New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MitD XIII: Learning is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Bullhonkey!
    You seem to have decided that yelling "Bullhonkey" at any criticism or dissent of something you said invalidates it. That is not how it works.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jineon View Post
    And the Uvuudaum... no, just no. I really can't see Rich going for a creature with no eyes when deciding what the MitD would be, especially since he could still choose what abilities he'd want it to display at the time (so wasn't bound by the Big Scenes).
    The uvuudaum has eyes. Look at the image on p225 of the ELH: there's a pale blue eye behind the head-spike. Much like a bird with a closed beak, really.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Because I didn't get around to this last thread....

(...)

All that said...Section 4b describing the voting process could benefit from stating some of these things.

• That "A, B, C" represents a vote for the combination of A & B & C, and only the combination of A & B & C, should be called out. While it certainly makes sense, it isn't intuitive; my assumptions would have been that it represented giving equal weight to A/B/C individually, or that all the subsets (ABC/AB/AC/BC/A/B/C) are equally weighted.
    • Assuming only considering options appearing on a majority of ballots (should any exist) is in fact standard for votes, it should definitely be mentioned as it's not standard for IRV.
    • Mentioning that votes decide which single change is done next certainly wouldn't hurt, to mitigate confusion over votes attempting to reflect all the changes together.
    I'd go further than that. IRV doesn't work well for the application at all. To top it off, the fact that the curator finds running votes to be "exhausting" means the situation is biased towards inertia.

Every proposal that gets seconded by two or three or four other participants should simply be the object of a binary vote where the two options would be "implement proposal" and "don't implement proposal". (The proposal can be a mix of things, of course. So if you want A + B + C and only want them if they're together, you suggest voting on it, if four others agree, then a binary vote takes place between "implement A + B + C" and "no changes".)

Elegant, simple, and perfectly functional.

(I'd raise the support for a call for a vote to four instead of two because anything that has any chance of passing should have no problem at all getting the support of four people; raising the bar there has the effect of reducing the likelihood of a proposal that won't pass of reaching the formal voting stage, which would be an useless exercise.)
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    The uvuudaum has eyes. Look at the image on p225 of the ELH: there's a pale blue eye behind the head-spike. Much like a bird with a closed beak, really.
    Where exactly? There's a pale blue spot on the end of the black spike, but that looks like a lighting thing than an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I'd go further than that. IRV doesn't work well for the application at all. To top it off, the fact that the curator finds running votes to be "exhausting" means the situation is biased towards inertia.

Every proposal that gets seconded by two or three or four other participants should simply be the object of a binary vote where the two options would be "implement proposal" and "don't implement proposal". (The proposal can be a mix of things, of course. So if you want A + B + C and only want them if they're together, you suggest voting on it, if four others agree, then a binary vote takes place between "implement A + B + C" and "no changes".)

(I'd raise the support for a call for a vote to four instead of two because anything that has any chance of passing should have no problem at all getting the support of four people; raising the bar there has the effect of reducing the likelihood of a proposal that won't pass of reaching the formal voting stage, which would be an useless exercise.)
    That has quite a bit of "interesting, but...", none of which I want to talk about right now because that's too much thinking about stuff that needs solid days of thought, not 5-20 minutes.
    Also, would we need double the people to nominate your proposal in order to get it to go to Grey Wolf, or would the normal amount do...?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-14 at 05:21 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

No, it is neither elegant nor functional and certainly not simple. Running 20 voting procedures instead of one would be even more exhausting. Not to mention is completely disregards that many people only multiples changes if they go together, while others will only want them individually, meaning I'd have to run 7 votes for a simple "A, B, C" suggestion of your example (A or not A? B or not B? C or not C? A & B or not A & B? A & C or not A & C? B & C or Not B & C? A and B and C or not?), never mind a realistic scenario like the last vote where there were ~10 suggestions. And that's not even going into the trivial scenarios where contradictory conclusions could easily result, such as voting for both increasing an decreasing the size threshold, or in this example, A and B individually being wanted, but A & B being voted down.

Your continued refusal to learn how the voting works is now being counted against you for all further communications. You failed to understand how it worked, and have been railing against a process you clearly have demonstrated multiple times you don't understand. I suggest you educate yourself before you continue to make a fool of yourself.

For the record, what made it most exhausting was you. You and your ignorance. If I could make sure not to have to listen to your blabber about the process I'd run Kish's new voting request tomorrow. But as long as you are involved, it is exhausting to contemplate. I am not at all interested in going another 20 pages of people trying to explain to you how the system works, given your penchant for misrepresenting it and your clear incapability of grasping it.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-04-14 at 07:59 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

If you are the hero of a kingdom, and whenever the king wants a new sofa you have to spend 50 days to go through the Trail of Horrors to fetch a Lumpersand Beast pelt, then even if you are loyal to the king and would do anything to him, you would still be really annoyed when he asks for a new sofa. Why? Because even if you can do it safely, and even if it is not too much trouble, its still 50 days travelling through the Trail of Horrors.
    Same concept here: Grey Wolf is arguably obligated to do votes, and does them willingly. That doesn't mean he wants to do them constantly nor that he doesn't find them tiring to do.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    That doesn't mean he wants to do them constantly nor that he doesn't find them tiring to do.
    It is not just about me, although let me be clear that I do find it tiring even when I don't have to deal with lio45. There is a well-known phenomenon called (at least in my own language, I'm translating on the spot) "decision exhaustion". The more you ask people to vote, the less they vote because it becomes boring and routine to do so. It is most known to happen in the US, where they vote on every imaginable governmental position, sometimes even several times per year. People stop caring after a (very short) while, and only the most dedicated show up, leading to warped results that don't truly represent consensus.

Imagine how much worse it would be for making decisions affecting a silly internet thread. I am happy we got as many participants as we did last time, and I am in no hurry to abuse their patience by asking them to vote again on items that in all honesty had their chance to be voted on not a month back. I'm sorry for Kish, but I want a cool-off period between votes, not just for my own sake but for the sake of everyone not 100% committed to this thread, which should be all of us. The Giant's comments thread uses 3 months. That feels about right.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-04-14 at 07:36 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think Peelee meant an official 3.xed citation. Not a homebrew 5ed citation.
    On the one hand, indeed. On the other, if homebrew 5e citations count, I'll be back in 5 minutes with a counter-citation.

Im good with whichever, its win-win for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    You seem to have decided that yelling "Bullhonkey" at any criticism or dissent of something you said invalidates it. That is not how it works.
    The ways of the bullhonkey are mysterious indeed. Such is the burden of not using bull**** instead.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #279
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ruck View Post
    you seem to have decided that yelling "bullhonkey" at any criticism or dissent of something you said invalidates it. That is not how it works.
    bullhonkey!
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

10. - Top - End - #280
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    The Giant's comments thread uses 3 months. That feels about right.
    If I could vote for how long it should be until we vote again I'd vote for this lol.

And to those who want to vote right now, I say bullhonkey!!

I'm interested to hear about the Hagunnemon from any source, as it seems like the best option right now and any evidence in favor of it or against it should be brought to light asap.
    Peelee's Lurker Lotsey Leader

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingmonkey View Post
    If I could vote for how long it should be until we vote again I'd vote for this lol.

And to those who want to vote right now, I say bullhonkey!!
    Preemptive motion to put "Bullhonkey!" on the MitD XIV name options? Not to start voting for it now, but to like, put it on a list of candidates or something? I dunno.

-Squire Doodad

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

The Giant's comments thread uses 3 months.
    For the record, it's two months*; I'm twelve days out from the next update.

* It's actually two months or six quotes, whichever comes first; but "quotes by the Giant" is a much more objective target than "suggestions for adjusting criteria by any of numerous posters" in a thread, FBS or in general. The closest equivalent would be "X number of new strips with MitD appearances", which is...unlikely to be a useful metric.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Preemptive motion to put "Bullhonkey!" on the MitD XIV name options? Not to start voting for it now, but to like, put it on a list of candidates or something? I dunno.
    Added.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    For the record, it's two months*; I'm twelve days out from the next update.
    I stand corrected.

Grey Wolf

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Added.

Grey Wolf
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-
    About the Hanguandaonemonn, I am an avid Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan (if that wasn't obvious) yet I didn't know that the Protean's origins aren't in mythology or urban legends but rather from the works of Douglas Adams.

-Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #285

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    The Uvuudaum has a special quality called Blindsight, which leads me to believe that it does not have eyes. I'm with Squire Doodad, that pale spot is just light reflecting off of the beak-thing near its base.
    This signature was written by me, Aveline, to indicate that this message was written by me, Aveline.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    The Uvuudaum has a special quality called Blindsight, which leads me to believe that it does not have eyes. I'm with Squire Doodad, that pale spot is just light reflecting off of the beak-thing near its base.
    I mean its possible that it has blindsight and eyes (like how certain cave-dwelling animals haven't evolved out eyes yet, but still rely on other senses), but the "eye" still is evidently lighting or a spot.

-Squire Doodad

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thelivingmonkey View Post
    I'm interested to hear about the Hagunnemon from any source, as it seems like the best option right now and any evidence in favor of it or against it should be brought to light asap.
    I, on the other hand, don't think that information about the inspiration for a D&D monster should be considered when evaluating the D&D monster's candidacy. A D&D monster is its own thing, independent from whatever inspired it, and information about the inspiration is simply not relevant to the D&D monster, either in general or in the context of whether it could be MitD.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I, on the other hand, don't think that information about the inspiration for a D&D monster should be considered when evaluating the D&D monster's candidacy. A D&D monster is its own thing, independent from whatever inspired it, and information about the inspiration is simply not relevant to the D&D monster, either in general or in the context of whether it could be MitD.
    Fair enough, but it could be used to make sense of a few comments. Like the "have I ever been drawn" bit for a being that technically originates from a strictly non-visual media.

Added.
    Grey Wolf
    Out of curiosity, what section is the list of names under? Or is that going to be revealed when the time inevitably (apocalypse notwithstanding) comes?
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-14 at 09:03 PM.

-Squire Doodad

19. - Top - End - #289
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm sorry for Kish, but I want a cool-off period between votes, not just for my own sake but for the sake of everyone not 100% committed to this thread, which should be all of us. The Giant's comments thread uses 3 months. That feels about right.

Grey Wolf
    That's fine. I don't want to make it unpleasant for you, and also I'd obviously rather not have people voting no because it offends them that the vote is happening when it does happen, which at least one person already indicated they would.

20. - Top - End - #290

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aveline View Post
    The description for Blindsight doesn't say that creatures with the ability don't have eyes, but I would agree that the Uvuudaum's art suggests otherwise. That said, if we're willing to accept the Hagunemnon can have two stationary eyes without additional ones popping up spontaneously, it seems fair to consider it a similar con to the Uvuudaum's lack of eyes.

Looking at Blindsight's description, I wonder about this quality:
    Blindsight never allows a creature to distinguish color or visual contrast. A creature cannot read with blindsight.
    I realize MitD being unable to see the Gates is A Joke, but perhaps it's because his effective colour blindness makes it difficult for him to perceive them? Granted, I don't know how the Gate on #96 would look to someone who couldn't see colour, but this seems like a possible explanation if the pinks and reds of the rift and outer gate are difficult to distinguish from the dark blue surrounding it. There's also the fact that MitD continued to not see the Gates in later scenes.

... Unrelated, but is anyone up for going to a game of bullhockey later? The way they make it around the rink is just, well, it's an experience!
    feed the crows

21. - Top - End - #291

Out of curiosity, what section is the list of names under? Or is that going to be revealed when the time inevitably (apocalypse notwithstanding) comes?
    Five gold says ol' GW_c just digs for a, minute and pulls from here when the time comes. "Here," of course, updating every thread iteration.

If there's a different way, well, that one also works.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspheric View Post
    ... Unrelated, but is anyone up for going to a game of bullhockey later? The way they make it around the rink is just, well, it's an experience!
    I propose we play down in my neck of the woods!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-14 at 09:44 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Alas, such a pity they're not real bulls... what a strange coincidence though, haha!
    feed the crows

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

I automatically copy over the list of names suggested to each new thread. So I simply added your suggestion to the top of said list in the last thread (~page 44, IIRC). When the time comes, even if we both have forgotten this conversation, it'll be copied over. The same exact thing happened last thread - someone wanted a suggestion recalled, so I put it on the list, and indeed that person (who had forgotten) was able to vote for it regardless.

Grey Wolf

24. - Top - End - #294

Alas, such a pity they're not real bulls... what a strange coincidence though, haha!
    I'm sad they don't play in the BJCC anymore. Never seen them at the Pelham Civic Complex, but it's tiny in comparison. Good memories of my dad taking me to see them downtown way back when.

ETA: Universe, you owe me 5 gold.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-14 at 10:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295

AssassinGuy

... Unrelated, but is anyone up for going to a game of bullhockey later?
    As everyone knows, you can't have a good game of bullhockey without high quality bullpuckey.
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

26. - Top - End - #296

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    As everyone knows, you can't have a good game of bullhockey without high quality bullpuckey.
    Right, and it's important to get athletes skilled at riding the bulls that skate the rink. Only the finest of bulljockeys can make it to the top, after all!
    feed the crows

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

No, it is neither elegant nor functional and certainly not simple.
    Looks like you don't understand the proposed improvements, then.

Running 20 voting procedures instead of one would be even more exhausting. Not to mention is completely disregards that many people only multiples changes if they go together, while others will only want them individually, meaning I'd have to run 7 votes for a simple "A, B, C" suggestion of your example (A or not A? B or not B? C or not C? A & B or not A & B? A & C or not A & C? B & C or Not B & C? A and B and C or not?)
    You just proved that you didn't understand the proposed modifications/reform. You'd only have to run (binary) votes for those combinations that get explicitly seconded then thirded then fourthed. In real life, people wouldn't troll the thread suggesting all kinds of permutations for no reason. If two things go well together then it's likely that pairing that will reach the voting stage (again, a binary vote); in most cases by far, it's probably going to be single suggestions that will reach it (and as always, binary votes whenever that happens).

Your continued refusal to learn how the voting works is now being counted against you for all further communications. You failed to understand how it worked, and have been railing against a process you clearly have demonstrated multiple times you don't understand. I suggest you educate yourself before you continue to make a fool of yourself.
    I understand it very well. Frankly, probably better than anyone who doesn't see how it favors the status quo and how needlessly cumbersome it is.

If I could make sure not to have to listen to your blabber about the process I'd run Kish's new voting request tomorrow.
    As I mentioned already, I'm willing to volunteer to run Kish's "Implement Minimum Challenge Rating Requirement of 18" modification as a binary vote (where a simple majority wins). Effortless for you!

(Reforming this thread's voting system is guaranteed to help improve the quality of the FBS contenders, IMO. It's a no brainer.)
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think Peelee meant an official 3.xed citation. Not a homebrew 5ed citation.
    I don't know what is homebrew and what isn't. It is the first link that popped up when googling, it says D&D. As a non-player, to me it looks as authentic as the next.

Thats why I asked a couple weeks back whether any descriptions in books or Giant's playing time did NOT contain that, as it helps the Protean as guessing candidate.

At any rate, "Citation needed" was used as a short and abrasive counter argument, as usually. He didn't bother to be specific, and such is the answer he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Your observation is inaccurate, which you can (could) very easily note once you
    A follow the discussion that led to me first using it
    and
    B look closely at the couple instances I have used it since.

Fair enough, but it could be used to make sense of a few comments. Like the "have I ever been drawn" bit for a being that technically originates from a strictly non-visual media.

Wasn't it "Have I been drawn?"

If it was like that, it really suggests to me a monster Rich knew from a non-visual source, but ultimately wasn't 100% sure to never have been drawn. Like, he wouldn't want someone to point out an obscure picture after the reveal and say "You said he never was painted you liar!!"

That, or it is just some misdirection and he has been painted all the time...
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2019-04-15 at 12:33 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299

I don't know what is homebrew and what isn't. It is the first link that popped up when googling, it says D&D. As a non-player, to me it looks as authentic as the next.
    Understandable. At the bottom of the page, it says "Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Races," meaning you're looking at a page in the races of 5e homebrew. d20 SRD tends to be a better source, since D&D wiki has an overly large homebrew section that loves to get top results in search rankings.
    Your observation is inaccurate, which you can (could) very easily note once you
    A follow the discussion that led to me first using it
    and
    B look closely at the couple instances I have used it since.
    The discussion that led to you using it, where I said it was a PG version of an ift-censired word, which you don't use it as and/or do not understand how it's typically used?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-15 at 12:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300

PaladinGuy

Where exactly? There's a pale blue spot on the end of the black spike, but that looks like a lighting thing than an eye.
    Huh? Funny how there aren't any other lighting spots; it's an eye. Look at the picture of the Infernal and you'll see the eyes are red spots. Look at the Phaethon and you'll see that its eyes are white spots. Ditto the Phane. Do you really want me to go through the whole list of ELH monsters?