New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Banned

Planetar

Default Re: Simple RAW for 5e 4: Smackdown v. RAW

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Except there's no way to do that as a reaction, which is what you'd need if you're dropped on someone else's turn. You fall.
    There is nothing stopping you from doing that while you are grappled. You just cannot move due to Grapple setting your speed to 0.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q56:
    Can Shape Water be used to create a wall or hollow sphere around but not touching a creature?

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ogun View Post
    Q56:
    Can Shape Water be used to create a wall or hollow sphere around but not touching a creature?
    A56: Short answer: no.

Longer answer: kind of. But still not really.

Because Shape Water can only:
    You move the water, or change its flow, up to 5 feet in any direction. This movement doesn't cause damage.
    You cause the water to form into simple shapes and animate. This change lasts for 1 hour.
    You change the water's color or opacity. This change lasts for 1 hour.
    You freeze the water, provided there are no creatures in it. The water unfreezes in 1 hour.

If you cast this spell multiple times, you can have no more than two of its non-instantaneous effects active at a time, and you can dismiss such an effect as an action.
    In theory, if the DM AND whatever creature you attempted this on allowed it, you could spend one round shaping water to a hollow sphere around a creature (assuming they are within than the 5 cubic foot limit) or forming a wall of water in a creatures path, then freeze the sphere/wall on the subsequent round. But, bear in mind, the frozen sphere/wall would not be strong enough to keep anyone from easily destroying the barrier should they wish to.

If it could make a proper barrier it would say so and give stats to that effect, like Wall of Ice.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q56:
    Can a Chainlock with an Imp and Voice of the Master see through all magical darkness?

5. - Top - End - #155

Q56:
    Can a Chainlock with an Imp and Voice of the Master see through all magical darkness?
    A57: When he using his action to view the world through his imps eyes... yes.

But that's it.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Doesn't Voice of the Chain Master gives you abilities independent of the Find Familiar spell?
    It doesn't reference the text of the spell at all.
    No mention of being blind and deaf to your own senses, no mention of requiring an Action.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

Planetar

Doesn't Voice of the Chain Master gives you abilities independent of the Find Familiar spell?
    It doesn't reference the text of the spell at all.
    No mention of being blind and deaf to your own senses, no mention of requiring an Action.
    You can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar's senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. Additionally, while perceiving through your familiar's senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.
    No? It would take a wilful misreading of 'perceiving through your familiars senses' to mean the same thing as 'You gain all the senses of your familiar'.

My understanding of it is that only the limitation on the Range of Find Familiar is removed, while adding on the ability to Speak through it.
    Last edited by Kadesh; 2018-08-26 at 03:10 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Here is Crawford's ruling on this matter:

link
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Crawford
    Voice of the Chain Master enhances the find familiar spell, which otherwise works as written for the warlock.
    link
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Crawford
    Voice of the Chain Master extends the range of the link w/ a familiar, but you still take an action to use it.
    Which was my reading as well.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Ok, thank you!

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Except there's no way to do that as a reaction, which is what you'd need if you're dropped on someone else's turn. You fall.
    A54: Yes, there is. You can ready a grapple attempt.

Powers &8^]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q57: If you take the Attack action on your turn, Shield Master feat lets you shove as a bonus action. Can I take the bonus action in the beginning of the Attack action and try to shove them first?
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2018-08-28 at 06:10 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned

Planetar

A57
    https://mobile.twitter.com/jeremyecr...300736?lang=en

Clarification about bonus actions: if a feature says you can do X as a bonus action if you do Y, you must do Y before you can do X. For Shield Master, that means the bonus action must come after the Attack action. You decide when it happens afterward that turn.
    #DnD

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Q58

Does the +2 to hit from the Archery fighting style apply to thrown weapons? Also, does it apply to ranged uses of the net (which is categorized as a ranged martial weapon)?

14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned

Planetar

A58
    "You gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls you make with Ranged Weapons."

"A melee weapon is used to Attack a target within 5 feet of you, whereas a ranged weapon is used to Attack a target at a distance."

"A weapon that can be used to make a ranged Attack has a range in parentheses after the Ammunition or thrown property. The range lists two numbers. The first is the weapon’s normal range in feet, and the second indicates the weapon’s long range. When attacking a target beyond normal range, you have disadvantage on the Attack roll. You can’t Attack a target beyond the weapon’s long range."

You get the bonus to attack with a ranged weapon, this includes thrown weapons.

When they are used to make a melee attack, they are a melee weapon and do not recieve the bonus to hit.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Halfling in the Playground

Q59

So i noticed in Xanthers Guide that the Half-Elf / Elf feats were pretty distinct on letting you know that they could be picked by one or the other or Both, So does this mean that Half-Elfs Cannot take Human or Elf feats correct? and im assuming the same would apply if you use a half-elf variant to pick like drow, you still cant take drow feats as you are not a Full Elf Drow?

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zertryx View Post
    Q59

So i noticed in Xanthers Guide that the Half-Elf / Elf feats were pretty distinct on letting you know that they could be picked by one or the other or Both, So does this mean that Half-Elfs Cannot take Human or Elf feats correct? and im assuming the same would apply if you use a half-elf variant to pick like drow, you still cant take drow feats as you are not a Full Elf Drow?
    A59
    Correct.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q60
    Order of initiative
    Enemy A
    Me
    Friend
    Enemy B

First round of combat: enemy A cast sleep on me and succeed. Friend uses its action to awaken me

Can I act in the first round of combat?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Q60
    Order of initiative
    Enemy A
    Me
    Friend
    Enemy B

First round of combat: enemy A cast sleep on me and succeed. Friend uses its action to awaken me

Can I act in the first round of combat?
    A 60
    No, but you can take reactions once awoken. Your turn is past by the time you wake up.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 60
    No, but you can take reactions once awoken. Your turn is past by the time you wake up.
    Had I rolled a lower initiative score, could I have acted?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Myth27 View Post
    Had I rolled a lower initiative score, could I have acted?
    Follow-up to A 60: Yes. As long as you haven't taken your turn before you are awakened, you can act normally. That's the risk of such spells--if you mis-time them due to initiative, they're less useful.

For example, if the order were

Shield Master
    Enemy
    Ally

and the shield master shoves the enemy prone, they can just stand up on their own turn and the shove doesn't help the ally (although it might help the SM himself). If it were

SM
    Ally
    Enemy

then the ally gets a turn where the enemy is prone.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q61:
    Will Planar Binding work on a Familiar?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Banned

Planetar

A61 Yes.

Letters.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kadesh View Post
    A58
    "You gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls you make with Ranged Weapons."

"A melee weapon is used to Attack a target within 5 feet of you, whereas a ranged weapon is used to Attack a target at a distance."

"A weapon that can be used to make a ranged Attack has a range in parentheses after the Ammunition or thrown property. The range lists two numbers. The first is the weapon’s normal range in feet, and the second indicates the weapon’s long range. When attacking a target beyond normal range, you have disadvantage on the Attack roll. You can’t Attack a target beyond the weapon’s long range."

You get the bonus to attack with a ranged weapon, this includes thrown weapons.

When they are used to make a melee attack, they are a melee weapon and do not recieve the bonus to hit.
    A58

I'm going to disagree. Ranged weapons are those weapons listed as "Simple Ranged Weapons" or "Martial Ranged Weapons" on the weapon table. Daggers and tridents and the like are melee weapons with the thrown property; nets are ranged weapons with the thrown property. The fact that the two are different is evidence that the thrown property doesn't turn a melee weapon into a ranged weapon; all it does is allow you to make a ranged attack with a melee weapon (or without ammunition in the case of the net).

As written, then, the only thrown weapon to which the Archery style applies is the net.

Powers &8^]

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Q62 I'm a monk who is multiclassing to Fighter. Does the Dueling fighting style affect my unarmed strikes?
    Q62b Assuming all other factors qualify, do the Dueling fighting style and the Martial Arts class feature affect thrown weapons like the dagger or the handaxe when they're thrown?
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2018-09-01 at 09:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Q62 I'm a monk who is multiclassing to Fighter. Does the Dueling fighting style affect my unarmed strikes?
    Q62b Assuming all other factors qualify, do the Dueling fighting style and the Martial Arts class feature affect thrown weapons like the dagger or the handaxe when they're thrown?
    A62 No, Dueling states that when wielding one melee weapon you get a bonus to damage for that weapon. If you were holding a shortsword in one hand, Dueling would give +2 damage to attacks with the shortsword, but not your unarmed strikes.
    A62bEverything in Martial Arts works for thrown weapons, as they are still melee weapons even when thrown. As for Dueling, probably not since Dueling applies while "you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons", and at the point in time when a thrown weapon is dealing damage it's no longer in your hand.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leogobsin View Post
    A62 No, Dueling states that when wielding one melee weapon you get a bonus to damage for that weapon. If you were holding a shortsword in one hand, Dueling would give +2 damage to attacks with the shortsword, but not your unarmed strikes.
    Q62 Clarification
    I was more wondering if it triggered while completely unarmed. No short sword, no spear, no handaxe or dagger. Just, completely naked Monk/fighter in a prison fight ring without a shiv.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2018-09-01 at 11:09 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Q62 Clarification
    I was more wondering if it triggered while completely unarmed. No short sword, no spear, no handaxe or dagger. Just, completely naked Monk/fighter in a prison fight ring without a shiv.
    Nope. In that situation you'd be wielding no weapons whatsoever, and so not wielding a melee weapon in one hand.
    Last edited by leogobsin; 2018-09-01 at 11:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

BardGuy

Q63: Are there any classes other than the ones in the Player's Handbook and maaaaybe the Artificer from UA? I'd heard that there were more, but quick Googling is failing me.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    Q63: Are there any classes other than the ones in the Player's Handbook and maaaaybe the Artificer from UA? I'd heard that there were more, but quick Googling is failing me.
    A63 official base classes? No. There are subclasses published in SCAG and XGtE, but so far only the 12 base classes are official.
    Last edited by PhoenixPhyre; 2018-09-01 at 08:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 64

Is the 4 hours Elf Trance count as a long rest or do they still need to do nothing for 4 more hours?

I ask for RAW only and I will like to know the sources if you have them as I wasn't able to find it.

Thank you in advance for the help :)