New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Please post in the new thread, thanks in advance.

Welcome to the third LA-assignment thread!

For people confused about this thread's purpose, see here.

The archive has a list of all creatures and templates reviewed up to this point. Links to earlier threads can also be found there, as well as a brief explanation of some of the terminology used in this thread.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2018-03-03 at 03:20 PM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Satyr

The third thread already? You've goat to be kidding me.

Satyrs have 5 fey RHD (bad with good skill points). Their ability scores are bland: they get a flat +2 to every stat but strength, which stays where it is. They're slightly faster than humans, have low DR overcome by cold iron weapons, get Alertness as a bonus feat and have one natural attack. They also receive bonuses to a few skills, some of which are actually quite useful.

However, all that simply isn't worth filling a quarter of your build with subpar RHD. Satyrs simply can't really do anything that's worth the investment. -0 LA.

Satyr with pipes

This pseudo-variant can create Fear, Sleep, and Charm Person effects as a standard action that affect all creatures in a large area, but while immunizing your allies is easy they're low-level spells one easily gains immunity to. Still a -0, but one that's just barely not worth playing.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-08-02 at 02:32 AM.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Concur with -0.

Honestly, I'm not all that sure that Pipes are really worth a +0. Sleep is useless. Charm Person is still moderately useful, but at level 5, non-humanoids start becoming more common, plus it's a Mind-Affecting effect. Fear is a mind-affecting fear effect, and all the downsides inherent there - namely just how many entities are immune and how easy it is to get immunity and/or significant save bonuses, but for those vulnerable, it can be useful. On the upside as a (Su) effect, the DC should scale decently.

Satyrs just don't have enough magical ability to compensate for their lack of nonmagical ability (or vice versa, as one prefers).
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

I think Charm Person and Fear at will is worth +0 at level 5. They can still be good in many situations, and Charm Person even more outside combat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

• Medium fey; 5 RHD (poor BAB, two good saves, 6 skill points/HD [quadruple at 1st); 40 ft move; +4 natural attack bonus; 1 natural attack; Dex +2, Con +2, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +2 (net +8 to ability scores). Aside for the RHD, not terrible, but not great either.
    • Solid skill list; +4 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, and Spot checks; Alertness as a bonus feat; proficient with the short bow. With 5 RHD and poor BAB, your best role is probably skillmonkey. You won't suck at it, but you won't be as good as someone without RHD.
    • DR 5/cold iron - not bad, but quickly becomes less relevant at mid levels; Pipes - can produce two 1st level and one 4th levels spell effect as an Su ability, at will; Sleep is garbage at mid levels; Charm Person is effectively Mass due to the AoE, so not too shabby; and Fear isn't too bad; unfortunately immunity to Charm and Fear effects becomes more and more common, and your charm is useless on anything other than Humanoids to begin with. On the plus side, not blocked by SR.

Pros: minor ability boosts, pipes that can produce some OKish effects, +4 natural AC and minor DR.
    Cons: 5 RHD.

I think you could do OK as some kind of skillmonkey - I mean, losing 5 class levels hurts, of course. Your pipes are going to start losing relevance at anything above low-mid levels. I don't think you suck enough for LA -0, so I'm voting LA +0.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

First, thanks for choosing my idea! I wasn't expecting it to be so popular!

As for the Satyr, sounds right to me.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Won't bother with a full breakdown, since there aren't really too many ambiguities. Fey HD are low (d6), have terrible BAB, two good saves and a large number of skill points. The Satyr's skill list is decent. The pipes will mostly be useful at 5th level, but will quickly lose significance due to immunities and an increased chance of running into non-humanoids. LA -0 seems fine for non-pipes, and LA 0 with pipes is also good.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

8. - Top - End - #8

-0 seems fitting to me. Agree.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, a bunch of status-effect abilities that largely follow the videogame trope of being a waste of your turn to activate, plus an assortment of minor stat and skill buffs, all supported - or rather undermined - by 5 laughable RHD. Seriously, with the reputation fey creatures have in most mythology as beings not to be messed with, why are fey HD so terrible? An equal-HD commoner could probably beat the average fey into the ground in a straight brawl.

LA -0, even with the pipes.

10. - Top - End - #10

MonkGuy

I agree , -0 even with the pipes. The satyr just won't hold up his end of the party.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Tagging in for thread-watching.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Fey are just weird creatures in D&D. They aren't usually enemies and even when they are, they tend to be annoyances more than deadly.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Fey are just weird creatures in D&D. They aren't usually enemies and even when they are, they tend to be annoyances more than deadly.
    Often true, but then, the appropriately named Murderjack.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Definitely -0 for either. The ability to use some third-rate abilities which you would already know if you'd had the temerity to be a bard, let alone a real caster, even at will, is not enough to save the fact that you spent 5 levels doing nothing useful.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Definitely -0 for either. The ability to use some third-rate abilities which you would already know if you'd had the temerity to be a bard, let alone a real caster, even at will, is not enough to save the fact that you spent 5 levels doing nothing useful.
    I don't know, Mass Charm Person is pretty good at level 5 and you are starting at level 5, you don't have to play the other 4 levels because it's RHD, not a class.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Wristlet Eater View Post
    I don't know, Mass Charm Person is pretty good at level 5 and you are starting at level 5, you don't have to play the other 4 levels because it's RHD, not a class.
    By "Spent 5 levels doing nothing useful" I mean "Spent [as in, the way you spend resources, not experience time] five of your levels [as in, the resource which a class level represents] doing nothing useful [doing nothing useful, such as aquiring real spellcasting]".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    By "Spent 5 levels doing nothing useful" I mean "Spent [as in, the way you spend resources, not experience time] five of your levels [as in, the resource which a class level represents] doing nothing useful [doing nothing useful, such as aquiring real spellcasting]".
    I would argue that even levels in a martial class would be superior to five levels of fey. At least you could swing a weapon and expect to hit something.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

LA of the pipes satyr changed to -0.

Extended signature!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    I hope you understand I'm not going to make heavy use of a houseruled mechanic that only functions properly if a few other important rules get altered as well. If you want negative LA in your games, be my guest, but I'm not going to implement it.
    I've considered doing some analysis on negative LA, but never got around to doing more than a couple monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Sanity View Post
    Seriously, with the reputation fey creatures have in most mythology as beings not to be messed with, why are fey HD so terrible? An equal-HD commoner could probably beat the average fey into the ground in a straight brawl.
    Doubt it. Fey might have a decent weapon proficiency, probably have better ability scores, and definitely have a hit point or so per HD up on the commoner.
    Besides, the Fair Folk weren't dangerous because they punched people real good. They were dangerous because they were cunning, eldritch, and amoral.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Sea Cat

I'm just going to borrow some first-grade snark from this brilliant article here.

Oh my, as sea cat and a sea tiger...these are most definitely not related to the incredibly lame sea lion. Nope. These are totally different and definitely not revamped versions of something Timmy drew after recess one day. I wonder if little Timmy got to design any other monsters?
    So yeah, sea cats. They're basically what you'd expect: magical beasts with a moderate amount of HD (6, to be specific), the old claw/claw/bite set of attacks, and a reasonable rake ability that can only take effect when both claws hit.

Ability scores are okay, with the familiar high-strength, high-constitution, average-dexterity pattern accompanying an abysmal intelligence.

Sea cats, however, greatly diminish in usefulness once one takes a closer look at them. Their swim speed is 40 feet, which is decent, but their land speed a mere 10. Furthermore, they can't actually breathe underwater; merely hold their breath for a dozen minutes or so. This means that a sea cat can only properly function in aquatic environments where it still can surface a few times each hour. That means no underwater caverns, no plane of water, and absolutely no solid ground, which is obviously a giant limiter on in what situations sea cats are desirable characters.

To be honest, I think -0 LA is okay here. Limited range of adventuring locations aside, sea cats aren't that competitive when compared to other, similarly-leveled magical beasts. Owlbears, for example, have strictly better stats and one less HD, and manticores have flight, as well as superior ability scores.

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. I'd totally forgotten that they were even in the MM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Yikes -0 indeed.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread III: Now in HD!

Spoiler
    Show

• Large magic beast (no reach); 6 RHD (full bab, 2 good saves); move 10 ft/swim 40 ft; +8 natural AC; 3 natural attacks; Str +8,. Dex +2, Con +6, Int -8, Wis +2 (net +10, but -8 to Int hurts); decent melee chassis, but very limited by environment.
    • Small skill set; -8 to Int; racial bonus to swim; lets face it, skills just aren't your thing.
    • Hold Breath - so, you're not even truly aquatic; Rend - nice, as it goes; darvision, low light vision, scent - your senses are quite impressive.

Pros: good physical stats, decent natural AC, rend and scent
    Cons: your land speed sucks, massive hit to Int, and even if the campaign is entirely aquatic, you'll have to come bobbing up to the surface on a regular basis.

All in all, I'm in agreement with LA -0.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Another creature that perfectly fits the 'monster' bill; just more cannon fodder with claw/claw/bite. It sucks too much to play as, but it can annoy some hp out of a player for a few seconds.

Without derailing too much, is the sea cat even a useful creature? 40ft is actually sort of a slow swim speed, so I don't know if they are even a fearsome predator compared to other aquatic animals. I think sharks and porpoises can swim at 60ft, so there's not much a sea cat can really take down. Are there any creatures that could ecologically support a large, slow seagoing predator?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Colossus in the Playground

Why is this even a magical beast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Same reason as owlbear

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There used to be three creature types in 3.0: Animal (real world animals), Beast (dire animals, dinosaurs, and fantasy beasts without magic; the Beast type had better BAB(?), saves and HD than Animal), Magical Beast (creatures with explicit magic powers).

In 3.5, this was condensed to two. Dires and such went to Animal, while fantasy critters of any sort became Magical Beasts. Roc and a few other outliers remained animals, but it separated by mainly what a Druid could affect/control/turn into.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Most, if not all, creatures of the Animal type are creatures that exist, existed, or would plausibly fit in Earth's evolutionary history. Or are close.

I suppose this "Sea Cat" is a bit too far away from being historically plausible. At least, for whomever was involved in creating it.

But seriously, the line(s) between the "Animal", "Magical Beast", and "Vermin" creature types can get blurry around the edges at times.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, there's always stupid exceptions like Roc (or Battletitan) being an animal...

3.0 also had the Beast type, just to muddy the waters a little more.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Yep, there's always stupid exceptions like Roc (or Battletitan) being an animal...

3.0 also had the Beast type, just to muddy the waters a little more.
    Actually, Beast type made things clearer. As mentioned, it's for dinos and Dire creatures. Big, beefy animals that deserve to be big and beefy mechanically, therefore getting different HD to make it so.