New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Odd Regional Phases and Expressions

The other day I was talking with my coworker on the direction that self-help books and counseling were steering me and how I wish I could move past going after dreams so I could focus more on doing something useful. He told me that dreams are important and anyone that thinks otherwise "can go butt a stump."

That's a saying that I've never heard before. "Butt a stump." Evidently it's an Okie expression, which I guess explains why I'd never heard it before. I'm still turning that phrase over in my head, wondering what its literal meaning, its origin and why people in Oklahoma use it. (If anyone knows, I'd be very happy if you told me.)

Does anyone else have a story of encountering an unfamiliar expression and being momentarily confused?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Odd Regional Phases and Expressions

Sounds like the meaning is 'run headfirst into a tree stump'.

Unfamiliar idioms occur all the time. We're just too old to remember how we were exposed to many of them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Sounds like the meaning is 'run headfirst into a tree stump'.

Unfamiliar idioms occur all the time. We're just too old to remember how we were exposed to many of them.
    I thought it was running butt-first into a tree stump. I'm not from Oklahoma, though, and I had never heard the expression before.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Does anyone else have a story of encountering an unfamiliar expression and being momentarily confused?
    That's a pretty common occurrence in german speaking countries. "School German" is relatively new in contrast to "Regional German", with each dialect having some old end deeply rooted connections to neighboring languages and dialects, often importing whole phrases. Half the time, I don't have the faintest clue what someone speaking in a foreign dialect means....

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Jor", for "you're" (I even received a note saying "Jor invited to a party".

When I was around 20 years old and visiting Goleta, California, a young lady pointed out to me and my friends (all from Berkeley, California) one of our idioms, "You guys say hella a lot".

"Hella", being a version of "Hell of", meaning "very" or "many", and until then I never noticed my common use of the term.

We also used "don't harsh my mellow", but always self-mockingly.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I thought it was running butt-first into a tree stump. I'm not from Oklahoma, though, and I had never heard the expression before.
    Like to headbutt something.

As a native Oregonian my local dialect is nearly dead. Our population roughly doubled since I was born, almost entirely from Californian migration.

So for instance "the mountain is out" to mean a clear day was common when I was a kid but is becoming less so over time.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2018-01-03 at 11:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    That's a pretty common occurrence in german speaking countries. "School German" is relatively new in contrast to "Regional German", with each dialect having some old end deeply rooted connections to neighboring languages and dialects, often importing whole phrases. Half the time, I don't have the faintest clue what someone speaking in a foreign dialect means....
    I know it might not make any sense to me, because y'know... German slang might not translate into English at all, but could you give a specific example?

Though that does remind me of a time when I was learning Spanish. Someone from my class was watching a Bolivian movie without English subtitles with his cousin who's Mexican. While my classmate isn't comprehending the movie all that well, his cousin is busting up laughing. My classmate assumed that it's because his cousin understands the movie better being fluent in Spanish, so he asked him, "What's so funny about this?"
    His cousin replied, "I'm laughing because I can't understand anything they're saying!"

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Like to headbutt something.

As a native Oregonian my local dialect is nearly dead. Our population roughly doubled since I was born, almost entirely from Californian migration.

So for instance "the mountain is out" to mean a clear day was common when I was a kid but is becoming less so over time.
    As for me, I don't think I'd say "the mountain is out" unless there were an actual mountain to point to. Though since Mount Hood is easily visible from the middle of Portland on a clear day there usually would be one.

I used to quote Tom Peterson commercials whenever a guy with a crewcut would walk past a window. Though as you mentioned, because of all the transplants, nobody gets stuff like that anymore.

A while ago my friend who was actually born in Salem brought up Tom Peterson. I was stoked that I had finally met someone who remembered him! ("Free is a very good price!")
    Last edited by The Fury; 2018-01-03 at 01:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As a Canadian, I have to mention "eh?". It's part of the contract.

A potentially more obscure one more common in Eastern Canada and in construction: someone who is lazy is called a dog f**ker. Don't ask me how that started, but it's there. Although only a hoser would use such slang in polite company.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    As a Canadian, I have to mention "eh?". It's part of the contract.

A potentially more obscure one more common in Eastern Canada and in construction: someone who is lazy is called a dog f**ker. Don't ask me how that started, but it's there. Although only a hoser would use such slang in polite company.
    We have plenty of Canadian-isms, many of which are specific to one region. But even here in MB, I've heard the dog one, though in a slightly different form.

Specifically, someone who's goofing off, or not doing what they're supposed to, is said to be off "f***ing the dog". Which I guess got shortened to just calling them a "dog f***er".

I could go on all day with Canadianisms, most of which are just names for things, rather than phrases. Like the "two-four", not to be confused with a "twofer".

Or just how to handle someone leaving their toque on the chesterfield when they went to the co-op down the road.

Although my favourite is the bunnyhug. Do you know what a bunnyhug might be? Guess! It is only called this in Saskatchewan, and some parts of rural Manitoba where the term has spilled over.

Give up?
    Spoiler: A Bunnyhug is...
    Show

A freaking hoodie.

Yeah. I don't get it either.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Specifically, someone who's goofing off, or not doing what they're supposed to, is said to be off "f....

.....Which I guess got shortened to just calling them a "dog f...
    I've heard the first term on construction sites in California, but not the second.

One (more polite) term that I've only heard on construction sites is to "wobble", which basically means to sabotage the work.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Although my favourite is the bunnyhug. Do you know what a bunnyhug might be? Guess! It is only called this in Saskatchewan, and some parts of rural Manitoba where the term has spilled over.

Give up?
    Show

A freaking hoodie.

Maybe it's because wearing one on a cold day is warm and cozy. Like getting a hug from a bunny? I'm only guessing.

12. - Top - End - #12

Calling hamburgers steamed hams.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Not in Utica.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

You call them that even though they are obviously grilled? OK.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

We have plenty of Canadian-isms, many of which are specific to one region. But even here in MB, I've heard the dog one, though in a slightly different form.

Specifically, someone who's goofing off, or not doing what they're supposed to, is said to be off "f***ing the dog". Which I guess got shortened to just calling them a "dog f***er".

I could go on all day with Canadianisms, most of which are just names for things, rather than phrases. Like the "two-four", not to be confused with a "twofer".

Or just how to handle someone leaving their toque on the chesterfield when they went to the co-op down the road.

Give up?
    Show

A freaking hoodie.

Since I am Albertan, I consider Manitoba to be "near East". :P I only gave the example I did because I find that I am always surprised at what phrases are only in Canada. I knew that one seems to be more common in in Canada than elsewhere.

The best thing about bunnyhugs is when you get rabbit hoodies. Then you have a bunny bunnyhug. You then go hug someone to give a bunny bunnyhug hug.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

He's a strange man, but he steams a good ham.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Not all hamburgers are grilled. Steamers are a thing. Also a meme.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-01-03 at 08:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    He's a strange man, but he steams a good ham.
    I also have the aurora borealis entire localized in my kitchen.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The best thing about bunnyhugs is when you get rabbit hoodies. Then you have a bunny bunnyhug. You then go hug someone to give a bunny bunnyhug hug.
    ...If any more cuteness were added to that, I think I would die of diabetic shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Not all hamburgers are grilled. Steamers are a thing. Also a meme.
    It says that they're primarily from Connecticut. Connecticut is weird.

This I've got to see!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Local Aussie one for you, "I'm not here to f@#k spiders". Basically means you're here to work, not mess around.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A Pennsylvania-ism I like to share is "red up" meaning to clean something. Presumably its short for "ready up", ie prepare. So someone would go down to the crick to get some wudder so they can red up the winders.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

I know it might not make any sense to me, because y'know... German slang might not translate into English at all, but could you give a specific example?
    German dialects are nearly untranslatable, often because they have their own grammar and syntax.

Lets use the Bavarian dialect as an example: This is heavily influenced by french grammar and syntax, so instead of using the formal german version of "you" = "Sie", you work more closely with the french "S´il", but attach the "´s" to the main word. The phrase "please come here" would translate to "Kommen Sie bitte her" in german, but "Kommen´s bitte her" in bavarian, or more precisely "Koam´s bittschö hea" or "What do you want?" / "Was wollen Sie?" to "Waos woin´s?". So, quite often, non-bavarians either feel not talked to, or feel disrespected because they expect to hear the formal "Sie" and don't find it.

Another oddity would be the the greater Berlin area. The grammar there makes frequent use of "on" instead of "to", so people wouldn't say "I go to work" (Ich gehe arbeiten), but rather "I go on work" (Ich gehe auf Arbeit), which is not like talking about an activity, but more like announcing a status.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country?

...May I see it?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-01-04 at 10:53 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

24. - Top - End - #24

DwarfFighterGuy

Maybe it's because wearing one on a cold day is warm and cozy. Like getting a hug from a bunny? I'm only guessing.
    Maybe? The term only dates back to around the 60s, provably, but there seem to be a few theories as to where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Slylizard View Post
    Local Aussie one for you, "I'm not here to f@#k spiders". Basically means you're here to work, not mess around.
    ...Australia is effing crazy, man. (I love it.)
    Last edited by ve4grm; 2018-01-04 at 10:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ex-South Carolinian here and I still confuse my friends from elsewhere with the occasional "Blessing his/her/their heart." While it may sound sweet it actually means something closer to "That person is acting like a moron."

I also still reflexively call people in authority "sir" or "ma'am" when I'm stressed out. I know a lot of non-Southerners find it more insulting than respectful but if I'm freaked out enough I forget.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Going to Buffalo by way of Cleveland" was one from my hometown (Erie, PA, located directly between those two cities). It meant, "doing an excessive amount of unnecessary work."

Another one happened to me when I moved to Washington, DC. I'd often hear people talking about going on a day trip to Boston. Confused me completely, until I figured out they were saying Ballston (a city in Virginia with a Metro stop).
    Last edited by Telonius; 2018-01-05 at 01:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm in "hon country." "Hon" is a perfectly appropriate, gender-neutral form of address to use for just about anyone.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cajun English. Some of these I only learned later in life were unusual. I still have a hard time imagining a world in which we don't say "why don't you get down with me?"

"Pass the mop" - mop/sweep the floor

"Come see" - come over here

"Save the plates" - put the dishes away

"Get down" - get out (of the car)

"Make groceries" - buy food

"Couillon" - an idiot

"Emmerder" - someone who's in everyone else's business. This is a verb in every other dialect.

And there are a bunch of extra names for all the animals too.
    CAELUM NON ANIMUM MUTAT QUI TRANS MARE CURRIT

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

I also do the "make groceries" or "make shopping" occasionally. I thought it was a rare but more generalized Southernism.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché View Post
    Ex-South Carolinian here and I still confuse my friends from elsewhere with the occasional "Blessing his/her/their heart." While it may sound sweet it actually means something closer to "That person is acting like a moron."
    I've never heard anyone say this without it sounding forced. To be fair, I also haven't been to the Carolinas.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2