New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bellator Arcana: The Eldritch Knight's guide

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    If the spell has both a somatic and a material component, and neither your weapon nor shield qualifies as a spellcasting focus (for pure eldritch knight that would be never), then you cannot do the somatic components with War Caster, and instead need an actual spellcasting focus (or rather, unless you have multiclassed into wizard, the actual material components) to do it. (This is why War Caster is especially great for clerics and paladins; they can use a shield with holy symbol as their spellcasting focus, and can cover huge amount of spells with that.)
    War Caster is an amazing feat for all spell-casters, especially melee ones:

A) Advantage against loosing a concentration spell when taking damage is a must for most spellcasters.

B) Spells of oportunity. Someone tryes to leave your reach? Punish them twofold with a Booming Blade in the back. (also more uses with the right feat combinations)

C) Many useful spells (and especially cantrips) don't use material components. They however do use somatic components. So, an eldritch knight with war caster can use his Mirror Image/Blink wile wielding his Shield and Weapon or Two Weapons. He can also use his True Strike with War Magic to ensure a hit against an especially powerful opponent.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2016-12-03 at 08:00 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    War Caster is an amazing feat for all spell-casters, especially melee ones:

A) Advantage against loosing a concentration spell when taking damage is a must for most spellcasters.

B) Spells of oportunity. Someone tryes to leave your reach? Punish them twofold with a Booming Blade in the back. (also more uses with the right feat combinations)

C) Many useful spells (and especially cantrips) don't use material components. They however do use somatic components. So, an eldritch knight with war caster can use his Mirror Image/Blink wile wielding his Shield and Weapon or Two Weapons. He can also use his True Strike with War Magic to ensure a hit against an especially powerful opponent.
    Don't get my previous post wrong, I didn't say that War Caster was bad for Eldritch Knight. I just pointed out the flaws that even this amazing feat has. Frankly, it is good that it's not perfect.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-12-03 at 08:10 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Don't get my previous post wrong, I didn't say that War Caster was bad for Eldritch Knight. I just pointed out the flaws that even this amazing feat has. Frankly, it is good that it's not perfect.
    In that case, glad we agree XD

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Just spit ball'n theory crafting, but what benefit to an archery style is an EK?

The Arcane archer in previous editions had an option of centering a spell on an arrow. That might be interesting for a Burning hands or such.
    Most of the options seem best with a melee type; Absorb elements, Shield, etc...
    The SCAG cantrips seem most beneficial for melee type.

For a character try'n to keep their distance, any ideas how to utilize the class' traits?
    And since the greater proportion of spells will be limited to Abjuration & Evocation, what's a good blend?

Or is it just an option to be a switch hitter?
    Go Dex primary with Archery style, & use the SCAGS in their face?
    Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cZak View Post
    Just spit ball'n theory crafting, but what benefit to an archery style is an EK?

The Arcane archer in previous editions had an option of centering a spell on an arrow. That might be interesting for a Burning hands or such.
    Most of the options seem best with a melee type; Absorb elements, Shield, etc...

For a character try'n to keep their distance, any ideas how to utilize the class' traits?
    And since the greater proportion of spells will be limited to Abjuration & Evocation, what's a good blend?

You're still a Fighter, regardless of subclass you'll be very good at ranged attacks.

Prime benefit for Eldritch Knight in particular is you don't have to constantly save for and maintain defensive buffs that melee EKs typically use, suddenly you spell slots to freely use for other buff or control spells. You'll have some of the amazing mobility in Expeditious Retreat, Misty Step, Fly, and mobility is bread and butter of ranged-focused tactics. You now have the option of using Haste and Magic Weapon or Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Counterspell without the pressure of saving the slots for Blur or Mirror Image. Most of these spells take your free spell pick, of course, but you have options a defensive melee EK typically avoids. It's also easier to have a higher Int score for save-or-suck spells since you only need Dex, unlike a Str and Con focused melee EK.

You also still have those defensive buffs for those times you are in melee, as well. Mage Armor also becomes a more likely option. War Magic also gets a few tricks like Shoot->Debuff at range, combo'd with Eldritch Strike. Disadvantaged Hold Person? Or Shoot->Shoot->Shoot->Action Surge->Disadvantaged Fireball?

The biggest drawback is that it takes until I'd say at least level 7 to really see unique benefits for ranged attacks, which is long time for a lot of campaigns. Until then, the biggest unique advantage is Expeditious Retreat, otherwise you're mostly leveraging Shield, Absorb Elements, Find Familiar, and SCAG cantrips like any other EK.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I've played two eldritch knights in my day. One was a human archer (made it to level 12), one was a dwarf tank.

Both were tons of fun. The spells I chose were almost all abjuration. For an archer (hand crossbow), I think the battlemaster would have been a more effective character, but it was cool and fun that my 12 CON never came back to bite me.

The tank had warcaster and was just a ton of fun as well.

Both characters used the spells expeditious retreat, shield, and misty step more than any other spell. Both characters had an INT of 8!! You just did more damage with weapons, and, as pointed out above, even a half damage fireball is a good weapon against hordes or weaklings.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Nope
    I'm thinking archery style for an EK is, at best, black. More inclined toward less.
    Seems a Battlemaster, maybe even Champion, would be better.

You get three non-abjuration/evocation spells to choose in your career. Yea, 20th level, too, but unlikely.

For an EK archer, best generics (not area specific; Underdark, Shipboard, etc...) I can see, and the only ones I'd rate gold:
    Expeditious retreat (mobility)
    Blur/ Mirror image (defense)
    Levitate (run on ceiling/wall),
    Fly
    Haste.

Campaign/ play style might make some selections better for out of combat scenarios; Disguise self, Enhance ability, etc... But if you have a full caster, they'd probably be better picks than your known limits.

They improve your tactical effectiveness.
    They do not require a save. Your DC is going to suck. If you have any other full caster, let them blast, banish, charm, frighten, etc... They're primary stat is going to determine their DC, unlike your tertiary stat.
    Fools are made to suffer, not to be suffered

8. - Top - End - #98

DruidGuy

They do not require a save. Your DC is going to suck. If you have any other full caster, let them blast, banish, charm, frighten, etc... They're primary stat is going to determine their DC, unlike your tertiary stat.
    You're recycling an argument that really doesn't have a direct bearing on fighting styles. Eldritch Knight, regardless of style, can build for Int. It's actually easier for a ranged EK since you can afford to ignore Con, making Int secondary. Otherwise, the simple scenario is that a full caster only has one concentration and one turn a round, so even though they have better and more options, they can't do everything at once. Having another player, even a third level caster, that can cover those options is tactically prudent.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Absorb Elements and Shield work for ranged as fine as for melee. 90% percent of damage will come from either attacks (Shield) or area damage (AE). So you should outlast other fighters (I outlast our Barbarian neatly). And in range, you won't even spend your reaction on opportunity attacks, so it's all about self-defense.

Keep your distance with a) Expeditious Retreat, b) War Magicing Ray of Frost, c) creating Darkness to pop in and out, or d) taking the opportunity attack and shielding up to avoid risk.

Nope
    I'm thinking archery style for an EK is, at best, black. More inclined toward less.
    Seems a Battlemaster, maybe even Champion, would be better.
    You get three non-abjuration/evocation spells to choose in your career. Yea, 20th level, too, but unlikely.
    For an EK archer, best generics (not area specific; Underdark, Shipboard, etc...) I can see, and the only ones I'd rate gold:
    Expeditious retreat (mobility)
    Blur/ Mirror image (defense)
    Levitate (run on ceiling/wall),
    Fly
    Haste.
    Campaign/ play style might make some selections better for out of combat scenarios; Disguise self, Enhance ability, etc... But if you have a full caster, they'd probably be better picks than your known limits.
    Four spells, one each at 3, 8, 14 and 20.
    Battlemaster and Champion add more damage, Champion especially if rests are rare, but can't survive as long as an EK.

The evocation thing is old. It's all about opportunity. When you have tons of mooks huddled up, a single Shatter makes a big difference.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hi there,

I've got a tiefling EK I've played up to level 5, almost 6. He's beaucoup fun and I'm hopnig I could get a bit of feedback on him, if any of you are so inclined. The post about him is here.

Thanks.

Ghorrin Redblade

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

I have a question. Why would I stay Eldritch Knight when I could jump out into Abjurer at 7 or 12 and get a protective ward that I can extend out to protect my teammates? 7 if I'm relying on SCAG cantrips, 12 if I'm relying on standard attacks. Wizards learn spells for any level they have spell slots meaning I can still pick up Haste at 13, or 10 if I jumped out at 7.

12. - Top - End - #102

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell2 View Post
    I have a question. Why would I stay Eldritch Knight when I could jump out into Abjurer at 7 or 12 and get a protective ward that I can extend out to protect my teammates? 7 if I'm relying on SCAG cantrips, 12 if I'm relying on standard attacks. Wizards learn spells for any level they have spell slots meaning I can still pick up Haste at 13, or 10 if I jumped out at 7.
    The main reason to stay an EK is you're building towards getting a third and possibly fourth attack. Secondary to that is the fact that the 10th level Eldritch Strike ability is pretty cool. Tertiary reason is more hit points. If none of these matter to you then yes, taking more levels in Wizard is a totally viable strategy after you've gotten your 7 levels of EK for War Magic.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I think what you're saying here is that an Eldritch Knight 12/Wizard 1 could learn haste, which is incorrect:

"You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class. If you are a ranger 4/wizard 3, for example, you know three 1st-level ranger spells based on your levels in the ranger class. As 3rd-level wizard, you know three wizard cantrips, and your spellbook contains ten wizard spells, two of which (the two you gained when you reached 3rd level as a wizard) can be 2nd-level spells."
    -Players Handbook, pg. 164

14. - Top - End - #104

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post
    I think what you're saying here is that an Eldritch Knight 12/Wizard 1 could learn haste, which is incorrect:

"You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class. If you are a ranger 4/wizard 3, for example, you know three 1st-level ranger spells based on your levels in the ranger class. As 3rd-level wizard, you know three wizard cantrips, and your spellbook contains ten wizard spells, two of which (the two you gained when you reached 3rd level as a wizard) can be 2nd-level spells."
    Oh yes, this is absolutely true, and I missed that part of the question. The reason to start taking levels in wizard is mostly that you start getting a lot more spell slots and the ability to learn spells that aren't evocation or abjuration. You still need to get enough wizard levels to be able to learn higher level spells though, so in practice you don't actually accelerate the process of learning stuff like Haste. You do spend a bunch of time with 3rd level slots and no 3rd level spells though, which means you can upcast lower level spells or even just burn the slots for extra castings of Shield or something.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CantigThimble View Post

This I wasn't aware of, I must have totally glossed over it or subconsciously blanked it in my mind because I didn't want it to be true. I can see why someone who relies on getting multiple extra attacks would stay in but if I'm relying on the SCAG cantrips, I could get Eldritch Knight to 7 then jump out to Wizard and have Haste by 12, that's one level earlier than straight Eldritch Knight. The extra HP is being made up for by Arcane Ward, why would I stay Eldritch Knight other than Eldritch Strike?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

This I wasn't aware of, I must have totally glossed over it or subconsciously blanked it in my mind because I didn't want it to be true. I can see why someone who relies on getting multiple extra attacks would stay in but if I'm relying on the SCAG cantrips, I could get Eldritch Knight to 7 then jump out to Wizard and have Haste by 12, that's one level earlier than straight Eldritch Knight. The extra HP is being made up for by Arcane Ward, why would I stay Eldritch Knight other than Eldritch Strike?
    Well, there's Indomitable (which is mild), a bonus ASI, Arcane Charge, more Action Surge, Improved War Maguc and eventually 4th-level spells. But EK10/Abjurer 10 sounds good for what you want.

17. - Top - End - #107

18. - Top - End - #108

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    Just added magic items! Feedback is appreciated!
    I'm pretty sure Cloak of Displacement is the single best Rare item you can get as an EK. When you've already got a high AC that item basically just reads "never take targeted damage again".

You should also mention Belts of Giant Strength, as they enable some nice builds where you don't ever bother to increase STR beyond some initial amount.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

First, this guide has been invaluable to me. Good job, Specter.

I'm about to start a game playing an EK. The. Rest of the party consists of a Rogue, Moon Druid, and Cleric. Any advice for EK that will be only arcane caster in the party? Does it even matter? Will it affect spell selection?
    Last edited by Lughaidh; 2017-03-07 at 12:43 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lughaidh View Post

I'm about to start a game playing an EK. The. Rest of the party consists of a Rogue, Moon Druid, and Cleric. Any advice for EK that will be only arcane caster in the party? Does it even matter? Will it affect spell selection?
    Do you know what kind of Cleric? If it's a Light Cleric for example, they may have AoEs like Fireball covered pretty well.

As a 1/3 level caster you definitely aren't going to sub in for a wizard. However you might consider picking up Ritual Caster feat at some point if that helps cover some of the bases for your party. At the very least you'll free up a 1st level "any school" slot for Find Familiar, for example. Check with your DM if he/she thinks that the other ritual casting spells are necessary for the campaign.

That said, you're still a fighter at heart. Probably best to focus on spells that make you better at that.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Pretty much what was said above.

If your party's dealing damage, healing, scouting, diplomatizing and surviving, it's a good party. Play it out and see how it feels.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Fairly certain Cleric is going Light Domain. So as you said. AoE should be covered. I'll consider Ritual feat. Should I try to squeeze in Skilled feat to get proficiency in Arcane skill? Magic Initiate? If not in combat I feel like I should try to cover some of the bases an arcane caster normally would.

A secondary question: I want to hit 18 Dex with my 4th level increase. Is 6th level too late for War Caster feat?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Fairly certain Cleric is going Light Domain. So as you said. AoE should be covered. I'll consider Ritual feat. Should I try to squeeze in Skilled feat to get proficiency in Arcane skill? Magic Initiate? If not in combat I feel like I should try to cover some of the bases an arcane caster normally would.

A secondary question: I want to hit 18 Dex with my 4th level increase. Is 6th level too late for War Caster feat?
    What's your race going to be? If you're a human or a half-elf, you can pick Arcana from your race skills. If not, background. Definitely don't take Skilled.

Feat priority is War Caster if you're using a shield, so level 4 is when you take it. No exceptions. If not using a shield, then you can take either Great Weapon Master or what you think will suit your party best.

But don't worry about being too magical, or you can't play an EK in the first place.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tiefling (feral) and I took Noble for RP reasons. It's a homebrew setting and my character is already entrenched into the backstory. He uses a rapier and shield.

I may be able to convince the GM to just give me Arcana proficiency for free. He's good for free stuff it makes sense story-wise.
    Last edited by Lughaidh; 2017-03-07 at 02:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Tiefling (feral) and I took Noble for RP reasons. It's a homebrew setting and my character is already entrenched into the backstory. He uses a rapier and shield.
    I forget if the PHB explicitly allows it as the default or merely suggests it as an option but you can alter backgrounds unless your DM hates fun. Features are interchangeable, skills can be swapped for other skills, tools can be swapped for other tools, etc.
    Last edited by Puh Laden; 2017-03-07 at 02:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Don't forget that Arcana covers the general workings of magic, so the Cleric or Druid should take it if they can.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks. You guys are aces!

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I may be able to convince the GM to just give me Arcana proficiency for free. He's good for free stuff it makes sense story-wise.
    If he won't give Arcana for free, perhaps you can convince him to exchange the Noble skill prof of History for Arcana instead. Maybe your noble family dabbled in eccentric arcane knowledge, and that's what set you down the path of an Eldritch Knight in the first place?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just wanted to point out that, RAW, a lot of the magic items recommended on the front page cannot be used by an EK. What with them being fighters and not wizards, despite the spell scheme.

Would I let them do it anyway as the DM? Heck yeah. And honestly I doubt more than 10% of DMs even running AL games would care. Nonetheless, it is technically against the rules.

30. - Top - End - #120

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtongue View Post
    I just wanted to point out that, RAW, a lot of the magic items recommended on the front page cannot be used by an EK. What with them being fighters and not wizards, despite the spell scheme.

Would I let them do it anyway as the DM? Heck yeah. And honestly I doubt more than 10% of DMs even running AL games would care. Nonetheless, it is technically against the rules.
    Most of the items that require you to be a wizard to attune to them are sufficiently powerful that a single level dip would be well worth it.