New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Comic will be later than midnight

I wanna read it soon, but better late than never! Take your time.

Of course, I am in a foreign timezone so it is almost certain to be up before my bedtime. BWAHAHAHA. The power!!
    "River" cancels eat: Food is problematic.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    What sort of perverse logic tells people that commenting on a thread such as this will actually accomplish anything? Either Rich wastes time reading the stuff hereon and, heartened by it, works faster, or he keeps working at the same pace that he normally works at, and finishes the comic. Either way, the comic gets posted about the same time.
    A few points:
    1) I doubt they think it will accomplish much. They (we) are frustrated and venting as well as filling time. When that becomes tedious or they (we) get too tired sleep will occur.

2) Rich has posted how he feels about "threads like these" IIRC while he enjoys his supporters trying to stand up for him the negativity of the "he owes us, this is his job, he must be punctual" drives him away from the comic.

of course I could be tired and not recalling correctly stranger things have happened.
    Last edited by zimri; 2007-02-13 at 02:21 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Mr Burlew is clearly a crafty man!

Don'y you see, by making the comic late, he drives us to utilize the forums, most likely boosting the community here, then he increases anticipation by promising more and keeping it delayed only long enough to get us very excited, never long enough to be frustrating. In fact, he only makes it late every so often, just to keep us on our toes!

Explains everything. He probably has done the comic up until July.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimri View Post
    A few points:
    1) I doubt they think it will accomplish much. They (we) are frustrated and venting as well as filling time. When that becomes tedious or they (we) get too tired sleep will occur.

2) Rich has posted how he feels about "threads like these" IIRC while he enjoys his supporters trying to stand up for him the negativity of the "he owes us, this is his job, he must be punctual" drives him away from the comic.

of course I could be tired and not recalling correctly stranger things have happened.
    Ahhh! Not so perverse logic indeed! So, does he like these threads and the number of people who post on them, or does he not like them? Your second point is unclear to this sleep deprived brain. Maybe I should just admit defeat, but that is not the barbarian way! The barbarian way is to plunge onward into a sea of blood!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Double-length...fair enough. Tahnks for letting us know! :P

6. - Top - End - #66

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Ahhh! Not so perverse logic indeed! So, does he like these threads and the number of people who post on them, or does he not like them? Your second point is unclear to this sleep deprived brain. Maybe I should just admit defeat, but that is not the barbarian way! The barbarian way is to plunge onward into a sea of blood!
    Terribly sorry about the unclearness. Again all of this is assuming I recall correctly and that his view has not changed. While he likes people leaping to his defense the negativity that the threads breed (some from most of the camps I am afraid) does MORE to drive him away from the comic.

as a side note... that king guy from that shakespeare play that wanted to walk amongst his people to find how they really felt about him could easily have done so on a message board.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Comparing Rich to a king is an insult to Rich. At least not a Shakesearean king anyway.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Comparing Rich to a king is an insult to Rich. At least not a Shakesearean king anyway.
    This oughta get interesting.

How so ?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

King? Nay brother, he is the emperor of a very small empire! Just don't let him get any new clothes! We only need one Indurain around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rockphed, do you by chance read Piers Anthony novels? Because you sounded just like Jordan there for a minute..

Rich is doing what he loves. But have you ever been forced to sit and do the thing you love to do for like.. oh.. 20 hours on end? You'll wind up hating it. Just let him make the comics as they come to him, it'll be better quality and more fun to read. Besides, the suspense is what makes things fun around here
    Last edited by Vonriel; 2007-02-13 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Stupid smilies don't work right! X_X
    -Vonriel

"DEMONS RUN WHEN A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR."

11. - Top - End - #71

This oughta get interesting.

How so ?
    Actually as an adendum it is my personal belief (shared by a certain doctor, though first mentioned if memory serves in the christian bible and echoed in many other places) That all people are equal. Mr. Burlew undoubtedly is a better artist and storyteller in his chosen style than I. All of us are kings and all of us are peasants some manage to pull off being both at the same time. My life, his life, your life (in my opinion) is not worth any more or less than any other human beings ... except maybe Norman Borlaug (if you don't know do a google/wiki search).

12. - Top - End - #72

OK. Now it is 9am (yay Europe) poor you guys staying up till three.

It is rare that it is not up, when i get up in the morning. I´ll check back at noon. (Or every ten minutes from now on...)

13. - Top - End - #73

DruidGirl

Thumbs up Re: Comic will be later than midnight

It's almost one thirty in the morning, and I hope the comic is out before I am. Come on Rich! We're pullin' for ya, big guy.

14. - Top - End - #74

ClericGirl

A watched artist never boils! Or something like that. :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    Yes, something like that.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VariaVespasa View Post
    But it does keep them from cutting their ears off!
    Spoiler
    Show

Member of the Miko Miyazaki Fan Club as of #407

17. - Top - End - #77

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tilian View Post
    But it does keep them from cutting their ears off!
    No it doesnt, it merely lets us get good video footage of it. :P
    \'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves....

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm a college student. As a student, my professors normally give me ample warning about deadlines. Example: I have a french exam tomorrow at 12:30 eastern and I would like to sleep before it. It is nearly 4 am and I can honestly state that I have not give it more than 15 minutes studying for the past few weeks, all of that in the past couple hours.

That is what is so endearing about Rich. Psh to these people who prepare their work ahead of time! Procrastinators around the world unite!!!

Really though, this might be a "job" but it's also art! How many authors do you know who take forever to put out a new novel? It's torture waiting, but they don't normally lose fans. I haven't seen anyone swearing off Harry Potter.

Oots is instant gratification in comparison. Good grief, there is a list of other webcomics on the boards themselves! Go to one of them! Why should anyone be sitting here moaning about not having their comic right at midnight when there are so many other choices. Personally, Questionable Content has been keeping my procrastination strong! I keep checking here periodically, but I don't refresh. When he does upload the comic, I don't want to deprive him of his bandwidth.

But if you'd rather argue this point... *shrug* Back to french studying I go!
    One sock, looking for the other. One sock, looking for its brother!&&&&Avatar by Chris the Pontifex, with much thanks and adorations! Signature by the lovely Ceika!&&&&

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Oh Noes! Please, Rich, don't cut your ears off!

Love the comic!
    Roy Greenhilt Memorial Fan Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance
    Save the party leader, save the world.
    Life does not consist of level-appropriate encounters.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FuziSlipers View Post
    That is what is so endearing about Rich. Psh to these people who prepare their work ahead of time! Procrastinators around the world unite!!!
    Er, maybe later.

Roy Greenhilt Memorial Fan Club.
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance
    Save the party leader, save the world.
    Life does not consist of level-appropriate encounters.

21. - Top - End - #81

DruidGirl

furious Re: Comic will be later than midnight

Quote Originally Posted by FuziSlipers View Post
    Really though, this might be a "job" but it's also art! How many authors do you know who take forever to put out a new novel? It's torture waiting, but they don't normally lose fans. I haven't seen anyone swearing off Harry Potter.
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...
    Quoted for Truthery. And sigged. :)

That said, it's in the editing stage now, so she's actually finished writing it, and it will get published regardless of what happens to her, apocalyptic scenarios aside...

Take your time, Mr. Burlew. I'd rather have five masterwork comics than a hundred bits of fluff.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

The lines will be drawn there will be three camps camp 1 will be "he owes us this is how he makes his living".
    Well, for the record, I never said that Mr. Burlew owes me anything; I was saying that working ahead would make things much easier for him. Imagine getting up in the morning and knowing that you have some double-length comic strip you have to finish and that your fans will be dissapointed if you miss your deadline. You'll fall farther behind and it'll effect the entire rest of your week. You may even, if it's a particularly bad week, end up missing an installment altogether. It's a drag thinking about all of this while at the same time trying to be funny and creative, isn't it?

Now imagine that you get up that same day and already have the day's strip completed; it's been completed for almost a week now, and you know that it'll be up on time. You have a deadline set for yourself to complete a new strip (which will go up next week), but if you miss it due to an emergency, poor planning, or just writer's block, you can rest easy knowing that you can make up the difference by working a little harder tomorrow and no one will be the wiser. You can come to the blank page with a little extra spring in your step knowing that there's no sword hanging over your head and you don't have to feel rushed or burdened, which is going to improve the overall quality of your work. It's rather like having a little extra cash in the bank for emergencies, as opposed to living paycheck to paycheck and finishing every month broke. It's a much happier way to lead your life. And hey, a man who writes comics for a living damn well SHOULD be happy when he goes into work, don't ya think?
    Last edited by Nerd_Paladin; 2007-02-13 at 04:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

woohoo! 3 pages of drooling and complaining and rambling for the next comic!

guess what guys? it'll be here when it gets here and you should be thankful
    this post has been brought to you by divine intervention