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45

Oh! Better example!

DM: That's it! Rocks fall, everyone dies!
    PC1: I have improved evasion
    PC2: Natural twenty on the reflex save!
    PC3: My reflex save is +15, and I didn't roll a one, so I'm good.

Yeah... do you see that working?

16. - Top - End - #46

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    1) make the moon cubic (hey, for a high level wizard, should be doable)
    2) drop it on an enemy, flat side first
    3) the surface is even, the only logical way to avoid it is moving hundreds or thousands of miles away
    4) the enemy movement speed is less than 'a million feet per round'
    5) enemy is a lvl 1 commoner, rolls a 16 on their reflex save
    6) no one considers suffocation or crushing, round after round
    7) ???
    8) profit!

Um... yeah.
    For the object to fall to the ground it must displace all the air that was underneath ....so maybe that push of air allows - even forces sometimes - the target to move fast enough.

Also you want the fallen-to surface to be perfectly flat. Unlike random terrain.

So you want a vacuum. Note that some other DnD mechanics are based on atmosphere, such as winged flight, terminal velocity, nonmagical fire, speaking and verbal components, etc.
    Last edited by ffone; 2011-06-06 at 04:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the Tomb of Horrors, there is a trap which has the ceiling fall on a character. The ceiling is solid stone, and exactly the same dimensions as the room it drops on.

How does a character evade that? I mean, I know the crunch supports this type of thing, but I'm curious as to how it gets justified in fluff.
    Isn't that what DMs get paid the big bucks for? A stone ceiling the same size as the room is pretty much guaranteed to get hung up as it falls; once a slight bit of greater friction on one wall slows down the descent on that side the falling ceiling will start to tilt, and as it tilts it will gain increasing friction on the high side. A tilted ceiling of any thickness will have greater width than in its non-tilted state so at best only one edge will reach the floor; the whole thing is actually more likely to get wedged after dropping partway. Avoiding damage from that sort of poorly-designed trap is really easy.

So: the dramatic fluff is that the ceiling tilts just a bit as it falls, and the character rolled in the right direction to be under the high side, squeezed but unharmed.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Well, you know how annoying it gets when you add in a third dimension to PnP combat, and you have to stop every round or so to calculate a hypotenuse? It's kinda like that, but nobody who's on the dodging end of things ever invests in the skill ranks needed to know how it works, they're just satisfied that it works.

Alternatively, a Wizard did it.

Alternatively alternatively, your question assumes that you will survive the Tomb of Horrors.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

We may not be wizards, but there were wizards before us, and their technology exists for us even now. We spellthief'd your golems, we uncannily dodged your falling moon, and its magic now serves us. For all your magic, you underestimate human determination. And there's nothing you can do to stop us. We'll keep pushing forward no matter what. Who the hell do you think we are?
    Rats and vermin. Who do I think I am? An equally determined and equally angry human? Even if I can't remember why I dropped the moon on you, I probably had a reason, right? No one would do something like that out of boredom. I mean, no one else. Okay, so maybe I'm not exactly determined, but I am a human, and I am a wizard. And I have a lot of wizard friends.

Determined. Angry. And notably, vastly more powerful. Yesterday, the moon, tomorrow, a nearby planet. Today? Today? Sorbet.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2011-06-06 at 05:04 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by ffone View Post
    For the object to fall to the ground it must displace all the air that was underneath ....so maybe that push of air allows - even forces sometimes - the target to move fast enough.

Also you want the fallen-to surface to be perfectly flat. Unlike random terrain.

So you want a vacuum. Note that some other DnD mechanics are based on atmosphere, such as winged flight, terminal velocity, speaking and verbal components, etc.
    Make the target a skeleton. Put it on a cubic asteroid, 10mi to a side, out in deep space, well away from any other objects. Throw another cubic asteroid, same specs, at it, flat side to flat side. How, exactly, is a skeleton going to make that Ref slave?

You want a suitably complete hypothetical, I can give it to you, but the specific 'well it was pushed by the wind!' bits aren't the problem with the logic of 'any falling object has a 15 Ref save, regardless of circumstances.'

21. - Top - End - #51

PirateGirl

Isn't that what DMs get paid the big bucks for? A stone ceiling the same size as the room is pretty much guaranteed to get hung up as it falls; once a slight bit of greater friction on one wall slows down the descent on that side the falling ceiling will start to tilt, and as it tilts it will gain increasing friction on the high side. A tilted ceiling of any thickness will have greater width than in its non-tilted state so at best only one edge will reach the floor; the whole thing is actually more likely to get wedged after dropping partway. Avoiding damage from that sort of poorly-designed trap is really easy.

So: the dramatic fluff is that the ceiling tilts just a bit as it falls, and the character rolled in the right direction to be under the high side, squeezed but unharmed.
    This. This is how to DM. Think of fluff to fit the rules.

If you let fluff dictate the rules:

-brace for endless discussions over physics, medieval weaponry, and emergency medicine. Which likely no one involved is actually an experience in.

-brace for every Search check to be 'roleplayed, not rollplayed' in excruciating detail ('say, how many bricks are in this section of wall?'), every Diplomacy check to involve a nauseating number of sugary adjectives, every PC to never ever roleplay any weaknesses, etc.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

I must say, I am consistently delighted with the generally excellent tastes of my fellow forumites. Unfortunately, the fact that I know your tastes are excellent is derived from the fact that I've read most of these books. I did particularly delight in the Black Company, and much recommend his other works as well. Also, if you'ven't read anything by Jack Vance, he's actually really rather quite good.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Make the target a skeleton. Put it on a cubic asteroid, 10mi to a side, out in deep space, well away from any other objects. Throw another cubic asteroid, same specs, at it, flat side to flat side. How, exactly, is a skeleton going to make that Ref slave?
    You don't have enough skill to make "flat side to flat side" perfect along 10 miles of surface with a thrown object. The cubes are going to bounce off each other, likely breaking up if the collision occurs at a speed even close to a cube's miniscule escape velocity. The skeleton doesn't need much luck to avoid damage.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

You don't have enough skill to make "flat side to flat side" perfect along 10 miles of surface with a thrown object. The cubes are going to bounce off each other, likely breaking up if the collision occurs at a speed even close to a cube's miniscule escape velocity. The skeleton doesn't need much luck to avoid damage.
    That's debatable, actually.... It's just a matter of getting your CL high enough for telekinesis and having an arbitrarily high skill check for knowledge engineering, isn't it?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Banned

Are you trying to build a mockingbird?

26. - Top - End - #56

PirateGirl

You want a suitably complete hypothetical, I can give it to you, but the specific 'well it was pushed by the wind!' bits aren't the problem with the logic of 'any falling object has a 15 Ref save, regardless of circumstances.'
    Obviously I was aware of such hypotheticals, as my prior post also suggested using 2 perfectly flat surfaces in a vacuum.

DnD uses discrete distances and times (and event probailities, usually out of 20) to portray a continuous world. Of course it can be 'unrealistic'.

-why should perfect smoothness and parallel alignment be assumed to be able to been crafted and maintained? What's the creation process? Is there a craft DC for such smoothness, setting of angles, etc.?

-why is it worth the complexity cost of a better rule subsystem for large moving bodies? How often does this come up at your table?

-as a DM you are welcome to individualize trap DCs. Or did you have a suggested formula as a function of surface sizes, flatness, relative angle, etc?

-if ultrarealism is so important, are 6 second rounds and the 'discretized' positions of a falling body (or endangered creature) a problem.
    Last edited by ffone; 2011-06-06 at 05:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That's debatable, actually.... It's just a matter of getting your CL high enough for telekinesis and having an arbitrarily high skill check for knowledge engineering, isn't it?
    Knowledge tells you how things work, but by itself doesn't give you any ability to manipulate things. (Certain feats and class abilities leverage Knowledge checks into benefits beyond just knowing things.) No, for fine control of Telekinesis you need a different skill: Sleight of Hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Telekinesis
    An object can be telekinetically manipulated as if with one hand.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Knowledge tells you how things work, but by itself doesn't give you any ability to manipulate things. (Certain feats and class abilities leverage Knowledge checks into benefits beyond just knowing things.) No, for fine control of Telekinesis you need a different skill: Sleight of Hand.
    OH! So, think we can jimmy together a formula for the DC? :)

29. - Top - End - #59

PaladinGuy

Maybe this whole thing is like in Brawl, where you can press r at the right moment to dodge a solid wall of lava.

Look everyone this image is a link!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Colossus in the Playground

I think somewhere in the DMG (might be another book or even one of the Rules of the Game-articles; been a long time, could find it with a quick scan) there is a clause that the DM should adjudicate when Evasion (or Reflex-save for that matter) doesn't work/isn't possible. A closed, smooth-walled room with no objects entirely filled by a Fireball is given as an example of a situation where the DM should revoke the rights to a Reflex-save. Again, though, I don't remember where I read that (I remember it was in some DMing advice opus but that's it; it's been aeons since I read the core books cover to cover) so I'm not sure where it is.

There's also a clause (and of this I'm sure) in e.g. wall crush traps (DMG page 70) that state "When the entire dungeon wall moves to crush you, your quick reflexes won’t help, since the wall can’t possibly miss. A trap with this feature has neither an attack bonus nor a saving throw to avoid, but it does have an onset delay (see below)." and those allow no Reflex-saves, so there's precedent for big enough things being undodgeable.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.