New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1026 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I am afraid I find it amusing that people are citing the achievements of 90 and 100 pound adult humans as evidence that a 30 pound halfling would be capable of human strength. Does the phrase "factor of three" mean anything? So if 100 pound mom can bench press 80 pounds, a proportionately strong 30 pound Belkar bench presses 24 pounds. If swinging a weapon, also reduce by a factor of two for arms half as long.
    Ah, such naivete. That's the problem with humans, always thinking other races are the same as they are.

See, you all are thinking of halflings as just really small humans. But their biology is utterly different. Unlike humans, halfling bodies are composed entirely of muscle, from skull to hairy feet. This explains how Belkar can leap and flip several times his height despite having stubby little legs - the raw force packed in that dense musculature is like the explosion of several atomic bombs in a single bound.

In fact, halflings are so densely-packed with muscle that the very atoms in their bodies have collapsed under their own gravity into material akin to that of a neutron star. Such is the amount of strength Belkar has. The gravity he generates is so intense that he requires the strength of several gods just swing and move his arms - this is the only reason he doesn't obliterate every enemy with a mere flick of a fingernail.

As for why he only "weighs" thirty pounds, the neutronic composition of a halfling's body is such that technically, he exerts more gravity on the planet than it does on him. When he leaps and jumps around, he's actually pushing the planet around under his feet.

Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...

Which is, incidentally, why they're all sociopathic munchkins.They're very disturbed little singularities - and they have no brains, just coiled muscle tissue in their skulls, and collapsed miniature black holes in place of a soul.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Ah, such naivete. That's the problem with humans, always thinking other races are the same as they are.

See, you all are thinking of halflings as just really small humans. But their biology is utterly different. Unlike humans, halfling bodies are composed entirely of muscle, from skull to hairy feet. This explains how Belkar can leap and flip several times his height despite having stubby little legs - the raw force packed in that dense musculature is like the explosion of several atomic bombs in a single bound.

In fact, halflings are so densely-packed with muscle that the very atoms in their bodies have collapsed under their own gravity into material akin to that of a neutron star. Such is the amount of strength Belkar has. The gravity he generates is so intense that he requires the strength of several gods just swing and move his arms - this is the only reason he doesn't obliterate every enemy with a mere flick of a fingernail.

As for why he only "weighs" thirty pounds, the neutronic composition of a halfling's body is such that technically, he exerts more gravity on the planet than it does on him. When he leaps and jumps around, he's actually pushing the planet around under his feet.

Incidentally, this is why you never see a group of halflings together. Their collective gravitational force could rip apart fabric of space-time. No halfling can ever spend too much time near another halfling, lest they end the planet as they know it. They live solitary lives, separated from their own mothers from infancy, for the sake of the planet. It is a grave burden they bear...

Which is, incidentally, why they're all sociopathic munchkins.They're very disturbed little singularities - and they have no brains, just coiled muscle tissue in their skulls, and collapsed miniature black holes in place of a soul.
    I stand corrected!

But now I'm wondering about Halfling reproduction - sounds like sex could be, er, explosive.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I stand corrected!

But now I'm wondering about Halfling reproduction - sounds like sex could be, er, explosive.
    Halflings form from meteorites. Whenever someone wishes on a shooting star, all the non-happy energy that isn't used in the wish gets used to make a Halfling.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #244

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Rampant Speculation - V is for Vendetta

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Please cite, I believe you, but I would like to recall which comics

There's a lot of details to remember
    I'm on the mobile site so can't link. However, the first showdown between V and Z has Z firing Lightning without saying anything, and at the end of the Xykon/V duel, Xykon tears down the walls of his Tower after V and O-chul escape. In the latter case, X was yelling while casting, so the spell he was casting would've been out of place. Likewise, in 1026, when V flies past its a very busy shot; there's a lot of elements we need to see. Having him stuff 'burning hands' into a speech bubble might've been too much clutter in the frame. That's my guess, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Halflings form from meteorites.
    Isn't that a Moby song?
    Last edited by Rift_Wolf; 2016-03-03 at 08:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    What I mean is: Should the honor I amassed in life be tarnished by the actions of my body after death, then my spirit will rise and wreak vengeance upon those responsible.
    So... making a ghoul is right out?
    No one expects the Bardic Exposition!

Quibblicious.

6. - Top - End - #246

BardGuy

I am afraid I find it amusing that people are citing the achievements of 90 and 100 pound adult humans as evidence that a 30 pound halfling would be capable of human strength. Does the phrase "factor of three" mean anything? So if 100 pound mom can bench press 80 pounds, a proportionately strong 30 pound Belkar bench presses 24 pounds. If swinging a weapon, also reduce by a factor of two for arms half as long.
    The scaling is non-linear, and training matters.

That's my counterargument in a nutshell.

Q

Quibblicious.

7. - Top - End - #247

BardGuy

My gods! Chuck Norris is a tall halfling!!

Quibblicious.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Halflings form from meteorites. Whenever someone wishes on a shooting star, all the non-happy energy that isn't used in the wish gets used to make a Halfling.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

10. - Top - End - #250
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    There are three halflings at the Godsmoot. Guess how the Gods will destroy the world if Dvalin votes yes.

We are all dead
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

*Single Tear*

I think this is the most beautiful thing I have ever read.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Now I can only think of Halflings as short Klingon's...rough sex and all that...little people with forehead bone ridges and oddly shaped sharp metal objects...
    So I said to myself "SELF, if I were you, and I think I am, I would be beside myself in embarrassment, so slap myself silly."

13. - Top - End - #253

Thank you.

This is why I come here every day.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

...Yeah, I think I'm going to have to sig this. You understand, I'm sure. This comment chain must be preserved for future generations. If not for posterity, than as a PSA. :P
    Last edited by ChillerInstinct; 2016-03-03 at 12:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChillerInstinct View Post
    ...Yeah, I think I'm going to have to sig this. You understand, I'm sure. This comment chain must be preserved for future generations. If not for posterity, than as a PSA. :P
    I'm sending this to Hasbro, they can use it for the end of a G.I. Joe episode
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

...and the remaining waste is used for Kenders.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

17. - Top - End - #257

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Okay, I'll admit to not knowing D&D, but it looks just like the Flame Strike spell I've seen in past pages of this comic, so that was the conclusion I made. In any case, is there some roughly equivalent wizard spell?

My point is still the same, that there are reasons to leave the spell name out of the panel that have nothing to do with the Silent Spell feat or any foreshadowing.
    The spell was probably a Scorching Ray. V probably has the Silent Spell feat now. It would seem to fit what we are seeing in the comic.
    FTDWIR

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareasint View Post
    The spell was probably a Scorching Ray. V probably has the Silent Spell feat now. It would seem to fit what we are seeing in the comic.
    Can't be. Scorching Ray looks like this

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Burning hands maybe?

I don't know

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PallentisLunam View Post
    Can't be. Scorching Ray looks like this
    And cone of cold looks like this. It could well be scorching ray, given the numerous art improvements Rich has made.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

And cone of cold looks like this. It could well be scorching ray, given the numerous art improvements Rich has made.
    To give a true comparison:
    Cone of Cold (Old), Cone of Cold (New)
    Scorching Ray, Unknown Spell

Not to say it specifically is Scorching Ray, but it does seem to align with the art upgrade. It seems like Scorching Ray would be more.... well, ray-shaped, I'd have thought.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

It probably isn't Scorching Ray, judging by the way Ray Of Frost looked post-upgrade.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I think it's burning hands.
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

24. - Top - End - #264
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It was a fantastic comic. I am a big fan of Belkar so when I saw the title I was sure it was going to be fantastic as the goliath goes down the mountain. I was totally set up for it and strung along, and then the disappointment of the kill steal, and then I understood it was a dupe on me. Well played.
    That must be wonderful, I have no idea what it means. -Moliere

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think it's burning hands.
    Burning hands has a rather specific somatic component. As the name suggests, it uses two hands to cast, though a tool such as a staff can serve as a substitute should one possess such a tool.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Burning hands has a rather specific somatic component. As the name suggests, it uses two hands to cast, though a tool such as a staff can serve as a substitute should one possess such a tool.
    Not per the SRD. One could, however interpret "from your fingertips" as "all your fingertips" (or at least two). I don't have the PHB on me right now, so the actual spell could be worded differently. (5e DOES specify the somatic component though, which I think is nice.)
    Last edited by Pyrous; 2016-03-03 at 07:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    To give a true comparison:
    Cone of Cold (Old), Cone of Cold (New)
    Scorching Ray, Unknown Spell

Not to say it specifically is Scorching Ray, but it does seem to align with the art upgrade. It seems like Scorching Ray would be more.... well, ray-shaped, I'd have thought.
    Scorching ray should also have three distinct rays rather than one mass of fire.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I wouldn't beat yourselves up over the spell. V is known to use spells that aren't in the SRD, for example, Bugsby's Cat Retrieving Hand.
    That must be wonderful, I have no idea what it means. -Moliere

29. - Top - End - #269
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IamWeasel View Post
    I wouldn't beat yourselves up over the spell. V is known to use spells that aren't in the SRD, for example, Bugsby's Cat Retrieving Hand.
    Which is the first spell that a wizard researches. If they survive the cat...

30. - Top - End - #270

BlackDragon

This spell seems similar to one Xykon casts in 459 while fighting the ghost martyrs. Also without shouting out the spell name.
    Though that one did have both hands so i suppose that could be burning hands. But this one does seem to me to be that spell while art upgraded. And well one finger fits the scene better.

But i really really doubt it was scorching ray