New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1503
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings 2 Thread III: Keeping Up With The Karlings

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Well, It would seem as if the Aztecs quickly found where the power in Europe lies...

Spoiler
    Show
    Neat, that's like one game I played where Francia got formed and then became a theocracy and never again was there a Pope who didn't start out Emperor of Francia.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Is there a way to get (free) people of other (arbitrary) religions to accept invites into your court aside from concubinage?

I ask because, while I can see how to engineer a Sayyid Saoshyant Descendant who is also Augustus of the Roman Empire and the Fylkir for good measure, it requires being of Norse culture and remaining either Zoroastrian or (Reformed) Pagan to acquire educators for religions not already present in my court, and it would considerably quicken the process if I did not have to start in Sweden.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2016-04-30 at 12:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Troll in the Playground

Free as in you don't have to pay for it? No.

You can use Buy Favor to force-invite people of other religions to your court, though.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2016-04-30 at 09:54 AM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Free as in you don't have to pay for it? No.

You can use Buy Favor to force-invite people of other religions to your court, though.
    Sorry for my ambiguity; I meant "free" as in "not imprisoned", since prisoners can't serve as educators.

Buy Favor is perfect, then. Thanks!

5. - Top - End - #1085
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Well, It would seem as if the Aztecs quickly found where the power in Europe lies...

Spoiler
    Show
    Is that a German Ireland? What sort of shenanigans are these??
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #1086
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm...maybe a Crusade to kick the Aztecs out of Ireland before they had converted?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Titan in the Playground

Have they nerfed William somehow? In my last... 4 games I think, he completely failed to conquer England.

In other news... This is a boring game. (this particular game, not CK2). I just can't get traction to become a duke. 18 years marrying off courtiers with eachother gets boring after a while.
    I finally have a claim, but no way to push it...
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So in my Monetfort game I've finally managed to get independence from the king of Brettonia (Who is still alive despite being nearly 200) thinks to being part of a victorious independance faction which now means unified Brettonia has now split into 4 large factions, the north and some of the center is still held by the king, I hold the West and there are two more reasonably powerful factions in the south. With my new found independence I've recreated Imperial Westerland and used the Imperial reconquest CB to claim massive tracts of land meanwhile my Heir is now Betrothed to the Empress of Imperial Reikland hopefully he will still be able to become a Grail knight or at least his Children will when they show up so that I can create an undying ruler of the Empire stretching from Slyvaina to the Brettonian coast, I might even try becoming a vampire if I can do that without losing my family ties but we shall see. The next target is the central Imps who have lost quite abit of land to Hochland and Ostmark.

The winds of Chaos have been massive throughout the entire game as well so getting the attention of one of the Chaos gods would quickly lead to deamonhood as well which would be interesting, this character has also had something like 7 daughters who I've used to spread my bloodline throughout the world in matrilineal marriages to second sons of the kings and thanks to the government of most countries being Gavelkind those seeds have been taking root which is also quite interesting if not particularly useful. Although I did recently get a territory in Mymiddon lands which I'm thinking of converting to the Grail religion then giving it to one of my Grandkids who are still at court before granting them independence just to see what happens.

Edit: To the above yea count to duke might be the most difficult and reliant on luck, but as with everything in this game I'd recommend murder. Marry on of his daughters or siblings then murder everyone else in the family until your spouse inherits then murder her once you've got a child out of her, then murder the child so that the territory goes to you.
    Last edited by Spacewolf; 2016-04-30 at 04:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Have they nerfed William somehow? In my last... 4 games I think, he completely failed to conquer England.
    Militarily speaking, he has a fairly good chance of beating Harold, though the AI often finds a way to muck it up. The problem is diplomatic: The King of France and his relatives has a tendency to marry one of Harold's relatives, and then either Harold calls him into the war against Hardrada or he calls Harold into that most famous of conflicts, the Holy Roman-French De Jure War for Gent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Militarily speaking, he has a fairly good chance of beating Harold, though the AI often finds a way to muck it up. The problem is diplomatic: The King of France and his relatives has a tendency to marry one of Harold's relatives, and then either Harold calls him into the war against Hardrada or he calls Harold into that most famous of conflicts, the Holy Roman-French De Jure War for Gent.
    The real question is how to conquer england for Svend of denmark to get the achievement. Alliance with someone who has a shot?

Nevermind, just got the achievement.
    Last edited by Crow; 2016-04-30 at 06:24 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Is that a German Ireland? What sort of shenanigans are these??
    Hmm...maybe a Crusade to kick the Aztecs out of Ireland before they had converted?
    Britain had an...interesting time during my game. The welsh united under a king and went on a conquering spree. they conquered Ireland, most of Scotland and parts of England. However, eventually England formed and the Scots kicked the Welsh out of Scotland while the Anglo-Saxons kicked them out of their English holdings.

While this was happening, the King of Germany, an Erich von Heimbach decided that converting to Cathar was a great idea. Therefore the Pope called a crusade and Germany was conquered by King Morydd The Great. King of Wales and Ireland...or Brythoniaid and Iwerddon as the case may be. A few generations pass and the Anglo-Saxons eventually pushed them out of Wales proper. This caused them to eventually lose the Welsh Kingdom and they decided to go with Germany as their primary title.

Meanwhile, I hope and wait for the day Bulgaria becomes an empire...I really wish the AI was more liberal with custom Kingdoms and Empires, because they definitely have enough land and money for it.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2016-04-30 at 06:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1093
    Titan in the Playground

GRRRR
    I simply can't get any traction whatsoever.
    I now have a fabricated claim, but no way to back it up with weapons.

Edit:
    And when I ALMOST won... Dennark swoops in and kills my precious mercenaries. Because.
    I think I'll start over as a duke. Not as fun but if you can't get traction, playing as a county sucks.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2016-05-01 at 08:59 AM.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

14. - Top - End - #1094
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The worst part about being a count is that you don't get any tech and without tech you can't pass more advanced laws or get better troops(if that's your thing).

Therefore, the longer you're stuck as a count, the worse off you'll be. It kind of sucks.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

Yep.

I am starting over but not sure as what or who. The thing with Dal is that the Dutchy youre in is owned by the king.

I am weird too. Custom characters feel like cheating to me*, yet the historical -ish ones often feels dull.

*Starting as a female ruler with seduction focus probably makes advancing to duke much easier than both the default character or any other custom one.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep.

I am starting over but not sure as what or who. The thing with Dal is that the Dutchy youre in is owned by the king.

I am weird too. Custom characters feel like cheating to me*, yet the historical -ish ones often feels dull.

*Starting as a female ruler with seduction focus probably makes advancing to duke much easier than both the default character or any other custom one.
    Start with somebody who has a daughter of son to marry off to somebody powerful. Use them to get a non-aggression pact, then upgrade to an alliance. Let your allies do the heavy lifting in your claim war.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

I have only had one truly super successful game; ironically that was with the "historical" count of Dal in 1066.
    My other game that went reasonable well was with Duchess Mathilda of Tuscany 1066.

I DO seem to have better luck starting in the second bookbark for 1066 than the first (I also prefer it, because to me it is when the true "high medieval" really starts, when the last vikings were crushed).
    However, this time I discovered (or rather remembered when I saw it) that there is a historical countess in Sweden as early as 1081: Countess Sunniva of Värmland.

I will go with her, just for fun.
    Spoiler: I wil go with her, just for fun!
    Show
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2016-05-01 at 01:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, traits that give attraction bonuses are stupidly cost-effective in the Ruler Designer for female characters. "She's arbitrary, craven, and ate my firstborn baby for dinner last night, but good GOD is she gorgeous! 10/10, would swear fealty to again!"
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1099
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, traits that give attraction bonuses are stupidly cost-effective in the Ruler Designer for female characters. "She's arbitrary, craven, and ate my firstborn baby for dinner last night, but good GOD is she gorgeous! 10/10, would swear fealty to again!"
    And of course I immediately gave her Seduction focus... Heh.
    I need a husband with high diplomacy. Then off to seduce the king!

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

Okay this is just silly.
    Feels like I should start over.

Spoiler: Look at the king's oppinion of me:
    Show

The king of Sweden gave me the title of Duchess the second the game started.
    I had JUST pressed "unpause" after sending out my marriage request to some guy in France... And that happened.

I'd like to think it's because he's hitting on me, but my gut tells me I am the lease annoying count(es) he has to deal with and his demense was way too big.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay this is just silly.
    Feels like I should start over.

Spoiler: Look at the king's oppinion of me:
    Show

The king of Sweden gave me the title of Duchess the second the game started.
    I had JUST pressed "unpause" after sending out my marriage request to some guy in France... And that happened.

I'd like to think it's because he's hitting on me, but my gut tells me I am the lease annoying count(es) he has to deal with and his demense was way too big.
    Okay, I don't say this to be mean, but it seems like you're never satisfied.

You pick a very slow going start as a count under a King and complain that your game is slow going. You change up your starting conditions to speed things up and then complain that your game sped up.

What do you actually want out of a game of CK2? What is your ideal pace? What, specifically, is your goal of playing the game?
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Troll in the Playground

Anybody know a way to mod it so you can transfer dukes to kings again? I'm looking at upgrading my empire to use Viceroyalties, but the net result of trying is border gore and broken vassal limits.

I've been poking around the game files (enabled assassination and unlimited theocracies/republics again), but there doesn't seem to be any option for it.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Colossus in the Playground

I've learned a lesson. Even if you have an army of 12000 chaos barbarians with dwarven armor led by a trio of chosen, plus a few thousand brettonian knights, don't try and raid Athel Loren.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Okay, I don't say this to be mean, but it seems like you're never satisfied.

You pick a very slow going start as a count under a King and complain that your game is slow going. You change up your starting conditions to speed things up and then complain that your game sped up.

What do you actually want out of a game of CK2? What is your ideal pace? What, specifically, is your goal of playing the game?
    Ah, the internetz. So hard to read if serious or not sometimes.
    I wasn't entirely serious about this; I am not starting over. It just felt a little... anti-climactic to get a gift that big in my lap from the get go. I had mentally prepared myself for much more of a struggle.

SO, to recap:
    Became Duchess in 1 second. Spent the next 4 months conquering Dal then bribing him (Faste) back into happiness. So now this Duchy is split into 4 counties; two owned by me, two by the king.
    Also, having a heir already (actually she starts with an in-dynasty heir; but I prefer a son of my own...

Edit:
    I did reload yesterday: I wasn't aware of Seduction now not working well on certain traits. Logial yes, but I don't want to start the game with the king hating me.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2016-05-01 at 11:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Titan in the Playground

Managed to stop the king from stealing my county by bethrode my heir to his oldest daughter.
    They're 1 and 3 years old right now but if her stats turns out fine being married to a princess is not bad.
    Besides for all we know the king might be dead by then.

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It just felt a little... anti-climactic to get a gift that big in my lap from the get go.
    I can certainly sympathize with that feeling. I remember once I started as the Duke of Flanders in the earliest start date and after Charlemagne inherited his brother's kingdom. He gave me like 4 counties strewn across the map. It wasn't a huge amount, but it was enough to propel me into one of the most powerful dukes in the realm.

i do prefer games where I get challenged, because in my opinion...even with all the changes with Conclave. It is way too easy to snowball out of control. I feel a lot of it has to do with the idiocy of the AI outside of any kind of mechanical limitations.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2016-05-03 at 12:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Ogre in the Playground

How do I get these damn vikings to elect my son? They keep wanting to put my cousins on the throne after I die even when my cousins keep mysteriously dying. My son's got better stats, more lands, and more prestige than the lot of his cousins. Elect him dammit!

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Titan in the Playground

One thing you have to learn in CK is to take a step back at times. The "goal" is for your family to survive and preferably grow.
    It is natural that you have these big plans for the character you play and his or hers heirs... but if your cousin is of your dynasty... maybe take a step back and let them pick him?

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Troll in the Playground

Is it Elective Gavelkind?

Voters under Elective Gavelkind prefer people who aren't going to inherit lands under the "gavelkind" part of the equation i.e. not your sons. Especially not your landed sons.

It's a big incentive to get out from under EG as soon as you can (i.e. reform or convert and feudalize).

Or you could simply embrace the blobsplosion every generation and fill the world with nations of your dynasty. That's also an option!

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Ettin in the Playground

I just had my bastard vassals elect some other turd on elective monarchy. So when he inherited, my heir kept all of his lands but was only a double duke now. This put me a bit over the holding limit. So I immediately declared war on the new king before my levies could deplete due to the penalty.

Mopped them up pretty quick, and my chosen heir took the throne as well as threw a bunch of his new vassals in prison as part of the surrender agreement.