New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCIX: Leakier Than A Changeling Bathtub!

Spoiler: ep 4
    Show
    Brandnew outro.
    Applejack: I'll need this if I'm going to take her around the mountain another way.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Spoiler: S9, E4
    Show
    I have remarkably little to say about this episode. I thought it was alright, I certainly liked it better than the previous episode, but for a 200th episode special they had been hyping since the season was announced I found myself a little underwhelmed. I think part of the issue is that the whole Ocean's 11-style heist plot would have worked better if they had just stuck to Twilight's original plan from the start; you'd have given the heist hi-jinks more time to play out, and you wouldn't have even needed to change anything about the ending with Spike and Luna, since that hinged on Twilight's original plan anyway. Adding the separate non-plans to the mix just cluttered the narrative.

That being said, I did like the ending, especially the bit with Spike being officially recognized by Twilight and Shining Armor as the younger brother of the group. the only thing that could possibly top that were the strained 'let's not fight in public' interactions between Luna and Celestia. Overall, I'd probably give this episode a B, not the best the show's produced but still enjoyable.
    Agree with most of what you said here, though the first part had enough hi-jinks to make me give it a B+ at least.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that's the Dark Fears finally done... About a quarter of a century late...

Spoiler
    Show

Dark Fears (A through D), pictured with a Shadowfang MkII Frigate, Sorrowskean Cruiser and, of course, the anti-OFC fame, the Spiritwrack Defence Corvette.

Edit:

Spoiler: s9e4
    Show
    Bahahahahahahaha!

Another cracking episode!

Rarity stole the show as usual whenever given the chance to act up, followed closely by Luna.

And it's really nice to see Shining just... Being Shining and not ancillary to other characters (i.e. Cadance).

(Isn't Spike is more like yout son, though Twilight...?)

Gotta love the expressions, and esspecially the bickering between Celestia and Luna. Ye gods we needed this seasons ago, it's hilarious!

I was windering why the hell Zephr was suddenly a guard (but watching Rainbow squirm and Rarity's expression meant I didn't worry too much), but it was All Part Of The Plan by the true mastermind - Spike!

Yeah, we're doing really well this season, three excellent episoes out of four thus far! Keep it up, show!

Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-04-20 at 08:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 Ep4
    Show
    So this was the episode all about facial expressions. Cause that's the one thing that really stood out for me. It was pretty funny at parts, but felt like just a decent slice-ish life kind of episode, not a big 200th episode thing. The 100th episode at least jumped out of the box by focusing on background ponies (Derpy, the Doctor, Lyra, Bon Bon...) and their amusing little side plots and trying something very different.

Oh, second thing that stood out for me--Out of that whole unexpected plan, AJ was the only one that succeeded in her part. Point for the earth pony.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post

Spoiler: s9e4
    Show

I was windering why the hell Zephr was suddenly a guard (but watching Rainbow squirm and Rarity's expression meant I didn't worry too much), but it was All Part Of The Plan by the true mastermind - Spike!

Spoiler: S9E4
    Show
    I wouldn't put it past Luna to have recruited Zephyr and stationed him there so that they could get through.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Happy 7th A Canterlot Wedding
    Applejack: I'll need this if I'm going to take her around the mountain another way.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Show
    I wouldn't put it past Luna to have recruited Zephyr and stationed him there so that they could get through.
    Show
    Yeah, consider that he just pointed out "petty grudges to let the invaders in".
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh*

Nanny seems like she's on her way now. She is spending more and more time asleep, getting very forgetful, quiet and she seems to be getting frailer and frailer. As my sister said, she seems to have lost that spark. (My sisters, both of whom work at the hospital, have quietly had that conversation, the where you don't want it to happen, but that you don't want it to drag out.) She was sick on Sunday at church, and fell over (without doing any damage, this, fortunately) later on because she'd stood up, sent my uncle to get the commode, forgot why she stood up and reached for something. This morning, Mum's had to go around because she as dizzy and struggled to stand to get to the commode, which means she may not be able to stay at home anymore if it's permenant and not something else to be determined when appropriate medical personnel assess later.

Yeah, I got no pithy remarks for once; it's too early in the morning.

9. - Top - End - #1179

It's not the kind of thing one has pithy remarks about, my friend. Even if you are without a heart because of your skeletal nature, you still have a heart.

Be well, and vent at us if needed.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *sigh*

Nanny seems like she's on her way now. She is spending more and more time asleep, getting very forgetful, quiet and she seems to be getting frailer and frailer. As my sister said, she seems to have lost that spark. (My sisters, both of whom work at the hospital, have quietly had that conversation, the where you don't want it to happen, but that you don't want it to drag out.) She was sick on Sunday at church, and fell over (without doing any damage, this, fortunately) later on because she'd stood up, sent my uncle to get the commode, forgot why she stood up and reached for something. This morning, Mum's had to go around because she as dizzy and struggled to stand to get to the commode, which means she may not be able to stay at home anymore if it's permenant and not something else to be determined when appropriate medical personnel assess later.

Yeah, I got no pithy remarks for once; it's too early in the morning.
    For what it's worth, my great grandmother lasted for a couple of years after she got to that point.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the good news is that by the end of the day (which Mum once again had to spend there), Nanny was apparently better. The doctor suspected she might have had an absess somewhere in the region upon which one sits that burst, since she notably improved as was much more talkative and was making jokes, which is a good sign and probably the most important thing. (As long as her mind is alert to enough to function, Nanny is pretty much made of steel. when we took her for a check-up on he nakle they broke, they said "hang on, this normally takes twice as long for someone at your age to heal!") She was mobile enough to use the commode again, so it might be that whatever this was a temproary drop (though these are getting more frequent). So, at least for the immediate moment, end-game crisis postponed...

Edir: I have to hand it to you Supergirl Season Four.
    Spoiler: season four, episode 13
    Show
    It's a special kind of arrogant Stupid that the President of te US launches a satelite with the explicit intention of shooting down any aline craft which enters Earth's orbit.

Aside, from, y'know, America Is Not The World, and other countries might have got a liiiiiittel upset about it, potentially starting a Proper War against and FTL civilisation doesn't seem smart, double-especially when you are dead-set on removing all alien presence (including the presence of the ones which stopped the last invasion). Exactly what, Mr President, in your magic special world where you get rid of all the aliens and use your magic super-human strength potion is going to do against, I dunno, a fleet of starships that will just raze you from orbit?

(I mean, if it was the Aotrs you took a shot at, the world would have been getting the message along the lines of "right, okay, then Earth; you are going to hand over the United States to the Aotrs and give us your president's head on a platter, yes, very literally, which you will cut off yourselves in a live televisied event (and we'll be checking his soul afterwards, so don't bother with any tricks) in the next twenty-four hours. If you don't we're going to start razing the planet from orbit, and we're going to start with everywhere EXCEPT the US and continue until either a) you do as you were told or b) the US is nuked to oblivion by either you or us. That, Mr Shameful Ancestor of John Sheridan Apparently On The Bit Of The Family No-One Ever Talks About, is your personal idiot tax for that little stunt.")

I mean, I know I'm Evil, but when even my MUM is agreeing with me that rooting for Manchester Black is preferable to the Fanatic Speciesists Racist-Stand-Ins, you have probably gone too far.

Frack's sake, just drop this crap and move on the FAR more interesting "Russians have a clone of Supergirl" plot you've been teasing.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-04-23 at 06:01 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

I've had an interesting thought regarding Grogar's villain ensemble. At first I had suspected that Cozy Glow was more or less scooped up accidentally as consequence of Grogar teleporting Tirek from Tartarus, but the more I think about it I think Cozy Glow might actually be every bit as valuable an asset. Unlike Tirek, Chrysalis or Sombra, Cozy Glow has an understanding of the power of friendship, which means she is uniquely equipped to help Grogar unite her fellow villains towards a single goal.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1183

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    I've had an interesting thought regarding Grogar's villain ensemble. At first I had suspected that Cozy Glow was more or less scooped up accidentally as consequence of Grogar teleporting Tirek from Tartarus, but the more I think about it I think Cozy Glow might actually be every bit as valuable an asset. Unlike Tirek, Chrysalis or Sombra, Cozy Glow has an understanding of the power of friendship, which means she is uniquely equipped to help Grogar unite her fellow villains towards a single goal.
    Who better to help weaponize pony friendship than a pony?

Grogar did specifically comment that his plan needs the villains to team up, so yes, Cozy does serves as the figurative glue to keep a team of villains together who would otherwise not care to work with one another.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Nanny was a lot better today - she was engaged and cracking jokes (even some self-depracting ones about he being on her way out...) She said she didn't feel much better, but as I said, with her mind being awake and engaged, everything else would follow at least as far as it could.

Poor old Mum, though - after being around Nanny's most of yesterday (while me and Dad were out), she had to go back in the evening, because the carers had left and Nanny had fallen asleep and spilled her tea (cold, by that point) all down herself. Mum's absolutely shattered.

At least her new kindle has arrived and the interim phone is working. (Since last Monday she managed to wash both her phone AND kindel in the washing machine.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-04-25 at 10:39 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1185

Had she tried to cook a mixing bowl yet? That's the point where my folks had to admit my grandmother could no longer be left in her home any more.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Had she tried to cook a mixing bowl yet? That's the point where my folks had to admit my grandmother could no longer be left in her home any more.
    No, she's never got that sort of confused, just very forgetful (short-term; as I said today, better that than the long-term) at her worst. Her biggest problem is physical - she's basically unable to walk anymore, she hasn't been able to walk with her zimmer to the car since before Christmas. She's been managing to walk into the next room to get in the wheel chair in the last couple of times. (Her not being able to use her commode is the biggest danger in that regard.) She's taking a while to orientate herself after waking up, because she is seeming to sleep quiet deeply, but once she's shaken the cobwebs off, at least the last couple of days, Mum says, she's been back to normal.

She does have carers in three times a day, so she doesn't have to do any cooking anyway.

17. - Top - End - #1187

Gran wasn't supposed to be cooking either, which is why we unplugged the range. If not for that...

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Dwarf in the Playground

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: S9 E5
    Show
    I can't really say I have any real strong feelings about this episode, it was mostly fine (except for one point where it became painfully obvious where things were headed) but it didn't feel like it had any standout moments that were really memorable. I think the best part of the episode was probably the theme, about how chasing perfection isn't something to fixate on, particularly how it was woven in without beating the audience over the head as much as other episodes have in the past.
    Now, I did find Twilight's constant bemoaning over how she supposedly ruined her librarian's life to be a little grating, especially once the episode started getting into what Dusty Pages had been up to in the meantime, but I can let that slide to a degree since it an established character trait, and this time Twilight at least had some evidence that she was to blame. That said, I did feel that some of the sequences in the retirement home did drag on a bit too long after they made their point about what was really going on.
    Overall, I'd probably give it a B-, its not great, but its fine.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Show

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: s9e5
    Show
    In which Twilight Does A Twilighting.

Not bad.

Thought I am a little disappointed Twilight didn't explode quite so much in over-reaction. I mean, sure that's character development, but it's just not quite as funny.

The preponderance of Spike's "can you beleive I put up with this [excrement]" made it all worthwhile.

Of course, the real star of the show was the guest appearance of Best Pony. (With dialogue! Yaaaaaay!)

(And also Moondancer cameo.)

Overall, while not a massive strong episode, I also didn't have any complaints about it and it had a bit of an early-season feel, I think. While a little predictable, the execution was fine and the fact that it was clearly Twilight grabbing the idiot ball (and Spike knowing she'd grabbed the idiot ball) made that less of a problem.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2019-04-27 at 08:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Spoiler: S9 Ep5
    Show
    Yawn.

I can't remember the last time I watched a pony episode where I almost dosed off partway through it. It was painfully predictable; from the librarian quitting rather than being fired, the library not upset about a late book, and the late fee being capped at something reasonable.

I think it would have been a much better episode if Twi enlisted Starlight's help to time travel back and return the book on time, setting off some ridiculous butterfly effect.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Dwarf in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Show
    Yawn.

I can't remember the last time I watched a pony episode where I almost dosed off partway through it. It was painfully predictable; from the librarian quitting rather than being fired, the library not upset about a late book, and the late fee being capped at something reasonable.

I think it would have been a much better episode if Twi enlisted Starlight's help to time travel back and return the book on time, setting off some ridiculous butterfly effect.
    Spoiler: EP5
    Show
    Well, I was surprised by the late book fees.
    I didn't visit library very much, even in Burma/Myanmar.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #1194

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Spoiler: EP5
    Show
    Well, I was surprised by the late book fees.
    I didn't visit library very much, even in Burma/Myanmar.
    Show
    The library was one place I frequented a lot back when the internet was young and innocent interesting (and mostly connected by the old text-only telnet system). The book fees capped at somewhere around $20. But it wasn't a secret in my case, so if anything, I find it a bit interesting that Twilight didn't know of the cap. I guess the old librarians liked using fear as motivation to return those books.

Also, I'm surprised the library didn't try getting in contact with Twilight either about it. My old library would mail you a post card reminder if you were late by a week. Course back then stamps didn't cost much... >.> And I guess Twilight did move to ponyville, so the post card wouldn't have reached her if she didn't forward her mail... okay yeah, probably what happened.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Show
    Yawn.

Spoiler: S9 E5
    Show
    I don't think that the predictability was the main issue with the episode (we've had plenty of excellent episodes that were totally predictable). Rather I think the bigger issue was the sheer amount of padding the episode had. The initial searching montage was especially egregious, since it served no narrative purpose beyond filling out the running time.

My Homebrew

Show

26. - Top - End - #1196

That's always a problem with pony-sodes, though.

And at my library, the fine caps out at the cost to replace the book. Better keep an eye on anything old and out of print you check out.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Banned

That's always a problem with pony-sodes, though.
    Do you mean pacing in general? Because IIRC, episodes that aren't properly paced usually feel rushed rather than padded.

28. - Top - End - #1198

It goes both ways, although padding is more of a CMC or Fluttershy thing. Got to push back the moment where you relearn the lesson you learned last focus episode, after all.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Banned

It goes both ways, although padding is more of a CMC or Fluttershy thing. Got to push back the moment where you relearn the lesson you learned last focus episode, after all.
    To be fair, the last time Twilight was actually pushed to confront her perfectionism was in School Daze. Most times, it's just played for a joke and not made the moral.

That said, this season has given me no confidence whatsoever in her actually taking steps to address that part of her character, and every indication that it will continue being played for a joke.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Heck, has she ever addressed any of her faults as something other than a joke? She's still a stuck in the mud perfectionist, doesn't really trust anypony to do the job unless absolutely forced, etc. The only area she does change is in friendship, and she keeps going back to 'take them for granted until she learns the error of her ways' (see previous comment about having to relearn the same lesson all the time).