New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 51 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1501
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

About the clones: did we ever find out how many of the girls there really were?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    We didn't even get confirmation they were clones. iirc her plotline ended with (one of them) getting shot. Maybe they'll be back?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    We didn't even get confirmation they were clones. iirc her plotline ended with (one of them) getting shot. Maybe they'll be back?
    Kerina absolutely was a clone, but the comic said nothing about there being more than one. That's just a thing that the thread came up with to explain why she changed her outfit, like, four times in as many hours.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    Kerina absolutely was a clone, but the comic said nothing about there being more than one. That's just a thing that the thread came up with to explain why she changed her outfit, like, four times in as many hours.
    Worst part is, a talented writer could use this hanging plot thread for future stories, one of his dedicated lady clones breaking him out of jail for instance, or going after danica for revenge somehow. It would make for an interesting out of nowhere reveal. Or even some long standing mystery threat that eventually is revealed to be her. Instead its likely we will never really deal with this again aside from maybe mentioning they got the info from hymn again.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Worst part is, a talented writer could use this hanging plot thread for future stories, one of his dedicated lady clones breaking him out of jail for instance, or going after danica for revenge somehow.
    Especially if there were clones with other DNA tossed in, since Kerina couldn't have been an exact genetic clone, given that she'd need 2 X chromosomes and Hymn only has one. Which means either someone got an additional X chromosome from somewhere, Kerina has two copies of Hymn's (which is a bad idea health wise), or she's surgically modified, which doesn't seem to suit his M.O. Getting a clone with possible health defects doesn't seem like something Hymn would want, and Kerina did pass as his secretary for a decent chunk of time. Then again, having a monoculture of clones would mean that a nasty bug could disable the choir quite easily.

Through thinking of this, how much range does Hymn have? If he's gifted and has the ability to sing in multiple octaves, cloning singers makes more sense. If he doesn't, wouldn't the clones be a little redundant? I don't know, I know nothing of music, but I thought you'd need multiple tones to make a choir?

But yeah, we're never getting answers to her rapidly changing outfits or if surviving clones exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Star Power VI: Shooting Stars (VORP VORP VORP)

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Worst part is, a talented writer could use this hanging plot thread for future stories, one of his dedicated lady clones breaking him out of jail for instance, or going after danica for revenge somehow. It would make for an interesting out of nowhere reveal. Or even some long standing mystery threat that eventually is revealed to be her. Instead its likely we will never really deal with this again aside from maybe mentioning they got the info from hymn again.
    Yep, there was so much potential here, but Mookie doesn't know what to do with potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Especially if there were clones with other DNA tossed in, since Kerina couldn't have been an exact genetic clone, given that she'd need 2 X chromosomes and Hymn only has one. Which means either someone got an additional X chromosome from somewhere, Kerina has two copies of Hymn's (which is a bad idea health wise), or she's surgically modified, which doesn't seem to suit his M.O. Getting a clone with possible health defects doesn't seem like something Hymn would want, and Kerina did pass as his secretary for a decent chunk of time. Then again, having a monoculture of clones would mean that a nasty bug could disable the choir quite easily.

Through thinking of this, how much range does Hymn have? If he's gifted and has the ability to sing in multiple octaves, cloning singers makes more sense. If he doesn't, wouldn't the clones be a little redundant? I don't know, I know nothing of music, but I thought you'd need multiple tones to make a choir?

But yeah, we're never getting answers to her rapidly changing outfits or if surviving clones exist.
    They did actually explain it in the comic. She was a modified clone with half Hymn DNA and half slave DNA, a sort of prototype of what he was trying to do with Danica.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep, there was so much potential here, but Mookie doesn't know what to do with potential.

They did actually explain it in the comic. She was a modified clone with half Hymn DNA and half slave DNA, a sort of prototype of what he was trying to do with Danica.
    Huh. You are right, I guess I need to up my snark game. Still, it does mean that he did have 'children' in a sense, and does open up the possibility of others. Especially since the other donor to Kerina's DNA could be from anywhere, and there are hints that they could have been a rather highly analytical person. Which would make for an interesting character, but alas.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    Did you noticed even the energy blasts of their weapons are code colored by alignment, like lightsabers?
    Not by alignment. Red blasts are terminal, blue blasts are to stun. That was established back in the Black Hole Bill saga and was a bit of a plot point.it's not a bad choice of colour since you get quickly that red is aggressive and bad, and blue is more restrained. Practically it's by alignment because the bad guys will try to kill first and the good guys don't want to. It's little details like that that make a bit more positive about the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Not by alignment. Red blasts are terminal, blue blasts are to stun. That was established back in the Black Hole Bill saga and was a bit of a plot point.it's not a bad choice of colour since you get quickly that red is aggressive and bad, and blue is more restrained. Practically it's by alignment because the bad guys will try to kill first and the good guys don't want to. It's little details like that that make a bit more positive about the comic.
    Wow. That's such a minor detail from so long ago that I have no idea what you're talking about. It might have been a good idea for Mookie to reestablish that at some point.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow. That's such a minor detail from so long ago that I have no idea what you're talking about. It might have been a good idea for Mookie to reestablish that at some point.
    It's from here. It's not really important to the story, and the design of the colour implies what it is. In a visual medium that's sufficient.

Also, I just realized I remember an unimportant detail from some mediocre web comic, but am not sure what my wife's birthday is. Stupid brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    It's from here. It's not really important to the story, and the design of the colour implies what it is. In a visual medium that's sufficient.

Also, I just realized I remember an unimportant detail from some mediocre web comic, but am not sure what my wife's birthday is. Stupid brain
    Human brains are stupid, you're not the only one with such weird habits. So don't worry.

I think I have lost count of how often Mookie has been trying to pull a fake out like this.. Is it a running gag by now?

But, without raising the obvious related debate... Who would name something spineapple, let alone eat that? (and I get its a pun but it's such a dumb one)
    "What's done is done."

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Barbarian in the Playground

But, without raising the obvious related debate... Who would name something spineapple, let alone eat that?
    I don't see a problem there?
    Presumably it's a vaguely apple-shaped fruit with prominent spines that need to be removed before eating the rest.

13. - Top - End - #1333

He was talking about Grex. She used to be a boy. Her actual reason for joining the Void Angels was to pay the bills for the surgery.
    Last edited by faustin; 2019-04-15 at 04:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    I don't see a problem there?
    Presumably it's a vaguely apple-shaped fruit with prominent spines that need to be removed before eating the rest.
    Ah, I guess my lacking English is showing, because when I hear spine I only think of anatomy and that mkes it sound as appetizing as liver pears or marrow melons.
    "What's done is done."

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spineapple is obviously just spinach that taste like pineapple. Or the other way round.

Or it is a round sensory organ that space-koalas grows on their spine, and which is harvested while they're still alive. It's a delicacy, and some people like their space-meat.

16. - Top - End - #1336

Ah, I guess my lacking English is showing, because when I hear spine I only think of anatomy and that mkes it sound as appetizing as liver pears or marrow melons.
    Reminds me of Starbound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Titan in the Playground

Marrow melons makes me think of this.

I’m a native English speaker, and I recall being QUITE confused and somewhat put off the first time I heard about that, for exactly the same reason. (And now you know I’m not from the UK!)
    Last edited by Zaq; 2019-04-16 at 08:44 AM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

Plenty of plants are named after body parts, such as orchids, avocados, fingered citron, or even wood ears. I guess it sounds better if you put into a different language?

Through given how English works, I'm surprised it isn't a [Random Alien Word]-apple or something. If you have all of those languages for English to pilfer from, it's going to treat itself to the smorgasbord of words.

19. - Top - End - #1339

orchids
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Plenty of plants are named after body parts, such as orchids, avocados, fingered citron, or even wood ears. I guess it sounds better if you put into a different language?

Through given how English works, I'm surprised it isn't a [Random Alien Word]-apple or something. If you have all of those languages for English to pilfer from, it's going to treat itself to the smorgasbord of words.
    True. At the rate that English steals words and invents new slang, a futuristic sci-fi world would probably be incomprehensible to us. So, this is one area where I don't fault writers for just using regular English. In fact, I tend to find it annoying when they try to make the language sound futurist because it inevitably just sounds stupid.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Titan in the Playground

Hard to believe I'm saying this but I have no complaints about today's comic. Okay, if I must, I don't think barbecue is a great flavour. But otherwise I liked it.
    "What's done is done."

22. - Top - End - #1342

I prefer fried eggs flavored chips.

So, is Burke really ok with giving up his true passion: being a space pilot?
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

23. - Top - End - #1343

Hard to believe I'm saying this but I have no complaints about today's comic. Okay, if I must, I don't think barbecue is a great flavour. But otherwise I liked it.
    Yeah I agree, barbecue is the last flavor of the assorted pack I go after. :p And faustin, i doubt he is "ok" with it, but has probably accepted it in the same way you accept the fact that its raining because nothing you can do is going to change that. But dont worry, im fairly certain that at some point fairly shortly, he is going to get roped into a mission with star power or grex and have to fly again.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

I find the art more unsettling than the banter, actually. Garth’s art is usually okay, but those faces are really weird-looking for some reason. Like, all of them.

I like the purple space-pooch in panel 1.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I find the art more unsettling than the banter, actually. Garth’s art is usually okay, but those faces are really weird-looking for some reason. Like, all of them.

I like the purple space-pooch in panel 1.
    Really? I mean, maybe Danice doesn't look her best, but not terrible and everything else looks fine. Though, I'm not a great judge of that.
    "What's done is done."

26. - Top - End - #1346

They do look different but to me its a good different. Less joker grin on danicas face. Its still a bit uncanny valley but I think its an improvement.

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pages like this that lull me into thinking "Maybe Mookie is improving. Maybe he'll soon reach the heights of mediocre," but chances are the next page will dash those hopes.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup. Remember that the next time you see one in a wedding bouquet.

True. At the rate that English steals words and invents new slang, a futuristic sci-fi world would probably be incomprehensible to us. So, this is one area where I don't fault writers for just using regular English. In fact, I tend to find it annoying when they try to make the language sound futurist because it inevitably just sounds stupid.
    I think it's a delicate balance. I mean...Grok sorta wound up in our language at times, did it not? But yeah, probably more work than it's worth, usually. Just jarring to see an alien fruit be referred to by an earth name with an extra letter.

Through I think I see the issue with the faces now. Extreme or exaggerated expressions seem to have too much deformation or elasticity in them, given the tone of the comic. More subtle ones seem fine, but that's just my opinion.

29. - Top - End - #1349

Yup. Remember that the next time you see one in a wedding bouquet.
    Have you ever seen that movie, "Wild Orchid"? Now the title makes a lot more sense!

30. - Top - End - #1350

Nobody mentions the pet with tentacles and a goofy dog-like smile in the first panel? I always how functional is to move in a surface with those appendages.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""