New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Eagle View Post
    * May not make an artificer based on Red Green.
    **Nor on Tim Taylor.
    ***Nor can I combine the two.
    ****I can't make handymen or engineers in modern low/no magic, Tinkers in Super-Hero, or Mad Scientists in Science Fiction settings or any other crafter based on both or either handyman.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XI: I May Not Postpone Naming My Thread

* Setting a fire-resistant D&D character on fire is fine. Setting a fire-resistant LARP character on fire is not.
    Spoiler: Extended Signature
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    All things considered, the guy whose character attacked a gazebo may have actually had a point...
    Quote Originally Posted by Anlashok View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sideswipe View Post
    ban the problem spells and the problem classes. not the whole book.
    So.. Keep the bard?
    Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    The only thing worse than a Beholder with an anti-magic cone is a Beholder without the anti-magic cone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Baaa, I can think! Baaa, I can't see in the dark!

3. - Top - End - #33

*I may not play a Street Samurai with a Christian Crusader motif in a Shadowrun game.
    **Yelling "DEUS VULT!" and "FOR THE GLORY OF GOD" in character is also frowned upon for stealth missions
    ***As is dynamic entries via motorcycles set to Sabaton's Winged Hussars.
    Last edited by Silus; 2017-04-23 at 01:10 PM.
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

*Am never again to refer to Jörmungandr as "Weapons grade Sashimi." That just makes the DM cry.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

* As a Gamemaster, it is a very poor form for me to make the PCs fight boss battles at the very first encounters of the campaigns.

** It is even poorer form to pit a group of PL 10 characters against a PL 14 Powerhouse.

*** It doesn't matter if they managed to survive and beat the PL 14 boss by the end of the first / beginning of the second round.

**** Nor does it matter that the PCs managed to take out the boss (in a different campaign) before the combat encounter could even begin!!!

***** If I'm gonna have bosses with Immunity 80 (Toughness), Limited to Half Effect, I should save them for the end of an adventure.

****** Maybe it would be easier to just ban the Variable power instead. Seriously, what was I thinking?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*The Binding of Isaac is inappropriate source material for homebrewed enemies.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

* May not spend the entire campaign locked in a room with 8 inch thick steel walls, a 10 inch thick steel door, an internet connection,a cyberdeck, and 37 months of food.
    ** No deckers.

* My Rigger must have strategies other than 'more drones'.
    ** Under no circumstances can I ship my drones.
    *** 'Gnomey McGnomeface' is a bit on the nose as a name.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #38

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * My Rigger must have strategies other than 'more drones'.
    *just because it works for the us army does not mean it's an acceptable strategy in rpg's.
    **if my pc summons a flight of fighter-bombers loaded with napalm, it better be in a setting with airplanes.
    ***a flight of dragons loaded with greek fire is in poor taste in fantasy settings.
    **** you know what? warn the dm before calling in air strikes.
    *"flight of the valkyries" is preemptively banned from the rpg playlist.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

9. - Top - End - #39

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    **A giant teratoma is not an acceptable boss.
    ***No, we do not want to see pictures.
    ****All of the above applies to fistula as well.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

**Clive Barker and H.R. Giger are also out
    ***Just stick with H.P. Lovecraft, it causes less trauma for the players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    * For the last time, GNO GNOMES!
    **I mean it this time, GNO GNOMES!
    *** If I've banned gnomes, but created a cat race that tinkers and lives in hilly terrain, then all I've really done is given the campaign a cuter and more flammable gnome.

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    * My character may not speak solely in emojis.
    ** I many not disguise emojis as 'Modern Egyptian'.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*** If I've banned gnomes, but created a cat race that tinkers and lives in hilly terrain, then all I've really done is given the campaign a cuter and more flammable gnome.
    ****May not wonder how a gnome-like race more flammable than standard tinker gnomes isn't extinct.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

**** This has not made the world safer, even if they die after less experiments.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

* The party therapist is no longer allowed to be the one best able to inflict sanity damage.
    ** The party healer is no longer allowed to be the best assassin when we have a hitman and redneck Henderson in the party
    *** Said therapist and healer cannot be the same character
    **** If the party is attempting to assassinate someone, the healer is no longer allowed to hang out with the party crafter and munch on popcorn instead of helping
    ***** Bets on how things are going to mess up are poor form
    ****** Even if I get phenomenal cosmic power if I'm right

* The healer is no longer allowed to try insane suicidal stunts
    ** Must take a session between derailments so the plot can actually move forward

* The party luck mage is no longer allowed to snap his neck skateboarding due to a bad roll
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

* May not pass the ranger's tiger companion off as a circus animal to explain why it's following the party around.
    ** Definitely not allowed to use said tiger as a street performer.
    *** From now on, the ranger's only allowed to teach his tiger combat tricks.

* "Frogs" is not the plural noun for Grippli.
    ** It's not the plural noun for a froghemoth, either.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ElFi View Post
    ** It's not the plural noun for a froghemoth, either.
    ***While it's completely in-character, the plural of froghemoth is not screaming followed by a string of expletives.
    **** "Nope" is not a noun for anything dangerous and/or disturbing, nor is it a verb for avoiding same.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2017-04-25 at 09:54 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

*If the game features a trial, I am not allowed to have the plot be based on Legally Blonde.
    **If we choose to sing There! Right There! while playing at the local gameshop, we should at least wait until the couple of gay customers exit the shop.
    ***That they sang along even through our slightly changed lyrics does not excuse us from the second point.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khaiel View Post
    *If the game features a trial, I am not allowed to have the plot be based on Legally Blonde.
    ** But I will run it on JAG rules.
    *** Objection, badgering the witness!
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    *** Objection, badgering the witness!
    ****Ironically, polymorphing the witness into a badger probably counts as assault (and/or battery, depending on how the jurisdiction defines the terms), rather than "badgering the witness."
    Show

Gnomish proverb

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

* If I have more production capacity than the entire nation, I am banned from either magic (in a fantasy game) or owning a corporation (in a fantasy game).
    ** I cannot have more power than I can carry in a backpack.

Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

** I cannot have more power than I can carry in a backpack.
    ***Heward's Handy Haversack is right out.
    ****Cannot create a demiplane with the entrance portal in a backpack.
    *****Cannot build Pun-Pun and have my also-omnipotent viper familiar ride around in a backpack.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

22. - Top - End - #52

DrowGuy

***While it's completely in-character, the plural of froghemoth is not screaming followed by a string of expletives.
    **** "Nope" is not a noun for anything dangerous and/or disturbing, nor is it a verb for avoiding same.
    *strings of expletives must be used after a plan has backfired, not as the plan itself (again)
    **if player action provokes a string of expletives, run. don't stand around pointing fingers (again)
    ***if the dm provokes strings of expletives from the players, run. don't stand around flipping off the fourth wall (again)
    * "nope" (and all variants) is not a valid description.
    ** "screw that thing" is not a valid description.
    *** "future victim", while distateful and possibly pretentious, is authorized for omnicidal characters trying to find a valid description.

a couple more from my campaign:

*the following are not ashtrays: npc's, passing children, corpses, rats, rat-human hybrids, rat-spider hybrids, flammable substances, future victims, pc's (and their possessions), berets (despite proof to the contrary).
    *the proper response to seeing a teammate getting traumatically amputated is "aw crud, you ok?", not "AGAIN?! you clumsy idiot!"
    *rampaging with an oversized monkey wrench while wearing only a beret? never again.
    *while sniper rifles can be used to such extent, they don't automatically confer a bonus on intimidation checks.
    **neither do shotguns.
    *** there is no such thing as "flamethrower diplomacy".
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

23. - Top - End - #53
    Spamalot in the Playground

* I cannot complain about senpai not noticing me while in stealth mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    * there is no such thing as "flamethrower diplomacy".
    Would you like to make a bet?
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2017-04-28 at 02:17 PM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

**** there is no such thing as "flamethrower diplomacy".
    Challenge accepted!

* I may not mine the magical blue diamond veins we discovered.
    ** Those were just to look cool, not to be turned into treasure!
    *** Even if it would really help out the outpost we're establishing.
    **** No, I do not get XP equal to the value of the diamonds!
    ***** Giving one magic blue diamond to the pseudodragon that adopted me is acceptable.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #55

DrowGuy

i'd love to, but i'm banned flamethrowers... i'll get the beatstick of the band on it, though ^^

... or the techie, they come equipped with a one-shot flamethrower/ welding torch as standard class accoutrements. when i proposed the idea to (iirc) "toast the ingrate and be done with it", the dm said that phrase pretty verbatim (ultimately, we robbed him blind and he thanked us for it...)

did i mention we're the "good guys" of that universe?

*as much as it feels appropriate, no quoting unreal tournament phrases. especially after the non-com of the band frags 9 people in a row bare-handed.
    ** it's not a "killing spree", it's the dice gods wreaking havoc on the dm's plans.
    *** "monster kill" is only to be said when we scrag a monster. not after slaughtering an orphanage (for the 8th time)
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*** there is no such thing as "flamethrower diplomacy".
    ****May not name my +1d6 fire damage hand crossbow "Diplomacy."
    *****A crossbow that does an extra 1d6 fire damage is not a flamethrower.
    ******It isn't a "Wand of Fire Bolt" either. Even if it fires bolts that are on fire.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground

* Not allowed to bring the serial killer home.
    ** No matter how tragic his backstory is.
    *** Not even if he probably fits in better in your world than his.
    **** Also not allowed to "sibling adopt" the serial killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

**The Binding Of Isaac is also inappropriate source material for player characters

29. - Top - End - #59

DrowGuy

****May not name my +1d6 fire damage hand crossbow "Diplomacy."
    ***** weapons cannot be named the following: contract, introspection, terms and agreements, parlay, discussion, peace pipe (even if it's a length of pipe), pacificator
    ****** "low-tech mind control" is not an ancient barbarian custom.
    *percussive maintenance works on objects, not people, despite evidence to the contrary.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*percussive maintenance works on objects, not people, despite evidence to the contrary.
    **Even if the character is a cleric of the OD&D version of St. Cuthbert, who was a strong proponent of (to quote Gary Gygax) "pounding sense into someone's head by dint of blows from a club."
    Show

Gnomish proverb