New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    A70 "You cannot replace bonus action attacks (e.g. from the Monk or a Barbarian's Frenzy) with grapples" isn't something that comes word for word from the rules. What the rules do say is "you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple." and this does has the effect of preventing grappling as part of a bonus action that includes an attack without being the Attack action (and also preventing grappling during a reaction like an Opportunity Attack). There's similar language in the Shoving a Creature rules ("Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you.") so you wouldn't be able to shove with your Frenzy bonus attack.

Both Grappling and Shoving a Creature say you can use these special melee attacks in place of a single attack if you have multiple attacks with the Attack action so once you get the Extra Attack feature you could grapple and shove as your Attack action and then make an attack with your bonus action using Frenzy.
    Got it.

Thank you.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q71: Does the champion's improved critical mean that an attack automatically hits on a 19 or 20 in addition to the bonus damage?

I'm used to 3.5 where I'm pretty sure the weapon properties that could increase crit-range didn't grant the auto-hit but I can't find a place that clarifies it in the PHB. I assume it does grant the auto-hit but I want to be sure.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Puh Laden View Post
    Q71: Does the champion's improved critical mean that an attack automatically hits on a 19 or 20 in addition to the bonus damage?

I'm used to 3.5 where I'm pretty sure the weapon properties that could increase crit-range didn't grant the auto-hit but I can't find a place that clarifies it in the PHB. I assume it does grant the auto-hit but I want to be sure.
    Crawford came out and said it does auto hit. I believe the reason is that the ability says you "score" a critical hit and score appears to be used in terms of saying it is a hit.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q72: A character may use Alchemist's Fire 'as an action' but throwing it requires the user to 'make a ranged attack'. It is not listed as a weapon with the thrown property, but says it should be treated 'as an improvised weapon' for purposes of the ranged attack.

May a character throw multiple flasks on a turn by using the Attack action with the Extra Attack class feature or a Bonus action through Two-Weapon Fighting? Alternatively, may a Thief throw a flask as a Bonus action by 'Using An Object' with the Fast Hands class feature?

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GGambrel View Post
    Q72: A character may use Alchemist's Fire 'as an action' but throwing it requires the user to 'make a ranged attack'. It is not listed as a weapon with the thrown property, but says it should be treated 'as an improvised weapon' for purposes of the ranged attack.

May a character throw multiple flasks on a turn by using the Attack action with the Extra Attack class feature or a Bonus action through Two-Weapon Fighting? Alternatively, may a Thief throw a flask as a Bonus action by 'Using An Object' with the Fast Hands class feature?
    A72: As I understand it: interaction with items, such as vials of acid and alchemist fire, use the 'use an object' action (even though attacking with such items are often resolved as if they were Attacks).

So no on extra attack, but yes on fast hands.

6. - Top - End - #156

SwashbucklerGuy

It's all there in your quote.

You make a ranged attack, it is treated as an improvised weapon, and it requires your action.

Just like every other improvised weapon attack, you take the Attack action to execute the attack. If you have Extra Attack then one or more of your attacks may be with an improvised weapon, and alchemist's fire is no exception to the normal improvised weapon rules.

Unless the rogue's Fast Hand feature lets you make an attack, that ability cannot be used to make an attack with an improvised weapon.

Two-weapon fighting requires actual weapons, so TWF is incompatible with objects that are not weapons, and the definition of 'improvised weapon' is 'a non-weapon object'. If it was a weapon then it wouldn't need to be improvised.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    Just like every other improvised weapon attack, you take the Attack action to execute the attack. If you have Extra Attack then one or more of your attacks may be with an improvised weapon.
    This is false.

A72: An attack does not always use the Attack action. Since Alchemist's Fire says you must use your action to use it, that's the action you make: the "Use an Object (Alchemist's Fire) action" if you will. As part of that action you make a single ranged weapon attack treating the vile as an improvised weapon, similar to how an Opportunity Attack uses a single attack but not the Attack action.

Now as for whether or not the vial that contains the alchemist's fire could be used as an improvised weapon as part of the Attack action using the improvised weapon rules, and what its properties would be: yes it can be used as an improvised weapon in the Attack action but what its properties are is up to the DM. A DM could fairly rule that the vial is solid enough that it only does bludgeoning damage similar to a light hammer when used in the Attack action. (Therefore implying using the regular alchemist's fire action would require taking time to throw it just right.) A DM could also fairly rule it works the same either way.
    Last edited by Puh Laden; 2017-02-16 at 11:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground

A 72 (cont) I think there's enough ambiguity here that this deserves its own thread so as not to derail the RAW thread. I'll link it here.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

9. - Top - End - #159
    Pixie in the Playground

Q73
    Can the spell Telekinesis be twinned by a Sorcerer's Twinned Spell Metamagic?
    If so, are there any special limitations on retargetting?

For reference:
    Telekinesis p280 PHB
    Twinned Spell p102 PHB

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by yPants View Post
    Q73
    Can the spell Telekinesis be twinned by a Sorcerer's Twinned Spell Metamagic?
    If so, are there any special limitations on retargetting?

For reference:
    Telekinesis p280 PHB
    Twinned Spell p102 PHB
    A73: By RAW it is legal.

Switching targets however becomes a stickier issue that your DM may have to adjudicate.

11. - Top - End - #161

Q74: If you shove a friendly creature, could it willingly fail the contest and accept the 5ft movement?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    Q74: If you shove a friendly creature, could it willingly fail the contest and accept the 5ft movement?
    A74: By RAW, there are no rules allowing you to automatically fail contests, saving throws, skill checks, etc. As a DM, I certainly wouldn't allow someone to exploit the system with such a method, either.
    "You'd only need to kill something like 147,311,996 pigeons to achieve FTL travel."
    uraniumrooster

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q75: Antitoxin can be consumed as part of 'interacting with objects around you' (similar to drinking 'all the ale in a flagon') in addition to taking a Move and an Action, since its description does not state it requires an action to do so, right?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q75: Antitoxin can be consumed as part of 'interacting with objects around you' (similar to drinking 'all the ale in a flagon') in addition to taking a Move and an Action, since its description does not state it requires an action to do so, right?
    A75: Seems logical to assume that this is the case, barring any actual rules that say otherwise.
    "You'd only need to kill something like 147,311,996 pigeons to achieve FTL travel."
    uraniumrooster

15. - Top - End - #165

A75: No RAW answer. A DM could treat it like 'ale in a flagon' or like 'quaff a potion'....... or something else....

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 76

If a Monk uses his Deflect Missiles ability to catch and throw back a munition like an arrow, what is the damage of the said munition thrown? I understand the Monk can use is Martial Arts damage anyway, but that may be an interesting point at low level. Do we simply use a 1d4 damage like for an improvised weapon?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protčgent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

A76: I think the RAW suggest thrown ammunition does 1d4 damage for non-monks. This seems too good to me since recognized weapons like daggers with the thrown property may only do that much. I guess that is where the proficiency bonus is meant to make a difference, and possibly the character's ability modifier...

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Q77: Does an improvised weapon, which isn't ruled by the DM as treated like some other weapon, apply the character's ability modifier to damage rolls? What about an "object that bears no resemblance to a weapon" (PHB pg. 148) that deals 1d4 damage?

Chapter 7: Using Ability Scores says that your Strength/Dexterity modifier is added to attack & damage rolls when attacking with a melee/ranged-or-finesse weapon.
    Last edited by GGambrel; 2017-02-19 at 09:26 AM. Reason: adding commas

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q78: If a monster's Stealth check equals the Passive Wisdom (Perception) of a PC when attempting to calculate Surprise at the beginning of a combat, what occurs?
    Last edited by TrinculoLives; 2017-02-20 at 04:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

A 78 When two opposed checks tie, the situation remains unchanged. Interpret that as you will, but it seems to me that they were unaware of each other before the encounter so the stealthed goblin would remain undetected.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-02-20 at 05:30 PM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 79: Can you take Spell Sniper feat if only spell you know is a cantrip from a racial trait? E.g. High Elf with Booming Blade?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-02-21 at 05:07 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

A 79 The pre-requisite says "the ability to cast at least one spell", so that would suggest that you can take the feat.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 80: Shou human are yellowish-bronze in hue on PHB. Shou is like a chinese, right? So Japan is like what? I realy don't know what I can put on my character sheet. What is D&D Wa ethnic?
    Last edited by Ryuu Hayato; 2017-02-22 at 12:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuu Hayato View Post
    Q 80: Shou human are yellowish-bronze in hue on PHB. Shou is like a chinese, right? So Japan is like what? I realy don't know what I can put on my character sheet. What is D&D Wa ethnic?
    This is less of a RAW question, and more of a lore question. In short, the ethnicity of your human has no effect on stats whatsoever. If someone else would still like to answer this though, go for it.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q81: On page 182 of the PHB in the section on "Noticing Threats" under "Activity While Traveling," there is the suggestion that "the DM might decide that only those characters in the back rank have a chance to hear or spot a stealthy creature following the group." Would this mean that if a hostile creature snuck up on a traveling group that party members not in the back rank are automatically surprised if combat begins or is the passive check to "Notice Threats" not the same check used to determine surprise?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q 82 An arcana cleric takes greenflame blade as part of his 1st level feature, at 8th level (the level they get potent spellcasting) does it deal 1d8+WIS on the initial hit and 1d8+2(WIS) to the secondary target or only 1d8+WIS to the secondary?
    Last edited by Eldritch Memes; 2017-02-23 at 01:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Puh Laden View Post
    Q81: On page 182 of the PHB in the section on "Noticing Threats" under "Activity While Traveling," there is the suggestion that "the DM might decide that only those characters in the back rank have a chance to hear or spot a stealthy creature following the group." Would this mean that if a hostile creature snuck up on a traveling group that party members not in the back rank are automatically surprised if combat begins or is the passive check to "Notice Threats" not the same check used to determine surprise?
    A81: Since "the DM might decide..." it seems within the purview of the DM to also decide whether the front rank is automatically surprised or not. The scenario described might allow the stealthy creature to maintain line of sight to the back rank, but not the front rank, such that the front rank would never be able to see the creature.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 83 If a creature uses a magic item that grants wishes, such as a luckblade, do they still risk the 33% chance that they cannot use wish ever again? Will that interfere with other uses of that item, or any other effect that allows a wish?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

29. - Top - End - #179

A77:You only add the Modifier if you are proficient with the weapon, so unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat, you don't add the Modifier

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    A77:You only add the Modifier if you are proficient with the weapon, so unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat, you don't add the Modifier
    R77 Can you give a citation on that, please?

The section of the PHB/SRD dealing with damage rolls just says "When attacking with a weapon, you add your ability modifier - the same modifier used for the attack roll - to the damage." with no mention of requiring proficiency to make that happen and the section on Weapon Proficiency says that "Proficiency with a weapon allows you to add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll for any attack you make with that weapon. If you make an attack roll using a weapon with which you lack proficiency, you do not add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll." Neither mention proficiency affecting the damage roll.

Unless I see a citation that said otherwise, I would rule that you add your strength modifier to the damage roll for an improvised weapon because it fits the damage roll rule I quoted. (It also passes the logic test: it's hard to imagine that getting hit with a chair by a 300 lb. mountain of muscle wouldn't deal more damage than being hit with the same chair by a frail old man who can barely lift it.)
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-02-23 at 04:28 PM.