New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: Boop!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Effectively, this system is specifically designed to pad up SR representation of every Hero, even the ones that do really badly at high levels of play. That's why I'm skeptical of Gomipile's definition of 'viable'. Not because I don't agree with the sentiment (that you ought to be able to maintain a high SR with your favorite Hero, if you're dedicated and demonstrate skill), but because Blizzard has effectively put their thumb on the scale. In effect, you're not competing against other players, you're competing against other players who play your main.
    I don't mind if they have to get rid of the statistics based SR gain/loss adjustment system. Maybe once it's gone, they can pick a number of heroes everyone with a "low powered" or situational main is expected to be competent with and balance around that.

So, say, if they expect the most situational hero's main to be competent with 3 total heroes for flex reasons, they should make sure that the most situational or worst heroes are useful in at least 1/3 of all possible rounds on the maps in competitive. That way, with the hypothetical n=3, a player can maintain their main with the most hours played in the list of 3 heroes that they play in a given season while being useful in every round of every match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I am still flabbergasted why they didn't make Justicar the "Steamwheedle Battlecry" minion.
    Um... I think this might be in the wrong thread?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

How do I McCree?

I prefer him as my Offense hero of choice due to his stylistics and overall "fun" feeling (I also like Pharah), but aside from stuff like "learn how to aim better" I kinda don't know what I'm doing with him.

Long-range poke has damage fall-off and when in a bad situation he is kinda bad at escaping. He seems to excel at 1v1, but if he goes flanking and walks into too many people he is wiped out immediately. Fan The Hammer seems like it only ever works point-blank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winthur View Post
    How do I McCree?

I prefer him as my Offense hero of choice due to his stylistics and overall "fun" feeling (I also like Pharah), but aside from stuff like "learn how to aim better" I kinda don't know what I'm doing with him.

Long-range poke has damage fall-off and when in a bad situation he is kinda bad at escaping. He seems to excel at 1v1, but if he goes flanking and walks into too many people he is wiped out immediately. Fan The Hammer seems like it only ever works point-blank.
    He's good at comboing with and defending teammates. So, perhaps you could try sticking near the edge of your team's core formation more often?

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How do I McCree?

Stay with your team, slightly behind your tanks, and use consistent hitscan poke damage to push your enemies. NEVER flank. You're right, fan is trash outside immediate range. Save it for flashbang, face-level fights, and scuffing down barriers. Remember your roll can be used for re-positioning, or for a quick reload. Practice sideways rolling and reacquiring your target, a well-timed roll can help you win a duel, it's not quite as good as Tracer's blink, but the same general idea applies. Resist the temptation to use the flashbang immediately in duels, unless you're going to get the drop on them. Lots of opponents will expect you to throw it early, and can use cooldowns to thwart you, so you need to bait those out. Ultimately, McCree is an enforcer. He can hit hard as people get close to your team, peel for healers, and thwart enemy ultimates, and his mid-range chip damage is quite respectable, especially as your aim improves.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

So apparently Tobjorn has a shotgun... how did I never notice that until tonight?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So apparently Tobjorn has a shotgun... how did I never notice that until tonight?

On the character select screen, in the upper-right corner, underneath the Hero's name, there's a blue "info" button. Click that, and you'll see a breakdown of each ability they have, passive or otherwise. I recommend taking a spin with every Hero in the Practice Range, so you can try out their stuff, and get a better idea of what they do.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

How do I McCree?

McCree is kind of a mid-range poke/flank screener. He's to keep an eye out for those enemy heroes trying to flank your team. That second job is going to get a lot easier when the new buff goes through. The flashbang is supposed to heavily slow targets hit by it as well as stun at the same time. Should stop the genji's and tracer's from dashing simultaneously as they are flashed, moving them out of his reticle range.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ettin in the Playground

On the character select screen, in the upper-right corner, underneath the Hero's name, there's a blue "info" button. Click that, and you'll see a breakdown of each ability they have, passive or otherwise. I recommend taking a spin with every Hero in the Practice Range, so you can try out their stuff, and get a better idea of what they do.
    Absolutely sound advice, within the first 3 days of playing I went to the practice range and spent 5-10 minutes playing around with every hero just to get a feel for them. Not that it did me a ton of good with some of them, like Roadhog, Hanzo and McCree. Then a few others, but as I've gotten more experience I've gotten significantly better with them(Reinhardt, Reaper, Tracer, Mei).

10. - Top - End - #760
    Troll in the Playground

I played around with your advice, and while it was sound, I think that in the end my mechanical skills are just too low and after the match where I went 1 elimination / 8 deaths, it just wasn't right to play this character no more, even though I put the most time into him (around 8 hours).

I'm saying this because I truly believe in one's personal responsibility for failures, although I'm also very much miffed at my current mouse, which is extremely jittery and doesn't go straight. It doesn't help that my overall setup is kinda wonky, but my mouse just has a penchant for randomly stopping in one place and just drawing squiggly lines in the air. I tried dusting off the mousepad and fixing the mouse, but as it stands, it just seems like the mouse is too screwed up for high aim shenanigans.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Absolutely sound advice, within the first 3 days of playing I went to the practice range and spent 5-10 minutes playing around with every hero just to get a feel for them. Not that it did me a ton of good with some of them, like Roadhog, Hanzo and McCree. Then a few others, but as I've gotten more experience I've gotten significantly better with them(Reinhardt, Reaper, Tracer, Mei).
    FPS aim is a skill that requires practice, especially if this is your first FPS. I've been playing online shooters since they were invented. However, even a novice can improve, and surprisingly quickly, if you do the right things:

1) Reduce your sensitivity. Good aim is about making micro-corrections, and having a low sens effectively 'gears down' your mouse, so that a relatively large mouse movement translates into a small level of correction. If your sensitivity is too high, you're liable to miss due to oversteer, and it will be very hard for you to get precise control of your aimpoint.

2) Use good ergonomics. You want a large surface on which to use your mouse. 12" diameter, minimum.

3) Predictive crosshair placement. Have your crosshair set at neck level for the most common Heroes, and turn corners aiming where you expect enemies to be. In effect, already be aiming where you expect to shoot.

4) Patience. The player who shoots first isn't the one who wins the duel, it's the player that hits first. At first, you'll feel like you're dying for no reason, but it's far more important that you take good shots, not fast ones. Little Bill said it best:

5) Positioning. Often what separates good players from bad ones isn't their mechanical aim, though that certainly can make a difference, it's being able to identify where to to obtain an advantage. Don't be predictable, seek out the high ground, learn to anticipate where the enemy will be. Stay with your team, or use your mobility to ensure you're at the advantage when you engage the enemy.

I played around with your advice, and while it was sound, I think that in the end my mechanical skills are just too low and after the match where I went 1 elimination / 8 deaths, it just wasn't right to play this character no more, even though I put the most time into him (around 8 hours).
    If you're a FPS novice, it will take a lot more time to improve your game, but I encourage you to practice! That's what quick play is for.

I'm saying this because I truly believe in one's personal responsibility for failures, although I'm also very much miffed at my current mouse, which is extremely jittery and doesn't go straight. It doesn't help that my overall setup is kinda wonky, but my mouse just has a penchant for randomly stopping in one place and just drawing squiggly lines in the air. I tried dusting off the mousepad and fixing the mouse, but as it stands, it just seems like the mouse is too screwed up for high aim shenanigans.
    Lose the mousepad. They're a liability. Also, get a decent quality optical mouse, they're not too expensive, and you don't need a $150 tricked out gaming mouse, though my favorite the Logitech G502 is on closeout right now.
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2017-07-14 at 01:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Troll in the Playground

If you're a FPS novice, it will take a lot more time to improve your game, but I encourage you to practice! That's what quick play is for.
    Well, no. I played a lot of UT'99, Q3, TF2, less CS; I lean towards projectile aiming rather than hitscan. I think in my case it's mostly a case of forgetting how to play FPS because I played a ton of Sniper and Spy (with a lot of gun usage) so I shouldn't be that terrible.

Lose the mousepad. They're a liability. Also, get a decent quality optical mouse, they're not too expensive, and you don't need a $150 tricked out gaming mouse, though my favorite the Logitech G502 is on closeout right now.
    I tried losing the mousepad, but it's even worse - the mouse doesn't work at all on the surface on my desk (it's polished wood of sorts) and the cursor just lives a life of its own. I have a feeling something in general is very broken with my mouse. The mousepad has to stay for now, I'd say. I'll try thoroughly cleaning the surface of the desk to see if any microdirt doesn't just completely screw things up, though. (Doesn't seem to be the case, however).

I just did a test where I rapidly did a lot of left-to-right mouse movement and the mouse would sometimes completely come to a halt and start making squiggly movements upwards or downwards.

Also, I'm in a wonky setup where the cable of my mouse is kinda shortish and it makes it so that it takes more effort to move view to the right than to the left. On top of that, my hand has to be sideways on the desk to make the setup work at all, so my hand and my mouse are actually perpendicular to the rest of my body.So yeah, prolly upgrade time.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2017-07-14 at 04:22 PM.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll be honest, I have never understood "lower your sensitivity". Always seems far easier to hit with it high, for me.
    Meow(Steam page)

14. - Top - End - #764
    Troll in the Playground

I'll be honest, I have never understood "lower your sensitivity". Always seems far easier to hit with it high, for me.
    Seems to depend on what you play, I think, tbh. To my theoretical understanding, precision and flick-aiming requires low sensitivity and something that requires sharp turns (for example, tracking Zarya's beam) requires high sens.

If you play Counter-Strike GO and you need to hit precise headshots, low sens seems to be the trend. If you play a heavy rocket-jump class (say, Soldier in TF2), you might want higher sensitivity to be able to make smooth, sharp turns to properly juggle and properly rocket jump.

And also if you play something that doesn't care for aim but rather situational awareness, like Mercy, you obviously see no benefit from having low sens.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2017-07-14 at 05:51 PM.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It's what the professionals do, almost to a man, with the exception of people who play melee/short ranged Heroes who prize being able to turn quickly.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Ogre in the Playground

To put it in words other than "because the pros do it that way" A lower sensitivity will give you more stable aim, though I feel it varies from player to player, you don't want jittery aim, or aim that overpasses your target, and the usual culprit of these problems is the sensitivity being too high.

The best way I can visualize it, is the chargers in Splatoon. In splatoon chargers have a laser sight, it doesn't make a dot or anything, but it does draw a line from the end of your weapon to where your shot can reach (and its reach and damage potential changes based on how much you have charged up). Because of this you can literally see someone with trouble aiming, the line will usually rove around awkwardly and often over the target rather than reaching it properly.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm... maybe it's because of the heroes I play then? In TF2, it tends to be stuff like Demoman, Soldier, and Scout. with a touch of Pyro and huntsman Sniper.
    In Overwatch it's more varied, but I do favor close range or relatively-slow-projectile(or ray based) characters. Reaper, Reinhardt, Pharah, Hanzo, Mei, Symmetra, Mercy, Lucio, and such. I also suck at Widowmaker.
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-07-14 at 07:23 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it's a combination of refresh rate, sensitivity and DPI. The end number you're looking at is the sideways distance the mouse travels per 360° rotation.

I have a 13" wide mousepad, and it takes about 8" of sideways motion to do a 360° at my current settings.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

I played a ton with settings and managed to land a pickup group that let me spam McCree for a little while. Before that, I:
    - set up the "6 hard Anas" custom match to play around with my setting
    - found out the DPI of my crappy Chinese mouse and adjusted my sensitivity to it (it was too low before, esp. with the way that my mouse sometimes malfunctions when making wide arm movements)
    - did some feng shui that hopefully made the random stutters of the mouse movement better
    - adjusted my mouse grip and all that jazz
    - changed my crosshair to a single green dot with no bloom, like I used to on Amby Spy.

And, eh. I still average like 37% accuracy, which is not good at all, and my gameplay is sometimes some pretty decent flick shot series that I can be really proud of, and sometimes it's just making a lot of fuss but no real payout.

Probably playing QP kinda detracts from my aiming practice because if I default to Fan the Hammer as a Flashbang folllow up instead of headshotting the debilitated target, then I'm kinda taking shortcuts. Likewise, I managed to die to a Hanzo at point blank. Perfect bodyshot flick -> perfect bodyshot flick -> we both start wildly strafing and instead of me carefuly aiming I go like "HE HAS ONLY 10% HP FIRE AT WILL MR CRUSHER", empty my gun in seconds screwing up the shots, so of course the Hanzo kills me as I reload.

I will keep practicing, cause I wanna get good. Like I said, I sometimes am really surprised with the stuff I can pull off, and then afterwards I fail really hard at tracking my targets. It's a big 50/50. I can usually get a mere Bronze Medal in Eliminations, but I get a lot of Gold in Damage Dealt, so I'm probably being a glorified poke character right now.

EDIT: Realized another issue: Should I bother trying to get good at hitscan when my FPS is at a mere, but fairly stable 40?

EDIT2: Digging around I realized that yeah, it's a really detrimental issue. Lowered all my graphics to "Nintendo 64 Mode" and the FPS didn't even flinch up (and framerate is capped at 300, so...). Well, whatever. I'll become a Winston main or something.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2017-07-15 at 07:15 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Ergonomically, it prevents you from fostering a wrist-aiming bad habit which destroys your wrist in the long term. You should be aiming with your arm and doing fine motor corrections with your wrist.

If you are used to wrist aiming, it's an habit that you should probably break. Both for gameplay reasons and for health reasons. Arm aiming is much better for general tracking, particularly what you mention as "high sensitivity tracking heroes" and wrist for the final corrections (headshots, widow slender frame, projectile leading). In my experience the improvement is noticeable on the first few days of starting to properly split the tasks between arm and wrist.

Sensitivity does not exist on a vacuum, and the general wisdom is that from one end to another of your tracking surface should correspond to a single 360° (with some leeway obviously, and accounting for things like a Goliathus in which you'd probably have to stand up and walk to get your mouse from one end to the other). This is done through the combination of dpi and sensitivity. Sensitivity is an in-game property, dpi is a hardware property but most gaming mice allow you to change the value.

You want dpi as high as your mouse allows and just tune sensitivity, not the other way around. Why? Because dpi is the sampling rate, meaning that when you lower it you lower your adjustment granularity. This effect is actually noticeable and testable, where you have the same average rate of angle change per movement but you are simply unable to do adjustments on the same scales when the dpi is lower.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

EDIT: Realized another issue: Should I bother trying to get good at hitscan when my FPS is at a mere, but fairly stable 40?

EDIT2: Digging around I realized that yeah, it's a really detrimental issue. Lowered all my graphics to "Nintendo 64 Mode" and the FPS didn't even flinch up (and framerate is capped at 300, so...). Well, whatever. I'll become a Winston main or something.
    Personally? I don't believe fps above 30 matters, at least for Overwatch. It's capped by default at 30 and animations start to look odd beyond that.

As for aiming... I really don't get the differences in "wrist" versus "arm" or whatnot. I have a high enough accuracy with anything not scoped so I don't see a reason to try lowering sensitivity. Plus I don't play enough hours per day to need to worry about any injuries(then again, I use a computer setup where my mouse is at waist height, so maybe that alters things?).
    One part I just don't comprehend is the concept of going past your target with high sensitivity? I've never had that happen much.
    The only main change lower sensitivities provide me is making it harder to keep up with faster targets, not having my aim move faster than them.
    Like... my issue with Widowmaker is less an aim one and more her scoped view being too small of an area. I have a much higher long range accuracy with McCree than Widow.

edit number [kinda lost count]: I should mention, I just have no interest in becoming a good Widowmaker or scoped Ana player.
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-07-17 at 05:59 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)

22. - Top - End - #772
    Troll in the Playground

Personally? I don't believe fps above 30 matters, at least for Overwatch. It's capped by default at 30 and animations start to look odd beyond that.
    Having huge FPS means smoother, more responsive gameplay and less risk of an input delay. Pros play on 144hz refresh rate monitors and FPS above 100 if possible because it genuinely makes a difference.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ogre in the Playground

As for aiming... I really don't get the differences in "wrist" versus "arm" or whatnot.
    It's about the same reasoning for why one should be drawing with their whole arm more than just their wrist/fingers, better control (in other words better aim), and you won't destroy the dominant side of your body with repetitive motion injuries. (Good posture helps with both of these things too)

Take it from someone that has bursitis and tendonitis issues in the shoulder, you don't want to invite repetitive motion injuries. My problem starts in the shoulder, but it effects my elbow, wrist, fingers, neck, and upper back. It's painful when aggravated, and causes a reduction of range of motion and fine tuning ability inspite of doing what needs to be done to care for and keep it under control.

I've never personally found that aiming speed is lowered in a meaningful way by reducing sensitivity so I dunno.
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2017-07-17 at 09:34 AM.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A frame-rate higher than your monitor's refresh rate absolutely IS a waste, and so is having a monitor with a higher refresh rate than 60hz. Why? Because the server's tick rate is 63 hertz. In short, your computer won't get more granular information than that with which to display the target's position and momentum. I agree that with a low framerate, you're effectively losing milliseconds off your reaction time, and may be misdirected by unpredictable motion of your target. However, you have to take these things in context. The drop from 60Hz to 40Hz is only 5 milliseconds per frame. Average human reaction time is ~250 milliseconds. The fastest a non-sniper Hero can kill their target is 500 milliseconds (McCree double-tap). What's 5 milliseconds compared to that?

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

After meddling further with the framerate, I realized that I'm routinely dropping below said 40 FPS and further. It's either a summer issue or I just really need a different GPU. Capped my frame rate to 30 to see if it's gonna be steadier.

I decided to switch to projectile characters for now.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

After meddling further with the framerate, I realized that I'm routinely dropping below said 40 FPS and further. It's either a summer issue or I just really need a different GPU. Capped my frame rate to 30 to see if it's gonna be steadier.

I decided to switch to projectile characters for now.
    What's your hardware?

27. - Top - End - #777
    Troll in the Playground

What's your hardware?
    CPU is AMD Athlon II X2 245 (2.90 GHz) and GPU is GeForce GTX 560. Got 4 gigs of RAM.

I can't think of anything other than this being a CPU issue.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Symmetra+Orisa+Basketball=fake Reinhardt?
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

There is no default cap. The game detects your monitor and it's refresh rate. On the resolution list you can see that for each resolution there is a number in parenthesis, that's the refresh rate. Considering the server is 60Hz tick, one might say the lower bound of fps is 60fps actually. Otherwise they'd just pay for 30Hz servers instead if they expected people to play at 30fps.

As for aiming... I really don't get the differences in "wrist" versus "arm" or whatnot. I have a high enough accuracy with anything not scoped so I don't see a reason to try lowering sensitivity. Plus I don't play enough hours per day to need to worry about any injuries(then again, I use a computer setup where my mouse is at waist height, so maybe that alters things?).
    One part I just don't comprehend is the concept of going past your target with high sensitivity? I've never had that happen much.
    The only main change lower sensitivities provide me is making it harder to keep up with faster targets, not having my aim move faster than them.
    Like... my issue with Widowmaker is less an aim one and more her scoped view being too small of an area. I have a much higher long range accuracy with McCree than Widow.
    Tracking targets will obviously become harder at low sensitivity if you don't change your motions, and there's a limit to wrist aiming screen radius, which becomes much more evident at lower sensitivities. Aiming with both allows you precision aiming in a small region as well as the ability to react to things happening around you and to targets closer to you.

While some heroes benefit from it more, the net positive is pretty much universal. And as a complete aside you are not supposed to be permanently scoped or in close range as Widow. You look for targets unscoped, find target, scope, shoot, move/reposition. She's not supposed to have a full degree of freedom while zoomed.

A frame-rate higher than your monitor's refresh rate absolutely IS a waste, and so is having a monitor with a higher refresh rate than 60hz. Why? Because the server's tick rate is 63 hertz. In short, your computer won't get more granular information than that with which to display the target's position and momentum. I agree that with a low framerate, you're effectively losing milliseconds off your reaction time, and may be misdirected by unpredictable motion of your target. However, you have to take these things in context. The drop from 60Hz to 40Hz is only 5 milliseconds per frame. Average human reaction time is ~250 milliseconds. The fastest a non-sniper Hero can kill their target is 500 milliseconds (McCree double-tap). What's 5 milliseconds compared to that?
    Higher framerates DO have uses. Yes the server is not updating faster, but the game DOES extrapolate movement, and even without that you still have a smoother experience on your own movement and aiming. The benefits above 60fps are not as noticeable as the jump from 30Hz to 60Hz but they are still there.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

CPU is AMD Athlon II X2 245 (2.90 GHz) and GPU is GeForce GTX 560. Got 4 gigs of RAM.

I can't think of anything other than this being a CPU issue.
    I'm not sure how well Overwatch takes advantage of multithreading, but I suspect you're right.

In any case, I'd suggest that you're in the market for some big upgrades. Your video card is 6 years old, your CPU (and probably your mobo & memory). Moore's law isn't on the 'every 2 years' tempo quite anymore, but I think it's safe to say that the power of a new system you'd buy today should easily exceed 4 times your current one. Is your current rig a desktop or a laptop? If you've got a desktop system, you can yield substantial upgrades without replacing too many components:

Motherboard, CPU, RAM, SSD, Video card. If your house environmentals are unpredictable (I'm in an apartment with no A/C, for example), a water-based cooler is a good investment, and a new power supply is also usually a good idea (crummy power can damage your new gear).