New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. V: You Joined the Cavalry.

Two blokes with swords that based on the fact they crashed their ship would likely stand up to anything less than a several thousand pound bomb at a minimum. It's just Hive and Daisy are that nasty. Remember Ronan was using a warhammer and mr Amnesia guy used a Staff too, it seems to be a cultural thing. Yet they still gave the Nova Corps a huge number of issues in a long and bloody war and Ronan was still able to cause 5 kinds of hell too. WHen your tough enough and strong enough that 90% of the weaponry that can be made man portable without extreme tech levels can't hurt you,. but your strong enough to sqwing a big nasty blade hard enough to hurt each other. Axes and the like make sense. They're likly the only thing a Kree of the Era they're from could pack that would actually be a danger to another Kree.
    Ronan were not using a warhammer, he were using a hammershaped energy weapon that just happens to have a design allowing for knocking people in the head as well. Plenty of his minions were using energy weapons.

Honestly after the last few episodes my opinion of a lot of the Daisy vs Avengers matchups has completely swapped around. Vision and Hulk would be fine i think, they're just so tough and so hard hitting, and Wanda has mind control to just shut her down, but anyone else i think she'd be in with a shot with Thor being the biggest maybe as we don;t really have an idea how he compares to a kree toughness wise.
    Thor is actually the one that would crush her the hardest. he is much tougher than a Kree, tough enough to trade blows with Hulk. And Daisy is a glass cannon that has no defence against lightning.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Two blokes with swords that based on the fact they crashed their ship would likely stand up to anything less than a several thousand pound bomb at a minimum. It's just Hive and Daisy are that nasty. Remember Ronan was using a warhammer and mr Amnesia guy used a Staff too, it seems to be a cultural thing. Yet they still gave the Nova Corps a huge number of issues in a long and bloody war and Ronan was still able to cause 5 kinds of hell too. WHen your tough enough and strong enough that 90% of the weaponry that can be made man portable without extreme tech levels can't hurt you,. but your strong enough to sqwing a big nasty blade hard enough to hurt each other. Axes and the like make sense. They're likly the only thing a Kree of the Era they're from could pack that would actually be a danger to another Kree.

Honestly after the last few episodes my opinion of a lot of the Daisy vs Avengers matchups has completely swapped around. Vision and Hulk would be fine i think, they're just so tough and so hard hitting, and Wanda has mind control to just shut her down, but anyone else i think she'd be in with a shot with Thor being the biggest maybe as we don;t really have an idea how he compares to a kree toughness wise.
    That's a good point. Hive and Daisy are like, outliers in term of strength. They're just a bit more than our interns could handle.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ronan were not using a warhammer, he were using a hammershaped energy weapon that just happens to have a design allowing for knocking people in the head as well. Plenty of his minions were using energy weapons.
    It may or may not have been enhanced at the time but it's obvious from his fighting style throughout and the way he uses it before he adds the infinity stone that it's primarily a big hammer and that he relies heavily on his personal strength. His other troops use energy weapons, but this is way past the tech level those two had access to. More to the point given now they're the exception rather than the rule toughness wise i question if they were actual kree, (or if they were it suggests kree differ quite a bit, which AFIK is in line with the Kree caste system from the comics).

Thor is actually the one that would crush her the hardest. he is much tougher than a Kree, tough enough to trade blows with Hulk. And Daisy is a glass cannon that has no defence against lightning.
    We have no idea if he's tougher than the kree or not. Based on Sif vs Mr Amnesia there's not much difference between Asgardians and the tough variety of Kree. And it's not clear if Thor is actually a lot tougher than the average Asgardian or not. He certainly packs a brutal punch by comparison. And i agree he'd have no trouble killing Daisy if he got a shot, the question is whether Daisy's powerful enough to take him out first. And no, trading blows with Hulk tells us very little. Based on their surviving the crash these two could too. Ronan certainly could. And given the Warriors Three took blows from the Destroyer and survived they could too, which suggest Mr Amnesia guy is similar too.

That's a good point. Hive and Daisy are like, outliers in term of strength. They're just a bit more than our interns could handle.
    This, generating an Earthquake that rattled the base as much as it did, (or that Kree temple), requires way more power than a Nuclear weapon. Something enough to Level the base, well put it in the ocean and you could level coastlines with that trick from the tidal waves produced. Daisy isn't just capable of throwing around cool Iron Man like blasts, she's got capabilities on par with an entire arsenal of strategic nuclear weapons. Because thats what you need to generate major earth movement on the scale needed to tear the base apart. The degree to which she can focus it is unclear, but from mucking up that Kree she's still packing minimum of the high end conventional range there.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

It may or may not have been enhanced at the time but it's obvious from his fighting style throughout and the way he uses it before he adds the infinity stone that it's primarily a big hammer and that he relies heavily on his personal strength. His other troops use energy weapons, but this is way past the tech level those two had access to. More to the point given now they're the exception rather than the rule toughness wise i question if they were actual kree, (or if they were it suggests kree differ quite a bit, which AFIK is in line with the Kree caste system from the comics).
    We cant really know that, since he newer really fought anything giving him the least bit challenge. But we do know from the comics how its a multipurpose weapon with a serious amount of blasting power.

We have no idea if he's tougher than the kree or not. Based on Sif vs Mr Amnesia there's not much difference between Asgardians and the tough variety of Kree. And it's not clear if Thor is actually a lot tougher than the average Asgardian or not. He certainly packs a brutal punch by comparison. And i agree he'd have no trouble killing Daisy if he got a shot, the question is whether Daisy's powerful enough to take him out first. And no, trading blows with Hulk tells us very little. Based on their surviving the crash these two could too. Ronan certainly could. And given the Warriors Three took blows from the Destroyer and survived they could too, which suggest Mr Amnesia guy is similar too.
    I think your basing far to much on the idea that those two blue jokers actually survived a crash from orbit, and did not just employ some sort of selfdestruction drop pod. From what we saw of their fight they were not even close to being able to soak up blows from the Hulk.
    The rest of your reasoning is rather hard to follow as it loops back and forth, i am not certain about why or where MR Amnesia comes in, or Ronan who in my eyes seems to be to the Kree, what Thor is to the rest of the Asguardians.
    Sifs fight against a Kree is at least not very telling though, from the damage they inflicted during their fight then it does seem like Sif is not nearly as strong as Thor, and Mr Amnesia fough with advanced memory erasing weapons that does not show to much about individual levels of toughness.
    I dont doubt that Thor could soak up whatever Diasy can produce for more than long enough to generate several bolts of lightning though. Im basing that mainly on how little she managed to do against Lash.

This, generating an Earthquake that rattled the base as much as it did, (or that Kree temple), requires way more power than a Nuclear weapon. Something enough to Level the base, well put it in the ocean and you could level coastlines with that trick from the tidal waves produced. Daisy isn't just capable of throwing around cool Iron Man like blasts, she's got capabilities on par with an entire arsenal of strategic nuclear weapons. Because thats what you need to generate major earth movement on the scale needed to tear the base apart. The degree to which she can focus it is unclear, but from mucking up that Kree she's still packing minimum of the high end conventional range there.
    This does require a few assumptions though. Daisy is already ignoring a lot of laws regarding conversation of energy and so on, we dont know if her way of doing so uses a lot less energy.
    And as for her mucking up said Kree, then that still kinda requires him to actually have been more than a joke.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

We cant really know that, since he newer really fought anything giving him the least bit challenge. But we do know from the comics how its a multipurpose weapon with a serious amount of blasting power.
    Comics which are only being loosely interpreted at best.

This does require a few assumptions though. Daisy is already ignoring a lot of laws regarding conversation of energy and so on, we don't know if her way of doing so uses a lot less energy.
    And as for her mucking up said Kree, then that still kinda requires him to actually have been more than a joke.
    Nope no assumptions involved. The earthquake potential energy is in the form of the energy that would have to actually be present in the target medium. Weather daisy can generate that much energy is kind of irrelevant, if she can shake up the base/temple the way she did/is claimed she can do then she can cause the requisite energy levels to be present in a target medium.

I think your basing far to much on the idea that those two blue jokers actually survived a crash from orbit, and did not just employ some sort of selfdestruction drop pod. From what we saw of their fight they were not even close to being able to soak up blows from the Hulk.
    The rest of your reasoning is rather hard to follow as it loops back and forth, i am not certain about why or where MR Amnesia comes in, or Ronan who in my eyes seems to be to the Kree, what Thor is to the rest of the Asguardians.
    Sifs fight against a Kree is at least not very telling though, from the damage they inflicted during their fight then it does seem like Sif is not nearly as strong as Thor, and Mr Amnesia fough with advanced memory erasing weapons that does not show to much about individual levels of toughness.
    I dont doubt that Thor could soak up whatever Diasy can produce for more than long enough to generate several bolts of lightning though. I'm basing that mainly on how little she managed to do against Lash.
    And in think i've managed to confuse the hell out of you with my jumping around. My point was that with the various blue kree we've seen they've all evidenced the ability to take hits from things that we know hit fairly hard and/or have themselves evidenced the ability to take big hits, which implies a big hit potential of their own, (it's more or less a requirement for warfare that if you can take a big hit you can dish it out too otherwise your primary opponents till you hit space are going to be invulnerable to you).

Is it possibble the ship cushioned them from the impact? Sure if we assume they have better tech than they're supposed to. Without some sci-fi inertial dampeners though. No they had to take that the old fashioned way, and Inertial Dampeners are definitely beyond what they're supposed to have tech wise. But the crash is only one piece, we have zero reason to believe they're less tough than other blue kree we've seen, and based on the way they're played up every reason to believe their at least as tough.

As for Lash, he falls into the same issues as Thor, we've never seen either of them take an attack of clearly identifiable force on a level sufficient to bother them. It's entirely possible Lash is on par with the Hulk. It's also entirely possibble Daisy was pulling her punches as she seems to do all the time when Hive isn't pulling her strings. We don;t know.

But which is more likely. that these blue Kree talked up to the max are significantly less tough than the other blue kree we've seen. Or that someone we've been flat out told is waaay, waaay, waay, waay more powerful than we'd ever assumed possibble is actually really powerful and can use that power level to completely overpower them.
    Last edited by Carl; 2016-05-08 at 08:32 AM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

very much like the sayan, the kree seem to have learned English en route towards earth... either they periodically unfroze to take stock and update their database (which should have allerted them to say, landmines or rifles and to bring at least a bigger sword) or we can't really equate their technology differential with our own technological development. Thor too has several thousand years of technological advantage on earth but still goes galivanting around the galaxy with a big hammer. This means that all theories are off in terms of military power and equipment... that said however, we're told explicitly that the ...reavers? Are specifically designed/trained to hunt down hive and the likes of him. Which makes their efforts rather underwhelming.
    Consider this: the kree perform an experiment that goes so badly out of hand that they have to wage a war against it and only manage to ban it rather than exterminate it. As a failsafe they should leave something bigger than two interns...
    I'm hoping there's a third mook whose duty it is to observe just how quickly today's inhumans make mincemeat of Steve and Urkel.. and report it to the mothership who then will wipe out humanity and inhumanity (causing them to band together?)
    Last edited by dehro; 2016-05-08 at 09:29 AM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

or we can't really equate their technology differential with our own technological development.
    Or you know we can take hive at his word on the relative tech levels.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    Or you know we can take hive at his word on the relative tech levels.
    The way one time he says the thing is the only thing that can kill him and then it turns out it totally can't?
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The way one time he says the thing is the only thing that can kill him and then it turns out it totally can't?
    He says can, not will. They had the potential, but that doesn't mean they'd realise it. And thats assuming of course we've seen everything that going to happen.

The bigger point however is that there's no narrative reason for hive to so explicitly compare tech levels like that in story, it's clearly meant as a narrative comparison for the viewers benefit. I suspect the next few episodes may even address some of the points we've all raised.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    except that's not how her portrayal sold it to me.. when Mack foiled the harvesting, she looked really pissed off.. so either she was dragging it out out of malicious desire of hurting him, which didn't seem the case, or it really was a case of waiting for May, which makes no sense from her perspective.
    Watching it again, I think you're right, she was really pissed off and probably had already made the decision to kill him, although she spent a good amount of time just punching him in the face when he wasn't resisting. If she really wanted him to die as quickly as possible, she could have easily killed him like she did the Kree. It seems like she was working out her frustration with her fists before she actually decided to finish him.

P.S.: I went back and watched the bit from Season 2 when the first Kree showed up on the show. He said that terrigenesis was an experiment by a faction of the Kree, which was stopped by another faction. If the Kree Empire found out that the Inhumans were a success, he feared that the Empire would try the experiments again.
    Last edited by Joran; 2016-05-08 at 11:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

I keep seeing people in this thread annoyed that the Kree "somehow" spoke English, like it's the show's fault. Because as we all know, Kree who've never even heard of Earth totally haven't already been portrayed speaking English. As for their power-levels, I kind of agree with the Steve and Jeff, Kree interns theory, those guys didn't even stand the remotest of chances, they maybe killed some of Hive's dumbest henchmen before finally being taken out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by Bowerbird View Post
    I keep seeing people in this thread annoyed that the Kree "somehow" spoke English, like it's the show's fault. Because as we all know, Kree who've never even heard of Earth totally haven't already been portrayed speaking English. As for their power-levels, I kind of agree with the Steve and Jeff, Kree interns theory, those guys didn't even stand the remotest of chances, they maybe killed some of Hive's dumbest henchmen before finally being taken out.
    You know it occurs to me Guardians of the Galaxy made it clear that auto translating babel fish exist so maybe that's why.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 18
    Show

Why is it that nobody in SHIELD seems to understand the Hydra slogan?

Agent Carter: We'll have to keep cutting them off then.
    Talbot: The head has been cut.

Uhh...you're kind of missing the point, folks.

More jurisdiction ignoring in this as well. And it was so relevant just a few episodes ago.

Bret Dalton's range is really impressive, he has to switch personalities from scene to scene.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Well, once you cut off enough heads, the Hydra passes out from blood loss.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0326.html

There's also a Groo the Wanderer comic where Groo cuts off so many heads that the Hydra just collapses under the added weight.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-05-09 at 04:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #465

The problem with the "cut off the hydra's head" slogan is that it assumes your enemies will never use acid. The idea is that this was the acid.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-05-09 at 02:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Both methods involve far more work and danger than just finding a non-head related mode of attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Which they actually tried to do here, by destroying the Hydra's 'body' but it was not reflected in the relevant quip.

17. - Top - End - #467

I had a thought related to the interns. Did we ever find out where the Kree from the Guest House came from? Maybe he's Jerry the IT guy.

18. - Top - End - #468

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I had a thought related to the interns. Did we ever find out where the Kree from the Guest House came from? Maybe he's Jerry the IT guy.
    Jerry, Steve and Jeff are the best Kree interns in the empire. If only they could get a better job.

19. - Top - End - #469

New episode!
    Spoiler
    Show

Nice trickery by Lincoln this episode! I think he actually came off very well here.

We finally see what Hive's intended Inhumans are and they're quite creepy. We also see that Lincoln was at least somewhat right in realizing Lash's purpose. Sadly, an explosive chainwhip does the poor guy in. At least Hive is wounded. If it bleeds, we can kill it.

Lastly, it seems that cross necklace is gonna get passed around. Trickery!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Much better episode than last week--more plot, more twist, more funny.

Also, elevator booth. Hilarious and cool at once.

Spoiler: Best Lines
    Show
    Daisy: "I said MacGuyver, not Firestarter."

Mac: "I'm starting to think I'm not the Inhuman Whisperer."

--Actually there were a lot of great one-liners tonight, more than I can easily recall.

Spoiler: He Said, She Said
    Show
    I enjoyed the lie and counterlie between Lincoln and Daisy, each of them playing the other for their competing agendas. Call me naive, but I completely expected Lincoln to be on that quinjet. (Probably because they showed him in the cockpit during preflight.) The switcheroo was pretty strongly telegraphed in retrospect, but I still enjoyed being surprised.

I was prepared to hate Lincoln just as thoroughly as ever tonight, and he was still a whiny twit for the most part, but at least he wasn't so besotted with Daisy that he ignored everything he knew about Hive. Lincoln may be a twit, but at least he's pulling for S.H.I.E.L.D.

Spoiler: Subtle Chemistry
    Show
    I loved that bit of chemistry between Fitz and Simmons, when Fitz hinted at what they could be doing for the next hour. It was moderately subtle, not blatant, and felt like the sort of teasing a real couple would do.

In other words, 100% not like Daisy and Lincoln, although hopefully that particular pairing is kaput for now.

Spoiler: Cage Fight!!
    Show
    I love the concept of Hive vs. Lash, but apart from Hive's belated realization that he was in over his head, the fight itself was a bit of a letdown. I'm not sure why Lash pushed Hive over the edge, instead of leading with the Blue Ray of Chest-Drilling Dooooooom like he usually does. Hive scuttling away from Lash while the minions were piling on seemed so…flat. Maybe I just wanted more burned holes in Hive.

And it was far too much of a cliched, anticlimactic Hollywood moment when Fire Oz speared Lash with the scorching chain. Seriously? Daisy and Lincoln at full power never so much as scratched his skin, but one shot from Fire Oz and Lash goes down? Talk about rolling a 20 to confirm your crit.

And for that matter, given that Daisy's blood just became pivotal to Hive's plans for global transmogrification, why did Fire Oz let her leave? He had plenty of time to take apart the quinjet while Daisy was settling into the pilot's seat and saying dramatic, mournful stuff into the headset. A couple good swings with the scorching chain and the quinjet would've been crippled, Daisy would've been drained for good, and Fire Oz would be enjoying some well-earned Miller Time. Not really sure why that didn't happen.

Spoiler: Mac & Elena
    Show
    I noticed he wasn't saying "Yo-Yo" this time around, perhaps because they were still on rocky terms at the start. Or maybe Mac was just too beaten down to make any jokes at all.

But I did like their scenes together; another nuanced relationship between intelligent adults, rather than lovestruck and slightly dimwitted puppies. Unlike the Lincoln/Daisy thing, which has felt like hideously bad fanfic from the beginning, Mac and Elena are a couple I find myself rooting for.

Spoiler: Sokovia This, Sokovia That
    Show
    I still haven't seen Civil War, so I more or less appreciated that they more or less didn't give us any spoilers, except possibly for Agent Carter's death. Much better than the last Cap movie, in which failing to see it on the opening weekend resulted in spoilers abounding in the next AoS episode.

Spoiler: Do You Wanna Build Inhumans?
    Show
    I still don't quite grok this whole business about individual Inhumans being designed for specific purposes. Sure, I could buy that five thousand years ago or whatever, the Kree did some precision gengineering to customize powers in certain individuals…but even if they did, those ancestral Inhumans have long since bred with the broader baseline population, spreading their genes and diffusing their Inhumanity throughout the human species.

If long-dormant genes can be reactivated by Terrigen mist and funky powers result, that's fine; but I have a hard time buying that specific gene complexes would somehow reassemble in specific individuals to create specific powers designed for specific purposes, after five thousand years. Crazy blue aliens I can live with, but boutique superpowers suddenly emerging after millennia to automatically carry out some grand master plan smacks of the supremely ridiculous. It simply makes no sense.

Spoiler: M̶u̶t̶a̶n̶t̶ Inhuman Registration
    Show
    Not having seen Civil War, I don't have the full context for the Inhuman registration…but it sure felt like the late 80s and early 90s with the Mutant Registration Act all over again. At this point I'm just wondering when Senator Kelly shows up.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Obvious plug for the movie, but it was nice to get more blunt opposing views of the Sokovia Accords between Captain America Coulson and Iron Man Talbot. Because of the series' bias and Talbot being a pain in the tuchus since forever we're supposed to side with Coulson. However, despite Talbot's gruffness and the Lincoln fakeout, he wasn't wrong and got to say his piece. The Lincoln fakeout, nicely done and excellent fooling the audience in its own right, tilts the overall opinion of this show to Team Captain America where as I think the movie did a fine job keeping it balanced between the two sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

So those were

Spoiler: Spoilers
    Show
    Alpha Primitives. Pretty well done.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

This was a legitimately smart episode, in terms of its conception and execution.

Spoiler
    Show

Overall, they got the ideas out there from the movie - this was a Big Event worthy of news and this is how the characters on AoS and their world are reacting to it - but it wasn't trying to reverse-engineer a reason for why - in the middle of a fight with Inhuman Lucifer - they're going to stop the plot and throw something tangentially related to the film's narrative into their show.

Talbot was given motive to dig into SHIELD because of Civil War - the Accords specifically, "and if you want to know more buy a ticket" the show was saying - and it was both organic and gave us some pretty good dialogue that the Real SHIELD subplot from last season was kind of confused on and didn't really form into much before it was killed off. They could have easily done this without the Accords as a thing, but using it made it more palatable.

Anyways, it was Talbot reasoning for inspecting the SHIELD facility and meeting the Inhumans. This served as a justification from the viewers perspective of Coulson & Co's deliberate inaction, which was necessary for the plan with Lincoln to work on the audience - and also gave anyone jumping into this episode in response to Civil War a big rundown of the show's season-long plot and characters, however late it seems to be doing it - as Talbot's big personality threw shade over everything that it didn't feel like they were twiddling their thumbs until the plot happened by giving a tour of a facility we see every week.

For anyone else who was just jumping in, we also see (and receive exposition about) Hive and his plans. I like the reference to the Alpha Primitives in itself, but also how they're used to clarifies his villainous status and maligned intent. Thus far he's only been kind of a villain, but he's ultimately done more damage to Hydra than the broader world, and there is an element of (darkly twisted) utopia in an Inhuman-ified world perpetually at peace under his brainwashing. With these Primitives however, it's clear he's content to just dominate rather than uplift anyone, his big evil plan lost the semblance of nobility to it.

Mostly, it was just not... well, people here complain about the Kree last week - but the real issue to me was time - and the fact that they only had a few minutes to actually deal with the Kree that setting up something more elaborate was both going to strain their budget and the length of their episode. For what was ultimately some backstory on Hive and to clarify Daisy's complete betrayal with Mack's beating, the Kree were of far more secondary concern. They had similar issues with the Bobby/Hunter episode where the interesting Inhuman General guy was dealt with quickly and kind of trivially because of the limited time they left with what they really wanted to achieve in that episode, and the "Secret Warriors United" episode suffered a similar fate because the action-heavy superhero romp at the beginning was both too expensive to build up more and ultimately was just a preamble to a paranoia-driven suspense piece and Daisy's dramatic turn in the conclusion.

Point being, they have good ideas but they aren't giving them time and money to make them work cohesively within their season arc. I'm not saying there's a clear way to write to address the above, and budget is always an issue - it's just a genuinely hard part of their craft which they have shown to be better at before. I like what I'm watching as I'm watching it but the same compelling feeling from last season is muddled here.

This episode however was left to breathe more, allowing them to build something somewhat subtle with a mostly satisfactory payoff. I have optimistic expectations for the conclusion next week.

I will say, Talbot is gold, I've liked every episode he's been in as a major character.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2016-05-10 at 11:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

There's a certain amount of irony in the Watchdogs being turned into ...

Spoiler
    Show
    ... Alpha Primitives.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-05-10 at 11:59 PM.

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obvious plug for the movie, but it was nice to get more blunt opposing views of the Sokovia Accords between Captain America Coulson and Iron Man Talbot. Because of the series' bias and Talbot being a pain in the tuchus since forever we're supposed to side with Coulson. However, despite Talbot's gruffness and the Lincoln fakeout, he wasn't wrong and got to say his piece. The Lincoln fakeout, nicely done and excellent fooling the audience in its own right, tilts the overall opinion of this show to Team Captain America where as I think the movie did a fine job keeping it balanced between the two sides.
    Spoiler
    Show

It also makes perfect sense for Coulson to want to stay out of the Accords. He's a spy agency focusing on secrecy, especially given what happened with Hydra. He has not one single desire to be part of this, so it makes a good deal of sense.

And yet they still presented the other side as being reasonable. So good.

I forgot to quote this but someone had a question about Lincoln's theory that the powers are designed for something. Here is my explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lincoln's a fartbutt. He's basically just throwing his own personal religious and personal beliefs onto the powers they have, and it happens to be accurate because well lets face it the guy made out of a swarm of internal parasites is gonna have a bad time against a dude who's power is to rip holes through your entire body with some sort of super plasma.

Basically Lincoln believes in fate, and he believes they've all been granted powers for a reason.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

It also makes perfect sense for Coulson to want to stay out of the Accords. He's a spy agency focusing on secrecy, especially given what happened with Hydra. He has not one single desire to be part of this, so it makes a good deal of sense.

And yet they still presented the other side as being reasonable. So good.

I forgot to quote this but someone had a question about Lincoln's theory that the powers are designed for something. Here is my explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lincoln's a fartbutt. He's basically just throwing his own personal religious and personal beliefs onto the powers they have, and it happens to be accurate because well lets face it the guy made out of a swarm of internal parasites is gonna have a bad time against a dude who's power is to rip holes through your entire body with some sort of super plasma.

Basically Lincoln believes in fate, and he believes they've all been granted powers for a reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I dunno that's three inhumans with the grand destiny of saving Daisy seems like the writers are pushing the whole predetermination thing pretty heavily.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler: Subtle Chemistry
    Show
    I loved that bit of chemistry between Fitz and Simmons, when Fitz hinted at what they could be doing for the next hour.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He did say "or a minute" though... 0_0

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    lets face it the guy made out of a swarm of internal parasites is gonna have a bad time against a dude who's power is to rip holes through your entire body with some sort of super plasma.
    Spoiler
    Show
    But considering what he did to Daisy, there is obviously more to Lash's powers than just ripping holes in people's bodies with super plasma.

That said, I agree that the whole fate aspect of inhuman powers is dumb and I hope you're right that Lincoln is actually wrong about it.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    I will say, Talbot is gold, I've liked every episode he's been in as a major character.
    Agreed.

As to my observations, which are kind of brief due to work-induced time constraints:

Spoiler
    Show
    -- Yo-Yo gave Mack the cross. Does this mean that Mack is going to die high up in the stratosphere, disarming the warhead Hive stole? We've got someone foreshadowed as dying wearing the cross, high above the Earth. We've got a ballistic missile full of Hive gunk to stop. And we've got Mack in possession of the cross. Sounds like he's checking out.

-- Well, that experiment could have gone better. I kind of agree with the doc on that one.

-- Very good episode.

-- One weak point, IMO, how exactly does one use the far end of a chain as a piercing weapon?

-- Liked the Lincoln subplot. Find Lincoln slightly less intolerable.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

I like Talbot and his moustache. They should have more of both.
    Bummed that Agent Carter seems to have died but that's to be expected at her age.

But this show is still going downhill.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They did the twist really good, earning Prettyboy a lot of brownie points, which was shortly ruined by the lame fighting scene, sacrificing Lash to save Daisy and Prettyboy's dumb spiel about inhuman destiny. Which reminds me of the old Skye is sue claims, except now it's truer than ever.

They better not kill off Mack in the finale. It was dumb when they did it with Trip, it'd be triple dumb to repeat that crap now. Hopefully they're messing with us.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

30. - Top - End - #480

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    He did say "or a minute" though... 0_0

Spoiler
    Show
    But considering what he did to Daisy, there is obviously more to Lash's powers than just ripping holes in people's bodies with super plasma.

That said, I agree that the whole fate aspect of inhuman powers is dumb and I hope you're right that Lincoln is actually wrong about it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    True, but I imagine that's because of how his powers actually work. They're some kind of nasty plasma particle shooting that can pierce flesh and bone, but as long as he's in control he can decide what it takes. So he uses his power to blerp into Daisy's head and only remove the parasites. I'm actually fairly sure that despite his bestial, hunter nature, now that he's fully become Lash he's actually got a sense of clarity to him now, at least enough to focus during battle. It's one of the reasons I'm kinda bummed out they killed him.

I am absolutely right about Lincoln just being a dumb about fate because he's basically just doing the classic "read future events into the past" style of fortune telling/prediction. It'd be like saying Nostradamus told the future by analyzing his work with the bias of a modern mind. Lincoln see's a problem, is aware of what Lash can do, and retroactively decides that he must be made to remove this problem.