New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Fluff that doesn't make sense

Perhaps. I'm just curious as to what kinds of roles you normally use for your gnomes.

I guess a lot of my thing is that I'm a feat/skillmonkey, I love me my humans.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

Friends don't let friends play gnomes.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HealthKit View Post
    Friends don't let friends play gnomes.
    HA! I respect the rights of gnomophiles, play what you like.

To me, if halflings are personifications of elves saying, "We're so cool we have little cousins that use our Dex bonus to be the rogues so we dont have to."

Gnomes are dwarves saying, "Us too!!! And ours are jewelers ... with illusion powers! ... and comically big noses ... that can talk to badgers!!!"
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Gnomes had a social stigma among my old gaming group because of a particular player we had years ago. Only recently we start using them again.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diggorian View Post
    HA! I respect the rights of gnomophiles, play what you like.

To me, if halflings are personifications of elves saying, "We're so cool we have little cousins that use our Dex bonus to be the rogues so we dont have to."

Gnomes are dwarves saying, "Us too!!! And ours are jewelers ... with illusion powers! ... and comically big noses ... that can talk to badgers!!!"
    Lol!
    You could also say that they are the dwarve's cousins that can use arcane magic, so dwarves don't have to =P

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Gnomes make extremely capable spellcasters of any sort. Moreso than any other core race, if you ask me.

+2 Con is nice for a caster, -2 strength you utterly don't care about. +1 on any illusions you happen to cast. +1 AC for being small. Lower movement, who cares? No penalty to a mental stat. +con is nice for a druid, and no penalties to mental stats.

So.. so hey. Gnomes are awesome.

Plus you can freely stir your coffee. ^_^

Edit: And they've got the size +1 to hit for your rays, and are themselves coincidentally resistant to some illusions.
    Last edited by Kantolin; 2007-02-11 at 08:38 PM.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the gnomish fluff utterly and completely contradicts the crunch their given.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

8. - Top - End - #158

EvilClericGuy

You would think with their extreme passion for science and invention, gnomes would get a bonus to intelligence. Instead, they get a bonus to constitution. The logic behind this is pretty weird.

9. - Top - End - #159

The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    That... that is the best idea ever. Well, even moreso than legendary bakers.

I shall now make a D&D prestige class for units who use the legendary copying the bible style of martial arts.

Since Western monks deserve some ki-based butt-kicking power too!
    There's an Irish priest in my hometown who would kick your butt for that.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Since Western monks deserve some ki-based butt-kicking power too!

You're after Cleric, if you play it with lighter armours only. Unless there's a less martial version...

Western Monk is almost the archtypical 'Holy Man/Priest': deeply devout, and rewarded for it with powers to heal and protect.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpina View Post
    ...I really don't see why it's so hard to believe that the ideas the arose in the East of our world and led to the deveolpment of Shaolin Monks and those like them could have arisen in the same part of a fantasy world as the traditions of necromancy and druidism...
    I think for most people it's the fact that the D&D world (or at least, most of the default settings) are mostly presented as Tolkien-like, "europe and it's environs" settings. And then suddenly there's these monks who are (some may argue, but I stand firm on this) embedded with kung-fu asian flavor - and they don't do a good job at all of explaining where they come from.

Compare that to, say, the martial adepts from Tome of Battle, a book which many feel has a strong wuxia-type flavor: there's a serious effort to spell out who developed these techniques, and why.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

13. - Top - End - #163

Well, I haven't read Tome of Battle, but from my understanding of it it's a much more specific book than the PHB is. If they go into too much detail about the Monks background it would go against the whole genericness that they're going for.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

14. - Top - End - #164

yeah, that's a fair point. Actually the more I think about it, a lot of the "WTF, where are these monks coming from" reaction is due to the 2e -> 3e change.

15. - Top - End - #165

...and yet doesn't seem to affect the Barbarian or the Sorcerer...
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

16. - Top - End - #166

Right, because they fit in a lot more with the "default" setting. The monk is a little different, as noted.

Look, I'm not saying momks don't make sense. I'm just saying, I can see where people might think it doesn't quite fit.

Edit: Yes, what Matthew says.
    Last edited by SpiderBrigade; 2007-02-12 at 10:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

They are a relatively unfamiliar concept for an Occidental Pseudo Medieval setting.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tola View Post
    You're after Cleric, if you play it with lighter armours only. Unless there's a less martial version...
    Cloistered Cleric, yo!
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Western Monk is almost the archtypical 'Holy Man/Priest': deeply devout, and rewarded for it with powers to heal and protect.
    I'm aiming more for the I-sit-in-a-monastary-and-transcribe-the-bible monk, not a priest. Priests aren't what most people mean when they say 'monk' in a western context.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

20. - Top - End - #170

DruidGirl

So you guys think western monks weren't bad ass melee monsters? I dunno... I've seen Friar Tuck do some crazy stuff with that holy whupass stick of his...

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

monks and friars were lay people with no church affiliation.

22. - Top - End - #172

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    care to back that one up with some sort of reference?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
    I'm aiming more for the I-sit-in-a-monastary-and-transcribe-the-bible monk, not a priest. Priests aren't what most people mean when they say 'monk' in a western context.
    Archivist and Cloistered Cleric both fit that description rather well. Archivist especially hits the transcribing part...

JaronK

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Halflings make good Rogues because of their high dex and small stature, along with their happy-go-lucky attitude and mild racial kleptomania,
    By the quick look I took at Races of the Wild, halflings are not kleptomanic. Instead, their whole culture appears to be based on thieving. Unlike Kenders who just don't understand the concept, halflings understand and deliberately do not pay any heed to it.

And yet the race still exists. Mind-boggling.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Attilargh View Post
    By the quick look I took at Races of the Wild, halflings are not kleptomanic. Instead, their whole culture appears to be based on thieving. Unlike Kenders who just don't understand the concept, halflings understand and deliberately do not pay any heed to it.

And yet the race still exists. Mind-boggling.
    Whilst true that they have a culture based on petty thievery, they are nevertheless, essentially a 'Good' race (much as Goblins are an 'Evil' race). This means that they only steal what they need and/or what won't be particularly missed.

If people start getting angry about it, they simply return the stolen goods with an apology.

If people are still angry after that, they leave.

If people get angry enough to attack them, other halflings get angry too and before long the people that attacked the original halflings have no possessions to speak of (because they've all been stolen by angry halflings) and are possibly dead (it's hard to fight back against someone killing you in your sleep...they are only essentially good after all).

Basically, Halfings only go where they know they're welcome and bring good trading opportunities with them. Those places that they go expect a few things to go missing when Halflings are in town, but don't hold it against them because what would be the point? It's only a few small things. Halflings just don't go to places where their petty thievery causes offence.

That's how (along with not having many permanent settlements) Halflings, as a race, survive (according to RotW).
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

And it still doesn't make any sense to me.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    Not true. Dominicans, Franciscans, and all the rest were members of religious communities that were sponsored and approved by the Roman Catholic Church. (Link to the Catholic Encyclopedia article here.) The difference between friars and monks was that monks were supposed to live in seclusion and contemplation, but friars were part of the "mendicant orders" - that is, they were supposed to go out and actually work within the lay community. Both monks and friars did (and do) take holy vows, in much the same manner as priests and deacons. At least some friars become full priests, and can say all of the sacraments that priests normally can. (I'm not certain whether or not this is true of all friars, but there was a Franciscan at my Catholic high school who said Mass).

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

I've always kind of wondered why elves have infravision. With the exception of Drow, they are not a subterranean race.

29. - Top - End - #179

Well, in 2nd edition, infravision was the form of seeing in the dark that was around. In 3rd edition, they gave them low-light vision, which is just seeing in less light.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I know. But why could elves see in the dark? Goblins and dwarves make sense, because they live underground and thus do not get much sun. Elves (except Drow) live out on the surface, dancing in the sunlight and playing in the glens.