Since our mutual friend Scott cannot DM or play for the time being (and Derek too, apparently), I have taken it upon myself to pick up the mantle of DM and take a crack at weaving an entertaining story. I'll edit extra information into this regarding character creation as the game proceeds. Interesting part: I'll try to make the beginning be the "call to adventure", since it seems the right thing to do with an E6/E8 game. Once we get to 6th level, I'll ask the party if they'd prefer to continue gaining levels, or start gaining feats. 8th will likely be the definitive cap, though.
Toska Moriarty (Stephen): Paladin
vorastrix12 (Konrad): Ranger
Awake: Dragonfire Adept (only if another character isn't available)
Potential Players (Might opt in later):
The Big 16:
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
D&D 3.5, using the E6 campaign rules. Potentially might change the max level as the campaign goes, likely to 8 instead of 6.
2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
This will be a homebrewed setting inspired heavily by Oerth, Faerun, and Eberron, set after some major events have happened that I will reveal to the players in character. It shares many essentials with these settings though. The reason for the gradual introduction to the setting is due to the isolation of where the group will start.
3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
3~5 Players; accepting randoms and opt in players. I'll try to run stuff with forum based players whenever I do something with the in-person portion of the party. Plenty going on to have the party split and regroup anyway.
4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
These forums, and potentially in person. Hybrid group and all that. Depending on the direction of this group, It might fracture into a few distinct parties depending on whether they prefer to run solo, use the forums, or -for the few I know in person- like to meetup to adventure instead. I'd like this to be as flexible as possible to allow more options.
5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Level 1, 0 experience. (Unless they provide enough roleplay fluff to suggest otherwise. Since there's a fairly low max level, it's a bit more flexible.)
6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Average starting gold for a character of your class/level. (This can be tied up in equipment or property, or you could have less depending on the aforementioned roleplay fluff)
7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Any class should fine, just run them by me first. Except no Tome of Battle. I know about the Unlimited Damage Crusader all too well.
8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Any, as long as it makes sense. Keep in mind that everyone is starting in a mountainous region. Homebrew is probably a no-no, stick to the books.
9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
5d6b3 for each stat. Here on the forums. Also, you're allowed to reroll one. Otherwise, those are your stats.
10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
Good or Neutral aligned, no evil. (Well, perhaps no chaotic evil. Lawful Evil gets along with good parties surprisingly well. It's quite interesting.)
11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Yes, no penalties for multi-classing.
12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Your rolls will be done here on the forum, mine will be done in private. I will also do any rolls that you cant know the outcomes to in private.
13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
Well, the E6 Rules are fairly straight forward and I can explain them here. Characters only gain class levels (class levels, keep that in mind) until 6th (or 8th, in some cases). After that, you gain feats to progress instead. Every 5000 experience over the max level, you may gain an additional feat.
14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
Yes. We will discuss each persons backgrounds in private and work out how you tie in to the game. Any information you feel is needed to understand your character, the rest can be filled in by me. However, players should know that this campaign starts in the mountains/foothills, so races and backgrounds should reflect this. Unless they're not from around there. In which case, they'd need to work out why they're in the mountains to begin with.
15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
A healthy combination of all of the above, ideally.
16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
Any sources you want, just tell me first. Tome of Battle feats are okay. Classes from it... nah.
I just want to go ahead and reserve a color, aswell.Bold Dark Red is what Sir Jonathan shall talk in, since it is the color of strength and battle!. But also, may I suggest something? If this is going to be completely online (as I suspect it will if Karlin's out) then wouldn't it be in our best interests to recruit randoms?
Praise be to our highest most exalted lord, Emperor Ing for gifting me with this magnificent avatar. Also check out his awesome comic, Well That was Unexpected.