New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Q97 Does the Abjurer's Arcane Ward recharge with abjuration only when it's at zero or at any time it has already taken damage?
    A97: At any time, it just doesn't go away when it hits zero.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

A 97 As long as it's not fully charged, the stated conditions will recharge it. This has been verified as intended by Crawford.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 96 That raises my next question. What is the mechanical definition of "hostile".

By the plain language meaning, it seems clear my party member is not hostile to me, but it feels like this opens up an exploit for me to choose not to be hostile and thus not provoke AoO myself. For instance, does a pacifist not provoke AoOs?
    Not sure if this qualifies as a RAW answer, but here's my interpretation:
    From plain gamistic point of view, that which side you fight for determines your hostility towards the other. So, even if you chose not to be hostile towards an enemy, unless you made something to convince the enemy of your non-hostile intentions, that enemy might still consider you hostile and you would provoke an opportunity attack as normal.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-02-28 at 02:05 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q98 - does a barbarian's rage end if only grappling & shoving?

As above. I'm a little confused on this.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked Unconscious or if Your Turn ends and you haven't attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on Your Turn as a Bonus Action.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice
    http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/06/08/shove-grapple-attacks/
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Crawford
    The grapple option in the Player's Handbook is an attack, but it uses an ability check in place of an attack roll.
    ... They are unusual attacks that lack attack rolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice
    http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/05/08/barbarian-rage-2/
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Huckaby
    Does a barbarian keep his rage if he uses his action to grapple if grappling is not an attack?
    The grapple option in the Player's Handbook is an attack, but it uses an ability check in place of an attack roll.
    Everything points to grapple and shove keeping a rage alive by themselves, but even when explicitly asked, a yes/no answer was not given.
    Last edited by Escribblings; 2017-02-28 at 05:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q98 - does a barbarian's rage end if only grappling & shoving?

As above. I'm a little confused on this.

Everything points to grapple and shove keeping a rage alive by themselves, but even when explicitly asked, a yes/no answer was not given.
    A 98. No. To clarify this answer to the question, I should think the following is self-evident (even without a need to ask Crawford and/or Mearls). The Rage ability doesn't specify that the act of attacking had to include an attack roll, it only speaks of attacking, which both Grappling and Shoving qualify for.

Quote Originally Posted by PHB pg. 195
    GRAPPLING
    When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple.

SHOVING A CREATURE
    Using the Attack action, you can make a special melee attack to shove a creature -- .
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-02-28 at 05:51 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q99 if I double a creatures hit dice (this creature is a humanoid, a Dragonclaw (3d8 +3), does that increase in hit dice (I guess 6d8 +6) raise their proficiency bonus?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q99 if I double a creatures hit dice (this creature is a humanoid, a Dragonclaw (3d8 +3), does that increase in hit dice (I guess 6d8 +6) raise their proficiency bonus?
    Maybe. It depends on what the CR of the resulting creature is set to be. Prof bonus on monsters are based on CR not hit dice (though HP from the hit dice are part of the CR calculation hence why it is a maybe).
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 100 If I were to roll an additional damage die for a weapon that did 2d6 damage, would I roll 3d6 or 4d6?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 100 If I were to roll an additional damage die for a weapon that did 2d6 damage, would I roll 3d6 or 4d6?
    A 100 An additional die is one additional die. You'll roll 3d6.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q101 Can you call for a general "(Strength, Dexterity, Constitution...) check" rather than skill tied to that attribute?
    Thanks to the amazing forums here on GITP I, as a new player to tabletop games in general, am slowly expanding my knowledge on how to be a better player and DM by reading various questions and answers. If you're reading this, thank you for taking place in this wonderful community.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

A101

Not only is that RAW allowed, it's the default. All 'skill' checks are Ability Score Checks that proficiency with various skills or tools may apply to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #222
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q102

A character with extra attacks (lets say a 12th level Paladin), takes the Magic Initiate feat, chooses sorcerer, and selects some juicy SCAG melee cantrips. Can they actually use them effectively or do they end up trading the two melee attacks for the cantrip incorporating that one attack?

I would assume no, because Extra Attack says you can attack twice (or more depending on class) instead of once whenever you take the Attack action on your turn, and unless its quickened the cantrip is also an action, not a bonus.
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

13. - Top - End - #223

A102

You are correct. Extra Attack only works with the Attack action, not with anything else that grants an attack like a SCAG attack cantrip. This is an intentional design decision to prevent those cantrips from being must-have damage boosts for martial characters.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    This is incorrect.
    This is unhelpful.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ClearlyTough69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    A77:You only add the Modifier if you are proficient with the weapon, so unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat, you don't add the Modifier
    This is incorrect.
    This is unhelpful.
    Let's see if I can be more helpful.

A77 (correction): You add your ability modifier to all weapon attack rolls and weapon damage rolls. Being proficient lets you add your proficiency bonus on the attack roll. Without proficiency you still add an appropriate ability modifier - even with an improvised weapon.

(Sorry if this has been answered/corrected already, I tried to look out for it, but didn't notice).
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

16. - Top - End - #226

Q103 - If I get a Dex-save Hold Monster on a creature, have an infinite number of level 9 Lore Wizards, and cast a new dex-based Hold Monster every 9th round, is there anything the creature can do to get out of the paralysis?
    Last edited by Dromuthra; 2017-03-03 at 01:05 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q104: Can you cast a Cantrip while maintaining a Concentration spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Q104: Can you cast a Cantrip while maintaining a Concentration spell?
    A104: yes, you can. As per RAW, you can cast a cantrip even on the same turn you've cast a spell of 1st level or higher. (Provided you have the means to do so).

In fact, if you cast the concentration spell on the previous round, your casting of any non-concentration spell (cantrips are spells too) on the following turns doesn't break your concentration.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-03 at 02:02 AM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q105 can you unarmed strike as a bonus attack during a frenzy?

Frenzy

Starting when you choose this path at 3rd level, you can go into a frenzy when you rage. If you do so, for the Duration of your rage you can make a single melee weapon Attack as a Bonus Action on each of your turns after this one. When your rage ends, you suffer one level of Exhaustion (as described in Conditions ).
    I'm assuming not, but I thought it best to ask.

Especially because this adds to my confusion

https://merricb.com/2015/06/11/dd-pl...narmed-strike/

Jeremy Crawford has additionally tweeted the following: “Addressing a nuance in the PH errata: the rule lets melee weapon attacks use unarmed strikes, despite those strikes not being weapons.”
    Last edited by Escribblings; 2017-03-03 at 05:05 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230

Q105 can you unarmed strike as a bonus attack during a frenzy?

I'm assuming not, but I thought it best to ask.

Especially because this adds to my confusion

https://merricb.com/2015/06/11/dd-pl...narmed-strike/
    A105 Like the quote you included says, unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks which means they qualify for the bonus action attack with Frenzy.

There's a lot of confusion about the term "weapon attack" as it's used in D&D5e. Basically, as far as I can tell, it's used to mean a physical attack as opposed to a "spell attack" (which used to mean a magical attack, with or without a spell) because of certain effects (like Frenzy for weapon attacks or Wand of the War Mage for spell attacks) that care about one or the other. Looking at other books, "weapon attack" is used to identify physical attacks with or without a weapon (the Monster Manual labels both an assassin's shortsword and a dragon's claw attack as "Melee Weapon Attacks", for example) which doesn't exactly help with clarity but at least reinforces that "weapon attacks" don't have to involve manufactured weapons.
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-03-03 at 11:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    A105

There's a lot of confusion about the term "weapon attack" as it's used in D&D5e. Basically, as far as I can tell, it's used to mean a physical attack as opposed to a "spell attack" ...
    I'm presuming it also excludes "special" attacks such as grapple and shove. That does make some sense, restricting the bonus to blindly hitting things, LOL.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm presuming it also excludes "special" attacks such as grapple and shove. That does make some sense, restricting the bonus to blindly hitting things, LOL.
    In general, a bonus action tells you exactly what you can do with it. There's no "generic" bonus action which would let you make an Attack action (which in turn would let you Grapple or Shove). Only if a special ability tells you can "use bonus action to grapple or shove" then you can. (Tavern Brawler and Shield Master come to mind, and both have a condition).
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Q106

If I have proficiency with a tool and a skill and I am doing something involving both of them
    (ex: performance using a musical instrument), I only apply my proficiency bonus once?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeGninjas View Post
    Q106

If I have proficiency with a tool and a skill and I am doing something involving both of them
    (ex: performance using a musical instrument), I only apply my proficiency bonus once?
    A 106
    Mostly. In this situation it would just be a Perform check. If you didn't have proficiency in that certain musical instrument then you would most certainly take a penalty to the roll or just not be able to do it. In the PHB it says explicitly that "your proficiency bonus cannot be added to a single die roll or other number more than once" - PHB pg173

Some exceptions to this would be if your character had expertise in using a certain tool or in a skill check. Because Expertise allows you to apply your proficiency bonus twice, in this situation if you had expertise in the Perform skill, then you would add your proficiency bonus twice instead of once.
    Last edited by The Ship's dog; 2017-03-05 at 01:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q 108 (out of order because I forgot to read the rules of the thread)

What is the purpose of the hand crossbow's designation as "light"? As per page 195 in the phb, two-weapon fighting only applies with melee weapons.
    Last edited by Potato_Priest; 2017-03-06 at 01:44 AM.
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

A 106

Quote Originally Posted by The Ship's dog View Post
    If you didn't have proficiency in that certain musical instrument then you would most certainly take a penalty to the roll or just not be able to do it.
    Correction: Per RAW, there's no penalty for attempting something you're not proficient in other than just not getting your proficiency bonus. You can, for instance, use thieves tools and you just won't get your prof bonus. If you have proficiency in performance, and the DM decrees playing an instrument to be a performance, then you can play any instrument adding your prof bonus and whichever stat bonus your DM considers most appropriate, usually but not necessarily charisma. (PHB p.174 under Skills)
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    *snip*
    Ah, thank you.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 107

Can a PC or creature with sunlight sensitivity use invisibility to let the sunlight just go through or around them and avoid the negative effects of sunlight exposure?

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Wizard View Post
    Q 107

Can a PC or creature with sunlight sensitivity use invisibility to let the sunlight just go through or around them and avoid the negative effects of sunlight exposure?
    A107 A DM is free to allow this to work, but by RAW being invisible doesn't affect your perception, make you immune to lighting effects (besides your own visibility, obviously) or do anything else to overcome sunlight sensitivity.

30. - Top - End - #240

Q109 Can I cast booming blade or green flame blade with a thrown dagger?
    Last edited by Arenabait; 2017-03-06 at 02:55 AM.