Please take a moment to notice the additions to the rules! Things are changing around here!
The judges in this Iron Avatarist contest...
Our theme this month is... Putting on the Ritz
Ladies and Gentlemen! This month we are taking it a step into the fancy side! In this Iron Avatarist we are going to bring out our inner posh, fancy, classy selves and behaved like civilized, high-class, Nobility.
Remember: All artwork must be your own. Do not take, alter, or use any of the The Giant's art. Thanks.
There will be a First through Third place award for each of the following:
Fanciest Avatar (Any creation 120x120. Please do not submit "large versions". The avatar must be able to stand on its own.) Classiest OOTSatar (Any OOTS-based creation, even if it's not avatar-sized.) Most Dapper (Anything else.) Best Rookie (only applicable to those who have never won a prize in any of these competitions before)
And, of course, the Best Overall award.
And as an extra, The Ruki's Choice Award, which I will give to whatever entry I personally like the most from any category. My opinion matters, dammit.
Rules - For Participants
1. All entries must be posted by May 15, 2012. at Noon, EST.
2. Every entry must include a bolded introduction as to what category you're entering in. Additionally, if you've never won anything in a previous contest, remember to add "Best Rookie Entry". Failure to do so will make the judges miss your entry.
3. Every entry must include an italic title.
For example: Fanciest Avatar Best Rookie I say, Ruki, Old Chap!
4. All entries may be submitted ONCE and for ONE single category. ONLY exception are Best Rookie Entries, which will be submitted for both categories. All entries are contestants for the Best Overall and Ruki's Choice awards by default, so there's no need to tag those. 4.b. Another exception, when submitting a large scene, it is allowed to submit one single character from the scene as an Avatar. For example: If you submit a large comic, you may submit the character used for that comic separately.
5. You cannot re-submit an entry previously submitted to any IA competition, no exceptions.
6.Do not use spoilers. It makes the judge's job that much harder, and they may do you harm.
7.Only the avatarist who created the avatar may submit it.
8. Keep entries within PG-13 or better. Adhere to forum rules.
9. You are allowed to enter any artwork created before the contest, but you are limited to two pre-made entries per category. There is no limit for entries made for the contest. This rule still requires you to adhere to rule 5.
11. You may not submit entries made by character creators or similar automated artwork-maker thingies.
Rules - For Spectators
1. You are free to post and comment in the thread at any time.
2. Please do not quote posts with images. The entry/name will suffice. For instance to comment on the above entry:
Fanciest Avatar Best Rookie I say, Ruki, Old Chap!
Do NOT quote the [img][/img].
3. If you post an image in the thread that is not a submission, we ask that you put it in a spoiler. This keeps the image from being confused with an entry and makes the judges' job easier.
Rules - For Judges
1. Please PM me your votes before June 7, 2012. Any votes submitted after the due date may be too late to be counted.
2. Submit your votes for the winners of each category, first, second, and third place. This includes first, second and third place for Best Rookie AND for Best overall. Best Overall is decided independently and has no correlation with the votes earned in other categories.
3. The votes will be counted as follows: A first place vote gets 3 points. A second place vote gets 2 points, a third place vote gets 1 point. After all the judges have voted, the votes are counted and added up, highest score wins. In the event of a tie, my vote will be the tie-breaker.
4. DO NOT discuss or share your votes with other judges OR contestants.
5. No category is declared invalid as long as there are at least two entries, so don't skip over any category. Also, you may not vote for less than three entries as long as three or more entries exist. Doing so invalidates your vote in the category.
6. As a request, when submitting your votes to me, please do not embed the image, quote it, or link to it. Simply do something like:
1) Entry, by Artist
2) Entry, by Artist
3) Entry, by Artist
I copy your PM into a Word Document, so including anything other than text is counter-productive. Format it as you please.
This is the thief who likes to hoard,
That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
That has the gender unexplored
That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
That follows the cleric,
That serves the lich,
That seeks the gate,
That guards the snarl,
That lives in the prison the gods built.
Oooo. You been having some judge trouble, Ruki? I do recommend sending a PM to judges when the contest closes, or it's easy to forget...
Oh, no, this is not because I'm having specific judging problems. I just thought it would be best to put it out there for people interested in judging or already doing judging. I'd been thinking for a while to put the judging procedure up in the OP. Most judging has actually gone rather smoothly.
Interesting take on my idea
Thanks! I'm glad you like it. I liked your idea overall, I just thought it needed a twist.
Hmmm theres something about this avatar... just can't quite put my finger on it though...
(also if your attempting to secure my vote, I'm a wolf not a cat XD)
As one of the judges I say the following: "Good Luck Peeparoos!"
I look forward to judging your submissions and will most likely be judging on one what makes me do the following faces:
(need more bacons)
This was mostly made by my younger brother, who doesn't have a GitP account. I was involved in the conceptualization, and gave a healthy amount of artistic input, but he really did most of the work. This may break rule 7, I realize. I'd ask before posting if there was really any time before the deadline.
Bilbo and Frodolad avatar by Cuthalion.
Last edited by Trufflehound : 05-15-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Technically, we are in fact both.
Although "Judges" are more appropriate as the term "Jury" is more often then not used to refer to a Jury in a court of law.
Ita In Finem Judges is more applicable I feel
Definition 2 of jury: A committee, usually of experts, that judges contestants or applicants, as in a competition or exhibition; a panel of judges.
The most appropriate definition here for judge is n. 2d: One appointed to decide the winners of a contest or competition.
IMO, in this contest, the so-called judges don't decide the winners. They vote for who they think is a best. Ruki decides. So I still think "jury" would be better. But whatever. There is not that much of a difference, I'm just feeling nitpicky.
Er... but... it's already been extended by half a month. .-. Isn't that a little too much? >.o
As a judge, I always find it sad when there are barely enough entry in a category to make a top 3. And since there are not many entries in this contest so far (I counted 8 across all categories), I think that it may be worth it to extend it. I like happyturtle's suggestion. Maybe this IA could be "advertised" in the Mascarade Week thread to try to increase participation here.
For what it's worth, I have had ideas that I'd like to do for this IA. But I was hampered by the end-of-semester rush, and then my mouse died. So if this doesn't end before I can get a new mouse, expect entries from me.
Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class
Contributor to 's Divine Rank
(through some of my NPCs.)