New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Re: Prestige Class Contest Chat Thread I

Phwew, Hedge Mage is harder then I expected... Working out a mechanic that will allow them to still counterspell (since they only get 0-4th.)

I assumed PEACH-ing was fine.

Hey Ani, hope you don't mind but I had a few ideas for your PrC you could add on... or not at your preference
    Spoiler
    Show

just an idea, but what about an enhanced bonus to strength and movement speed when you shrink (think ant man style) So say, 3rd you ignore the strength penalty from it, and gain a competence bonus on checks equal to your X. At 6th level you add X/X of your level as an __ Bonus to strength, and at 9th ?

You could also give them the ability to ignore crit/SA immunity when they are small (finding that perfect spot, however you want to fluff it.

Also, I would give them the ability to SA any enemy they are occupying a space with (think ant man going super small and just wrecking shop), after all you will lose reach and what not as you shrink...

As is it is kind of static, you want to put some juicy bits in there, besides "you can go smaller". I would suggest adding a capstone, and not requiring trap sense... most rogues trade it away.

EDIT: I would change the skill points to 8+int, keeping with the rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Oh, boy. Little Things is the theme? The Wasp is really simple... Basically the core function of Rogue with a size reduction ability on top. Not that that's all that bad, but I started churning ideas of considerably higher complexity... basically instantly. Book of Vile Darkness derived casting progression shenanigans, minor magic item mass production, low-level spell focus, undersized grappling expert... I could expand these into outright twenty level base classes, if I wanted, but kinda prefer the simplicity of PRC design. You don't need it to cover a wide stretch of the game with the abilities, but can instead tie those abilities into pre-existing ones to offload most of the versatility onto the base class.

I suppose I'll work on the first outline of the Hive Mind based PRC. Because Vermin Lord is too abusable, thanks to the rules it gives access too, and I hate the pile of concepts they made Evil-only in BoVD. Now, do I want 1/2 or 1/3 casting per "integrated" Swarm HD...
    Yeah, some of the things in BoVD were annoying, but then so was ancestral relic in BoED, after all why can't I have an evil aligned family heirloom? . Your class sounds interesting, good luck!
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-10-18 at 07:00 AM.
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

there I am done with mine

for those wondering how it fits the theme you start out stealing little stuff, then...

also this is the first homebrew thing that I have ever done, so please excuse any bad wording.

P.S. do you think mine it too powerful?
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Love to see what you enter.
    well you can go see now, I have been working straight from when I said that I would like to try my luck
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Gary View Post
    there I am done with mine

for those wondering how it fits the theme you start out stealing little stuff, then...

also this is the first homebrew thing that I have ever done, so please excuse any bad wording.

P.S. do you think mine it too powerful?
    Well, here is my 2 cp

peerless pickpocket: I would make this level*2 and a competence bonus.

I like this: I would rephrase it to say he can replace a umd check with a sleight of hand. ig he fails he must wait until he gains another rank in sleight of hand until he can try again (or just use the penalties (if any) of UMD)

easy casting: o would just say light armors for the first one, and give a different ability for the next.

they never saw it coming & nohing is sage: these are great.

arcane lifting: I would cut this down to the spell level x2 (x3 if illusion)

I also rewrote they never saw it coming so it would be easier to read:

They Never See it Coming (Ex): When you use sleight of hand your opponent does not counter wit a spot check, instead they use a slight of hand check.

Note: Baby Gary and Ani, you both forgot ex, su, sp tags for you class abilities.
    If you need advice for the tags use the below link
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spe...ities_Overview

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

5. - Top - End - #35

Well, here is my 2 cp

peerless pickpocket: I would make this level*2 and a competence bonus.

I like this: I would rephrase it to say he can replace a umd check with a sleight of hand. ig he fails he must wait until he gains another rank in sleight of hand until he can try again (or just use the penalties (if any) of UMD)

easy casting: o would just say light armors for the first one, and give a different ability for the next.

they never saw it coming & nohing is sage: these are great.

arcane lifting: I would cut this down to the spell level x2 (x3 if illusion)

I also rewrote they never saw it coming so it would be easier to read:

They Never See it Coming (Ex): When you use sleight of hand your opponent does not counter wit a spot check, instead they use a slight of hand check.

Note: Baby Gary and Ani, you both forgot ex, su, sp tags for you class abilities.
    If you need advice for the tags use the below link
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spe...ities_Overview
    thanks! I meant to change the multiplier for peerless pickpocket and for Arcane Lifting, I just forgot about it.

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #36

BlackDragon

Is it too late for me to join this competition? I have a pretty cool idea in mind for a Reduce person based Caster prc, though I woulds like to know if the comp is still open before I do anything more concrete.
    Last edited by Coretron03; 2017-10-18 at 06:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

thanks! I meant to change the multiplier for peerless pickpocket and for Arcane Lifting, I just forgot about it.
    No problem, happy to help
    Quote Originally Posted by Coretron03 View Post
    Is it too late for me to join this competition? I have a pretty cool idea in mind for a Reduce person based Caster prc, though I woulds like to know if the comp is still open before I do anything more concrete.
    The contest does not end till next month, (17th) so yeah plenty of time to enter. Good luck with your entry!

My entry will be delayed somewhat (was going to post it tomorrow, but you all will have to wait until next week, as my SD card I had it on literally melted

Oh well.

Extended Signature

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whoop, finally home and getting onto the computer (work was exhausting...)

Hey Ani, hope you don't mind but I had a few ideas for your PrC you could add on... or not at your preference
    I'd love to hear them, I honestly didn't think much about it besides: Little thief = Best thief

Just an idea, but what about an enhanced bonus to strength and movement speed when you shrink (think ant man style) So say, 3rd you ignore the strength penalty from it, and gain a competence bonus on checks equal to your X. At 6th level you add X/X of your level as an __ Bonus to strength, and at 9th ?
    ...How the heck did ant man not cross my mind? I watched that movie not to long ago to boot. Yeah that sounds like a good idea. They already keep their normal movement so I can imagine that they'd get a stacking bonus to movement similar to the monk's or barbarbarian's that works with all forms of movement. EDIT: They already ignore the reduction to their strength score, but probably should get the bonus to dex...

You could also give them the ability to ignore crit/SA immunity when they are small (finding that perfect spot, however you want to fluff it.)
    Funny, that makes complete sense but it never crossed my mind. Maybe also give the ability to treat all melee attacks as touch attacks when below a certain size due to Shadow of the Colossus-style hijinks?

Also, I would give them the ability to SA any enemy they are occupying a space with (think ant man going super small and just wrecking shop), after all you will lose reach and what not as you shrink...
    Huh, that makes a good amount of sense and I was tempted to just give them their reach as normal but felt that was too cheesy.

As is it is kind of static, you want to put some juicy bits in there, besides "you can go smaller". I would suggest adding a capstone, and not requiring trap sense... most rogues trade it away.
    Good point, also I've always kept trap sense when playing a rogue. Not sure why, but I just like the idea behind it even if it's not too good mechanically.

EDIT: I would change the skill points to 8+int, keeping with the rogue.
    Forgot that rogues were 8+int skills, thought they were 6 and didn't even bother to check.
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2017-10-18 at 08:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    Whoop, finally home and getting onto the computer (work was exhausting...)

I'd love to hear them, I honestly didn't think much about it besides: Little thief = Best thief

...How the heck did ant man not cross my mind? I watched that movie not to long ago to boot. Yeah that sounds like a good idea. They already keep their normal movement so I can imagine that they'd get a stacking bonus to movement similar to the monk's or barbarbarian's that works with all forms of movement.

Funny, that makes complete sense but it never crossed my mind. Maybe also give the ability to treat all melee attacks as touch attacks when below a certain size due to Shadow of the Colossus-style hijinks?
    That would be pretty powerful, I would make an ability that lets you do that or sneak attack, so you can't SA and touch, but it is your class :P

Huh, that makes a good amount of sense and I was tempted to just give them their reach as normal but felt that was too cheesy.

Good point, also I've always kept trap sense when playing a rogue. Not sure why, but I just like the idea behind it even if it's not too good mechanically.
    You can trade trap sense to ignore (partially; 1/2) SA immunity. the idea? I'll agree it is interesting, but in execution? Doesn't work so well.

Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #40

That would be pretty powerful, I would make an ability that lets you do that or sneak attack, so you can't SA and touch, but it is your class :P
    Gonna add them as two separate abilities that can't be used together normally, with the capstone allowing them to be added together. Also, Wasps already don't take the penalty to strength, but they don't get the bonus to dex though.

You can trade trap sense to ignore (partially; 1/2) SA immunity. the idea? I'll agree it is interesting, but in execution? Doesn't work so well.
    Very true.
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2017-10-18 at 08:34 AM.
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Also, Wasps already don't take the penalty to strength, but they don't get the bonus to dex though.
    My bad

Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #42

My bad
    It's alright, I've modified the ability so that they do get the bonuses to dexterity, I should have the new version ready to PEACH soon.

EDIT: The New version is up and ready to be PEACHed
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2017-10-18 at 09:15 AM.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Phwew, slammed out my Hedge Mage, going for t2 if not t1 power wise (And only 4th level casting too) :P

Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

It's alright, I've modified the ability so that they do get the bonuses to dexterity, I should have the new version ready to PEACH soon.

EDIT: The New version is up and ready to be PEACHed
    You asked for a peach, here goes:

Ant strength: Is the first strength bonus supposed to be active all the time or only while shifting down?
    The strength bonuses on this are pretty high, at 9th level:
    you have +4 (half level; you round down unless stated otherwise),+8 (shrink), and then whatever yo have from your dex mod for a total of 12+ (not to mention the +8 you have to dex while shrinking)
    so let's assume an elf (they get dex bonus, and I hate playing human b/ it's always "oh they get a bonus feat, skill points; hell even 5e kept the feat, albeit as a variant ) with a starting dex of 18, and a 12 in str at 9 levels with this, and they are not using anything else to increase the scores So your dex is 28(+8 from shrink; so +9 modifier), and a str of 28 i think (+4 dex, +4 level, +8 shrink). Note this is w/out magic, with magic you could throw in an easy +6 on both as an enhancement, then get another +5 inherent... you see were this is going right?

I would remove where dex increases str (a +4 just there), and make the 1/2 level an inherent (thus if you took a theoretical "10th" level in epic it would cap nicely at +5) and the shrink an enhancement. You'll still get some high numbers but you won't be as high.

The Bigger they are: Looks nice

pinpoint+tiny terror: I would make this chosen at the beginning of each round, every attack allows more combat versatility (which is nice) but slows turns in combat

puny power: why are you even requiring a check? I mean 5/squares? it should multiply not divide by the number of squares between

Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #45

Ant strength: Is the first strength bonus supposed to be active all the time or only while shifting down?
    The strength bonuses on this are pretty high, at 9th level:
    you have +4 (half level; you round down unless stated otherwise),+8 (shrink), and then whatever yo have from your dex mod for a total of 12+ (not to mention the +8 you have to dex while shrinking)
    so let's assume an elf (they get dex bonus, and I hate playing human b/ it's always "oh they get a bonus feat, skill points; hell even 5e kept the feat, albeit as a variant ) with a starting dex of 18, and a 12 in str at 9 levels with this, and they are not using anything else to increase the scores So your dex is 28(+8 from shrink; so +9 modifier), and a str of 28 i think (+4 dex, +4 level, +8 shrink). Note this is w/out magic, with magic you could throw in an easy +6 on both as an enhancement, then get another +5 inherent... you see where this is going right?

I would remove where dex increases str (a +4 just there), and make the 1/2 level an inherent (thus if you took a theoretical "10th" level in epic it would cap nicely at +5) and the shrink an enhancement. You'll still get some high numbers but you won't be as high.
    Only while shifting down and yes I do and will tone it down when I get back from work tomorrow, as of right now I'm too tired to fix it.

The Bigger they are: Looks nice
    Awesome

pinpoint+tiny terror: I would make this chosen at the beginning of each round, every attack allows more combat versatility (which is nice) but slows turns in combat
    Yeah, I was debating that myself honestly.

puny power: why are you even requiring a check? I mean 5/squares? it should multiply not divide by the number of squares between
    The jump check is to make sure you even hit the guy you're aiming for. And it does multiply, or at least it's supposed to. The DC is... broken because I forgot to add the "10+" part in. Great... The DC is supposed to be 10 + 5 for each square between the opponent you're currently on and the one you're aiming for.

Will fix that part right now.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Only while shifting down and yes I do and will tone it down when I get back from work tomorrow, as of right now I'm too tired to fix it.

Awesome

Yeah, I was debating that myself honestly.

The jump check is to make sure you even hit the guy you're aiming for. And it does multiply, or at least it's supposed to. The DC is... broken because I forgot to add the "10+" part in. Great... The DC is supposed to be 10 + 5 for each square between the opponent you're currently on and the one you're aiming for.

Will fix that part right now.
    They're only suggestions, in the end it is your class

Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

@nothingabnormal: the class is looking good*, just found a small detail: you forgot to add what metamagic twist does.

I still haven´t started work in mine but I already got the idea for it, going to make a spore related class, using them as a means of attack and defense not sure if it´ll have any spellcasting tied to it but I think I´ll make it more mundane for now.

*this goes for everyone else too, I´m seeing lots of great classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    @nothingabnormal: the class is looking good*, just found a small detail: you forgot to add what metamagic twist does.
    Thanks, I'll add the ability.
    EDIT: added it.
    I still haven´t started work in mine but I already got the idea for it, going to make a spore related class, using them as a means of attack and defense not sure if it´ll have any spellcasting tied to it but I think I´ll make it more mundane for now.
    Hmm, sounds good. Don't worry about not starting it, you have 'til the 17th and if it comes don to it I'll give an extra week or two.
    *this goes for everyone else too, I´m seeing lots of great classes.
    Yeah, voting is going to be... hard
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-10-18 at 11:06 AM.

Extended Signature

19. - Top - End - #49

They're only suggestions, in the end it is your class
    I know, I just don't want an insane amount of power even if it is reminiscent of Ant Man

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    the class is looking good*
    *this goes for everyone else too, I'm seeing lots of great classes.
    Danke schiene!

I still haven't started work in mine but I already got the idea for it, going to make a spore related class, using them as a means of attack and defense not sure if it'll have any spellcasting tied to it but I think I´ll make it more mundane for now.
    I can't wait to see it.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

20. - Top - End - #50

with a quick skim over hedge mage I have a couple things that I would like to point out. One, you didn't list the class skills, two, you might want to say you can not cast spells 5th level or higher, you just said that you can't cast 5th level spells

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

with a quick skim over hedge mage I have a couple things that I would like to point out. One, you didn't list the class skills, two, you might want to say you can not cast spells 5th level or higher, you just said that you can't cast 5th level spells
    Slams head against chair, I always forget skill list
    Will fix it tomorrow

Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #52

mmmmm.... quick thing. wrong thread, the thread for submissions is here

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #53

Core, wrong thread, use the submission thread for the posting.

EDIT: Whoop, ninja'd
    Last edited by Aniikinis; 2017-10-18 at 09:15 PM.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

24. - Top - End - #54

BlackDragon

My bad, Posted it in the right thread.

Anyway, Please PEACH if you can, I don't do Homebrew too often and would like to get better at it. My main concern is is that I overtuned the Packed skin damage reduction.

Edit: looking over The Hedge Witch table I can't seen to find openminded on it, which also means the level that you get it isn't shown.
    Last edited by Coretron03; 2017-10-19 at 06:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Coretron03 View Post
    My bad, Posted it in the right thread.

Anyway, Please PEACH if you can, I don't do Homebrew too often and would like to get better at it. My main concern is is that I overtuned the Packed skin damage reduction.
    Well, here goes:
    1) You can get in a level earlier then most PrC's. Not a bad thing necessarily, but if you wanted to make it 5th make the skill ranks for knowledge and spellcraft to 8

2) Skills, you have some copy/paste cling on.

3) Personal adjustment: when you reduces someone's skim. Did you mean skin?

4) I would also rephrase personal adjustment (something like this, no changes, just easier to read): When you cast a reduce spell you can choose for it to also effect you.

5) Packed Skin: I would make this DR/- equal to your your class level, then within the capstone double it ( DR10/-) is not gonna do much at high levels. also Admantite should be Admantine

6) Faster. Smaller, Stronge: I would put the one's you can choose from either in a list or italicize the names (more of a readability thing)

7) Focused Effect: At higher levels can I quarter it? Make it single target? (To shrink even farther?)

The class looks nice!
    Edit: looking over The Hedge Witch table I can't seen to find openminded on it, which also means the level that you get it isn't shown.
    Add tables on to the list of things that are the bane of my life homebrew, that and skill lists ><
    It'll be updated (looks around) uhm, sometime

Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #56

Alright, fixed the Ant Power class ability a little.
    Assuming the elf from before, at level nine:
    they have have +4 (half level; you round down unless stated otherwise),+4 (shrink), and then the +2 from dex equalling a +10 bonus to their strength score not including stat boosting items. However they would only be able to use the total of this bonus for up to 68 minutes per day (7.5 minutes per level at a 4 size category decrease), meaning that the bonus ranges from +7 to +10 based on how dire the situation and can only be used for slightly more than a quarter of the day at the very most before becoming relatively useless for the remainder of the time.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Alright, fixed the Ant Power class ability a little.
    Assuming the elf from before, at level nine:
    they have have +4 (half level; you round down unless stated otherwise),+4 (shrink), and then the +2 from dex equalling a +10 bonus to their strength score not including stat boosting items. However they would only be able to use the total of this bonus for up to 68 minutes per day (7.5 minutes per level at a 4 size category decrease), meaning that the bonus ranges from +7 to +10 based on how dire the situation and can only be used for slightly more than a quarter of the day at the very most before becoming relatively useless for the remainder of the time.
    sounds good!

Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #58

I just (well not just... it was last night) fixed up the things the NothingAbnormal pointed out. does anyone else have any criticisms or suggestions for this PrC?

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I just (well not just... it was last night) fixed up the things the NothingAbnormal pointed out. does anyone else have any criticisms or suggestions for this PrC?
    I'd give them something in that empty level, as it kinda hurts... They do not even get extra spells... Kind of a boring level if you are playing at low levels.

Extended Signature

30. - Top - End - #60

@Ani

Stinging Strike: At level 9, you may use Tiny Terror and Stinging Strikes together.
    I think you meant Pinpoint Strike, not Stinging Strike

Extended Sig