New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default What are your favorite 1st level rituals?

It's just how it sounds, any class is ok in my book! Speaking of which, any source book is ok!

(This may or may not just be me picking out rituals for my tome pact warlock...)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: What are your favorite 1st level rituals?

Purify Food and Drink has a whole host of weird potential to it. Depending on how you define 'purify' 'food' and 'poison and disease', all sorts of minor miracles can be pulled off with this 1st level ritual. The most benign hack of this spell is using it to eat anything you can chew- topsoil is just fermented salad and a rotten corpse is sun-braised ribs. Combine with Prestidigitation and the world is your oyster- especially those icky oysters!
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Purify Food and Drink has a whole host of weird potential to it. Depending on how you define 'purify' 'food' and 'poison and disease', all sorts of minor miracles can be pulled off with this 1st level ritual. The most benign hack of this spell is using it to eat anything you can chew- topsoil is just fermented salad and a rotten corpse is sun-braised ribs. Combine with Prestidigitation and the world is your oyster- especially those icky oysters!
    And this is why I love D&D

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Not really my favorite, but my favorite in context would be Ceremony. Just because it amuses me that a warlock bound to a fiend can create holy water.

5. - Top - End - #5

Identify and Find Familiar, for sure.
    Tenser's Floating Disc could probably get some use too, of you're creative.
    Alarm around where you sleep is never a bad idea, either.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Find Familiar! I love familiars

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Detect Magic as a ritual has been extremely helpful. Water Breathing saved the party once or twice. Hut and Floating Disk are nice.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Find Familiar is supreme by far.

And of course Detect Magic & Identify are work horses.

But, I really like Comprehend Languages. Being able to read/understand any language can be very useful.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Alarm cast at the entrance to the dungeon crawl to make sure no one sneaks up behind you.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alarm, because f**k the Rogue trying to steal my stuff. I can take a lot of things before getting angry- but Rogues stealing from me just aggravates me to a level that nothing else will.

Rogue snipes a monster and then hides behind you so you draw aggro? Annoying but not mad.
    Rogue ditches you in combat because their character wouldn't fight a losing battle? Annoying but not mad.
    Rogue walks up to you, rolls stealth and sleight of hand which you have no chance in hell of beating, and then lifts the magical potion or throwing weapon you had on you? Mad.
    It's time for a preemptive retaliatory strike.

Original online work - I've Been Reborn as a Dungeon Monster?
    Tvtropes

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueKnightGuy

Floating Disk is one of those things that when you have it, you suddenly find lots of uses for it.
    Unseen Servant is like that too.

Identify and Detect Magic get used a lot, as well as Comprehend Languages.

Later, Water Walking, Tiny Hut, and Phantom Steed are handy.

Skywrite can be suprisingly fun, especially if you have another ally in your party who can cast it.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by SociopathFriend View Post
    Alarm, because f**k the Rogue trying to steal my stuff. I can take a lot of things before getting angry- but Rogues stealing from me just aggravates me to a level that nothing else will.

Rogue snipes a monster and then hides behind you so you draw aggro? Annoying but not mad.
    Rogue ditches you in combat because their character wouldn't fight a losing battle? Annoying but not mad.
    Rogue walks up to you, rolls stealth and sleight of hand which you have no chance in hell of beating, and then lifts the magical potion or throwing weapon you had on you? Mad.
    That sounds like a PvP issue, and something to be discussed OOC, during session zero.
    "You wanna play a Rogue? Cool. Just don't steal from the party. That's a **** move, and if you do it, your Rogue -WILL- have nasty magical 'accidents'. Understood? Good."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Absolute must-haves (for at least one party member):

• Detect Magic
    • Find Familiar
    • Tenser's Floating Disk

Good but not required:

• Alarm
    • Comprehend Languages
    • Speak with Animals

Beyond 1st level, I'm partial to:

• Animal Messenger
    • Augury
    • Feign Death
    • Leomund's Tiny Hut
    • Water Breathing
    • Divination
    • Commune
    • Commune with Nature
    • Contact Other Plane
    • Rary's Telepathic Bond
    • Forbiddance

The rest are situational enough that there is no rush to acquire them. Whenever I'm trying to find rituals for a Tomelock, I focus on the above list. Everything else is gravy.
    Last edited by Dyndrilliac; 2018-05-29 at 03:10 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Unseen servant. Mechanically Identify, Find Familiar, and Detect Magic are superior, but sitting in your room, chanting away as your clothes fold themselves, your letters copy themselves before being sent, and your floor sweeps itself up is such a great character aesthetic that I just can't give it up.

15. - Top - End - #15

On the basis that it allows my Rocker-Goliath to have an invisible Roadie, Unseen Servant is currently my favourite.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Unseen servant is probably my favorite. Ten minutes reading to accomplish an hour of chores is amazing.

Guiding hand from the UA: Starter spells can be plot-breaking and/or useful from different perspectives.

Find Familiar is great until your GM decides to start murdering all your owls.

Identity and detect magic are staples.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I have not really experienced the problem of a DM going out of his way to murder the familiars. Especially Owls with flyby. Sure they're gonna get killed sometimes, but if an enemy wastes his turn killing my owl, then that's one turn he didn't spend attack me or my friends. The Owl will be back by the end of the day anyway.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    And this is why I love D&D
    I've been thinking about this for a while, would you mind if I added this quote to my signature?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Now that magical items are more or less identified over a short rest, how much mileage are folks really getting out of Identify? I'm choosing initial rituals for a tomelock, and I was planning to eschew Identify for Detect Magic, Comprehend Languages, Find Familiar, Augury, and Animal Messenger (getting a few extra).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The most benign hack of this spell is using it to eat anything you can chew- topsoil is just fermented salad and a rotten corpse is sun-braised ribs.
    That is an astonishingly permissive interpretation of how that spell works.

My favourites are the ever popular Find Familiar and the slightly more niche Unseen Servant because making camp is for chumps who can't cast magic.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Contrast View Post
    That is an astonishingly permissive interpretation of how that spell works.

My favourites are the ever popular Find Familiar and the slightly more niche Unseen Servant because making camp is for chumps who can't cast magic.
    Yeah I know that playing with modern scientific ideas of what constitutes poisons, diseases, and food mulches a lot of cat girls, but even in the way that the same old piece of meat will get different creatures sick lends to the idea that decaying food is still food.

Also if you kill enough catgirls, you can then then press them into edible nuggets.

22. - Top - End - #22

cool Re: What are your favorite 1st level rituals?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunali View Post
    Not really my favorite, but my favorite in context would be Ceremony. Just because it amuses me that a warlock bound to a fiend can create holy water.
    I got to make a GOOLock of Shai-Hulud (nonhuman, alien, gigantic, eats humans, devastates planets-- I'd say "Ia")

Creating the water of life is just the first step in using Contact Other Plane to put myself into a trance and know the Present better
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Speak to animals.
    Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon- yes
    Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned- yes
    Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains- easily

Druids have spies everywhere.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Find Familiar
    Alarm
    Leomund's Hut
    Det Magic
    Identify
    TFD
    Unseen Servant (finest fun cheese spell in the game over four editions! :) )
    Magic Mouth (an underappreciated spell, I think)
    Water Walk/Water Breathing (makes waterborne adventures less of a pain in the butt)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2018-06-10 at 03:27 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I've been thinking about this for a while, would you mind if I added this quote to my signature?
    I don't mind at all, add away!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

smile Re: What are your favorite 1st level rituals?

Quote Originally Posted by that_one_kobold View Post
    I don't mind at all, add away!
    Thank you. My sig is starting to balloon a bit. Maybe I should go to that extended sig thing before too long.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

DM says to the rogue's player "hand me a copy of your character's stats... He's an NPC enemy now, roll a new character".

D&D is a team game, unless the rogue knew the potion was poisonous and couldn't tell you... That sounds like NPC/Antagonist bullcrap.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

After being stole from, my character fitted metal snaps that make an audible click sound when unsnapped to all of their sheaths and coin purses.
    My other character started carrying flour around for invisible things after they annoyed her. Lol

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticKitty View Post
    After being stole from, my character fitted metal snaps that make an audible click sound when unsnapped to all of their sheaths and coin purses.
    My other character started carrying flour around for invisible things after they annoyed her. Lol
    Why flour? Find that world's version of coke, when you hit an enemy tell the enemy a conspiracy and watch them tucker themselves out connecting strings in a room.

Side note, drugs don't exist in powdered form when I'm a player... Not because my friends outlawed it, it's a personal rule. Blocked off the exits of a town and then carpet bombed a town that had a channeling problem... When everyone was having withdraws we went in and grabbed the channelings... Turned out they were all changelings.