New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

My headcannon is that the Dresden Files, Harry Potter Universe and Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch series are all in the same universe, told from the viewpoints of American, British, and Russian magic users. There's only one city where the masquerade for the public by magic users isn't required, and that is Night Vale.

Harry Potter became the master of death and never truly can die. George Weasley eventually became Willy Wonka.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an illustration of the Avengers playing a role playing game.

Batman has trouble remembering what the superhero names of his sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_EnterprisesI have found, with superhero deconstructions, that they try to hate the idea of superhero fights while still wanting to have superhero fights in their stories, or else don't realise that the themes they're talking about have been extensively covered in the source material they're making fun of for not doing it.

I want to see one point out that even if a final victory is impossible, that doesn't mean that the 5,000 lives someone just saved was a waste of time.
    The webcomic Strong Female Protagonist walks this line very well, you may want to check it out.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    My headcannon is that the Dresden Files, Harry Potter Universe and Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch series are all in the same universe, told from the viewpoints of American, British, and Russian magic users. There's only one city where the masquerade for the public by magic users isn't required, and that is Night Vale.
    I'm not familiar with the Russian work, but the first two could work, if we ignore the facts that the White Council is headquartered in Scotland and we thus see a fair bit of British wizards in the later part of the Dresden Files and that HP wizards casually cast around certain spells that DF wizards would execute them for. The magic systems certainly aren't fundamentally incompatible except in small ways, and the whole "belief shapes magic" thing would explain why HP wizards are so stereotypical.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    The actual in-system transit time can't be that large -- the Charon relay is only about 5 light-hours from Earth (Pluto is only about 5 light-hours from the sun), so an FTL must be able to reach the Charon relay in under 5 hours.
    Repeating myself, that's only direct flight time; it doesn't include all the other stuff that ME ships, and particularly ME prototype stealth warships, need to do. You've got plenty of time to do a walk-around without needing to resort to headcanon.

Heck, during the course of ME2 you completely overhaul the Normandy's shields, replace/reinforce the armor plating and upgrade the main battery. For the sake of game pacing this takes an instant, but in reality those kinds of upgrades would have likely taken days if not weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post
    And, we don't know where the Mu Relay way (that I remember), so it could have been several hops from the Citadel. So I don't think that proves / disproves much of anything.
    Sure we do, you select it on the galaxy map even. The whole point of the Rachni mission on Noveria was getting its updated location. (A supernova pushed it out of position and only they knew where it ended up.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-04-11 at 06:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Russian work, but the first two could work, if we ignore the facts that the White Council is headquartered in Scotland and we thus see a fair bit of British wizards in the later part of the Dresden Files and that HP wizards casually cast around certain spells that DF wizards would execute them for. The magic systems certainly aren't fundamentally incompatible except in small ways, and the whole "belief shapes magic" thing would explain why HP wizards are so stereotypical.
    It could be done fairly easily. Magical Europe is fairly isolationist, so they basically keep to themselves and dont tell their subjects that dresden style magic is possible, or harp on just how difficult it is. As for wardens showing up, they cant, there is an entire group of "nations" out there who would wipe them out through sheer numbers alone if it came down to a fight. So there is an unofficial "leave us alone, we leave you alone" mantra between the white council and the icw. Throw in some bollocks about how using a wand acts as a buffer for hp wizards which is why they dont get corrupted as easily as dresden verse ones seem to. That closes most of the holes in things.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    It could be done fairly easily. Magical Europe is fairly isolationist, so they basically keep to themselves and dont tell their subjects that dresden style magic is possible, or harp on just how difficult it is. As for wardens showing up, they cant, there is an entire group of "nations" out there who would wipe them out through sheer numbers alone if it came down to a fight. So there is an unofficial "leave us alone, we leave you alone" mantra between the white council and the icw. Throw in some bollocks about how using a wand acts as a buffer for hp wizards which is why they dont get corrupted as easily as dresden verse ones seem to. That closes most of the holes in things.
    None of that addresses the biggest flaw in the theory. The White Council Of Wizards is headquartered smack-dab in the middle of Harry Potter land. For the Warders to go after Lockhart for illegal mind control (the memory charms he's so fond of) would require little more than walking out the front door and lopping off his head.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Except that the HP series is acknowledged as fiction in Dresdenverse; In Day Off (one of the short stories collected in Side Jobs), he runs into a group of poser wizards (basically goths with barely enough power between them to light a candle, but think they're badasses). One of them has a Slytherin tattoo, and Harry tells her chides her for it, saying "I liked the movie, too, sweetheart" (or something to that effect; I can't seem to find my copy ATM) before utterly scaring the crap out of them by pulling out his gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

7. - Top - End - #247

None of that addresses the biggest flaw in the theory. The White Council Of Wizards is headquartered smack-dab in the middle of Harry Potter land. For the Warders to go after Lockhart for illegal mind control (the memory charms he's so fond of) would require little more than walking out the front door and lopping off his head.

Do keep in mind that until the end of book 2 everyone thought that lockhart was either a big damn hero, or a big damn liar. It wasnt till the basalisk scene that we learned he stole the story from the actual heroes then mind wiped them. And lockhart ended up mind wiped himself. Im not even sure the general wizarding world is aware of the truth even after book 2. Its not like harry and ron told the daily prophet about what happened. As for harry potter existing in dresdenverse, meh, some muggleborn took the events of harrys life and wrote a stylized series about it. It wouldnt be the first time magicals wrote books about harry in his own universe.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Do keep in mind that until the end of book 2 everyone thought that lockhart was either a big damn hero, or a big damn liar. It wasnt till the basalisk scene that we learned he stole the story from the actual heroes then mind wiped them. And lockhart ended up mind wiped himself. Im not even sure the general wizarding world is aware of the truth even after book 2. Its not like harry and ron told the daily prophet about what happened. As for harry potter existing in dresdenverse, meh, some muggleborn took the events of harrys life and wrote a stylized series about it. It wouldnt be the first time magicals wrote books about harry in his own universe.
    Dresdenverse wizards can detect dark magic though, and to a degree even sense practitioners of it through the residue it leaves on them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #249

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Dresdenverse wizards can detect dark magic though, and to a degree even sense practitioners of it through the residue it leaves on them.
    And why would they be wandering through magical britain and detect it when both sides stay away from each other? Or are you claiming wardens can sense dark magic from entire cities away? And in addition I said to include the fairly standard "wands act as a buffer for the corruptive power of dark magic." aspect to harry potter wizards, fairly standard for this type of fanfic. Which explains why they dont generally bother even trying to track down wand wizards who are breaking their rules. You know, aside from the total lack of jurisdiction that would likely trigger a war if the wardens started murdering wand wizards for breaking rules they dont operate under.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Except that the HP series is acknowledged as fiction in Dresdenverse; In Day Off (one of the short stories collected in Side Jobs), he runs into a group of poser wizards (basically goths with barely enough power between them to light a candle, but think they're badasses). One of them has a Slytherin tattoo, and Harry tells her chides her for it, saying "I liked the movie, too, sweetheart" (or something to that effect; I can't seem to find my copy ATM) before utterly scaring the crap out of them by pulling out his gun.
    Clearly, Harry is just playing along to avoid giving away the deception. Or maybe he's actually fooled like the regular people, since at that point remains very intellectually lazy when it comes to magical stuff due to having Bob around as a consultant-on-demand.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And why would they be wandering through magical britain and detect it when both sides stay away from each other? Or are you claiming wardens can sense dark magic from entire cities away? And in addition I said to include the fairly standard "wands act as a buffer for the corruptive power of dark magic." aspect to harry potter wizards, fairly standard for this type of fanfic. Which explains why they dont generally bother even trying to track down wand wizards who are breaking their rules. You know, aside from the total lack of jurisdiction that would likely trigger a war if the wardens started murdering wand wizards for breaking rules they dont operate under.
    For one thing, the headquarters of the wardens is in Edinburg, which is, you know, in Britain. If nothing else, the whole Voldemort thing would have had them up in arms, probably laying siege to Hogwarts or the ministry. They would almost certainly keep in touch with the big names in the other magical communities, if for no other reason than to make sure no trouble is brewing that the other side needs to brace against.

Secondly, the "leave them alone" attitude required to make this work is against the entire characterization of the wardens. They go after people on the mere suspicion of dark magic, they aren't going to just ignore it because they use a wand. They aren't afraid of the corruption, theyre afraid of people messing with free will, or murdering people, or polymorphing people, and a bunch of other stuff that happens in the HP magic community with alarming regularity.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #252

For one thing, the headquarters of the wardens is in Edinburg, which is, you know, in Britain. If nothing else, the whole Voldemort thing would have had them up in arms, probably laying siege to Hogwarts or the ministry. They would almost certainly keep in touch with the big names in the other magical communities, if for no other reason than to make sure no trouble is brewing that the other side needs to brace against.

Secondly, the "leave them alone" attitude required to make this work is against the entire characterization of the wardens. They go after people on the mere suspicion of dark magic, they aren't going to just ignore it because they use a wand. They aren't afraid of the corruption, theyre afraid of people messing with free will, or murdering people, or polymorphing people, and a bunch of other stuff that happens in the HP magic community with alarming regularity.
    They are also not total freaking idiots willing to start a war with a group of wizards who are not under their jurisdiction, may be weaker than they are one on one but outnumber them excessively, and have their own governments with their own rules. Just look at events that happen in dresdenverse,
    Spoiler
    Show
    They are already in a cold war with the vampire courts and they are royally PISSED that dresden touched off an active war with the red court. How do you think they would react if some warden decided to chop the head off a magical british citizen and triggered a war with THEM too?
    They arent leaving them alone just because its polite, they are leaving each other alone because wars have been started for far less than extrajudicial killings of some other nations subjects. They have no authority over the wand wizards and vice versa and trying to enforce your nations laws in another country is just a really bad idea all the way around. Doubly so when that means killing people.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

They are also not total freaking idiots willing to start a war with a group of wizards who are not under their jurisdiction, may be weaker than they are one on one but outnumber them excessively, and have their own governments with their own rules. Just look at events that happen in dresdenverse,
    Spoiler
    Show
    They are already in a cold war with the vampire courts and they are royally PISSED that dresden touched off an active war with the red court. How do you think they would react if some warden decided to chop the head off a magical british citizen and triggered a war with THEM too?
    They arent leaving them alone just because its polite, they are leaving each other alone because wars have been started for far less than extrajudicial killings of some other nations subjects. They have no authority over the wand wizards and vice versa and trying to enforce your nations laws in another country is just a really bad idea all the way around. Doubly so when that means killing people.
    In the Dresden Files, every magic using human on Earth (or in the Never-Never, or probably off Earth for that matter) is under the jurisdiction of the White Council. There are no exceptions.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    The HP British magical government was overthrown by like a dozen people. They are, decidedly, a non-threat to the White Council.

Frankly, this smacks of trying to engineer a scenario where the two sides are compelled to exist side by side, rather than having one assimilate the other, no matter how improbable that scenario.

In the Dresden Files, every magic using human on Earth (or in the Never-Never, or probably off Earth for that matter) is under the jurisdiction of the White Council. There are no exceptions.

Also this. It doesn't even matter if you know about them or not. Mess with dark magic, and they will come for you, and they will end you.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2017-04-12 at 09:14 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It certainly would - Note I said the same Universe, and not the same immediate time period. The Dresden Files is incredibly America-centric, and each story is spread over about one week each year over about 15 years, told at the level of an adult wizard who becomes a Warden... while everything in the Potterverse is Britain-centric, and each story is spread over an entire year for about 7 years, told at the level of a child wizard who leaves school.

When we take a look at the overall breakdown, there isn't much head butting. The White Council basically acts as a United Nations, covering threats across the globe, while the Ministry of Magic only cares about the UK. The reason that the White Council don't get involved in Voldy's rise in a single country is that he's small potatoes compared to multinational wars against three different vampire factions keeping the Winter/Summer courts in line, and Kemmlerites doing the Darkhallow Mambo.

At the same token, the Wardens act a bit more like Interpol, while the Aurors handled magical law enforcement within their respective country's borders, which is expanded within the EU countries. Pottermore even states outright that "Unlike most Western countries, there was no cooperation between the No-Maj government and MACUSA", and
    A significant difference between the wizarding governments of the United States and the UK of this time was the penalty for serious crime. Whereas British witches and wizards were sent to Azkaban, the worst criminals in America were executed
    Which accurately describes exactly what the Wardens were doing in America, and the Doom of Damocles as the "normal" punishment handed to both Harry and later Molly.

We also find out that the Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is wildly conservative towards the No-Maj (even moreso than the Brits) and located in Massachusetts... While Harry, and later Carlos, in the Midwest and West, respectively, are much more liberal-minded toward the No-Maj, treat them like people, and even forge partnerships with vampires, Fae, skinwalkers and the mob. So it isn't a huge leap to think that most of the MACUSA is concentrated there... but that's only a tiny corner of the US. Is it the wild west out there? Yes, often it is.

In Russia, things are in a different state of flux. Instead of a single ruling body over the area, there are two in a constant balance due to a treaty and the power of bureaucracy - a Night Watch that policing every violation by the Dark Others, and a Day Watch that polices the violations of the Light Others, and a bipartisan Inquisition to keep the balance. The treaty is much like the Unseelie Accords, and the Night Watch like the MACUSA or the MoM, but they also have representation of all of the Dark others (Vampires, Dark Mages, et al)... so Dresden's idea of a "Black Council" would seem perfectly normal to them.
    Last edited by Vogie; 2017-04-12 at 11:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

When we take a look at the overall breakdown, there isn't much head butting. The White Council basically acts as a United Nations, covering threats across the globe, while the Ministry of Magic only cares about the UK. The reason that the White Council don't get involved in Voldy's rise in a single country is that he's small potatoes compared to multinational wars against three different vampire factions keeping the Winter/Summer courts in line, and Kemmlerites doing the Darkhallow Mambo.
    The Wardens will straight-up execute you for a single use of Black Magic, no matter how minor. While all that is going on. After most of the Wardens were killed in a nerve gas strike. If they existed in the Harry Potter universe, or Voldy showed up in the DF universe, executing Voldy (as well as most of the Wizarding government officials, Harry, and Hermoine) would become a top priority.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

If we can throw fanon discontinuity on the table, I nominate Metroid: Other M. It was just Metroid Fusion minus the X-Parasites, and it never happened.

On the subject of Metroid, Metroid Prime (the creature) was the first creature the Leviathan Seed encountered when it struck Tallon IV and was chosen to be the core's guardian. This happened before the Chozo were able to erect the Artifact temple. Phaaze is sentient and would likely have some connection to its Guardians within the seeds. Phaaze was able to recreate Metroids since they were
    created by the Chozo and not being a naturally occurring species. This is why they appear on Phaaze in Corruption.

18. - Top - End - #258

The HP British magical government was overthrown by like a dozen people. They are, decidedly, a non-threat to the White Council.

Frankly, this smacks of trying to engineer a scenario where the two sides are compelled to exist side by side, rather than having one assimilate the other, no matter how improbable that scenario.

Also this. It doesn't even matter if you know about them or not. Mess with dark magic, and they will come for you, and they will end you.
    It was not, it was taken over by a dozen people, plus the 2/3 of the government that agreed with those dozen people. Good folk like arthur weasley were the distinct minority. The purebloods (you know, the people who had the most to gain by voldemort winning?) were in near complete control of every department, and most of them at least sympathized if not outright openly supported the dark lord. And again, no, they wont, because you do not invade a foreign nation and execute its citizens unless you want to start a war. And wardens going in and executing wand wizards is exactly that. Im not sure how many wizards are a member of the dresden universe but in britain alone there are at least 3000 magicals. At the world cup over 100k magicals showed to the event. That is just way too many magicals for the ultimate supreme magical white council and their scary murder cops to police/subjugate/conquer.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

DOOM (2016) is set in the same universe as Warhammer 40k, just during an earlier time period. The wreckage of the technology will one day contribute to the rise of the techpriests, with lingering demonic energy making mars the dangerous world it is described as.

Doomguy is either a member of the Legion of the Damned thrown back in time by the warp, the progenitor of their geneseed contamination, or both: The Legion of the Damned being space marines from the Cursed Founding who were believed lost to the warp, but sometimes appear when a world is overtaken by demonic forces. They are described as using demonic abilities (such as Doomguy's ability to draw strength from demons and hell energy), passing into and out of the immaterium with ease (doomguy being the only non-demon who can pass into and out of hell as readily as them), fighting in eery silence (doomguy's only soundtrack being roars of daemonic frustration and fear, the sound of firearms and the music playing in his own head) with great fury (the game gets surprisingly expressive with only hands visible), and fighting to attempt to slaughter every last warp-tainted thing discounting themselves on the planet before returning to the warp apparently to continue their crusade, reappearing only to shove a grenade down the throat of other daemonic invasions.

There is even similar appearance between many of the demonic forces between the universes.

Spoiler: Bloodletter, 40k
    Show

Spoiler: Imp, Doom
    Show

And that's one of the more visually distinct analogues.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It was not, it was taken over by a dozen people, plus the 2/3 of the government that agreed with those dozen people. Good folk like arthur weasley were the distinct minority. The purebloods (you know, the people who had the most to gain by voldemort winning?) were in near complete control of every department, and most of them at least sympathized if not outright openly supported the dark lord. And again, no, they wont, because you do not invade a foreign nation and execute its citizens unless you want to start a war. And wardens going in and executing wand wizards is exactly that. Im not sure how many wizards are a member of the dresden universe but in britain alone there are at least 3000 magicals. At the world cup over 100k magicals showed to the event. That is just way too many magicals for the ultimate supreme magical white council and their scary murder cops to police/subjugate/conquer.
    A: the magical community of Britain is not an independent nation with a military, economy, trade agreements, etc... Its more like a guild with guild rules. They don't have a standing army, most of them arent even especially combat competent. A "war" with them is not nearly as big of a threat as you are making it out to be.

B: That is, in fact, exactly what the wardens do and have done. They have treaties with the other magical communities that flat out make all magical humans their responsibility, and under their protection.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

A: the magical community of Britain is not an independent nation with a military, economy, trade agreements, etc... Its more like a guild with guild rules. They don't have a standing army, most of them arent even especially combat competent. A "war" with them is not nearly as big of a threat as you are making it out to be.
    Especially given the whole three unforgivable curses thing and their unwillingness to use guns. if no one in the community is going to Avada Kedavra then they're boned. and even if they are willing, its HP word of god that a guy with a gun defeats a HP wizard every time, because a gun is simply more practical:

"Ava-"
    *Bang*
    wizard falls to the ground.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #262

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Especially given the whole three unforgivable curses thing and their unwillingness to use guns. if no one in the community is going to Avada Kedavra then they're boned. and even if they are willing, its HP word of god that a guy with a gun defeats a HP wizard every time, because a gun is simply more practical:

"Ava-"
    *Bang*
    wizard falls to the ground.
    Isn't pretty much anywhere frequented by wizards layered with charms that ruin stuff like that though?

I do headcanon... quite a lot of things that came up in Fantastic Beasts though.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Isn't pretty much anywhere frequented by wizards layered with charms that ruin stuff like that though?

I do headcanon... quite a lot of things that came up in Fantastic Beasts though.
    not necessarily. Harry's watch works (until he drowns it in a lake until it dies), for example. A gun is, fundamentally, actually a pretty simple device, which is why the dresdenverse wizards can use them at all.

24. - Top - End - #264

not necessarily. Harry's watch works (until he drowns it in a lake until it dies), for example. A gun is, fundamentally, actually a pretty simple device, which is why the dresdenverse wizards can use them at all.
    A gun is considerably more dangerous than a watch though; I'd imagine the wizards would have planned specifically for something that makes Muggles/No-majs that lethal.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

A gun is considerably more dangerous than a watch though; I'd imagine the wizards would have planned specifically for something that makes Muggles/No-majs that lethal.
    Eeeehhh....both Dresdenverse and HP wizards have a strong taboo against killing people with magic. I think Dresden has developed a sophisticated magical shield to protect against bullets in the later books but there is no indication that other wizards do the same. But killing people with guns isn't magic, so Harry often uses them against human opponents, while HP wizards seem to live in some weird isolated community that thinks muggle devices are inferior to magic when they so very dead wrong.

Meaning in both universes its more beneficial for wizards to kill people using normal guns than with magic, because in dresdenverse killing a human with magic corrupts and marks you, while any wizard could tell if you used Avada Kedavra, but no one thinks anything weird about a bullet hole. Dresdenverse wizards therefore use guns themselves and probably don't make much of an effort to protect against them because they just protect against it the old fashioned way: kevlar vests and killing the other guy first.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #266

B: That is, in fact, exactly what the wardens do and have done. They have treaties with the other magical communities that flat out make all magical humans their responsibility, and under their protection.
    A) Ummmm, yes it is. It has its own government, it has its own laws, its own punishments, it collects taxes, it has treaties with groups like the goblins, it has communication with the nonmagical government of britain as well. It is in all ways its own little nation inside of regular britain. Im not quite sure how you could think otherwise.

B) No reason wand wavers cant be an exception and every reason they should be. The vast population disparity for example. The white council can proclaim whatever the heck they like, doesnt mean it actually is worth anything in practice. Its a very different thing to enforce your laws over small groups of random spell casters than over a multinational group numbering potentially in the millions world wide, that has its own version of the UN as well as each nation having its own government. As for not really a threat, please recall you are comparing a civil war in which half the government or more is in cahoots with the enemy to what a regular military force could do. Of course they sucked at fighting it, most of the government didnt even want to fight and made sure to hamstring all efforts to do so. You would think george foreman sucked as a boxer if the only time you watched him fight he had his shoelaces tied together and wasnt allowed to use his right arm.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Harry Potter became the master of death and never truly can die. George Weasley eventually became Willy Wonka.

Guardians of the Galaxy is an illustration of the Avengers playing a role playing game.

Batman has trouble remembering what the superhero names of his sidekicks.

The webcomic Strong Female Protagonist walks this line very well, you may want to check it out.
    Reading it. Find it pretty uneven, quality wise, ranges from excellent to not very good from moment to moment.

Headcanon: Commander Shepard, early in their career, underwent a disastrous mission where they were chronically undersupplied, and thus combat was incredibly difficult. They resolved after that to never ever EVER let that happen again, and developed a pathological need to stockpile to a silly degree every resource they could get their hands on, so that they never had to see people die from lack of supply again. The name Shepard is feared by every logistics officer in the galaxy, but their people always have the best gear available, which goes a long way towards making the crew the Gods of War they are.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Eeeehhh....both Dresdenverse and HP wizards have a strong taboo against killing people with magic. I think Dresden has developed a sophisticated magical shield to protect against bullets in the later books but there is no indication that other wizards do the same. But killing people with guns isn't magic, so Harry often uses them against human opponents, while HP wizards seem to live in some weird isolated community that thinks muggle devices are inferior to magic when they so very dead wrong.

Meaning in both universes its more beneficial for wizards to kill people using normal guns than with magic, because in dresdenverse killing a human with magic corrupts and marks you, while any wizard could tell if you used Avada Kedavra, but no one thinks anything weird about a bullet hole. Dresdenverse wizards therefore use guns themselves and probably don't make much of an effort to protect against them because they just protect against it the old fashioned way: kevlar vests and killing the other guy first.
    I don't know anything about Dresdenverse. What I do know is that guns appear to pretty much be a non-factor in Potterverse, and since this is a headcanon thread I was speculating as to why that might be.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #269

I don't know anything about Dresdenverse. What I do know is that guns appear to pretty much be a non-factor in Potterverse, and since this is a headcanon thread I was speculating as to why that might be.
    Too be fair, dresden is set primarily in freaking chicago, while harry potter is set in the uk. That might have something to do with the lack of guns and knowledge about them. It would be like being surprised a book set in australia has a far higher knowledge of and interaction with poisonous screaming spiders and drop bears than a series set in portugal. That guy living in an isolated community in portugal will have far less appreciation for the dangers of a bunyip stampede than bruce does out back.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Headcanon: Commander Shepard, early in their career, underwent a disastrous mission where they were chronically undersupplied, and thus combat was incredibly difficult. They resolved after that to never ever EVER let that happen again, and developed a pathological need to stockpile to a silly degree every resource they could get their hands on, so that they never had to see people die from lack of supply again. The name Shepard is feared by every logistics officer in the galaxy, but their people always have the best gear available, which goes a long way towards making the crew the Gods of War they are.
    So you play the Sole Survivor origin then?