New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XIV: Boots on Hooves / Bikinis on Top

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    So. Random fic idea for Bernard, estranged brother of Rarity and Sweetie Belle. Bernard is a down to earth unicorn who likes to mine and get dirty, with a rock and a pickaxe as his cutie mark. He's also very inclined to ask Rarity for her help all the time, and is generally very annoying to her and takes advantage of her generosity, but Sweetie Belle really loves him because he's such a fun guy. He's blowing into Ponyville for some reason or another (original idea was him eloping with an Apple) and shenanigans ensue.
    Which Apple?

Also he sounds very believable; sort of a smooth operator type who's fun to do things with, but you wouldn't want your daughter anywhere near.

@ Brazen: Mary Sue, as a word, has been watered down a lot. I think it's a character who has those traits you mentioned, to the extent that the quality of the show suffers. It's one thing to have someone like Bruce Wayne as your main character; it's another thing to just make up a character with Bruce Wayne's training and resources and dump them in a show where, up to now, someone more relatable and grounded has been the main character.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-12 at 09:54 PM.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    I think that the term "Mary Sue" needs a better diffinition.

The standards set for a character to be considered a Mary Sue fit most main characters in a canon story anyway.

Case in point: Twilight Sparkle.
    Yes, but despite all her powers and benefits, Twilight Sparkle still fails, a lot. She screws up, makes mistakes, has flaws. She has areas where her friends are simply better than her.

A "Mary Sue" would be as fast or faster as Rainbow Dash, as magically strong as Twilight, and be able to unleash the Stare at will.

I should note I hate the term Mary Sue because it's been used basically to try to bludgeon every OC who shows the hint of competence, or simply characters you don't like, including characters from the show itself!
    Last edited by EsperDerek; 2011-07-12 at 09:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EsperDerek View Post
    Yes, but despite all her powers and benefits, Twilight Sparkle still fails, a lot. She screws up, makes mistakes, has flaws. She has areas where her friends are simply better than her.

A "Mary Sue" would be as fast or faster as Rainbow Dash, as magically strong as Twilight, and be able to unleash the Stare at will.
    Ever a character like that would be bearable, done right.

For instance, make them a legit superhero, so it'd be more acceptable.

Or, that'd be GREAT for a villain character. A pony the whole cast would have to get clever with to beat in a fight.

There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    My anime review podcast is coming back after a one year hiatus! www.fivepointpodcast.com

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

Aww, beside curve tool? Isn't that the line with the other lines that bend the line when moved? I can't use it for beans. It's worse than that pen tool in Photoshop, that sort of does the same thing while also making lines by clicking where you want the start and end to be.

Did I mention how bad I am at digital art?
    If you want to work with Inkscape, you learn to love the curve tool. Eventually you get a good feel for how curves bend when you drag the handles just so.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Barbarian in the Playground

Got a few minutes before i have to go due to a change in scheduling, and a thought occurs to me. There exists artwork of adult Midnight, filly Midnight, a cutie mark design, art from scenes in Shades and Reaching Midnight completely random artwork (Midnight poking the eye out!), but there's one genre of artwork that I'm missing for Midnight. I'll let people try to figure out what that is.
    You're right! I'll start on it right away!

Spoiler
    Show
    You...were talking about a pirate version of Midnight, right?

Just don't seriously expect me to do this because I have no artistic aptitude, and more often than not, any time I try, I just end up being so critical of myself that I give up out of frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Opalescence is one word.

Also, look at the thing I did.

Internet! Power! Mine again! Ahaahahahaha!
    Before I forget, since I'm kinda absentminded like that, just want to say great interview. He is a shrewd one, building anticipation for season two with his "Mega-Spoilers" comment. I mean, you can't just bring something like that up and just leave us hanging. Also, I'd love to give you all my internets, but I have none right now.

With that said, I'm gonna catch up on the rest of the thread(Pages 42 onward) tomorrow, but for now, I need sleep.

I'm exhaus...Zzzz...Zzzz...Zzzz.
    "Why is it that we receive a penny for our thoughts, but have to put in our 2 cents?"

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

I got an award!
    Spoiler
    Show

Fluttershy in the Playground - third place

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vent Reynolt View Post
    You're right! I'll start on it right away!

Spoiler
    Show
    You...were talking about a pirate version of Midnight, right?

Just don't seriously expect me to do this because I have no artistic aptitude, and more often than not, any time I try, I just end up being so critical of myself that I give up out of frustration.

Before I forget, since I'm kinda absentminded like that, just want to say great interview. He is a shrewd one, building anticipation for season two with his "Mega-Spoilers" comment. I mean, you can't just bring something like that up and just leave us hanging. Also, I'd love to give you all my internets, but I have none right now.

With that said, I'm gonna catch up on the rest of the thread(Pages 42 onward) tomorrow, but for now, I need sleep.

I'm exhaus...Zzzz...Zzzz...Zzzz.
    Hush now
    Quiet now
    it's time to lay your sleepy head
    hush now
    quiet now
    give Bobcat your debit card and PIN number...

7. - Top - End - #1417

Hmmmm... Im going to need pre-readers then to make sure i dont go super nova mary sue.

ITs quite easy for me to do that sometimes, especially in roleplays. Its it an effective mary sue avoidance to make a team that draws on eachothers skills? or is that basically the same thing?
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Hmmmm... Im going to need pre-readers then to make sure i dont go super nova mary sue.

ITs quite easy for me to do that sometimes, especially in roleplays. Its it an effective mary sue avoidance to make a team that draws on eachothers skills? or is that basically the same thing?
    A classical Mary Sue is someone that draws attention away from where the audience wants it. That's what makes them turn on the Sue.

For instance, Wesley on Star Trek: The Next Generation. You have an entire crew full of cool grown ups, including aliens, cyborgs, experienced officers, robots and the like.

And yet, many plots were solved by the teenager who Gene Rodenberry admitted was sort of his author insert.

Make us care about Ponyard and he won't be a mary sue; he'll be that cool character we like.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-12 at 10:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1419

Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    Here here!
    Thank you ShadowySilence for the awesome policepony avatar!
    I love my filly~

10. - Top - End - #1420

Ever a character like that would be bearable, done right.

For instance, make them a legit superhero, so it'd be more acceptable.

Or, that'd be GREAT for a villain character. A pony the whole cast would have to get clever with to beat in a fight.

Well, no, you're absolutely right, of course. It's just generally...not done right.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

Which Apple?

Also he sounds very believable; sort of a smooth operator type who's fun to do things with, but you wouldn't want your daughter anywhere near.
    I like the look of this pony, who I think is Apple Cinnamon Crisp.
    Last edited by tonberrian; 2011-07-12 at 10:08 PM.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

Found myself with a bit of time, so I decided to finally get on that nitpicking of Semper Fidelis I've been putting off:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh well, too late to back out now."
    -It's odd that this line is spoken when everything before this is all internal dialogue.

Apparently he'd failed because Big Macintosh's expression hardened ever so slightly.
    -Comma between "failed" and "because", though I'm not 100% sure on that

The dozing elder pony in the rocking chair in the corner looked up, smiled pleasantly at Soarin and then dozed off again.
    -Odd to use "The" when it's the first time we've seen her. "A" would be more appropriate. (And the award for biggest nitpick ever goes to...)

Soarin decided to address little pony; he was worried she'd explode from bottled up excitement if he didn't acknowledge her soon.
    -"bottled-up"

Applejack talks about you all the time. It sounded so romantic!
    -I think this should be "sounds so romantic". Otherwise, the change in tense is weird.

Well one night, Rainbow Dash came over with a whole bunch of flying magazines and stuff and they just talked about you all night and giggled.
    -Comma after "well"

Soarin's face burned again; seemingly oblivious, Apple Bloom rubbed her chin thoughtfully.
    -I think that should be a period, not a semicolon. Just make the second half its own sentence.

You said in Pony Beat that y'all like red furred fillies
    -"red-furred"

Soarin was glad he wasn't on the receiving end; it reminded him of his old drill sergeant. Oh nuts, now it was his turn to be on the receiving end.
    -I think the repetition is intentional, but I'm just drawing your attention to it in case it isn't. I think it works as is.

Soarin liked telling the story, but those big doe eyes of hers made him feel bad for the slightest delay.
    -It's a little odd to use "but" here. It seems to imply that he wouldn't tell the story so readily if it hadn't been for Apple Bloom.

"Big Macintosh said"
    -You use this phrase a bit, you may want to add more description, or just leave it out. Compared to your other "who's saying the next line" phrases, it's kinda bland.

Satisfied that his wings were ready for another cross country flight, Soarin went to collect his saddlebag
    -"cross-country"

It's like an itch I can't scratch, some days.
    -Your call, but it reads a little odd to put "some days" at the end of the sentence.

Tears welled up in her eyes. The little filly's tear filled eyes made him want to cry too, but he restrained himself.
    -Maybe take out the first sentence. The second one makes it redundant.

"Wait what?"
    -comma after "wait", unless you want this to be a fast line.

which contrasted oddly with her still puffy eyes.
    -"still-puffy"

I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Troll in the Playground

I like the look of this pony, who I think is Apple Cinnamon Crisp.
    (jk) But in thread fanon, she runs the Apple Pit Jazz Club/Bakery with Blues! And they have a kid!

(un-jk) She is a pretty filly. She deserves better than a jerk drifter.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    You have only yourself to blame for this...
    Spoiler
    Show
    so hey, I finally figured out who would be on the other end of Twilight's Distress; Hullabaloo!

Spoiler
    Show
    You sure you wanna know?
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you read it . . .
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-07-12 at 10:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

I should note I hate the term Mary Sue because it's been used basically to try to bludgeon every OC who shows the hint of competence, or simply characters you don't like, including characters from the show itself!
    I only used it because that's the usual reason I can think of for people to hate OCs.

But yeah, there needs to be a new term. I guess I could just call them "Spotlight hogs" if that makes it any better.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Firbolg in the Playground

After a trip to the grocery store and a complete failure of will on my part, I've decided that Star Crunches would be Pinkie's favorite Little Debby. So much delicious sweetness. Sweetness packed in sweetness, plus oatmeal!
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

17. - Top - End - #1427

Okay, I'm finally all caught up. This calls for a quotestorm! Unfortunately, due to my slapdash methodology, the quotes aren't exactly going to be posted in the order they were made.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    I felt pretty similarly, but I read a fic that followed Gilda around Junior Speedsters camp. She was sort of an outcast in that one, and surprisingly, it softened me toward her character a lot. I really feel like she just needs some character development and, um, maybe some antipsychotics...
    [Peppermint Twist]Please thir, can I have thome linkth?[/Peppermint Twist]

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    Finished!

Spoiler
    Show

*Hugs his Derpy pillow*
    Dash it all! Now I have to take time out of my busy schedule to hunt down Kyouhen and steal his pillow!

I suppose I could settle for simply saying "That's awesome," but doesn't end up with me having an awesome pillow. Hmm... Decisions, decisions, decisions.
    And I was vainly attempting sleep! And it seems gauche to make a joke based on your own setup line.

So, I have a questions that I've been pondering. See, I have an eventual part 3 of my Soarinjack trilogy in mind that takes place in Cloudsdale. As I think about it, there are some key decisions to make in how Cloudsdale is presented. I have answers to a few in mind, but I want to see what you all think.

1) How does Cloudsdale compare in size to Ponyville? How densely populated would it be? (I assume Ponyville has a population of a few hundred, judging by crowd scenes where you'd expect the whole town to be there).

2) Is the weather a private or a public enterprise?

3) Are there walkways connecting all the buildings to each other, or is it assumed that if you're there, you can fly and so walkways are a waste?

4) Is the city made of the standard clouds we see, that are easily kicked out of existence and allow no solid objects at all? We know that non-pegasi weren't supposed to be able to walk the streets, but is that true once you're in a house (where, presumably, there'd be furniture, groceries, etc). It'd be annoying to put down your sandwich just to have it fall to the ground below.

5) Does Cloudsdale even HAVE housing? Do pegasi live elsewhere and just commute? Is it a mixed situation, with some who commute and some who don't?

6) What industry is there beyond the weather, if any?

7) Is it an old city or a more recent "factory town" that sprung up around the weather factory?

8) How far is Cloudsdale from Ponyville?

9) Is there anything directly beneath Cloudsdale? Maybe an earth pony town that provides food and other goods for the Pegasi?

10) Does Cloudsdale move around so that its shadow doesn't completely destroy all life beneath it?

Those are my 10 starting questions. Some of them have no possible canon answer from the information the show provided. Again, I want to know what you guys think.
    1) I'm not quite sure. At the very least, it does seem a bit less spread out than Ponyville.

2) Public, definitely public.

3) Looking at Rainbow Dash's castle, I'd be inclined to say that they use rainbows for walkways. It's a pity that rainbows seem to be liquid.

4) I vote for standard clouds with some enchanted objects that can support non-enchanted objects. (The cloud-walking spell used by Twilight is a variation on this.)

5) I saw that you seem to have chosen to go with Sky-Venice, but I'll throw this out there anyway. I see Cloudsdale as something somewhat analogous to a small island. Most of it is commercial or industrial with very few actual residential zones. It is, however, surrounded by a veritable fleet of houseboats. Please note that I have no idea where I pulled this idea out of and it doesn't exactly match what we see when Dash and Fluttershy are approaching the city. I still like the idea, though I've probably butchered my explanation of it.

6) I'll just note that I agree with Trixie's answer.

7) I'm not sure, so I'll counter with a question of my own: does Cloudsdale have the only weather factory in all of Equestria, or are there others?

8) Probably pretty close. I can't imagine that Twilight's ballon is all that fast, and they showed up not all that long after Rainbow and Fluttershy.

9) I'm going to go with no, solely because there was no evidence of such a thing when Fillyshy fell during the pegasus race.

10) Well, if it is the sole weather factory in Equestria, I'd imagine it would move around to better deal with severely troubled weather. If there are more weather factories, then they're probably spread out to give all of Equestria sufficient coverage that they don't need to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Welcome back! At least you aren't going through all fourteen threads, like our one new arrival. (Or like Esper was asking for relationship charts...)
    Sorry I missed this earlier. You have no idea how glad I am that I only missed a week. You guys have a posting rate that's absolutely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    It is always possible to name something Bob.
    You'd think so, but my gaming group never quite seems to cooperate.:P

I just want to say that I, tonberrian, am not dead. My week was hectic and I'm trying to catch up with the thread.

This is difficolt because the thread is growing faster than I can read it. After reading like ten pages, I now have 30 to go rather than 20. Still, after I catch up on other fast moving threads, this one should be easier.

Though I may be a full thread behind at that point.

Or two.
    You have no idea how much I can empathize with this, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex-Kat View Post
    {table=Head]Rank\Pony|Applejack|Fluttershy|Pinkie Pie|Rainbow Dash|Rarity|Twilight Sparkle
    1|05|09|01|03|04|07
    2|01|02|03|11|03|09
    3|03|07|05|01|07|06
    4|06|06|09|04|03|01
    5|05|02|08|04|05|05
    6|09|03|03|06|07|01
    [/table]

1st = 10 pts., 2nd = 8 pts., 3rd = 6 pts., 4th = 4 pts., 5th = 2 pts., 6th = 0 pts.

Twilight Sparkle - 192 pts.
    Fluttershy - 176 pts.
    Rainbow Dash - 148 pts.
    Rarity - 128 pt.
    Pinkie Pie - 116 pts.
    Applejack - 116 pts.

Thanks to: Anarion, AThousandWords, Atreyu the Masked Llama, cycoris, Darkmyst, darthbobcat, erikun, Gamerlord, Grif, HalfTangible, Inigo Montoya, Kurgan, Lex-Kat, Lix Lorn, mikeejimbo, Moon_Called, OrchestraHc, PhantomFox, Pheehelm, Raz_Fox, Rebelhero, ScionoftheVoid, Shadowydragon, SiuiS, the_druid_droid, Titanium Fox, Trixie, Vent Reynolt, Welf, & WJMill for contributing.
    Ye've nary a clue how sad I am that BEST PONY is tied for last. Oh well, at least she's not alone down there at the bottom.

Honestly? I think there are a lot of people who get annoyed at Pinkie...but not just that, I think she's the hardest to identify with of the six, considering she's so outlandish and, well...nuts.
    Huh, I wonder what it says about me that I find her the easiest to identify with. I think it may be that she's pretty much a paragon of one of the core tenets of my personal philosophy. (Not THE core tenet, mind you, but one of the rather important ones nonetheless.) There's a reason that, back when we were still in season one, I went silent for a little while in this thread after Party of One was aired.

At the Gala
    Get past third base
    I will traumatize my Mom!
    Traumatize her at the galaaaaaa
    (at the gala)
    I'll remind her
    She did not knock
    So it really is her fault
    I'll make her curse her eyes for seeing
    What I do at the grand galaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    (at the gala)
    *Snerk* Is it bad that I hummed along while reading that?

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Fox View Post
    We need to ponify "Germany".
    Germaney?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    Anyone else think Cort'ship of Luna would make a great inside joke fanfic?
    More Airship madness.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OI! You there, the purple one! This is no time for your fetishes! In case you didn't hear the good captain, this ship is lost, and we are abandoning it! *he pauses a second* Luna is a mother?! Oh bloody rainbows. This place is saturated with insanity!
    Do it!Do it!Do it!Do it!Do it!Do it!Do it!Do it!
    If you do write this up, may I suggest that the title be altered to the Court'ship of Princess Luna?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    Hooray for having prereaders, saving us from the horrors of bad fanfic one Mary Sue at a time.
    Hooray for prereaders!

You know, were I better on the execution aspect of things, I'd take you up on that challenge.

EDIT: It took four days to catch up on pony thread. Now, time for me to hit the webcomics!
    Last edited by Gadora; 2011-07-12 at 10:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1428

I would like to welcome to Ponydom- Richard. Chief Warlock of the brothers of darkness, Lord of the 13 hells, master of bones, Emperor of the black, lord of the undead, and defender of pony.

Spoiler
    Show

ADVENTURE!!!!!

My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Banned

So, this thread is in it's death throes. Boots and bikinis, I hardly knew ye despite powering the predominant thread trend. I suggest *sip* GOTCHA! for the next title if it hasn't already been used. (seriously, has it? Wow, I can't remember).

So hey, what are the defining features of a hippogrif, specifically in FiM style? So far I've got a smaller, horse-ier beak and feather tufts on the ends of the ears. Oh, and eagle claws for the forelegs.

But I can't find a picture of Gilda for the life of me that isn't fan-drawn. Are there any differences in proportions, wing structure, body, frame or physical makeup?

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Troll in the Playground

So, this thread is in it's death throes. Boots and bikinis, I hardly knew ye despite powering the predominant thread trend. I suggest *sip* GOTCHA! for the next title if it hasn't already been used. (seriously, has it? Wow, I can't remember).

So hey, what are the defining features of a hippogrif, specifically in FiM style? So far I've got a smaller, horse-ier beak and feather tufts on the ends of the ears. Oh, and eagle claws for the forelegs.

But I can't find a picture of Gilda for the life of me that isn't fan-drawn. Are there any differences in proportions, wing structure, body, frame or physical makeup?
    I saw this one picture of Gilda as a Pegasus I liked; the only hint of her Griffon nature was some head feathers and her coloring. Which I guess would be more like an octaroon Hippogriff.

And she's considerably larger and longer than a Pegasus.

Note the size difference. She's DEFINITELY more than 2 1/2 feet at the shoulder.

... heck, in mid roar, she looks like she could swallow Fluttershy in one gulp.
    Last edited by darthbobcat; 2011-07-12 at 10:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

We have indirect evidence that Rarity's parents are still alive. Faust said that Sweetie normally stays with them, but she'll be at Rarity's sometimes when they're out of town, or some such.

Applejack's parents, on the other hand, are dead, IMO. It makes more sense
    That's good. It would be weird for both sets of parents to be dead, and explains why Rarity needing to look after Sweetie Belle doesn't get in the way often, only in cases where plot demands it. (Like in Stare Master.)

"Rarity, darling, your father and I need to go to Manehattan for the weekend. We know Sweetie wanted to have a sleepover, do you think you could handle it?"

"Of course mumsy. Kiss kiss."

Meanwhile, with Applejack and Apple Bloom, when Applejack has been shrunk due to the poison joke, and she's threatening her little sister with going to a higher authority, she says she'll tell Macintosh on her. It sure sounds like her parents passed away.

The other characters are all also adults, so their parents could easily be alive but living elsewhere. Pinkie's parents still have a rock farm to tend to, after all. Fluttershy's and Rainbow Dash's parents might still live in/near Cloudsdale. Twilight's parents probably don't talk to her anymore because she likes Princess Celestia better. (I joke, I joke... but you think she could write home!)
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Troll in the Playground

That little "kiss kiss" so makes me want to come up with personalities for her parents. I suspect at least one of them is a dress maker/clothes maker, because little Rarity was seen in what looked like the Carousel Boutique.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

I was imagining somewhat upper-class, with upper-class sensibilities, but not narcissists. (Since they seem to have raised Rarity pretty well.)
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Banned

I saw this one picture of Gilda as a Pegasus I liked; the only hint of her Griffon nature was some head feathers and her coloring. Which I guess would be more like an octaroon Hippogriff.

And she's considerably larger and longer than a Pegasus.

Note the size difference. She's DEFINITELY more than 2 1/2 feet at the shoulder.

... heck, in mid roar, she looks like she could swallow Fluttershy in one gulp.
    could you use your fancy math'matics to whip up a height to length comparison? I suspect Gilda is proportionately longer/shorter than an equally sized pony. But her massive, manticore-esque chest makes it hard to tell.

It also adds a small touch of verisimilitude which I find pleasing.

Also, a belated Hi Irbis! Dive on in, the pony's fine this time o' thread.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking the next thread should be Rarity or Trixie themed and titled "Perfect isn't easy"

Why yes, I have in fact recently re-watched Oliver and Company
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2011-07-12 at 10:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1436

Quote Originally Posted by Brazen Shield View Post
    I think that the term "Mary Sue" needs a better diffinition.

The standards set for a character to be considered a Mary Sue fit most main characters in a canon story anyway.

Case in point: Twilight Sparkle.

Favorite student to her world's leader.

Incredibly powerful beyond what anyone has ever seen before dipsite being young and untrained.

Being well-liked despite being so socially awkward she doesn't even want to make friends in the first place.

Magical girl!pony episode one.

I do not consider her to be a Mary Sue, but do you see my point?
    Literally told by her mentor to 'get a life'.

Enrolled into a magic academy because she got lucky and had the rainboom/friendship channel happen during the test.

In what equates to a high-school clique. If there isn't an episode about exclusion in season two, I'll eat my hat.

The point is, usually Mary Sues are one-dimensional. Twilight stands out as pretty much a textbook example of iNTP Myers-Briggs.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh god eight pages

... and I forgot to multi-quote every post I needed to respond to.

@ Old Story feedback: Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked 'em

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Very nice, and thanks for putting them all together. It's probably better than the .txt files I was using for the first five stories.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyways, seeing Celestia's story at the end was unexpected. I guess it makes sense - we've been reading about her, so why not ask the pony directly? Nice to see Luna working into the background, including giving reasons for her Nightmare Moon transformation. I guess we can just blame everything on Metal Mask now, right?
    Yeah, Mask's a total tosspot. I don't know why we keep that guy around.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    @The Old Tales: So, was Celestia just sitting around listening to those stories, or did Twilight send them as part of her Daily Friendship Dump Report? Or is the unnamed audience going around to everypony and asking them about the old tales? And why doesn't The Fox have a dapper suit to go along with that tie, or at least a coat?
    I think the former.
    I considered applying context, some sort of metastory, but I'm not sure it'd add anything. In my mind, it's the Cutie Mark Crusaders going around and asking everypony (Weirdly enough, this grew out of my RD-Doesn't-Understand-Biology fic concept.)
    If the Fox had a dapper suit then his sheer stylishness would mean that it was impossible for anypony to withstand him.

Pure truth; My Little Pony as a case in point.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-07-12 at 11:03 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Troll in the Playground

could you use your fancy math'matics to whip up a height to length comparison? I suspect Gilda is proportionately longer/shorter than an equally sized pony. But her massive, manticore-esque chest makes it hard to tell.

It also adds a small touch of verisimilitude which I find pleasing.

Also, a belated Hi Irbis! Dive on in, the pony's fine this time o' thread.
    I'll see if I can find a good one of Gilda and a Pony standing in the same pose at the same time, I guess.

29. - Top - End - #1439

There are ideas, however, that are extremely difficult to do well, and would benefit from experience. Case in point: Cartoons about ponies.

Hush now
    Quiet now
    hush now
    quiet now
    My PIN number is 0001, because I'm number one.
    Last edited by dromer; 2011-07-12 at 11:17 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Troll in the Playground

Hush now
    Quiet now
    hush now
    quiet now
    Well this took a nasty turn...

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    [Peppermint Twist]Please thir, can I have thome linkth?[/Peppermint Twist]
    You may indeed, little Twist. Here you go.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!