New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 22373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General Anime/Manga Discussion 14: Second Cour

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Megumi hasn't won a single time in this entire series. This was to be her moment. It could of been really cool.

It doesn't FEEL like Souma had to put out much effort because the only reaction Satou got was sending the judges flying with his sword. It had no real build up and was overall rather weak a showing from this guy.

Also this is just personal but I feel Momo's dish was actually just really really ****ty? I love puff pastries and I'd have to see how it works out in real life but the entire point of an iron chef like fight is to bring out the flavor of the ingredient chosen. Momo didn't do that, she brought out the power and flavor of the rose petals. Apple was just kinda also there. Meanwhile Megumi's was completely dedicated to the apple. Also I don't care how good the pastry is, nothing beats a ****ing pancake sandwhich.
    Wow... I was not aware her track record was that bad... It seemed to me it was somewhat decent.
    Hm... I'd say without having actually tasted either it's hard to decide. But I'm very willing to admit you have a good point there.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    That's the problem, if the series was bad from the start, that wouldn't be so horrible. But the first ~16 episodes were legit good. Shame about the rest.
    Ah, I was wondering why that show seemed to have vanished off the internet.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Bugbear in the Playground

Was recently reminded of the manga Zombie Powder. Man that was a fun comic, it still bums me that it didn't manage to go anywhere and had to be ended prematurely despite being created by the guy who did Bleach.

Question for you all.
    Since I know this happens a lot, what are some of the anime and manga that never got a proper conclusion?
    As a fan of anime it's actually a huge annoyance how often they make an anime based off a manga (which in turn is often based off a light novel) and the anime basically just ends up as something of a tease saying "Just letting you know that there is a lot more to the story after this... but this is all we are going to show you". Or alternatively, when an anime or manga is 'ended' but in a way where it's obvious it was meant to go on longer but was cut short.

Anime wise 'No Game No Life' comes to mind, where they make a big deal about conquering all the other races but end things after literally just meeting the first non-human representative...

As for manga, I have a manga I really like that is probably a bit obscure called Mx0 about a boy who accidentally stumbles on a school for magic and has to pretend to be a top-ranked student despite no actually having any magical ability. The manga basically covers his first year and keeps talking about how when students graduate the top students basically get a wish granted for them (which for the main character would be not to have his mind-wiped ad retain the memory of his experiences at the school) which was implied to be the end-goal of the series... only the manga instead ends abruptly after their first year with him transferring away to be entered into a different school entirely to be taught magic properly so he would no longer have to fake it...
    I still think it would make for a good anime, but given the manga ended over ten years ago it's not something I would hold my breath over...

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Since I know this happens a lot, what are some of the anime and manga that never got a proper conclusion?
    Too many to list. Some of it may be that nothing more has come yet, but even discounting those and the ones that got a hasty end, far, far too many.

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ogre in the Playground

No Game No Life appears to be one of those light novel adaptations that are intended as promotion for the light novels themselves more than anything; they often have trouble getting additional seasons made even if they're fairly successful. A third season of Konosuba is similarly unlikely to come around soon. (Madhouse also seems to have a thing for making one very successful season out of a property, then not continuing it. One Punch Man, for instance, is reportedly getting a second season, but switched studios to do it.)

As far as anime or manga that actually ended, School Rumble comes to mind for me. As far as I'm aware the author just lost interest.

I was always a little bummed by the ending to Ranma 1/2. That final panel of Akane and Ranma holding hands is probably still better than many other series of the same kind can come up with, though.

Then again, sometimes you get endings that are so fundamentally broken that you'd have preferred a rushed non-ending or even a cliffhanger. The ending of the Karin manga was like that.
    This signature is boring. The stuff I write might not be. Warning: Ponies.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Ettin in the Playground

Claymore's anime is a solid example. (In my opinion, though, the manga dragged on too long, so...split the difference?)

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Question for you all.
    Recent shows I enjoyed:

Haganai: Introduced a major plot point like two episodes before the end of the second season, and never made a third season.

Is this a Zombie?: Lots of unexplored backstory involving Eucliwood, the usual "which girl will he end up with", the main villain never really even being conflicted with. I guess I can hold out hope for a third season, but not really expecting it.

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Colossus in the Playground

Was recently reminded of the manga Zombie Powder. Man that was a fun comic, it still bums me that it didn't manage to go anywhere and had to be ended prematurely despite being created by the guy who did Bleach.

Question for you all.
    As a fan of anime it's actually a huge annoyance how often they make an anime based off a manga (which in turn is often based off a light novel) and the anime basically just ends up as something of a tease saying "Just letting you know that there is a lot more to the story after this... but this is all we are going to show you". Or alternatively, when an anime or manga is 'ended' but in a way where it's obvious it was meant to go on longer but was cut short.

Anime wise 'No Game No Life' comes to mind, where they make a big deal about conquering all the other races but end things after literally just meeting the first non-human representative...

As for manga, I have a manga I really like that is probably a bit obscure called Mx0 about a boy who accidentally stumbles on a school for magic and has to pretend to be a top-ranked student despite no actually having any magical ability. The manga basically covers his first year and keeps talking about how when students graduate the top students basically get a wish granted for them (which for the main character would be not to have his mind-wiped ad retain the memory of his experiences at the school) which was implied to be the end-goal of the series... only the manga instead ends abruptly after their first year with him transferring away to be entered into a different school entirely to be taught magic properly so he would no longer have to fake it...
    I still think it would make for a good anime, but given the manga ended over ten years ago it's not something I would hold my breath over...
    Barrage of the Battlestar deserved to go longer than it did. Same with Cross Manage.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally gotten around to watching Nichijou. Mio is adorable and I love her.

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Firbolg in the Playground

****ing Shaman King: Hana. It's really good. Hiroyuki Takei just has no luck. He used to be AA level shonen mangaka, but none of his manga since the original shaman king seems to gain much ground, which is a shame. Despite his sometimes weird pacing, has this distinct weirdness and twists on his premise and setting (You thought Karakuridouji Ultimo is straightforward shonen battle!). And Shaman King Hana is really good, great sequel to Shaman King (this is how you make a second generation manga, not to mention how I really like the original main pairing of Shaman King), and ended when it was at its high point.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Recent shows I enjoyed:

Haganai: Introduced a major plot point like two episodes before the end of the second season, and never made a third season.

Is this a Zombie?: Lots of unexplored backstory involving Eucliwood, the usual "which girl will he end up with", the main villain never really even being conflicted with. I guess I can hold out hope for a third season, but not really expecting it.
    While I'm inclined to agree with these two, if what I've heard of later goings-on in Haganai is true, we saved ourselves a lot of rage and heartbreak by not getting any more.

12. - Top - End - #1392

Y'all need to read Promised Neverland so I can have people to talk about Promised Neverland too. It's responsible for one of the most genuinely evil and fascinating antagonists (just introduced in this arc) and his name is just Lewis.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hello friends. We still like ordered lists, right?

My top ten for the year is probably
    10. Scum's wish
    9. Symphogear s4
    8. ACCA
    7. Owarimonogatri s2
    6. Little witch academia
    5. March comes in like a lion s1
    4. Eccentric family s2
    3. Land of the Lustrous
    2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo s2
    1. Made in Abyss

However, I still need to finish/ catch up on Dragon Maid, Tsuki ga Kirei, Sakura Quest, welcome to the ballroom, Fate Apocrypha, Princess Principle, The Reflection, Just Because, March comes in like a lion s2, BBB&B, new kino's journey, ancient magus's bride, recovery of an mmo junkie, and girls last tour.

I think a couple of those have a chance of bumping out shows in the bottom 3, but the top 7 are pretty much set

14. - Top - End - #1394

Y'all need to read Promised Neverland so I can have people to talk about Promised Neverland too. It's responsible for one of the most genuinely evil and fascinating antagonists (just introduced in this arc) and his name is just Lewis.
    It's pretty great. The thing that really catch my interest, most apparent in he first part, though also in general, is how good the feeling of despair the manga have, for lack of better word. For me it's because how "close to earth" their problems are. I mean, if you read a manga where the heroes have to jump over a ten thousand feet mountain, it's over the top that you don't feel the despair the characters have. But if they have to jump a ten feet wall, you understand that it's really possible to reach, so you despair for it. And it that sense, how accomplished you feel when they manage to jump over it.
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-12-24 at 08:14 PM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1395

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    It's pretty great. The thing that really catch my interest, most apparent in he first part, though also in general, is how good the feeling of despair the manga have, for lack of better word. For me it's because how "close to earth" their problems are. I mean, if you read a manga where the heroes have to jump over a ten thousand feet mountain, it's over the top that you don't feel the despair the characters have. But if they have to jump a ten feet wall, you understand that it's really possible to reach, so you despair for it. And it that sense, how accomplished you feel when they manage to jump over it.
    God I know right. I love it. I wish more people read the series so we could talk about it.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Ogre in the Playground

God I know right. I love it. I wish more people read the series so we could talk about it.
    I started reading it.
    I'm half-way through chapter 24.
    OH MY GOD IT'S INTENSE and it's not even anything specific that's going on, it's just that it stays so intense. It just keeps raising the stakes. There's a screw, and it keeps turning and turning and turning, and it never loosens, there's never a break to catch.

Speaking of breaks, this is probably the first time in my life I've had to take a break from a manga just to get a breather. I just can't keep reading this on a single sitting. This didn't happen even with BioMeat, which was shock and horror, or when I read Worm, the (it got worse)(it got worse) the novel. I mean, there are many works that are too long to consume in a single sitting, but now I actually have to take a break to calm down.

Thanks for the recommendation.

17. - Top - End - #1397

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    I started reading it.
    I'm half-way through chapter 24.
    OH MY GOD IT'S INTENSE and it's not even anything specific that's going on, it's just that it stays so intense. It just keeps raising the stakes. There's a screw, and it keeps turning and turning and turning, and it never loosens, there's never a break to catch.

Speaking of breaks, this is probably the first time in my life I've had to take a break from a manga just to get a breather. I just can't keep reading this on a single sitting. This didn't happen even with BioMeat, which was shock and horror, or when I read Worm, the (it got worse)(it got worse) the novel. I mean, there are many works that are too long to consume in a single sitting, but now I actually have to take a break to calm down.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Glad you're enjoying it!

I don't think the screws ever stop. It's...REALLY intense.

18. - Top - End - #1398

That's basically my reaction as well. As I said, I think it's because how "down to earth" the problems are (eventhough the premise isn't) but the stakes are so high, so the cat and mouse keikaku battle between geniuses feels much more intense than say, code geass or death note. I forgot the part about where the intensity is keep increasing and the screw keep turning.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1399

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    That's basically my reaction as well. As I said, I think it's because how "down to earth" the problems are (eventhough the premise isn't) but the stakes are so high, so the cat and mouse keikaku battle between geniuses feels much more intense than say, code geass or death note. I forgot the part about where the intensity is keep increasing and the screw keep turning.
    The best part about the battles of wit in the Promised Neverland is that they make our super smart characters realistically smart. This isn't some "Light has this extremely over elaborate plan to **** over L" situation, we have a pretty clear tell on how smart our characters are, and what they are really good at and what they are really bad at. Mom is powerfully smart, but as impervious as she is even she has weak points. And our heroes are hella flawed cause at the end of the day they ARE kids.

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Ogre in the Playground

It's time for my quarterly game of "Which anime am I watching this season?" again. This last season I either didn't play properly or just got unlucky and only pulled one hit (Netjuu no Susume), so I'm doing my best to stay on top this time.

I'm up to three this time around:

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san: I love the manga of this, and the anime is pretty much a 1:1 adaptation so far, with all advantages and disadvantages - it's just as funny as the manga, but it also has the same stories that the manga does. In the pilot, at least - let's hope for some anime-original material.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho: Absolute top drawer animation. It has an original premise and it looks like it's going to be perfectly executed. Cannot recommend it enough (for all the two episodes I've watched)!

Citrus: I'm going to love this one, I'm pretty sure. It double-dips into the "forbidden love" barrel by not only featuring a lesbian couple, but a lesbian couple of (thankfully, only very recently assembled) stepsisters. One of them has big-time emotional issues (because love stories are boring if there's no work to be done), but the other one (who's the protagonist) seems pretty fun so far.

I also watched one episode of Ryuuou no Oshigoto. I only read the premise, and what I was hoping for was kind of like a Hikaru no Go (Except it's Shogi). I got... well. You know how when you watched Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon you were very grateful that they managed not to cross any lines with Kanna? That she's a kid, and the only one who lusts after her is another kid, and it's puppy love so it's okay? This one... crosses lines.

I also tried to watch Slow Start, but it looks like one of the less interesting high school slice of life moes I've ever seen, and there was only so much gratuitous rhythmic boobie-bouncing I could take.

I hear Violet Evergarden is supposed to be really good, so that's what I'm watching next. If you've tried to watch something so far that I didn't list, I'd be glad to hear your take on it!
    Last edited by Silfir; 2018-01-10 at 03:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
    Eh, this one didn't really do it for me. Mostly because the spin-off where they have a kid is the same thing over again, and I realize whathisface is a total masochist with no brains.

Sora yori mo Tooi Basho:
    Backgrounds are amazing but the characters are too flat and shiny, causing a serious visual disconnect for me. Only seen one episode, may watch more.

Citrus
    I started on the manga but it didn't catch my interest. Probably give this one a miss.

Cardcaptor Sakura- Clear Card Arc
    CLAMP: You know how you really liked CCS?
    Audience: yeah, that one was super cute and fun
    CLAMP: and how we gave you a second story arc that was basically the same as the first, only shorter and less interesting?
    Audience: um, yes?
    CLAMP: well, here we are again with the same thing for a third time
    Audience: ....
    Audience: eh, Sakura is still cute and big bro is still awesome. Let's see where it goes

Chou you Bing
    If you liked the parody aspect of Excel Saga or Bikini Warriors, this isn't as good but still manages to be amusing. Pokes fun at fantasy, primarily. Crap animation quality.

Still watching Mahotsukai no Yome. Very enjoyable.

I'll check out a few others in time.

22. - Top - End - #1402

I'm sorry but why aren't any of you watching Pop Team Epic.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

That's on the 'get around to it' list.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Anyone else following Relifes ending? Not sure how they can deliver on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Anyone else following Relifes ending? Not sure how they can deliver on this.
    I expect it will either be an arsepull 'you two get to keep your memories afterall' or the two will meet up afterwards (maybe with string pulls of their handlers) and restart their relationship from scratch.

The entire premise of the story raises so many questions, like how they can age a person exactly 10 years younger - why not more? How the drug would be super useful for certain things, why you can't extend the reduction span, how they can so precisely remove the memories of people and why this isn't used for more lucrative or important issues (national security, for instance), etc, etc. etc.
    It has likeable people - especially Hishiron - but those questions get me every chapter.
    Last edited by BWR; 2018-01-12 at 01:29 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1407
    Ogre in the Playground

On the list of the top 100 ways to tell you're absolutely, definitely not "with it" -

Watching an episode of this and thinking "I'd much rather be watching that idol show" has got to be up there.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

So I've checked out a few more

Violet Evergarden
    In not-Europe in the wake of not-WWI, some special forces girl who only knows how to follow orders is trying to learn how to be a Real Boy girl. Art and animation is lovely, and unlike that Antarctica one the character art doesn't clash with the backgrounds. Not sure if the story and characters will be worth it, but I'll give it a few more episodes.

Killing Bites
    Therianthropes are used as pit fighters for giant companies. The guys are genuinely bestial in their battle forms, girls are, naturally, still mainly human with a few odd tufts of hair, tails and kemomimi. And giant boobs. A generic bunch of characters, but the MC isn't a high-school student, and the main girl has to take care of him against her will, so it's not the most cliche set-up, just close to it.
    I doubt I'll bother watching another one.

Beatless
    Rogue AIs escape. Obviously, they are all shaped like hot young scantily-clad chicks with oversized weapons. MC is a high-school student living alone with his little sister and had a thing for the lesser humanoid AIs that abound in society, and of course one of these robot chicks saves his life and wants him to become her new owner, because 100% autonomous AIs need owners. Combat, cliche and primitive discussions about the nature of true sentience. Looks like something between Chobits and GitS. The world-building is, apart from the robot chicks, quite fascinating. A lot of thought has been put into how increasing automation and computer power will affect life. It remains to be seen if they have truly done their homework, but it looks promising. I'll be keeping an eye on this show for the background stuff alone.

Hakumei to Mikochi
    Slice of life of two cute little girls living in the forest. Eh, maybe. Certainly not offensive unless unrelenting cutseyness is offensive, but not particularly interesting so far.

Toji no miko
    Something something, cute girls fighting aliens, magic school, duels, or something. I think. I lost interest rather early on.

Märchen Mädchen
    Magical girl, magical school, special book, running around naked. Another one in the 'eh, maybe' category. I'm more interested to see this take on magic than anything else.
    Last edited by BWR; 2018-01-13 at 01:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san
    Eh, this one didn't really do it for me. Mostly because the spin-off where they have a kid is the same thing over again, and I realize whathisface is a total masochist with no brains.

Never read the spinoff but it is by a different author so I wouldn't hold it against the original.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ogre in the Playground

It has the author's endorsement, and there's nothing that happens in the spinoff that you can't see coming crystal clear from reading the original series.

Ultimately it's just a different take on the Peanuts comic strips about Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. You know he never will, but every time you want to see how he's tricked into going for it another time. (Of course, Peanuts had more than just the one gag.)

The dramatic irony of the series is that Nishikata could get the better of Takagi-san anytime - all he'd have to do is actually make a move on her, because she's clearly, hopelessly, head over heels for him. (Of course, from reading the spinoff you get the impression that he somehow went through marrying Takagi and fathering a child with her without actually realizing this, ever.)