New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Lunar Religion/Temple suggestions needed

Not what your thinking, I promise you...maybe.

In a group i plan on playing a homebrew class from these boards called Moonblessed, only partially relevant, and one of my initial plans was to start up a cult of sorts venerating the moon as a diving being. no deity has domain over it in this setting, so retribution is unlikely as i take up my role as the 'voice' of Luna.

Question #1- How high would bluff checks be in terms of gathering followers? diplomacy? i would prefer to be benevolent buts religion ^^
    Last edited by Rosalinath; 2012-08-03 at 02:46 PM.
    Captured Powers (Avatar List):
    Spoiler
    Show

Pistis Sophia & Morwel (by Balford)

I am...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lawful Good Elf Wizard (2nd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 9
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 18

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I AM THE MOON!! (3.5/Roleplaying Help Needed)

A DM would be well within his rights to demand you take leadership to do this, but the diplomacy check to make someone a fanatic is 90 if they're otherwise indifferent to you. Bluff can't get you followers.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-08-03 at 01:40 AM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, save the bluff check to try to get Ms Haruna to believe you actually did do the homework.

I am so going to hell.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    A DM would be well within his rights to demand you take leadership to do this, but the diplomacy check to make someone a fanatic is 90 if they're otherwise indifferent to you. Bluff can't get you followers.
    This.

You don't "use Bluff" or "use Diplomacy". You tell the DM what you are doing, and he decides what ability gets used, within the framework of the rules. The rules don't allow for Bluff to do anything that approximates getting followers.

The DM might even be entitled that the relevant skill is the lower of Diplomacy (since it's a long-term result that is desired) and Bluff (since it is something your character believes to be untrue).

And if the DM wants to get all meta, he might decide that enough people believing something to be true will actually cause it to become true, and the new Moon deity you unintentionally created might then have a special job for your character.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Yeah, save the bluff check to try to get Ms Haruna to believe you actually did do the homework.

I am so going to hell.
    I hate to ask, because it kills the joke, but I don't get it.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

indeed i plan to take the feat for that purpose. i just wish to explain where they came from rather then just popping in. i'm not a thrallherd >.>

#2-With creating an established temple what would be the easiest/cheapest route in creating it? two things ive thought of was having my cohort being a sorcerer with stone wall, using that stronghold handbook.

just for future reference any question can be answered at any time, i just wish to write them out as i think of them
    Spoiler
    Show

I am...
    Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 9
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 18

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

A sorcerer cohort can't cast wall of stone until -you- reach 12th level and he makes 10th.

The best way I can think of to establish a temple, if the DM is willing to facilitate, is the old-fashioned way. Raise revenue from business ventures (not necessarily adventures) and get your followers to contribute to the funding and construction. Doing it magically is completely unnecessary.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-08-03 at 01:54 AM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

and that is shown by the feat in stronghold builders guide, but i wish to reduce these prices so some gold can be used to upgrade (statues, larger temple, etc) or to help gain more followers (soup kitchens, paid-off towncriers)

#3- What would be some good rping focuses for the actual sermons and public image? the faith will be neutral good monotheistic with a focus on family, healing, unity, and the goddess caring for each person on a personal level i.e. she cares about your ruined crops, your broken home
    Spoiler
    Show

I am...
    Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 9
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 18

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I hate to ask, because it kills the joke, but I don't get it.
    Ask Uncle Google.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rosalinath View Post
    #3- What would be some good rping focuses for the actual sermons and public image? the faith will be neutral good monotheistic with a focus on family, healing, unity, and the goddess caring for each person on a personal level i.e. she cares about your ruined crops, your broken home
    Well all the things you wrote there would be good to hold sermons about as they explain what the deity is all about and why, encouraging people to follow the things that the deity holds true is another one, slipping in suggestions of things they can do to help the faith, stuff like that. Things that make more people believe/believers believe more strongly and convincing them to help in some way are good things to do.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm ... I'm thinking Evangelist for a cohort or follower. Get yourselves some pamphlets, start knocking on doors, and let him do the talking.

(It's a mechanically terrible PrC otherwise, but it fits perfectly with what you're trying to do).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

So much this.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

So much this.
    Thank you. I just try to talk to everyone like I would IRL. Though, I do have to curb my language a bit. In-person I curse like a sailor. They're just words, after all.

On-topic: I'll second the bard/evangelist cohort. Having somebody that talks well pitching what you're selling is always a good plan. I'm not much of a sermonizer though, so I really don't have any more specific advice on what to preach.

Edit: Thiago, you mind if I sig that?
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2012-08-03 at 03:22 PM.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lunar Religion/Temple suggestions needed

Cool idea: I don't know how this could be achieved, but what if the location of the temple was on its own separate dimension, where it came into reality on the material plane when moonlight shone on the area? I think that'd be cool, if it could be pulled off one way or another.
    I've started streaming again.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign outside of an abandoned mine, just as soon as a meteor storm from the moon hits.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TechnOkami View Post
    Cool idea: I don't know how this could be achieved, but what if the location of the temple was on its own separate dimension, where it came into reality on the material plane when moonlight shone on the area? I think that'd be cool, if it could be pulled off one way or another.
    this i like, though i dont know any way of doing this without genesis and faerun portals >.>

For the cohort would going divine bard/evangelist be the best choice? im thinking words of creation
    Spoiler
    Show

I am...
    Spoiler
    Show

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 12
    Constitution- 9
    Intelligence- 17
    Wisdom- 15
    Charisma- 18

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rosalinath View Post
    this i like, though i dont know any way of doing this without genesis and faerun portals >.>

For the cohort would going divine bard/evangelist be the best choice? im thinking words of creation
    IDK about "best" but it's definitely a solid option.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Edit: Thiago, you mind if I sig that?
    I'd be honored ^^