New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece V: Black Leg Wedding

Spoiler
    Show
    I do like how everyone's strategy seems to be "knock her into the water" because...I mean she IS a devil fruit user, that's just smart thinking.

Also god does anyone remember how Dragon has lightning powers due to his storm fruit? I ask this because the art of people getting struck by lightning in this looks really really gross and incredibly graphic compared to other art in One Piece and I'm fully expecting this to be a sort of preview for when he shows up. Practice to get the exact right feeling of "this person just got straight up ****ed by a lightning bolt".

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I really dont think you should say things like that. The nature of Dragons fruit is still not comfirmed. The only thing we so far have is rampant speculation. But this is OP. We might still be caught of guard when its finaly revealed.

thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, if we're talking about visuals of people getting hit by lightning...Enel already happened. Brook is officially the second SH member stated to have electricity immunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. undead immunities does also rock, especially when there are no priests around

I mean.. no vital organs.. so &¤% it arrows and knives!
    No muscle.. so %#¤ lightning as well!
    No nerves/blood, so suck it poison gas!
    And no physiology, so cold should not have an effect either.

5. - Top - End - #515

It will be nice to have another member for the monster set. Jinbe is going to be an interesting fit considering he is more experienced than the entire crew combined at being a pirate and such. But another thing I like is it pretty firmly establishes the rest of the crew (or at least the trio) as firmly warlord levels themselves since they arent really put to shame by jinbes presence. Its not like having bruce lee join your cobra kai tournament team, its more like bruce lee joining the expendables cast. He fits in with everyone else.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

It will be nice to have another member for the monster set. Jinbe is going to be an interesting fit considering he is more experienced than the entire crew combined at being a pirate and such. But another thing I like is it pretty firmly establishes the rest of the crew (or at least the trio) as firmly warlord levels themselves since they arent really put to shame by jinbes presence. Its not like having bruce lee join your cobra kai tournament team, its more like bruce lee joining the expendables cast. He fits in with everyone else.
    Yeah.. and i guess its why he had to join so late. Jinbei is at the end of his journey. It hardly makes sense for him to get any more serious power boosts. So the crew did need to get a little further down along their own path, before Jinbei could fit in with them.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The real question is what wacky traits will he gain as a crew member? Sanji went from a brokenly normal ladies man to the nose bleed king, Zoro went from a likable sword guy to Mr. Grim and Lost, so I imagine Jinbei will get some weird trait to balance him being too perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    No nerves/blood, so suck it poison gas!
    I'm not so sure about that.
    Wasn't our friend with the weight-problem affected by knock-out gas at some point.

Okay, it shouldn't kill him, but that doesn't mean he won't be taken out.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #519

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    The real question is what wacky traits will he gain as a crew member? Sanji went from a brokenly normal ladies man to the nose bleed king, Zoro went from a likable sword guy to Mr. Grim and Lost, so I imagine Jinbei will get some weird trait to balance him being too perfect.
    Im guessing spending a surprising amount of time either swimming alongside the ship or in the bathing areas. I expect plenty of girl screeching as they go to take a bath only for him to pop out from underwater.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #520

We saw a bit of this back in Fishman Island arc. Jinbei is the Eternal Straightman. He will treat everything very seriously. Even goofy stuff.

"As such, this plan needs a code name. Because plans have code names."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-12-30 at 12:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Sanji were already more than just a normal ladies man when he joined. And the nosebleed thing were a brief affliction from after his ordeal during the timeskip. He eventually recovered from it.
    Zorro meanwhile might have become a little more Grim, but thats part of his character development. Of course he is not the same person who joined some.. 15? years ago. And it seems he do feel like he need to cover for his less than serious Captain.

I'm not so sure about that.
    Wasn't our friend with the weight-problem affected by knock-out gas at some point.

Okay, it shouldn't kill him, but that doesn't mean he won't be taken out.
    He was not just pretending because he could not win the fight alone?

12. - Top - End - #522
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

[QUOTE=lord_khaine;22707401]Sanji were already more than just a normal ladies man when he joined. And the nosebleed thing were a brief affliction from after his ordeal during the timeskip. He eventually recovered from it.
    Zorro meanwhile might have become a little more Grim, but thats part of his character development. Of course he is not the same person who joined some.. 15? years ago. And it seems he do feel like he need to cover for his less than serious Captain.
    /QUOTE]
    Early Sanji was actually quite suave, and after Alabasta becomes essentially hopeless (water city arc really starts his pervert phase).

Early Zoro laughed quite often, and was a remarkably normal person.

The development of the cast has been then slowly getting weirder to make them more distinct/balance their personalities. Especially Franky and Brook, who are freaking weirdos.

13. - Top - End - #523

[QUOTE=Tvtyrant;22708512]
    Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Sanji were already more than just a normal ladies man when he joined. And the nosebleed thing were a brief affliction from after his ordeal during the timeskip. He eventually recovered from it.
    /QUOTE]
    Early Sanji was actually quite suave, and after Alabasta becomes essentially hopeless (water city arc really starts his pervert phase).

Early Zoro laughed quite often, and was a remarkably normal person.

The development of the cast has been then slowly getting weirder to make them more distinct/balance their personalities. Especially Franky and Brook, who are freaking weirdos.
    Wait, you mean the undead singing skeleton and the speedo wearing cyborg were weird? Heh, what about chopper? I loved his reaction to being treated like a doctor. Like he was trying to be all tsun tsun about it but couldnt control his happiness or something.

14. - Top - End - #524

I wanted to ask something. Maybe I missed it in my scattershot watching of the series, but conquerors haki seems really strange. Its main purpose seems to be to knock out the scrubs in a general fight. But everyone treats it as this big deal when too be honest, most of the time thats not too impressive. Lets be real, in the fishman island battle, luffy took out like 50k troops with his haki and that was badass, but its hardly like he couldnt have taken that many out in short order through a variety of methods. However, seeing scenes like that, plus things like when luffy blocked doflamingo from stomping law, noone on that plateau was going to so much as flinch in the presence of that haki, so why use it? It made me wonder, what if that haki is almost like an ability modifier? I mean, what if it basically amplifies what the user is doing in addition to everything else. Two guys somehow have equal armament haki, one also has conquerors haki. When they collide, the one using both strikes harder and wins because that added to his strength. It would explain why they BOTHERED to use it against each other since neither was going to be knocked out by it like a scrub. Is this backed up in universe in any way? Is there any other explanation for why people treat being able to put down fodder as a big deal?

15. - Top - End - #525

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I wanted to ask something. Maybe I missed it in my scattershot watching of the series, but conquerors haki seems really strange. Its main purpose seems to be to knock out the scrubs in a general fight. But everyone treats it as this big deal when too be honest, most of the time thats not too impressive. Lets be real, in the fishman island battle, luffy took out like 50k troops with his haki and that was badass, but its hardly like he couldnt have taken that many out in short order through a variety of methods. However, seeing scenes like that, plus things like when luffy blocked doflamingo from stomping law, noone on that plateau was going to so much as flinch in the presence of that haki, so why use it? It made me wonder, what if that haki is almost like an ability modifier? I mean, what if it basically amplifies what the user is doing in addition to everything else. Two guys somehow have equal armament haki, one also has conquerors haki. When they collide, the one using both strikes harder and wins because that added to his strength. It would explain why they BOTHERED to use it against each other since neither was going to be knocked out by it like a scrub. Is this backed up in universe in any way? Is there any other explanation for why people treat being able to put down fodder as a big deal?
    It's not what it does, it what it represents. Conqueoror's Haki is otherwise known as the will of the king. It's not impressive because it takes out mooks that could otherwise be punched, it's impressive because it shows just how powerful they are in a simple and clear way.

Punching a bunch of people shows you are strong physically. Taking out all those people with just a glare shows how strong you are in your resolve.

16. - Top - End - #526

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It's not what it does, it what it represents. Conqueoror's Haki is otherwise known as the will of the king. It's not impressive because it takes out mooks that could otherwise be punched, it's impressive because it shows just how powerful they are in a simple and clear way.

Punching a bunch of people shows you are strong physically. Taking out all those people with just a glare shows how strong you are in your resolve.
    Ehhh, I guess, it still seems a little useless for being such a big deal. He might as well have set it up so everyone with the will of a king's hair grows in the shape of a crown of some sort. Just as defining of a feature, just as useful for anything other than declaring this dude has the will of a king. I just honestly expected a lot more from this super unique skill that can only be learned if you already have it and figured the idea of "It makes everything you do more effective" was an interesting one. For those who read the naruto fanfic of once again with a little extra help this time and its sequel, its basically presence.

17. - Top - End - #527

Ehhh, I guess, it still seems a little useless for being such a big deal. He might as well have set it up so everyone with the will of a king's hair grows in the shape of a crown of some sort. Just as defining of a feature, just as useful for anything other than declaring this dude has the will of a king. I just honestly expected a lot more from this super unique skill that can only be learned if you already have it and figured the idea of "It makes everything you do more effective" was an interesting one. For those who read the naruto fanfic of once again with a little extra help this time and its sequel, its basically presence.
    Think of it this way. What is more impressive, destroying a wall or ordering it to open for you and it just doing so?

18. - Top - End - #528

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Think of it this way. What is more impressive, destroying a wall or ordering it to open for you and it just doing so?
    Both are pretty impressive, when you have people who can casually put their fist through said wall, is it really any more impressive to order it to open instead? I mean, thats basically Bluenos devil fruit ability and that dude didnt even make it past enis lobby! Going back to fishman island for a sec. Luffy could have just as easily done an elephant gun whip move and wiped out all those soldiers in a single attack. In both cases we get to see him casually obliterate half of hodys forces in a single move. In the case of his haki though, its only really impressive because everyone is SAYING how impressive it is. Otherwise, I would have had the same response to either option in the fight. Both would be an effortless stomp of the enemy. Both would demonstrate how powerful luffy had gotten. Both would have had awestruck responses from the crowd.

19. - Top - End - #529

Both are pretty impressive, when you have people who can casually put their fist through said wall, is it really any more impressive to order it to open instead? I mean, thats basically Bluenos devil fruit ability and that dude didnt even make it past enis lobby! Going back to fishman island for a sec. Luffy could have just as easily done an elephant gun whip move and wiped out all those soldiers in a single attack. In both cases we get to see him casually obliterate half of hodys forces in a single move. In the case of his haki though, its only really impressive because everyone is SAYING how impressive it is. Otherwise, I would have had the same response to either option in the fight. Both would be an effortless stomp of the enemy. Both would demonstrate how powerful luffy had gotten. Both would have had awestruck responses from the crowd.
    I mean that's fair, but it's like...Blueno ate a devil fruit that let him do it. The wall opens up for Luffy because he just asked it hard enough. It feels like a different scale to me.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah.. i do agree on that, it seems like completely different things. Conquers Haki is impressive because of the person behind it, its not the person who are impressive because they have Conquers Haki.
    And Conquers Haki is then just a undeniable, unfakeable symbol, of just how much stronger the wielders ambition is, than everyone else.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I don't think you should underestimate the ability to just stare down an army of mooks into submission. Narratively he would have been able to take down easily no matter what anyway but strategically speaking if he had to punch them down that surely a handful of them should have rolled a nat20 on hit so to speak. Low risk vs no risk.

However, I can't help but feel you have some point. The Will of Kings sounds epic (and the idea that you were one of the chosen by birth is certainly something I can relate to) but an ability whose primary function (or even sole function up until this point) is to take down Mooks doesn't really do much for Luffy at this moment in time. Given that any fight of just some importance is between non-mook characters you'd hardly notice it if he didn't have the ability (except I guess for the fact that his ability to 'create allies' is said to part of The Will of Kings, though that being passive effect doesn't really help when it comes to showing just how good it is to be the king).
    Last edited by A.A.King; 2018-01-04 at 01:43 PM.
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's impressive because people say it's impessive" is correct, because to the One Piece World* inhabitants it's considered impressive.

First of all, it's not even that widely known what it is. Everyone knows you can punch people unconscious, and sure, punching 50000 people at once would definitely put people in awe. But with CH, unless you know what it is and know to look for the (very subtle) head tilt, 50000 people just lost consciousness for seemingly no other reason than that they thought about attacking a guy. Consider the first time we saw Shanks use CH on Whitebeard's ship before we got any explanation to what it was. As far as we could tell, people were just fainting around Shanks because he's that awesome.

Secondly, if you do know what it is, you also likely know it's a very rare skill that needs to be trained. Willpower, resolve and spirit are highly regarded attributes in One Piece World*. A large portion of the allies Luffy has, he has because they became impressed with his display of these attributes. The CH users are not only the ones-in-millions who have it, but the ones who know how to activate it have found a way to weaponize their very personality. When Jinbei comments "To think he made it this far in just two years", he's commenting on just huge Luffy's resolve has to be in order to use CH this effectively. And as lord_khaine pointed out, it's a status symbol that's almost impossible to fake. The only one we've seen manage it so far is Caesar, and that's because his scientifically augmented devil fruit is very impressive in it's own right. But an innate drive to conquer the world it's not.

And although it's purely fan speculation at this point in time, there is a possibility for additional benefits to be shown to us in the future. Right now, for example, a lot of people are speculating that
    Spoiler: "Current manga arc spoilers
    Show
    Luffy will be able to use CH to shaken Katakuri, thus breaking his concentration and defeating his OH.

*Does it have an actual name?
    Last edited by Cizak; 2018-01-04 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I mean, it's translated as Conqueror's Haki or King's Disposition, not Destroyer's Haki. It's meant to be a show of force, to assert dominance, to illustrate just how far below you "dude with X beri bounty" is.

Beating your future subjects half to death may work, but I'd definitely rather choose a nonviolent, non debilitating, but just as effective way to get them in line
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Question about Katakuri: is observation Haki different then hymns? They keep talking about him seeing the future, but with Enel they showed it was interpreting someone's intentions that proved the key to it. Is there something different going on that bouncing attacks doesn't hit him?

25. - Top - End - #535

He is probably just way better at it. Enel could only see so much, like how even though pica was using full body haki, zoro cut him down with ease. Enel was good enough to predict straightforward attacks, but not randomly ricocheting ones.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

Question about Katakuri: is observation Haki different then hymns? They keep talking about him seeing the future, but with Enel they showed it was interpreting someone's intentions that proved the key to it. Is there something different going on that bouncing attacks doesn't hit him?
    Mantra, not hymns and no. Observation Haki and Mantra are the same. Katakuri has just trained his so much that he can observe events and intentions before they do them.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Enel were likely a master of observation Haki, but it was commented on how even in a Emperors court Dogtooth still stands out with his transcendent skill in observation Haki.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Reguarding Conquerer's Haki:

I think the example would be better phrased like this.

What's more impressive.

A) Defeating an established and physically very large street brawler in a fight in which grapples and punches were exchanged and both sides took hits before you managed to overtake them.

B) Defeating that same opponent, in one attack because you were skilled enough that your first striking technique or grappling technique employed was able to incapacitate them so that they could no longer fight.

Or,

C) Defeating that same opponent, by glaring at them from across the room, and that glare and the will and intent your mentally putting behind it being so intense as to make them freaking faint, with out you have to so much as twitch a muscle.

As someone with some martial arts background, I'd go with C.

Also I subscribe to the theory that there are more advanced Conqueror's Haki techniques we've not seen yet. My money is on Shanks being the one to show them off down the road.

Anyway, a few more episodes in. And the Big Mom introduction was rather unnerving. Frankly with everything else thought I suppose if we were going to rule that a diplomatic solution was off the table, we needed something like this to firmly show her as evil. With out it, everything else could actually be excused, and with what were being told about her and what were seeing of her daughter, I'd say it's not impossible that she could have eventually become another ally. Maybe have her and Luffy find an uninhabited Island for the 2 of them or the 2 of them and there core crew members to have a privet brawl on just to see how they stack up relative to each other, because hey, pirates, but after that, I can see the room for it.

Of course now that we've also established she's genocidal over ridiculously minor things in the grand scheme of things, yeah, puts a bucket of water on that idea.
    "I Burn!"

29. - Top - End - #539
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

I'd also like to point out that much like the Will of D, people with Conqeror's Haki seem to almost invariably do as the name implies and become people of great power and influence, and many of them DO indeed become conquerors themselves. That's why the guys in the WG were so freaked out at the prospect of Luffy having it during the War, the thought that this insane kid that basically juked his way into this battle is also insane enough to potentially in the future become someone on the level of one of the Yonko was something they could not allow.

30. - Top - End - #540

I actually kinda like the idea of shanks being his final instructor in how to use conquerors haki. A sort of "Ok, you passed the final exam by getting here. Time to teach you what that special haki of yours can REALLY do." Maybe along with some sort of revelation that shanks could have become the pirate king, he just didnt want to. We have already seen various hints of just how strong he is. Mihawk used to treat him as a rival, he was able to make kaido back down about marineford, even with one arm he was able to end the war at marineford being pretty much the first and only time we have ever seen akianu back down in his pursuit of "absolute justice" Basically, everything we see him take seriously signifies that he is a real power, one that even the other yonko and marines are extremely wary of provoking. Not wanting to be king would also fit in well with his personality I think.