Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread VI: Return of the Red Die

A 100 Yes.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Pixie in the Playground

Q101 If a charging/pouncing character uses an immediate action against an AoO he triggered with his movement (for example casting Wave Shield or Windy Escape), can he continue his movement and (full)attack normally afterwards?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

A 101 An immediate action will not abruptly end a charge, as long as it doesn't violate the charge's requirements to work. For example, a Swashbuckler who charges could Parry and Riposte during a charge from an AoO she provoked against a a creature with reach she's charging and then complete the charge.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 101 Yes. Immediate actions can be taken at any time the appropriate trigger happens (if any), during your own turn or outside of it, and doing so doesn't affect other actions (except of course in the rare case the immediate action results in a situation which prevents another action from being taken/completed). So casting for example Wave Shield in response to an AoO while charging is in many ways the same as taking a swift action while charging, and neither action affects your charge special full round action. Note also that any actions you take in the middle of another action remain their own separate actions. This means for example that any AoOs you make while charging don't gain the charge action's +2 bonus to the attack roll, since the AoOs aren't part of the charge action.

EDIT: Ouch! Stalker'ed by Cieryn. That's what I get for leaving in the middle of posting... /EDIT
    Last edited by upho; 2019-06-26 at 06:14 AM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Q102 If a spell sage wizard with at least 13 cha uses Skill Focus (Religion) and Eldritch Heritage (Arcane) to gain a thrush familiar, then they use their “spell study” ability to duplicate a spell like “breath of life”, can the thrush familiar hold that spell and deliver it to a fallen ally?

Q103 In the meantime, could such a wizard use scrolls and wands to still contribute to the fight without losing the spell the familiar is holding?

Q104 If this was a clockwork familiar with a wand installed instead of a thrush, could the clockwork familiar still shoot globs of acid at foes without losing the spell?

Q105 Do clockwork familiars with a wand installment deal acid damage to foes?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

A 102 Yes.

A 103 Scrolls, no, as you're still casting a spell, which would cause the spell you're holding to dissipitate, even if it's the familiar holding the charge. Wands don't require spellcasting, so yes.

A 104 Yes, spitting acid isn't spellcasting.

A 105 Outside their acid spitting, no.

Q 106 Does the damage increases from Shikigami Style and Improvised Weapon Mastery stack?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

Q107 Can a tiefling wizard with claws from the “maw or claw” racial trait have one of their claws be their bonded object? They technically are weapons, right? And you are holding your claws in your hand, so that’s satisfied, too. Something feels off about this, though.
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2019-07-01 at 09:50 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 106 No, the related FAQ clearly puts anything which increases your weapon damage die size according to the related die size tables (without also increasing your actual size) in the same "Effective Size Increases"-category of non-stacking benefits.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Spamalot in the Playground

A107: While a natural weapon is indeed a weapon, it's not actually an "object." I'd instead recommend (if you intend to use your claws/bite regularly) to pick an amulet to be your bonded object, and then use it to create an Amulet of Mighty Fists, which you can do without needing any crafting feats.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Reply
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A107: While a natural weapon is indeed a weapon, it's not actually an "object." I'd instead recommend (if you intend to use your claws/bite regularly) to pick an amulet to be your bonded object, and then use it to create an Amulet of Mighty Fists, which you can do without needing any crafting feats.
    Speaking of which, I could do a half-orc (counts as both human and orc) and take racial heritage (catfolk) and have 3 natural attacks at level 3 (or 5 if I keep orc ferocity and get the orc bite through a feat). Catfolk exemplar is how I’d get the claws. Since melee for a wizard is pretty much an option of last resort, I’m not sure if I’d rather spend 2 feats but lose an extra round of consciousness when my hp is sub 0 or just burn the 3 feats. I’d probably also take eldritch heritage to get a spiffy clockwork familiar by level 9...so I’d conserve feats. It turns out RAW, you cannot have both an arcane bond and a familiar, but you may have two arcane bonds (like voldemort). All of the above would make my feat selection look a bit like

Use toothy half-orc variant to gain bite attack
    First Bonded Object is an Amulet
    lvl 1: racial heritage (catfolk)
    lvl 3: catfolk exemplar (claws)
    lvl 5: skill focus (religion)
    lvl 7: eldritch heritage (arcane) (Get ring bonded object)
    lvl 9: Magical Epiphany

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 108

Can a creature be neither an ally nor an enemy? Say you have a Prayer spell active. Can you designate creatures to be neither allies nor foes, thus not receiving any bonuses or penalties?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A 108: I'm pretty sure there's no fully Pathfinder RAW answer for this. "Ally" and "enemy" aren't even defined RAW and the only FAQ I know of is that you usually count as your own ally. In 3.5 an ally was "a creature friendly to you" and an enemy was "a creature unfriendly to you." (CRB pp. 304, 308) If you accept those 3.5 definitions as Pathfinder RAW then yes, anyone who is neither friendly nor unfriendly to you is neither an ally nor an enemy.
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2019-07-04 at 06:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Q109:

Thunderstones do not deal damage. BUT they do affect a 10ft radius spread. Does that mean that an Alchemist throwing a thunderstone could add their intelligence modifier as damage with their Throw Anything ability? If so, would this count as sonic damage, or a different kind of damage?

or does this not work as the Thunderstone says it's thrown as ranged attack rather then as a Splash Weapon like you see on Alchemist's fire?

@V that's what i thought. Dang, our alchemist is out of ways to fight then
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2019-07-08 at 05:19 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254

A109: It doesn't work for a couple of reasons:

1) A thunderstone doesn't fit the CRB definition of a splash weapon, i.e. "a ranged weapon that breaks on impact, splashing or scattering its contents over its target and nearby creatures or objects." (A thunderstone doesn't have "contents", rather it generates an area of effect.) It is an alchemical weapon per UE, one that is thrown, but not a splash weapon (and see below.)

2) Throw Anything lets you add your Int modifier to the splash weapon's damage, but the entry for the thunderstone's damage in UE is "-", i.e. null. This is not the same as zero, rather it means that the thunderstone simply doesn't have a damage number that you can add to at all.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 110

When you detect a non-magical trap using the Perception skill, do you know what trap it is?

What about a magical trap?

16. - Top - End - #256

A110: To an extent. First, you have to beat the DC by 5+:

Creatures that succeed on a Perception check detect a trap before it is triggered. The DC of this check depends on the trap itself. Success generally indicates that the creature has detected the mechanism that activates the trap, such as a pressure plate, odd gears attached to a door handle, and the like. Beating this check by 5 or more also gives some indication of what the trap is designed to do.
    "Some indication" means you might not know everything about what it does, but the GM should tell you something beyond just that it is there.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 111

To activate one of the bloodline powers, the eldritch scion magus archetype requires to spend 1 point to enter Mystical Focus and 1 point from the pool to actually activate the ability or just 1 to enter mystical focus?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 112

Is there any non-exotic weapon from the Flail group that is finessable (or light)?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2019-07-09 at 06:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

A 112: Not innately, per the list of flail weapons in UE (and the bladed scarf). The weapons in the flail group are:

Bladed scarf: Exotic, two-handed
    Chain spear: Exotic, two-handed
    Dire flail: Exotic, two-handed
    Double chained kama: Exotic, two-handed
    Flying blade: Exotic, two-handed
    Heavy flail: Martial, two-handed
    Light flail: Martial, one-handed
    Kusarigama: Exotic, two-handed
    Kyoketsu shoge: Exotic, two-handed
    Meteor hammer: Exotic, two-handed
    Morningstar: Simple, one-handed
    Nine-section whip: Exotic, one-handed
    Nunchaku: Exotic, light
    Sansetsukon: Martial, two-handed
    Scorpion whip: Exotic, light
    Spiked chain: Exotic, two-handed
    Urumi: Exotic, one-handed
    Whip: Exotic, one-handed

The only non-exotic flails are the heavy flail, light flail, morningstar, and sansetsukon. None of them are light.

If you use Effortless Lace, you can wrap it around a "one-handed piercing or slashing melee weapon" and then "the weapon is treated as a light melee weapon when determining whether it can be used with Weapon Finesse." This would give you the morningstar and light flail as non-exotic finessable flail-class weapons.
    Last edited by Elysiume; 2019-07-09 at 11:39 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260

A111: Just the one point - this has you enter Mystic Focus, and then you count as bloodraging and can use the "must be raging" bloodline powers. The same ability is just mentioned twice with an explanatory "see below."

A112 addendum: With the right race you can pick up one of the exotic flails at low build cost. For example, a Half-Elf with Ancestral Arms or a Hobgoblin with Pit Boss.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Q113

Are there any explicit break DCs for armor? Or any rough guidelines for determining a fair approximation? The table on the PFSRD of common break DCs is...less than helpful.

Currently Running WW/Mafia: flat_footed's Fallout 3: Forecast--Rapidly Changing Conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #262

A113: Generally the way you break armor is by sundering it. If you must do it with a Str check though, there are additional break DCs on the preceding table, "Object Hardness and Hit Points"; You can use the 2-inch thick Iron Door as a starting point. Adjust the hardness and hit points for the relevant material and extrapolate the DC accordingly.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 114 If a Hinyasi with Improvisation Training wields an improvised weapon that deals more damage than their unarmed strike damage, does the damage remain unchanged?

Q 115 What does Nature's Weapons even do? Wouldn't any object you grab out in the wilderness to use as a weapon already be an improvised weapon by the fact that it's not a manufactured one? Getting to pick one up to ready it as part of a move if you have at least BAB +1 seems like the only benefit.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #264

A114: The intent is probably to let you use the higher number, but as written you're stuck with your unarmed progression. You probably won't be behind for long though.

A115: It doesn't do much of anything - at best, it'll let you use 1d6 even for a small item (like a sharp rock or twig that is analogous to a dagger.) But you can just grab a bigger rock/branch instead and save yourself a feat.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q116
    Does the bardic masterpiece "The Lullaby of Ember the Ancient" inherit the HD limit from the spell deep slumber? Does it allow a saving throw?
    Last edited by Selion; 2019-07-23 at 04:43 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

A 116 The masterpiece creates the effect on the target, so the only thing that's different is how the targeting works, as it affects who you target specifically, not the lowest hit die creatures in the area. Masterpieces provide the following for how spell effects work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Magic, Masterpieces, Effect
    Unless otherwise stated, a masterpiece’s effects are supernatural. Unwilling creatures may attempt a Will save against the effect of a masterpiece; the save DC for masterpieces is equal to 10 + 1/2 the bard’s level + the bard’s Charisma bonus. Masterpieces that duplicate spells use the bard’s caster level for the spell’s caster level.
    Emphasis mine. So yes, if the target is unwilling, they get a save, just using the Masterpiece's DC.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 117

Can a Psicrystal make a melee attack? It lacks natural weapons and hands to hold a manufactured weapon (regardless of proficiency)

28. - Top - End - #268

A117: The "Attack" line in their statblock is "–" so they have no means to attack in their normal form. There are means such as shapeshifting whereby you can give them attacks. Lacking limbs, they have no means to wield weapons, though there is probably some obscure weapon I'm not thinking of that couid be argued to work (though their Diminutive Size comes into play here.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 118

Can the Internal Dominion of the Sleeping Goddess stance negate a critical hit?

Eg: Enemy rolled a nat 20, and then confirmed with a 15. Can the stance force the reroll of the nat 20? Or can it only do so for the confirmation attack roll?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

A 118 RAW, yes. It probably falls under the same umbrella as Counters, where the Stance's ability can't be used if the attack roll is a Natural 20, as it's Counter-like. The sidebar in Path of War only talks about Counters, though, and Sleeping Goddess is a Path of War - Expanded discipline, so it's not specially addressed. You can ask in the Path of War FAQ thread about it, though.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!