New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 48 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    It is the country of Guilder. It'd be inconceivable that it was totally serious.

That said, the leaders of Venice, a maritime trade empire-city in Italy, were called Doges. [The More You Know]
    Oh, I'm familiar with the Italian title, but it still doesn't mean they weren't all my doge.

As for naming your country Guilder, I had odds at 50/50 that it was unintentional.

EDIT: Also, I said once before, with only one person noting interest, the heir to Celero is currently unwed. A Private Message will be required to confirm Courtship. If you want a chance at a marriage pact with the next ruler of Celero, I need a PM* before round 2 ends. If no suitors present themselves by that time, she weds a noble from within the borders of Celero itself.

*Preferably in character
    Last edited by Logic; 2014-01-23 at 03:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Oh, I'm familiar with the Italian title, but it still doesn't mean they weren't all my doge.

As for naming your country Guilder, I had odds at 50/50 that it was unintentional.

EDIT: Also, I said once before, with only one person noting interest, the heir to Celero is currently unwed. A Private Message will be required to confirm Courtship. If you want a chance at a marriage pact with the next ruler of Celero, I need a PM* before round 2 ends. If no suitors present themselves by that time, she weds a noble from within the borders of Celero itself.

*Preferably in character
    Well, that is a most interesting offer... I may take you up on that.

Yeah, Guilder was intentional. As was "Tumberink", which was the most serious version of Humperdink I could think of.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #663
    Bugbear in the Playground

Behold, the ruler of Guilder:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I would like to request MorphBark put this with my country's information.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like to request MorphBark put this with my country's information.
    With a simple edit of your people it could even be an accurate representation.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

@Sam Burke, Regarding your IC question in the other thread:

I'm guessing the lighthouse you are building would take 5 turns or perhaps 5 years, if you intend it to be a great wonder type of lighthouse.
    Just a normal lighthouse you say? Not sure you need to make that an action. If you want to pepper your coast with lighthouses, that's probably an action.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Research is for high curiosity only last I heard. I'm not sure whether you can spend an action on research just to raise your curiosity.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is just hilarious. I look forward to doing trade with the great dog doge.

-moossabi

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by avr View Post
    Research is for high curiosity only last I heard. I'm not sure whether you can spend an action on research just to raise your curiosity.
    In that case how do you even raise Curiosity if being Curious about things is banned?
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

10. - Top - End - #670

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    In that case how do you even raise Curiosity if being Curious about things is banned?
    Well, he may not have seen the newest rules. But the way I see it, research would only be something minor and doesn't impact the game besides raising your Curiosity.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

Research raises curiosity. Fruitful research requires high curiosity.

The difference is success.
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-01-23 at 09:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Each member of an alliance needs to spend one action to join an alliance. Or do you mean members needing to spend 3 actions to join it? The latter would be ridiculous indeed.

Ahh, so you're in... the Philippines, Japan, South Korea, thereabouts?
    Yes, I did mean the latter.

Yes, that timezone.

Also, I'd like to request those who have "metals" or variations thereof pick one metal as their resource, as to not be nonspecific. (Because having access to all metals or even three as opposed to one gives a very big edge.)
    (It was worth a try).

I select iron. I seem to have a spare action for this round. As the current Curiousity 5 includes the new Curiousity 5 action (discovering a resource), hypothetically, could I spend it rather than wait? Also, are there any rules on finding things such as adamantine, mithril, or bloodfire in your own home region?

EDIT
    A good question! Let's say, up to about three? I just remembered that I wanted to put tags on the resources as a quick description of how good and abundant that resource is ([Good] as the standard and for starters, [Great!] for abundance, which would allow more trade with it).
    Is this still correct? [Good] resources can be traded with up to three regions?
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-01-23 at 10:59 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    What gave you the idea that being curious about things is banned?

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Research raises curiosity. Fruitful research requires high curiosity.

The difference is success.
    That's basically the gist of it.

Tychris, if you meant to refer to my reaction to Thunderfist's pre-edit actions, that was because they resulted in the introduction of magic, which is not yet in the game. To note, even Curiosity 5 (or Curiosity 10 from Round Two onwards) cannot introduce magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    I select iron. I seem to have a spare action for this round. As the current Curiousity 5 includes the new Curiousity 5 action (discovering a resource), hypothetically, could I spend it rather than wait? Also, are there any rules on finding things such as adamantine, mithril, or bloodfire in your own home region?
    You can still spend it on that, yes. As for those who spend their Curiosity 5 action in Round One on new technology, that counts as having spent their Curiosity 10 action from Round Two onwards. (Because I have no idea how else to best do it, plus those who have done that and do not increase their Curiosity have high chances of that technology being stolen with an opposed Curiosity check.) Those who spend it on new resources will count as having spent their Curiosity 5 action from Round Two onwards, as normal.

As for finding things like adamantine, mithril or bloodfire in your home region, that is certainly possible, as long as you can reasonably justify it. Regions without mountains are unlikely to yield any sort of metals other than precious ones such as gold, for instance. Regions without volcanic activity won't have obsidian or sulfur around, and regions in the far north or in desert areas probably will have less or no wood to be found.

Is this still correct? [Good] resources can be traded with up to three regions?
    Yes.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, thats good to know. I'll add it to the faq as follows:

[Poor] - A region can only use this resource in their own country, and only in limited uses.

[Good] - A region can use this resource in trade to a limited amount (three) of other countries, and for use in its own country.

[Great] - A region can use this resource in trade to many other countries, and for use in its own country.

Is that the thick of it?

Can a region trade one resource to 4 countries and forgo using it itself, but by doing so they deplete it to a [poor] status?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Alright, thats good to know. I'll add it to the faq as follows:

[Poor] - A region can only use this resource in their own country, and only in limited uses.

[Good] - A region can use this resource in trade to a limited amount (three) of other countries, and for use in its own country.

[Great] - A region can use this resource in trade to many other countries, and for use in its own country.

Is that the thick of it?

Can a region trade one resource to 4 countries and forgo using it itself, but by doing so they deplete it to a [poor] status?
    Add to [Poor] that they cannot have any specific benefits. Like technology cannot be based off it (cannot be involved in Curiosity 10 actions).

A region could technically trade a resource to 4 countries and forgo using it itself, I suppose. I'd rather not though, for the sake of making keep track easier. (But you could invite people from one such other region to make use of it within your borders for research, perhaps.)

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

Add to [Poor] that they cannot have any specific benefits. Like technology cannot be based off it (cannot be involved in Curiosity 10 actions).

A region could technically trade a resource to 4 countries and forgo using it itself, I suppose. I'd rather not though, for the sake of making keep track easier. (But you could invite people from one such other region to make use of it within your borders for research, perhaps.)
    Added to the FAQ.

Also, since I have a preexisting alliance with Razdis, do I need to spend an action on our longstanding trade agreement, or can I just list it in my country details?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Added to the FAQ.

Also, since I have a preexisting alliance with Razdis, do I need to spend an action on our longstanding trade agreement, or can I just list it in my country details?
    You can just list it.

By the way, I just received word that my assessment interview for a school will be next Thursday, so between starting Round Two and Thursday afternoon I won't be available for questions. If anyone has any questions, please don't hold them off until too late.

For that reason, if nobody minds, I'd like to start Round Two Sunday morning rather than Sunday evening (GMT+1, so Pacific Coasters who are night owls might be in luck). I wanted to shift the start of the round to Sunday morning since some players may only have time on weekends, and I figure they still might not have all weekends available. This way, they can post one round's actions on Saturday, and the next round's actions the day after, not needing to worry about it until Saturday two weeks later (unless they have conversations standing with other players).

18. - Top - End - #678
    Halfling in the Playground

@ C'nor: I'm still willing to trade some of your bloodfire for eighter raw materials or building you a temple. just let me know
    "Only the foolish overlook the threat that kobolds actually pose." - Races of the Dragon

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Another question for the FAQ here. Does the first action take place in 330 or 331? I have seen both in the IC thread. So the turn will either be 330-334 or 331-335.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Another question for the FAQ here. Does the first action take place in 330 or 331? I have seen both in the IC thread. So the turn will either be 330-334 or 331-335.
    Everything preliminary to the game players have made is up to 330. Round One is then 331-335, Round Two 336-340, etc.

Each action is roughly a year, but if someone doesn't specifically put an action in a specific year in accordance with where another player they made an agreement with put theirs, I won't nitpick on that. The importance lies in which round things happen, not in which order of actions.

On that note, has anyone not yet acted that made any agreements with other players during this round?

EDIT: For the record, in the future, any questions sent to me via PM that apply to everyone in general, rather than the person asking the question in particular, I'll quote it here to answer it. Questions asked in the IC thread will generally be overlooked, so please don't post them there.
    Would it be possible to begin a "Great Project" to improve my country's farmland? The intent is to mitigate my import necessity, so I understand if this would not be permitted.

As for other "great Projects"
    Can we have more than one Great Wall, or will this be like Civilization?
    As to the first, currently I'd go with "no", but that's a valid point. I'll think on it. (I think I'd rather have a Great Project negate Import Necessity rather than a Curiosity 5 Special Action, which could be the case now.)

As for Great Walls, I was actually thinking a Great Wall would effectively occupy all borders and so you wouldn't need more than one. Does this seem logical, mechanically balanced or fair?
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-24 at 10:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

On that note, has anyone not yet acted that made any agreements with other players during this round?
    I'm not done acting, and I'm doing some acts with other players, such as the Grand Ball invites (which will be to all nations). Working on finishing all that up now. Why, what's up?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

Everything preliminary to the game players have made is up to 330. Round One is then 331-335, Round Two 336-340, etc.
    Thanks, I mostly just wanted to know for the sake of tracking ages

As to the first, currently I'd go with "no", but that's a valid point. I'll think on it. (I think I'd rather have a Great Project negate Import Necessity rather than a Curiosity 5 Special Action, which could be the case now.)

As for Great Walls, I was actually thinking a Great Wall would effectively occupy all borders and so you wouldn't need more than one. Does this seem logical, mechanically balanced or fair?
    I like the idea of being able to do "great projects" to improve resources. Would we be able to do the same thing to say improve a resource from [Good] to [Great]?

And I think the question about the wall meant "If someone else constructs a great wall, may I also do so? Or is there a limit on the number of such projects that can exist."

Realistically, every country could probably build a great wall. It's just expensive and most people don't really need that.

Edit: and is Great Project a clearly defined thing? Does it take the same number of actions to construct a Great Wall as it does to say improve farmland?
    Last edited by zabbarot; 2014-01-24 at 10:46 AM.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: and is Great Project a clearly defined thing? Does it take the same number of actions to construct a Great Wall as it does to say improve farmland?
    And in addition to that, can one attempt to shorten the amount of time by gaining a resource/outside technology that could speed up the process, or having another nation assist in construction? Such as sending my craftsmen to assist in the construction, or having elephants assist in moving material, or being taught a more efficent way to make the kingdom faster.

(edited)
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-24 at 11:25 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

24. - Top - End - #684

The IC thread for the Grand Conference (Note: NOT the Grand Ball) is posted here.

However, maybe we can mix the Conference and the Ball into one Grand Event.
    Just throwing it out there.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    The IC thread for the Grand Conference (Note: NOT the Grand Ball) is posted here.

However, maybe we can mix the Conference and the Ball into one Grand Event.
    Just throwing it out there.
    How is it possible to get invited to the Conference? Because Guilder would most certainly like to attend.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, since the Ball is a way of extending the olive branch to the nations, and meet and greet with the royals, it could stand to reason that it could be used for people all discussing trade. It certainly would save people actions to attend, as they could discuss trade with everyone needed in one action...at least I believe.

It would have to be in Lyradis, but I see no reason why some nations couldn't have other actions present at this event.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

Another biggish question: In founding a religion how mystical can I be? I realize magic will eventually exist in this setting, so is it alright to ham it up a bit?

I figure Mosi II will receive a vision, upon which he will build his Church.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright folks! Done my Actions. I wrote a LOT.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #689

How is it possible to get invited to the Conference? Because Guilder would most certainly like to attend.
    Write me a PM to me in character and I'll see what I can do.

Also, I'm not sure yet if I'm able to attend the Ball with all these people raising armies. Can't get too far behind in army size.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

My opinion on import necessities: I think no matter your import, there is only so much you can do to improve your least available item. You might be able to scour the countryside looking for iron, or spend some time researching how to undo the damage caused by an enemy salting the earth, but you will probably never have it as an exportable resource. The best you can hope for is that a worldwide shortage doesn't suddenly leave you crippled.

Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android
    Spoiler
    Show