New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Wouldn't it be easier to determine the range the worm can see invisible creatures and take that as the maximum distance they were 'spotted'?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to determine the range the worm can see invisible creatures and take that as the maximum distance they were 'spotted'?
    Sure !
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee's Ye Olde SRDe
    See Invisibility

You can see any objects or beings that are invisible within your range of vision
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #213
    Colossus in the Playground

It doesn't have a range cap - if you can see the creature, you can see the invisible creature at the same distance.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Sure !
    Ah, I thought it had Blindsight or True Seeing rather than innate ability to ignore invisibility specifically.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus_Maximus View Post
    If we can calculate the height of the dwarves in #1155 (which can be derived from Exarch*'s height, which can be derived from Durkon*'s height when they met) then we could estimate the width of the bridge (a major point of reference in the larger cave) and then use #1159 to see how far away the far door is by scaling the width of the bridge (which appears to be the same throughout) between the close end of it and the far end of it.

My personal estimate is "roughly 50-60 feet" from one end of the bridge to the other and Haley and V are a bit into the room already so I'd cut off another 10-15 feet, putting him at ~8th level. I'm sure we'll get more from him later that'll make it far more definitive.

Not to mention the use of the Gate Scroll- which, I'm not the most familiar with 3.5- would his confident use of it without expectation of failing that DC 18 CL check (since I highly doubt he's 17th level, else he'd just prepare Gate himself and have crushed the order by himself) put him decently high level? Not hard evidence of course, but I'd say this also puts him in the same sort of range as my estimate, if not slightly higher.
    Could we not directly compare the heights of Haley/V and Gontor. Gontor is exactly the same height as Durkon* (see #1111). Durkon is about 2/3 the height of Haley. In the penultimate image of #1159, Haley is about 30 pixels tall. Half of Gontor is about 110 pixels. So Gontor is 220 pixels tall. If Haley were standing next to him, she would be 220 * 3/2 = 330 pixels. So Haley is 330/30 = 11 times smaller than if she were in the foreground. An average dwarf is 52 inches tall, so each pixel is 4.23 inches. If we assume the "camera" is 52" from Gontor (for simplicity) then 52/52 * 3/2 = x/(30*4.23), where x is the distance to Haley. So Haley and V are about 16 feet away, making Gontor at least 3rd level, though of course he'd have to be 5th to cast the spell. Let's say Durkon is 48 inches tall. Then each pixel is 0.218 inches. So Haley appears to be 30 * 0.218 = 6.5 inches in this panel. Let's say Haley is 70 inches tall. Then y/6.5 = x / 70, where y is the distance from the viewer to Gontor, and x is the distance from the viewer to Haley. If we assume the viewer is about 5 feet from Gontor, then x = 70 * 60/6.5 = 54 feet, making Gontor at least 11th level.
    Last edited by knag; 2019-03-19 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Math
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Could we not directly compare the heights of Haley/V and Gontor. Gontor is exactly the same height as Durkon* (see #1111). Durkon is about 2/3 the height of Haley. In the penultimate image of #1159, Haley is about 30 pixels tall. Half of Gontor is about 110 pixels. So Gontor is 220 pixels tall. If Haley were standing next to him, she would be 220 * 3/2 = 330 pixels. So Haley is 330/30 = 11 times smaller than if she were in the foreground. An average dwarf is 52 inches tall, so each pixel is 4.23 inches. If we assume the "camera" is 52" from Gontor (for simplicity) then 52/52 * 3/2 = x/(30*4.23), where x is the distance to Haley. So Haley and V are about 16 feet away, making Gontor at least 3rd level, though of course he'd have to be 5th to cast the spell. Let's say Durkon is 48 inches tall. Then each pixel is 0.218 inches. So Haley appears to be 30 * 0.218 = 6.5 inches in this panel. Let's say Haley is 70 inches tall. Then y/6.5 = x / 70, where y is the distance from the viewer to Gontor, and x is the distance from the viewer to Haley. If we assume the viewer is about 5 feet from Gontor, then x = 70 * 60/6.5 = 54 feet, making Gontor at least 11th level.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is some serious mathmagic.

V approves that. (And I approve it too, for what counts)
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-03-19 at 02:19 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

To find Haley's (and exarch*'s) exact height you can take Belkar's height (which is known, given he's a halfling, all ~3' tall in the SRD) in a panel they're standing next to each other in the same linear plane and do the same with pixel heights. in the new art, 1030 panel 5 is a good example.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-19 at 03:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

To find Haley's (and exarch*'s) exact height you can take Belkar's height (which is known, given he's a halfling, all ~3' tall in the SRD) in a panel they're standing next to each other in the same linear plane and do the same with pixel heights. in the new art, 1030 panel 5 is a good example.
    Ok, I guess I started this, I have to finish it.

Going from #956, panel 7, which has all three:
    Belkar: 83 px => 36/83 = 0.434 in/px
    Haley: 123 px => 123 px * 0.434 in/px = 53.3 in
    Durkon: 101 px => 101 px * 0.434 in/px = 43 in

Checking with #953, panel 6:
    Belkar: 130 px => 36/130 = 0.27 in/px
    Durkon: 155 px => 155 px * 0.27 in/px = 43 in

Checking with #1030, panel 5:
    Belkar: 88 px => 36/88 = 0.41 in/px
    Haley: 134 px => 134 px * 0.41 in/p = 55 in

So given the assumption that Belkar is canonically 3 ft tall, we are left with the result that Durkon is only 3' 7", short but within range for a dwarf, and that Haley is a surprisingly short human woman at 4' 7" (giving her the best measurement). That's short, but still within range for the random height generation in the SRD. We'll leave aside that this means that Elan and Roy (and indeed most humans) are quite short. Our assumption about Belkar is probably not great, but we'll go with it for now.

Plugging this result into my earlier analysis with regard to #1159, panel 10, and refining that measurement we find that Haley is 28 px and 0.5 * Gontor = 90 px. With Gontor's height pegged to Durkon's, that's 43/180 = .24 in/px. Haley thus appears to be 6.7 in. Finally, x = 55 * 60/6.7 = 493 in, or 41 ft from the viewer to Haley. With 5 feet to Gontor, that's only 36 feet from Gontor to Haley, putting Gontor's minimum level at a modest level 8.

If instead we allow Belkar the maximum halfling height of 40 in, the resulting heights for Durkon and Haley are 48 and 60 in. respectively. The distance from Gontor to Haley is thus just over 40 feet and the result is unchanged. So we see that this analysis is fairly insensitive to the initial assumption of Belkar's height, relying instead on the relative heights between the characters. However, the result is more sensitive to changes in the assumed distance between the observer and Gontor. An error of over 1 Gontor cleric level / ft accrues for faults in this assumption.

Q.E.D.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, the big problem with using either the heights of characters or the perspective of the bridge (which are both fundamentally the same method) is that either depends on the vantage point location, which we have no good information on.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

There's also that with the OOTS art style it'd be hard to draw Halflings and Gnomes with the same amount of emoting as the humans and other medium sized humanoids, they'd have to be drawn as if they're much taller or the medium size-ers have to be drawn much shorter. You'd have to sacrifice the amount of space you can draw faces on those heads in order to draw their height more accurately to SRD.

Anyway hopefully we get some actual high level spellcasting from Gontor*. Then we won't have to rely on probably-not-accurate perspective measurements.

But to me 8th level seems pretty close to what it'll be.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-20 at 12:24 AM.
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Ok, I guess I started this, I have to finish it.
    In spite of the noted difficulties with drawing conclusions, I am so happy that someone did this. I was thinking of suggesting a method based on this but I was too lazy to even suggest it, let alone do it. So I salute you, knag, true knight of geekery.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    In spite of the noted difficulties with drawing conclusions, I am so happy that someone did this. I was thinking of suggesting a method based on this but I was too lazy to even suggest it, let alone do it. So I salute you, knag, true knight of geekery.
    Yeah, I salute you too.

In a Tolkienesque moment, I'd say "you have my sword", but I don't really work with a sword, so I'll go with "You have my Excel Spreadsheet."
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    Raises a tentacle in salute

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The last panel of #1159 indicates that V thinks Haley is the same level as V. If they were known to be different levels, V, being the arch-pedant, would have said, "... adventurers of our levels."

Since one or both might have levelled up after defeating Durkula this doesn't actually tell us if they are 16th or 17th level, but we do know that V is at least 16th level.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    The last panel of #1159 indicates that V thinks Haley is the same level as V. If they were known to be different levels, V, being the arch-pedant, would have said, "... adventurers of our levels."

Since one or both might have levelled up after defeating Durkula this doesn't actually tell us if they are 16th or 17th level, but we do know that V is at least 16th level.
    I'm not that sure. The statement is more about tiers ofplay then exact levels, or at worst can be as easily be about that. And we already know they're in the same tier.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon-noob View Post
    I'm not that sure. The statement is more about tiers ofplay then exact levels, or at worst can be as easily be about that. And we already know they're in the same tier.
    We actually knew that Haley was at least level 16 already. She was level 15 in Greysky City, and leveled up in Tinkertown.

17. - Top - End - #227

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon-noob View Post
    I'm not that sure. The statement is more about tiers ofplay then exact levels, or at worst can be as easily be about that.
    That is inconsistent with V's known pedantry

18. - Top - End - #228

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    We actually knew that Haley was at least level 16 already. She was level 15 in Greysky City, and leveled up in Tinkertown.
    I wonder if this could be a hint that both are now - after the vampire fight - level 17? I ran the numbers for the fight with the giants and Haley seemed to be level 17 there.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, could Zz'dtri have a Daazix's Vest? That boosts preexisting SR by a whopping +5; combined with Boost Spell Resistance would up it to a ridiculous 33, which is even higher than the friggin' Nightcrawler that Gonetor just summoned!

It's from the DMGII, if you're curious. Heck, the original creator was a male drow as well!
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hey, could Zz'dtri have a Daazix's Vest? That boosts preexisting SR by a whopping +5; combined with Boost Spell Resistance would up it to a ridiculous 33, which is even higher than the friggin' Nightcrawler that Gonetor just summoned!

It's from the DMGII, if you're curious. Heck, the original creator was a male drow as well!
    They have 28+ already, which would include 33. It isn't required that they have this vest to have the fight with V go the exact same way, and usually it would seem the people who add things only do it when they have their items revealed in-comic, which Z did not do with some vest before the vampire neck snap. Sooooo, yeah. It's possible but people don't just add items because they can if they don't change anything and haven't been confirmed.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Banned

They have 28+ already, which would include 33. It isn't required that they have this vest to have the fight with V go the exact same way, and usually it would seem the people who add things only do it when they have their items revealed in-comic, which Z did not do with some vest before the vampire neck snap. Sooooo, yeah. It's possible but people don't just add items because they can if they don't change anything and haven't been confirmed.
    Zz'dtri did mention that he had boosted his SR with both "feats" and "stuff." There is a magic item in the mix.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Zz'dtri did mention that he had boosted his SR with both "feats" and "stuff." There is a magic item in the mix.
    Well, that sentence might be just generally ambiguous, since he'd have no reason to give a detailed explanation of his build to his archenemy and he doesn't speak enough to do that either. "Stuff" doesn't have to just mean items, I guess.

Yes, I know I'm shooting myself in the foot, but are there any other feats that boost SR?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not arguing that he doesn't have an item at all, I'm saying we don't know if it's this vest. The last FAQ in the list answers why we aren't going to change "and an item" to "magic vest"

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Well, that sentence might be just generally ambiguous, since he'd have no reason to give a detailed explanation of his build to his archenemy and he doesn't speak enough to do that either. "Stuff" doesn't have to just mean items, I guess.

Yes, I know I'm shooting myself in the foot, but are there any other feats that boost SR?
    I don't know. But obviously enough to get to 28+ spell resistance already, at the very least.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2019-03-24 at 09:53 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not arguing that he doesn't have an item at all, I'm saying we don't know if it's this vest. The last FAQ in the list answers why we aren't going to change "and an item" to "magic vest"
    Well, that's the most likely option, at least IMO. The original DMGII fluff says it was the creation of a male drow wizard, so I wouldn't be exactly surprised to see it on him, in a non-typical form at the very least. Especially since it says the titular Daazix did weather the spells of the drow clerics, but not their maces - which is quite similar with what happened to Z. Plus, 25k gp is affordable even with NPC WBL at the levels they are, so it's not a far shot.

I don't know. But obviously enough to get to 28+ spell resistance already, at the very least.
    He gets SR 28 from being a drow + Boost Spell Resistance, but he did say "feats".

Also, I just found there's a feat called Psychic Refusal, which adds +4 more against mind-affecting spells. Maybe that too? After all, it's from Drow of the Underdark - yet another drow-fluffed option.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

What is meant by “nova” in #935 (posting from mobile, so I can’t link it) and does this determine any of Laurin’s stats?
    Last edited by Sniccups; 2019-03-25 at 01:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Nova (more accurately, going nova) just means using everything as fast as possible, rather than holding something back for possible later fights. It's a style of resource management in the game, one generally favored by NPCs since the DM knows they'll only be around for the one fight.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Nova (more accurately, going nova) just means using everything as fast as possible, rather than holding something back for possible later fights. It's a style of resource management in the game, one generally favored by NPCs since the DM knows they'll only be around for the one fight.
    Oh, I assumed it was the name of a particular psionic power.
    The Greatest Threads Of GiantITP (in my opinion):
    A story of the exact wrong way to run a campaign.
    The best thread derailment of all time.
    The "canonical" list of Mostly Useless Magic Items.
    A ridiculous campaign.
    Weird dreams.

Working on a laptop connected to the Internet is like writing on a typewriter welded to a circus. -Unknown

My Nexus character

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Durkon Allotrope Thundershield
    Lawful Good, Dwarf male Cleric of Thor 12 (based on spells cast in a day, and level reduction from being raised).

Correct me if I'm missing something (and I probably am), but Vampire Durkon could cast Symbol of Death, an 8th level spell, so that means he was previously a 15th+ level character. Now, he was raised twice, so his new level is at least 13, not 12 as this thread indicates
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2019-03-25 at 05:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If I may be permitted to ask a dumb question about D&D3.5e, is there anything similar to archetypes or other alternate class options? I was wondering if there was some way O-Chul could be a paladin variant that uses WIS rather than CHA for some key features, but I'm not aware of anything in D&D that would allow for this.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    If I may be permitted to ask a dumb question about D&D3.5e, is there anything similar to archetypes or other alternate class options? I was wondering if there was some way O-Chul could be a paladin variant that uses WIS rather than CHA for some key features, but I'm not aware of anything in D&D that would allow for this.
    There are some options for alternative class features, yes. I don't know of any off the top of my head that would allow a Paladin to substitute WIS for CHA, but it also wouldn't particularly surprise me if there was such an alternative class feature/variant class or a feat that allowed a Paladin to do so somewhere.