New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Humans, Dwarves and Jotun, oh my! [Ymaggion Races, PEACH]

So as I am now making races for my campaign setting (for which I already got the angels up), which are made in the same way mechanically as Gnorman's E6 races, I asked him if I could borrow some of his to revamp them to fit my non-E6, 3.P-y purposes. He said yes.

I went back to his old Race Compendium because the pictures were like dayyyum spiffy, son.

Behold, GLORIOSITY. (Not really.)

The Human

Spoiler
    Show

• Medium size
    • 30' movement.
    • Humanoid (human) type.
    • Bloodline: All humans select a bloodline from the list below, which offer them different bonuses and abilities. This choice is permanent.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Humans may select one martial weapon at 1st level, and gain proficiency with that weapon.
    • Adaptability: Humans gain one bonus feat at 1st level. They also gain 4 extra skill points at 1st level, and one extra skill point each level thereafter.
    • Versatility: Humans select two skills at 1st level. These two skills are always treated as class skills, and the human gains a +2 racial bonus to them.
    • Automatic Languages: One language from the continent they originate from. Bonus Languages: Any major languages, any minor languages spoken on their home continent.
    • Favored class: Any

Bloodlines

Soldier
    • +2 Strength
    • For the purposes of qualifying for feats, soldiers treat their BAB as equal to their hit dice and count as Fighters of their own level.

Saltskin
    • +2 Dexterity
    • Saltskins may hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to four times their Constitution score before they risk drowning.

Hinterlander
    • +2 Constitution
    • Hinterlanders may exist comfortably in environments ranging from -50 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit without having to make Fortitude saves.

City-slicker
    • +2 Intelligence
    • City-slicker may select a third skill for their Versatility ability.

Naturalist
    • +2 Wisdom
    • Naturalist may improve the attitudes of animals, as if using Wild Empathy as a druid of their own level. However, they add their Wisdom modifier rather than their Charisma modifier to the roll.

Highborn
    • +2 Charisma
    • Highborn gain a 20% bonus to their starting wealth and a +2 bonus to all Charisma-related checks when dealing with royalty, nobility, or high society.

Feats

Half-Dwarf [Half, Human]
    Prerequisites: Human
    Benefits: You possess darkvision 60' and may move your full speed even while encumbered or wearing medium or heavy armor, and possess a +4 bonus to ability checks to avoid being tripped or bull rushed while standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    Special: This feat can only be taken at level 1. If you take this feat, you cannot take any other [Half] feats.

Half-Elf [Half, Human]
    Benefits: You are immune to sleep spells and similar magic effects and possess low-light vision and a +2 racial bonus to Will saves, which increases to +4 against enchantment spells or effects.
    Special: This feat can only be taken at level 1. If you take this feat, you cannot take any other [Half] feats.

Half-Orc [Half, Human]
    Benefits: You possess darkvision 60' and a +2 racial bonus to Fortitude saves, which increases to +4 against poison or disease.

It should be noted that half-breeds in the world of Ymaggion are infertile, with only very rare (5%) exceptions.

The Dwarf

Spoiler
    Show

• +2 Strength, -2 Charisma - dwarves are hardy but gruff and belligerent
    • Small size
    • 20' movement. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations)
    • Humanoid (Dwarf) type.
    • Darkvision 60'.
    • Bloodline: All dwarves select a bloodline from the list below, which offer them different bonuses and abilities. This choice is permanent.
    • Stability: Dwarves gain a +8 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    • Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves treat any weapon with "dwarven" or "dwarf" in the name as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons. Dwarves are also always proficient with picks and warhammers.
    • Packing the Power: As long as a dwarf doesn't move more than 5 ft in a turn and remains in contact with the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground), they gain a +1 bonus to Strength checks and Strength-based skill checks that increases by 1 every round, to a maximum of half their HD (minimum 1). Furthermore, for each +1 bonus they acquire through this ability, their effective Strength for purposes of carrying capacity increases by 2, until they move more than 5 ft in one turn or lose contact with the ground.
    • Tough as Stone: Dwarves possess a +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like effects, as well as poison.
    • +2 racial bonus to all Appraise and Craft checks.
    • Automatic Languages: Dwarven. Bonus Starting Languages: Jotun, Komul, Roι-Allon, Stamarian, Tsumian.
    • Favored Classes: Shield Warrior and Warblade

Bloodlines

Equrun Dwarf
    • +2 Dexterity
    • Instead of proficiency with picks, equrun dwarves are proficient with axes.
    • Equrun dwarves' base land speed is 30', and they may move over difficult terrain without having their movement hampered. While mounted, their mounts may also move over difficult terrain without having their movement hampered.
    • Additional Favored Class: Sagittarius

Mountain Dwarf
    • +2 Constitution
    • Instead of proficiency with picks, mountain dwarves are proficient with axes.
    • Mountain dwarves receive a +4 dodge bonus to AC when fighting against creatures of the dragon type.
    • Additional Favored Class: Barbarian.

City Dwarf
    • +2 Intelligence
    • A city dwarf gains the Stonecunning ability. This ability grants the city dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A city dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a city dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A city dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
    • Additional Favored Class: Engineer

Duergar
    • +2 Wisdom
    • Duergar are immune to paralysis, poison, and phantasms, and possess a natural spell point reserve of 3.
    • Additional Favored Class: Psychic Warrior.

The Jotun

Spoiler
    Show

• +2 Strength, -2 Wisdom - All jotun are descended from giants and possess a fraction of their strength, but often act before they think and rarely put much value in formal education or logical ability.
    • Medium size
    • 30' movement.
    • Humanoid type.
    • Bloodline: All jotun select a bloodline from the list below, which offer them different bonuses and abilities. This choice is permanent.
    • Powerful Build: The physical stature of jotun lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a jotun is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check, the jotun is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A jotun is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size can affect him. A jotun can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    • +2 racial bonus to Athletics and Knowledge (forbidden lore) checks. Jotun can also make Knowledge (forbidden lore) checks untrained.
    • Automatic Languages: Jotun and either Roι-Allon or Tsumian. Bonus Starting Languages: Dwarven, Gamilak, Komul, Roι-Allon, Stamarian, Tsumian.
    • Favored Classes: Crusader and Xenoalchemist

Bloodlines

Flameheart
    • +2 Charisma - Flameheart jotun are confident and possessed of a strong sense of self, prideful even to the point of arrogance.
    • Resistance to fire 5.
    • +2 racial bonus on saves against all fire spells and effects.
    • Additional Favored Class: Warrior-Poet

Frostblood
    • +2 Intelligence - Frostblood jotun are keen, observant hunters and tend to be composed and well-controlled (at least, compared to other jotun).
    • Resistance to cold 5.
    • +2 racial bonus on saves against all cold spells and effects.
    • Additional Favored Class: Sagittarius

Stonebound
    • +2 Constitution - Stonebound jotun are hardy and hale, and shrug off blows that would fell lesser beings as if they were mere nuisances.
    • Resistance to earth* 5.
    • +2 racial bonus on saves against all earth spells and effects.
    • Additional Favored Class: Olympian

* Earth resistance refers to any damage caused by stone, dirt, mud, or sand, such as the Hail of Stones spell, a boulder thrown by a giant, a stone axe, or a falling rock trap.

Stormsoul
    • +2 Dexterity - Stormsoul jotun are quick and energetic, positively vibrating with activity.
    • Resistance to electricity 5.
    • +2 racial bonus on saves against all electricity spells and effects.
    • Additional Favored Class: Gambler
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2013-09-03 at 07:39 AM.
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Humans, Dwarves and Jotun, oh my! [Ymaggion Races, PEACH]

Added the Jotun and favoured classes. Fluff later.
    YouTube channel:

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

It seems odd that a half-dwarf gets +2 to Strength, when none of the full dwarves do. I'd switch their attribute bonus with the half-orc's, myself.

Other than that, the races look pretty good. I like how the bloodlines make the different types feel more... connected. Like there's less divide between a duergar and a city dwarf. Plus, I've always been a fan of Norse giants, even if the Jotun aren't that big. =)

EDIT: I just noticed that Stonebound Jotun have the Olympian as their favored class! =D
    Last edited by Midwoka; 2012-08-18 at 05:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Whoops! The intention was that dwarves get a standard +2 to Strength, due to being compactly built for physical power, hence also being Small with Powerful Build.

Thanks for spotting that and I'm glad you like them. I intend to put up fluff soon. Giants will likely not be otherwise common in my setting, though Jotun might get a PrC that increases their size.

Now it's just time to stat up the remaining races.

And yep, that they do! I dug through my Homebrew Tier Compendium to find some fitting ones, and that one seemed to fit for them. I'm not sure what I'll do with favoured classes, but I have some very minor ideas.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2012-08-18 at 06:55 PM.
    YouTube channel:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Whoops! ... due to being compactly built for physical power, hence also being Small with Powerful Build.....
    Actually they are medium

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

It seems to me that this limited Animal Companion from few 'coming from' choices is really weak and mostly a trouble instead of interesting ability, really....

Also, Jotun seem to be a bit 'half-orcish' - they are pretty much bigger dwarves, with maybe slightly more potent bloodlines, but without 344 of other abilities. Kinda like Dwarf-Half Orc situation from in Core.

Other than that it looks pretty good.
    Last edited by Spiryt; 2012-08-19 at 03:30 PM.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D-naras View Post
    Actually they are medium
    No they aren't! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    It seems to me that this limited Animal Companion from few 'coming from' choices is really weak and mostly a trouble instead of interesting ability, really....
    Eh, it's moreso somewhat unbalanced. At level 1 it is too strong, but at higher levels way too weak. It does add a bit of bookkeeping, I suppose... what would you put there instead?

Also, Jotun seem to be a bit 'half-orcish' - they are pretty much bigger dwarves, with maybe slightly more potent bloodlines, but without 344 of other abilities. Kinda like Dwarf-Half Orc situation from in Core.
    Hm, maybe I should remove the dwarves' powerful build then? I don't agree with the Jotun being 'half-orcish' in that sense, since the half-orcs are a weak and uninteresting race, mechanically, which the Jotun definitely aren't.
    YouTube channel:

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I removed the Rural human's animal companion because yeah, at level 1 getting a riding dog was too much, and after that, who cares?

I replaced it with natural Wild Empathy. The bloodline abilities really shouldn't be too overwhelming, just a small unique bonus that carries a certain flavor.

As far as Dwarves being Small: with Powerful Build, this basically becomes "Dwarves are Medium creatures who get a +1 bonus to armor class, a +1 bonus to attack rolls, and a +4 bonus to Hide checks." It is all of the advantages with almost literally none of the drawbacks - the only one I can think of is not getting additional reach with Enlarge Person. Why not just let them stay Medium? Medium creatures with Powerful Build get a pass because Large size creatures aren't usually available as player options and take up more space, I always thought, so it was a way of being Large without actually gaining the reach and size.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I think I will instead take away Powerful Build, as they are intended to be small, though definitely at the upper limit of it (the smallest ones would be 3 feet). I'll replace it with a different, unique ability.

I honestly hadn't yet had the time to check out the new races in the new E6 compendium you got, so I will, and see if I can make some better abilities for the humans and the Equrun dwarves. (Though culturally speaking, an Equrun dwarf without a pony would feel dishonoured anyway.)
    YouTube channel:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The human bloodlines have been changed, basically just taking what Gnorman had. I had a whole bunch of ideas to give to the Soldier or Saltskin (I also changed some of the names to something that I thought sounded better), but in the end those abilities seemed much more perfectly fit for the elves or other races that are yet to come.

The half-elf/orc/dwarf stuff I've instead decided to turn into one-time-only feats. The feats are perhaps a little strong, but I intend for other one-time-only feats to likewise be strong.

I've also taken the dwarves' Powerful Build away and given them a different ability, Power of the Earth. I think I may need to make it stronger though, or change it in both fluff and mechanics to make it work while they aren't in contact with the ground.
    YouTube channel:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, Soldier background seems to be of somehow limited use to... soldiers, or rather classes that already have high BaB, Fighters in particular.

I think that Rural/naturalist bonus doesn't have to deal with animals necessarily, as it will always be somehow clunky the way 3.5 rules are built...

Maybe some bonus against getting fatigued and similar? As from background generally connected with constant, monotonous physical activity.

Power of Earth seems fine, useful both in combat and outside, but can't get abused easily.

"Ground" needs clarifying, though.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Soldier background seems to be of somehow limited use to... soldiers, or rather classes that already have high BaB, Fighters in particular.
    Hmm, most likely. Another idea was to give them 3/4 initiator level for non-martial adept classes, rather than 1/2, but that'd push them into that direction. Not necessarily a bad thing though, I suppose, especially since martial disciplines will likely be abound in the setting.

I think that Rural/naturalist bonus doesn't have to deal with animals necessarily, as it will always be somehow clunky the way 3.5 rules are built...

Maybe some bonus against getting fatigued and similar? As from background generally connected with constant, monotonous physical activity.
    Hmm, could be. I'd moreso equate that to fitting better with the Hinterlander. I could do something with a Wis-based skill instead, but the only ones I got for that are... Perception, Sense Motive, Survival, Heal, Profession and Autohypnosis. Still a decent amount, I suppose, but other than Autohypnosis they're all limited, and Autohypnosis would imply inherent psionic power. I could do something unique with Profession instead, but that'd be hard to come up with something good.

Power of Earth seems fine, useful both in combat and outside, but can't get abused easily.

"Ground" needs clarifying, though.
    Alright, that's good then. Why do you think it needs clarifying though? Or rather, I can see why maybe, but how? I think it's obvious it cannot be used while they're in the air, or swimming, or climbing a tree, or balancing on a rope (but they could use it while balancing on a slope).

Make it "standing on solid underground" instead?
    YouTube channel:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, that's good then. Why do you think it needs clarifying though? Or rather, I can see why maybe, but how? I think it's obvious it cannot be used while they're in the air, or swimming, or climbing a tree, or balancing on a rope (but they could use it while balancing on a slope).

Make it "standing on solid underground" instead?
    Power name suggest some more or less supernatural bind with earth, and all, so I guess one just should know if it can be anything you can stand on, or just natural ground, for example.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Power name suggest some more or less supernatural bind with earth, and all, so I guess one just should know if it can be anything you can stand on, or just natural ground, for example.
    Oh, it isn't meant to be supernatural at all. And even if it is, perhaps slightly, then it is more coming out of the dwarf themselves rather than the Earth.

To be honest I kind of pictured them grunting and shouting while doing their little "powering up", reminiscent of typical shounen anime heroes. Just for a moment, but it was a hilarious image.
    YouTube channel:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Came here from the worldbuilding:

Your Dwarves are clearly from Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress, but which?
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

If you had to hazard a guess, which one would you choose? Trick question!
    YouTube channel:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

If you had to hazard a guess, which one would you choose? Trick question!
    i dont know, Steve and Dwarves both use Lava as a convienient lightsource, both build rediculous machinery from Magic, Stone, and Wood, and build massive, complex cities underground.

we dont have Lawful Psychotic or True Psychotic for racial attributes
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

Drow avatar @ myself

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting. I've honestly never played Dwarf Fortress, but have played Minecraft. However, while the exact mechanics of Ymaggion dwarves as a race are fully new, their cities as they are (Acera especially) were created mostly way back in 2006. Admittably, it took a little while before I made it a dwarven city, rather than a human one, but that was at least pre-2008 still.

I presume that you are a fan of both games though, and thus do not see the comparison as a negative trait.
    YouTube channel:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting. I've honestly never played Dwarf Fortress, but have played Minecraft. However, while the exact mechanics of Ymaggion dwarves as a race are fully new, their cities as they are (Acera especially) were created mostly way back in 2006. Admittably, it took a little while before I made it a dwarven city, rather than a human one, but that was at least pre-2008 still.

I presume that you are a fan of both games though, and thus do not see the comparison as a negative trait.
    i dont, i like both games, although ive never figured out how to play Slaves to Armok: God of Blood: Chapter 2: Dwarf Fortress sucessfully.

again, are they Lawful Psychotic like Steve the Miner, or True Psychotic like the beerfueled war engines of Dwarf Fortress?
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-08-23 at 06:09 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure where they'd fit. I've honestly not thought much on the subject of dwarven morality, though I'd figure maybe only the Mountain Dwarves would stick much to the Dwarf Fortress mentality. Equrun Dwarves are different entirely.

I've also changed the Equrun Dwarves' bloodline stats, so that they do not gain an animal companion of sorts, though it is still considered dishonourable to them to not own (and ride) a pony.
    YouTube channel:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not sure where they'd fit. I've honestly not thought much on the subject of dwarven morality, though I'd figure maybe only the Mountain Dwarves would stick much to the Dwarf Fortress mentality. Equrun Dwarves are different entirely.

I've also changed the Equrun Dwarves' bloodline stats, so that they do not gain an animal companion of sorts, though it is still considered dishonourable to them to not own (and ride) a pony.
    no, they fit almost exactly, the only guys who dont really fit are the Duergar (They are Competent) if we are comparing it to DF: The Equaruns are the animal tamers (but the prefered mount is a Bear in DF), the Mountain Dwarves are the entirity of military dwarves, and City Dwarves are the lavasmiths.

the only thing missing is that Dwarf Fortress Dwarves actually perceive present, past, future, Left, Purple, and Buisenberry, simultaineously.
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-08-23 at 07:35 PM.

Drow avatar @ myself

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

There isn't a way to play Dwarf Fortress successfully. Remember, losing is fun!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnorman View Post
    There isn't a way to play Dwarf Fortress successfully. Remember, losing is fun!
    i get that, i cant get dwarves to do much more then dig a small appartment cluster, main hall, and then they just all go catatonic

Drow avatar @ myself

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    i get that, i cant get dwarves to do much more then dig a small appartment cluster, main hall, and then they just all go catatonic
    Survey says: needs more ale