New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Golden Age of Sail IC

Spoiler: Diplomacy Note
    Show
    In general, diplomacy checks should be saved for an IC attempt to explicitly change someone's attitude or convince them to your point. If you're just meeting someone and trying to be friendly, their reaction to you will be dependent on how you approach them IC. In this case, Eldon seems to just be having a friendly conversation: no roll needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    @Dimers: The party is splitting up a bit. Feel free to join either one.

@Eldon & Ota: You approach the church with Sophie as Ubirajara heads back to town for one or two more items. Heading past what looks to be a small shed - for landscaping tools, if you had to guess - you enter the double doors. There are perhaps two dozen people inside and while most were preoccupied with either prayer or quiet discussions, they all suddenly stop what they were doing and watch. The Vensinda's crew might have gotten used to your stature, but not so for most people. As you approach a priest standing in the aisle, you can hear a few whispers, and perhaps even a chuckle.

"Good morning, Eldon," the priest says in English, ignoring the quiet commentary of the others. "I'm Father Morense. I'm glad to hear His will is being done even on the open seas. How can I help?"

@Ubirajara: With enough time aboard the Black Wisp, you developed a sense of port towns like these, seeing them through the eyes of a pirate. Even if you didn't have interest in raiding the place, the rest of the crew's comments were hard to ignore. Dominia, with it's open port and apparent lack of defenses, would be an easy mark for a coordinated crew. But besides whatever the town had for food and simple supplies, there's nothing much that would interest wealth-seeking folks here. Nevertheless, you ask around.

Mostly, you're met with confused looks and shrugs, sometimes responses in words you don't understand. It would seem not a lot of people here speak any of the languages you tried. You're about to give up when...

"Hey!" A shout from a dozen paces away across the street. You lock eyes with a group of four European-looking men in simple fishing outfits. One of them is huge: maybe over six feet and muscled. He taps an oar in his hand in a way that makes you think his boat isn't near by. Two of the men are smaller: one with long dark hair, another with a deep scar across his right cheek, but you can see the one with the scar palming a knife poorly. The fourth man is the one that spoke, and you can tell by the way he leans has a limp on his left leg. He continues in passable Portuguese.

"You have some nerve coming back here. You ask around for pirates because you want to see us be scared of you? Peh." He spits on the ground. "And you think we forget the look of you that fast? You are stupid then. Go tell your crew they are-" And he continues with a long string of insults so colorful and well-formed that you wonder if cursing is the real reason he learned Portuguese.
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-08-28 at 09:03 PM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Ubirajara halt and listen to the man who shout at him and listen to his tale, threats and curses.

"You surely seem to be mistaken as I've never set foot on this village before: me and my friends are just buying wares before we set sail again", the indigean says and look at the group, "By the way your friend walk and the the big one carry the oar I take you got troubles with the dogs of the sea and we would like to avoid pirates ourselves, as they're a plague in the sea", he says and point to the one who has a limp then to the giant of a man, "I'll forgive your insults since I have no quarry with none of you and can feel sympathy those who had a bad time, so if you can put your knife back to its sheath and tell me how long the pirates have been here I'll even pay each a beer for your tale".

He dont move and keep looking at the man, "Or you can take the knife and attack a visitor who paid for all he bought: given you're armed and I'm not I can hardly see the need of the other three to proof yourself a man", he says and show his hands before he adds, "Unless the pirates took your balls as well so that you need four guys to beat such a small man like me".

The cook give the man a smile, "I'd rather spill beer instead of blood though".
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

@Ubirajara: The man narrows his eyes and seems unwilling to budge, until the scarred man to his left whispers something in what you recognize as English. He whispers back without taking his eyes off you, then responds.
    "Dogs of the sea... You can say that again. Fine. My friend says you look different than one we saw." He points his thumb towards a bar a few steps down the road. "Fine. You can buy us drinks, we'll tell you things."

The bar, Ahau's, is a simple place. There are no lights inside, but the building's walls are stripped tree trunks, and the gaps between let in enough light to see by. A very dark skinned man stands behind the counter and gives you a curious look. Besides him, the place is empty. The man with the limp, which is evident now that he's walking, says something in English and holds up five fingers. The gang of men and you sit at a rough hewn and splintery table. A moment later the barkeep - Ahau, presumably - puts a mug of beer in front of each of you and looks at you. "Fifteen pence."

Spoiler: Monetary Conversion
    Show
    Monetary conversions may vary depending on what types of coins you have. Since we didn't specify before, we're going to assume it's all British currency, as it's the most common. Everyone please turn your current bronze, silver, and gold pieces into pence, shilling and pound, respectively. Platinum is just 10 pounds

12 pence = 1 shilling
    20 shilling = 1 pound

Yes, this will mess around with how much wealth you have a bit. Also, feel free to break your coinage up into denominations as you choose. If you had 12.4 gp (or 12 gold and 4 silver), you'll now have £12, 4s. Or £11, 20s, 48d, or however you want to split it up. Welcome to Olde Times, where denominations are made up and the points don't matter!

The man with the limp taps his finger against the table a bit as he sizes you up, and takes a sip of his beer.
    "You want to know about the pirates. Fine." He takes a deep breath. "A couple days ago, they came. Big ship with black sails. Maybe twenty people. Some looked like you. That's why people didn't want to talk to you. We told them we don't have much money, so they took what we had. And food and drink. Ahau here lost almost everything. That would be bad enough, but..."
    He shakes his head. "There was a woman. Dressed in green and blue. They called her..." He thinks for a while, not able to find the right word. He calls out to Ahau, who shouts, "The Seafoam Lady."
    The man continues again. "Fine. The Seafoam Lady. She... was terrifying. Even Hamilton was scared." He points at the big man, who has put his oar down and has the mug at his lips. "And nothing scares him."
    Hamilton nods, although it looks like he's barely following the conversation. "Yes."
    "Anyway. She walked though the town looking at people. Just... looking at them. Like they were horses at a show. Do you know what horses are? Anyway. She pointed at two of our people. A couple. The crew took them. We fought back. Peter got cut bad by a sword." He nods his head towards the man with the scar along his face. "Reed got shot." All four of them pour a bit of beer on the floor that that comment. "We..." He fumbles for a word again. "One of the pirates was... killed? No, not killed. I don't know the word. He's asleep, in a cage here. He should hang for what he did, but... Our mayor wants to question him." He shrugs. "But I don't know why. Even if we know where they went, what are we going to do? Bah." He curses again. "That's it. If you want my advice on pirates: turn around and go the other way. Thanks for the beer."
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-08-28 at 09:03 PM.
    Spoiler: Small Grammatical Library: use as desired. Please return links to front desk after checking them out.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Rattlebone nods at Ota's offer. "I'll meet you up at the church building shortly." After spending some time looking for rum, tobacco and other suitable temptations to call the loa ...

Spoiler
    Show
    That's largely a flavor thing, but I'm happy to spend money if something fitting is available here.

... he does follow his companions toward the church. But despite what's implied by the symbol hanging around his neck, the bokor doesn't start with an attitude of trust for followers of the Living God, not after what happened to his mountain village. He approaches invisibly and as quietly as he can, listening at the door of the shed, looking around for the graveyard that often accompanies a church, and then listening to what's going on inside the church proper.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Ota waits patiently while Father Morense and Eldon engage in a discussion about religious matters, but the gnome quickly grows restless of it. Besides, the stares of the rest of the clergymen provide him with an irresistible hook to show off a little. He approaches the largest group of the clerics, smiling wildly.

"No, my dear fellows, you are not mistaken! You have discovered an authentic midget of yore, of the race that dwells at the foot of rainbows and brings luck to whomever manages to snatch their pointed hat!" Ota executes a grotesque somersault, and finishes with an exaggerated reverence, wisps of flame dancing around his lips.
    Then, all of a sudden, he straightens himself and speaks with a less bombastic tone.
    "Too bad others found my hat first. More seriously, my name is Ota "Tall Tale" Likola, and I come from a very remote place in Africa, among a tribe of small men like me: Pygmees. The flaming mouth, though, is a special trick of yours truly, not a Pygmee characteristic. I'll be happy to share more about myself, if you first do about you."

As the discussion progresses back and forth, Ota waits for the moment when he feels the audience is comfortable enough with him to delve deeper than small talk in the conversation.
    "In such a remote place, it might be that they are not yet all extinct...Tell me, friends, has anyone of you ever heard about a true Dragon roaming the island or its neighbours?"
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing the man putting the knife away, Ubirajara relax and nod to the group, "Beer then".

He let them show him the way and is happy to see the bar is a dark one and as promised he pay each a mug of beer and drink while listening to their narrative, "Looked like me as in... indigean?", he ask but let the man finish the story.

"And seafoam lady? Maybe a witch or something?", he drink from his beer and remain silent for a moment, "You should hang the captured one, but it might be wise to ask him why they took the couple away, where they were heading and more about this strange seafoam lady".

As promised, Ubirajara pays for their beers before bidding them farewell, "I'll let my captain know there are pirates in the area. Should we cross path with them and take them down, I'll make sure to look for the couple and have them sailed back here. Thanks for the story and may the pirates never show their ugly faces around here again".

Leaving the bar, the cook decide its time to join the others at the church, content with the information he gathered.
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

@Rattlebone: Dominia is decently large, for a young island settlement. You roam the vibrant town, stopping at some of the tradesman's stalls set up near the docks. It would seem Dominia is interested in establishing as a trading post for the ships that will be visiting these islands and the Americas. A few of the sellers try to tempt you with their wares as they pass:
    "Jewelry here. Keen on winning a lass's heart, perhaps?"
    "Cigars and Cocoa here. Twelve shilling for a box or two and six per. Ten shilling seven for a pound of cocoa, but if you get a box of cigars and cocoa, it's a pound."
    "Rum from the Americas, clear or dark, what's your poison? Two shillings for a jug, three for that tall one! Two pence for a taste, if ya like."
    "Nah, f**k his rum, come here. This here's tequila: only made in Central America. Anything good about booze, Tequila does ten times over. Five shilling for a bottle. I'll give you a taste for two pence too. But I'll warn you: after this, you can't go back to that p**s water rum."

You even spot a bordello further down the road, though if you're planning on meeting back up with the others, you might not have the time.

Whatever your purchases you make your way back to the church and, with the power of the loa, fade from sight.

First you stop by the shed. The white walled building is small, perhaps seven feet on either side. The door is locked, but there's a window on the side that you peer into. As you expected, nothing too surprising: mundane equipment line the walls: a few shovels, gardening tools, a pickaxe, a hoe. A few buckets filled with odds and ends are stacked on the ground, and on a workbench inside is a few buckets of paint: the same white color of the shed and church.

Then you pass around the side yard of the church (and past an outhouse set a bit away from the church) to the back, where the graveyard sits. It's small: evidence to suggest that this settlement isn't particularly old. There's a trio of headstones in the yard, one of which sits before a prepared grave. Stepping carefully around the open pit, you read the stone.

Reed Dolund
    1783 - 1814
    Died defending what he loved

Besides that, nothing of note immediately catches your eye back here, though as you turn around you see a small black and white cat sitting in the yard. It seems to see you, or perhaps at least smell you, since it rolls on its side expecting to be pet.

The church has two general portions to it: the main hall where mass is held, and a few rooms in back that seem to be where someone lives: probably the priest. Looking through the windows of the living area doesn't reveal much: a bedroom, well kept but boring. A living space with a bookshelf. A humble kitchen and the remains of a meal. A door back here connects to the other side of the church, and looks unlocked. Spying inside the main church, you hear peals of laughter coming from a group of people. You can't make out exactly what is being said, but you can clearly see Ota talking to them. Eldon is speaking to the priest, and Sophie - who looks put off by all the attention the townsfolk are giving to the visitors - is hanging back, looking like she would turn invisible if she had your powers.

@Ubirijara: "Looked like you... Indigean?" He stumbles, the word clearly new to him. "Darker skin, black hair. But his face was colored. Red and yellow and black."
    When you mention that this Seafoam Lady might be a witch, he shakes his head darkly. Not out of disagreement, but moreso because he hates the thought. "God, a witch? Normally I would say you are crazy for saying that. But you might not be far off. I don't know if I've ever seen a witch, but if I have, she was one."
    He nods at your parting words. "If you do that I'll buy you all the beer you want for a week, ok? Stay safe though."

One mediocre beer and a story later, you head back to the church. Ota has grabbed the attention of the townsfolk, although the priest looks less than excited about the commotion going on in his house.

@Ota: Those gathered laugh and a few clap at your performance, several gasping and backing away as flames appear around your mouth. In the back you hear someone worriedly whisper "Is it a demon?" You're spared an attempted exorcism, however, by a man in front that seems delighted. "Are you a performer, then? Like for a Circus?"
    More people seem to latch onto this idea. "Do you work with animals?" you hear someone call out.

At your request, they tell you bits about themselves. The worshipers here in Dominia are, with no disrespect, plain. Most people sailed over from Britain and started a colony here about twelve years ago. Since then they've been carving out a living on the island, though much of it remains unexplored. After a few minutes of listening to their story and sharing a bit of yourself they've warmed up to you more than when you entered, and you decide to ask about dragons. There's a small pause, followed by a uproarious laughter.

Father Morense tries and generally fails to get a hold of his flock. "People, people! This is a house of God, not a theater! Ah... well I suppose there are worse things in the world. Ota, was it? Is there something I can do for you? If you're keen on entertaining the masses, I kindly suggest you find somewhere out of this roof to do so."
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-08-28 at 09:02 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by El'the Ellie View Post
    "Cigars and Cocoa here. Twelve shilling for a box or two and six per. Ten shilling seven for a pound of cocoa, but if you get a box of cigars and cocoa, it's a pound."
    "Rum from the Americas, clear or dark, what's your poison? Two shillings for a jug, three for that tall one! Two pence for a taste, if ya like."
    "Nah, f**k his rum, come here. This here's tequila: only made in Central America. Anything good about booze, Tequila does ten times over. Five shilling for a bottle. I'll give you a taste for two pence too. But I'll warn you: after this, you can't go back to that p**s water rum."
    Rattlebone enjoys his market run, especially when it yields prices lower than he's come to expect in the cities. And the cocoa will make a good addition to his offerings. With some taste-tests to assure himself of the quality, he makes a few purchases. But he only smiles to hear the tequila merchant's speech. "Sorry, friend, it's not for me. The ladies and lords want what they want."

~-~-~ ~-~-~ ~-~-~

After inspecting the church grounds, the bokor checks that his less friendly equipment -- skull jewelry, crossbow, dagger -- is securely stowed and goes to an inconspicuous place in the foliage before fading back into view. Arriving at the open double doors in time to hear Morense's beleaguered question, he takes a seat to see how his fellow showman will turn this to his advantage. No doubt he will, of course.

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Ota basks in the laughter he generates, even though that last one was quite involuntary. Pleasant fellows.

When asked about the details of the situation by Father Morense, the small Pygmee addresses him a helpless smile and shrugs.
    "Father Morense, far from me from wanting to turn this holy place into a circus...I tend to generate this kind of reaction wherever I go, quite regardless of my intentions. Mates, shall we go out?" The sailor makes an inviting gesture to all to gather outside the church, and makes the first move to initiate the movement.
    "Life at sea tends to do that. It can be so boring at times, it tends to bring the funniest sailors to the front scene, because everyone needs a distraction. And tell you what, I'm not even the funniest sailor aboard. Wait till you encounter Master Piet." Ota immediately engages in a raucous imitation of the burly Dutchman, taking on a rocky voice, shouting out exaggerated orders and mimicking bossing around poor N'twa, who flies about cawking desperately.

If Ota manages to soften Father Morense, he lets the discussion go back and forth, until he takes the opportunity to ask him on a more serious and respectful tone:
    "I am not pure swagger, however, Father Morense, I also stand as one of the Vensinda's scholars. Here is another one: Let me introduce Mademoiselle Sophie Dubois, our cartographer and onboard scentist." Ota indicates the absent-minded Frenchwoman, who has been somewhat intimidated into silence by the magnitude of the social exchange involved.

"I myself am more of an historian. Hence my earlier question, which was asked in earnest and not to spark a bout of laughter: maybe you, Father Morense, would be more knowledgeable about this topic?"
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Ubirajara give the men a handshake and depart to the church to meet the others and see Ota already turned it into a circus.

"Eldon, Ota", he calls out as he enter the holy grounds, "Whenever you're ready we can go back to the Vensinda as the dinner wont be made by itself".

He however dont seem to press on them to hurry and instead fall into the background and allow his assistant to please his heart out in the church. A small compensation after the whole crocodile incident.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldon bows slightly to the priest, "Father Morense, It's a pleasure to meet another soul of goodness. I was expecting a small settlement on Dominica, but business seems going quite well here. I would like to know more about the locals. What is their attitude towards outsiders? What can you tell me about their cultures and religions? What..."
    Eldon is about to finish his questions but interrupt by the laughter behind. He looks back and finds Ota's little talk show. He turns to Father Morense with a sorry smile, "Please forgive Ota, he means no harm but to provide little entertainment." Then Ota leaves the church under the priest's request.
    "Well, sorry about that. I should've finish my questions. What do locals usually trade with outsiders? What do you know about the buildings on the west hills? Most importantly, is there anything I can do for god? I know that's a lot to ask. I appreciate any information that you can share. And maybe my friends here also have some questions?" He looks at other crews who stays with him.
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-09-01 at 06:28 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almostdead View Post
    "I appreciate any information that you can share. And maybe my friends here also have some questions?" He looks at other crews who stays with him.
    Eldon sees that Rattlebone has come into the building and taken off his dark glasses. The bokor makes a hand gesture to show he doesn't have anything to add, and waits impassively for Morense's reply.

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

@Eldon: While Ota strikes up conversation with the citizens, yours with the father is more reserved. He chuckles.

"We are small, though you might not know it from looking around. Just over two hundred of us, at last count. But we're industrious, and God has been kind to this island. People here like seeing visitors: we have to be, considering how dependent we are on trading with any merchant ships. There haven't been many recently, but word is that is changing. What people need is a good map of these islands, then official trade routs can open up. Although recently I would use caution: we've had some trouble with pirates in the area. Nothing you need to concern yourself here, but I would pass the warning along to your captain.

As for those here. We're British, if the accents didn't already give it away. A colony, and as such we borrow much of our values and traditions from the Empire. --" Just like you, he is cut off by the antics.

@All: Father Morense and a few of the Practitioners move a few paces outside, though some remain in the church and resume they were doing before your arrival. The man turns to Eldon and says, "I think the merchants would be better suited to trade questions. Food, mostly, but occasional exotic goods. Lumber from trees from the Americas. Fish. As for what you can do for God?" He pauses, considering the question for a bit. "That's a big question. You are a devout man, that much is plain to see, and you seem like you already follow His word. Keep on that path. I don't know you enough to give you more specific advice than that.
    Good afternoon Miss Dubois." He greets the french woman, though gives only a small wave in response. As you press him on the matter of dragons, Father Morense grows more stern.
    "Mister Ota, if you fancy yourself a man of science and history, then I suggest you break the habit of treating fairy tales as anything but. Great winged beasts that breath fire? There are a number of dangerous creatures in this world, but none such as the children's bedtime stories describe."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Golden Age of Sail IC

The cook listen and waits for the rest in silence: even though it wasnt an awe-inspiring church, the temples made by the europeans usually gave him pause and disconfort. He wait for the preacher to stop speaking and then look to Eldon and the others.

"We need to warn the crew about the pirates and bring the food back to the Vensinda", he says and start moving away.

Once away from the church and any bystander, he speak to them, "One of the villagers got killed by pirates and two were taken. Some of them mistook me as a pirate due my hair and skin, but I was quick to clarify the mistake. Still I'd rather leave now before someone else make the same mistake".

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, well. Too bad. I was hoping there could be something here.
    Ota knows better than to start an uphill struggle to prove his point with Father Morense. He has had this exact same discussion development more than once. Sighting Ubirajara, Ota understands it is time to make way back to the ship.
    "Well, Father Morense, I would be remiss not to thank you for your kind welcome here on Dominia. I am seeing our cook has come back from purchasing our food-related needs, and now is the time, for me at least, to bring them back aboard our Vensinda..
    Ota also thanks the crowd of the faithful for the enjoyable time they have spent together, and instructs N'twa to remain there with Sophie and Eldon.
    "If you stay a little while longer, send him to me when you start heading back to the ship, so that we'll know you've started moving."

The Pygmee rejoins his master cook, and walks alongwith him.
    "What was it you just said? Pirates? Ok, that island just got a whole less peaceful at once. Have you seen our bokor? I'd like to have him with us to scout the way back as well."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldon nods while listening to Father Morense and the others, "Thank you, all of you. It's time that we go back to the ship and inform our captain about this. I'm not sure how long we will stay. But if you ever need my help, you can find me there." Then he takes out 20 pounds from his purse and gives them to Father Morense. "It's a donation to the church. May Archangel watch over you! " He bows again and walks out of the church.

Eldon joins with Ubirajara and Ota outside. And they decides to return to the ship and finds Rattlebone on their way back.
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-09-10 at 05:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Father Morense takes the pouch of pounds with a surprised, but thankful expression. "Your kindness is greatly appreciated, Eldon. And may the Lord watch over you. I'll ask the parish to pray for your safe journey."

Spoiler: Friendly Reminder
    Show
    Remember that the generic 'gold pieces' isn't a thing in this world. You may find pieces of gold that you can sell or barter with, and certain coinage uses gold, but no one knows what a GP is.

Sophie follows the rest of you readily as you ready to leave. "I appreciate being on land again, but if there is piracy afoot, we might not want to stay in a place they could return to for long."

With the supplies in tow, the five of you head back through the main, packed-dirt street of Dominia. At the docks of the settlement, you find your small rowboat where you left it tied up, waiting to return to the Vensinda.

Whoever decides to row, a handful of minutes later Roisin and a few shiphands of the Vensinda scurry down ropes and affix them to baskets and crates, and start hauling the goods up. They also drop a rope ladder for the boat's five passengers and, when it's empty, haul up the ship itself.

Back aboard, you can hear the dutchman shouting orders to the crew to start shoving off. After a moment, Esteban approaches you with his usual swagger.

"So, what's the word on Dominia? No trouble getting things, I see."
    Last edited by El'the Ellie; 2019-09-09 at 02:40 PM.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"No, Captain, the supplies were easy enough, and trade here could prosper. But we had two separate reports of pirate activity nearby. The people are troubled. Ubirajara heard the most -- you'd be best informed by heading to the galley. Have you heard anything from those who went to the western hills?" Rattlebone's response seems a bit distant, as if the prospect of pirates bears no emotional significance.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Leading the others, the cook take rows and sail back to the ship, were he begin to order his assistants to take all the wares to the kitchen area when the captain ask about what they heard about.

"Pirates, yes", he agree with Rattlebone, "Took two of the villagers away and killed another for trying to stop them. They also seemed to have a witch or something that they called Seafoam Lady. Other than that, their village seems a good trading post: good prices and a good variety of stuff to spend money on".

He wait for the captain to dismiss him before going belowdeck and start preparing dinner and watch over the work of his assistants.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Ota adds his own observations.
    "The local folk is quite welcoming, Captain, that's a given, and they rather enjoyed having some fresh people visiting. I thinks life down here is satisfactory, if a bit bland. For my taste, anyway. Dominia would make a rather good fallback place in case we run into problems around these islands."

The Pygmee makes a friendly handwave towards his cannonmaster, somehat feeling guilty for having mimicked him not in the most advantageous manner back at the church. He will then follow Ubirajara in the kitchen, to start preparing dinner. At some point during the evening, he reaches out to Rattlebone. His rather detached report has not gone unnoticed by the small sailor.
    "Hello, mate. I haven't seen much of you during our visit back then. How did you occupy yourself? And doesn't the prospect of encountering pirates around here worry you? Seems like it's gliding against your mind like fresh water against a fish. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not overjoyed by the idea, even more so if they're brutal enough to not hesitate before killing."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

The captain scratches his chin and considers your reports of the island.

"Bah, I don't like hearing that. It's been smooth sailing so far, and I aim to keep it that way. Pirates aren't known to make things go smooth. And witchcraft?" He shakes his head. "Probably just superstitious folk...

No news from the others yet. But that's expected, they shouldn't be back for a few hours." He nods. "I'll make a note in case we need to come back here. Could be a good place to weather out a storm if needs be. Alright, help get these things belowdecks, and then get ready to set sail. We leave after the others are back aboard."

The next few hours pass in normalcy as you unpack and discuss your trip. Eventually, commotion around the ship clues you in that the others have returned. The group of five crew members look unharmed and in good spirits.

"Ubirajara! Hey, cook! Reckon you can make something out of this?" One of the crew, a young dutch man named Coen, shouts up to the Vensinda as their boat approaches. In his arms - and the arms of two of the others - is an enormously long tentacle. Blue on one side, white on the other, the thing is almost eight feet long and as big around as a man's waist. Judging from their strain lifting it, it must be over two hundred pounds.

"Oi!" Piet roars out to the men in dutch. "What the nine hells is that?"

"I dunno! We found it rolling along the shore. Musta come from something f*ckin' big. Figured our cook can turn it into soup or something!"

The crew heaves it on board along with the rowboat, and the tentacle hits the deck with a wet slap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone can make a knowledge nature and/or heal check.

Piet slaps his hands to his forehead even as Coen and the others start excitedly chattering to each other. The captain corrals them for just long enough to get their report of the other side of the island: fairly tame, though uninhabited, and with little place to drop anchor.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    "Hello, mate. I haven't seen much of you during our visit back then. How did you occupy yourself?"
    "Getting some personal supplies. And enjoying a little time off duty and on land. Nothing of consequence." Rattlebone seems just as mild about this as he seemed about piracy.

"And doesn't the prospect of encountering pirates around here worry you? Seems like it's gliding against your mind like fresh water against a fish. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not overjoyed by the idea, even more so if they're brutal enough to not hesitate before killing."
    "Ah. To tell you God's honest truth, Ota, I'm of two minds about a pirate attack, and the much larger of those two has no more enthusiasm for conflict than you. But the other, the other, the one I won't throw in the face of our own allies ..." Rattlebone glances about to make sure no one is following the conversation. "In the right circumstances, I could strike terror into the hearts of an entire ship's crew, and I would deeply enjoy seeing the animal fear on their faces. All the more because it would turn around the fear they have inflicted on others. I won't create my own danger, but should pirates try to engage us, they will sorely regret giving me my excuse." He wears a small and cold smile, exuding the confidence of a dragon.

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Golden Age of Sail IC

Ubirajara was on his way to his dark kitchen when he hear the sailors calling out his name and wait to see and check that big tentacle they got their hands on.

"I can make no promises, but I'll see if I can make something out of it...", he then grab the thing and drag it belowdeck, refusing help of anyone to carry the rubbery thing.

Once on the confort of his kitchen, he leave the tentacle on a far corner and look at both hos assistants.

"Pay attention, little ones", he point to the tentacle, "I dont want any of you messing or poking that thing. Am I clear?", he stare at both and let Eçaiara free from his clothes and allow her to hunt rodents for the night, "Also make sure yo pour a tad larger portion of food for those who found this thing: not too much, but enough for them to not feel so bad for carrying such thing for nothing".

With the tentacle dealt with, he ran the kitchen and after the dinner is long gone, he give the rest of the night for the Eldon and Ota to do as they please, but away from the kitchen. It's just after he's left alone that he begin to evaluate the grim treasure he was given.

Picking some tools from thin air, he start cutting it and working to get the most out of it.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

"He. Didn't know you were the one to speak for God's truth - which god, exactly?" comments Ota with a mischevious wink. The rest of the bokor's answer, however, dampens a little his mood to crack jokes.
    "Wowow, mate. That's a little scary right here right now, actually. Is that a manifestation of your special gifts as well? You can do more than pull doves out of nowhere? Tell you what, I'm torn being wanting to see what you can do, and not wanting to see what you can do. But I guess that's something less publicly acceptable than roasting shipmates alive, since you didn't display your powers to everyone like I did...or it's not really your way to show the ace your sleeve?" Ota is both intrigued and somewhat creeped out.
    "Well anyway, as long as there's nothing I need to know beforehand in order to not get in your way, fine by me. I guess we all have our time for our big reveal at some point."

The two discuss for a little while. When the big fleshy tentacle hits the deck, Ota is also very interested.
    "Woah! By the beard of Davy Jones...wait a minute, this is the beard of Davy Jones! Seen him around, mates?" Ota smiles to Cohen and his crew, having spoken in Spanish.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (History) check to recall any giant squid legend or story: (d20+9)[16]

A little later, Ota is relieved to be ordered not to handle the thing by his master cook. Alongwith Eldon, he happily serves the dishes for dinner, serving a slightly larger portion to Cohen's crew as instructed. When the time comes to hand out his bowl of soup to Captain Esteban, Ota takes his chance to ask a question.
    "Here you go, Captain. Beware, it's very hot...it's not kraken soup yet, Ubirajara is still scratching his head about how to get something edible out of that nightmare stuff." Ota, being warded by his aura, passes around the hot bowls without any discomfort however.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Protection from Elements makes you comfortable around temperatures up to 140 degrees F, that should make it possible to handle hot bowls once they've cooled off just a little bit.

"But now Captain, if I may ask: What's the next destination?"
    Last edited by remetagross; 2019-09-14 at 01:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"Tell you what, I'm torn being wanting to see what you can do, and not wanting to see what you can do. But I guess that's something less publicly acceptable than roasting shipmates alive, since you didn't display your powers to everyone like I did...or it's not really your way to show the ace up your sleeve?" Ota is both intrigued and somewhat creeped out.
    "A man must have his mysteries." Rattlebone keeps a straight face, but Ota can tell he appreciates the impact his words have had. "Suffice it to say, friend, that many of the stories are true. This reflects your own circumstances. But unlike your reputation, proof of mine won't be lauded or applauded. Implying it will be enough for now."

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

@Ota: Stories are full of sailors encountering massive creatures out on the ocean. Half of them are no doubt blown way out of proportion -literally- or are the ramblings of men that lost their vessel in a bad storm and came back with only half their wits. But the other half..? Certainly there are huge things in the open ocean. Whales are common enough and can be dozens of feet long, but no trustworthy record you've read has ever mentioned a tentacled creature as large as that. Stories, though, mention some things: a kraken, a leviathan, the Jörmungandr. The people of Japan tell stories of Umibōzu, shadowy tentacled people that can take down ships. The ancient Greek tale of the Scylla is famous among historians.

Your joke gets a boisterous laugh from Coen and the others, and the young man replies. "Well, we ain't seen him on this island. Maybe if he comes for us we can trade him back part of his beard huh?"

Later, as you pass around steaming bowls of fish stew, Dominica is already stretching into the horizon, and you ask the Captain about the path forward. He accepts the bowl with a smile, and talks between bites. "Well Ota, I'd give you a name if it had one. Sizeable chunk of land, about a day north east of here. Less, if the winds are favorable. As near as I can tell we're one of the first to really lay eyes on it, so we'll sure be the first to chart it. Hell, if fortune is on our side, we may even get to name it."

@All: It's a chilly night for this party of the world, which is a welcome change from the baking heat, and sleep comes easier than most nights. Early in the morning, you hear a load call come from the crow's nest. Not urgent, like you might expect in the case of danger, but certainly unexpected. Whether it wakes you up or rouses you from your early rituals, curiosity draws you above decks.

The sea is fairly calm, though a stiff breeze pushes at your back. The sky is dark and overcast, threatening to rain any moment. Far in the distance, you can make out an island: it's profile is shaped a bit like a claw, with a jagged peak rising up on one side.

On deck, you see the Captain, Genoveva, and Piet all having a serious, heated discussion in French. Roisin sits on a crossbeam for the sail with her hair tied back, turning a spyglass a bit nervously in her hands. Sophie sits on a supply crate off to the side, not part of the discussion but following along.

"-- and we weren't hired to be cowards! Do you want to just run every time we see anyone?" Piet's boisterous attitude is noticeable, even if you don't understand the words.
    "This is dangerous Piet. I'm not about to risk what has been a safe venture because we don't know how to pick our battles." The Captain's voice is just as raised as the dutchman's which strikes you as the only time you've heard him shout without needing to be louder than the sea.
    "Ah hell, the whole damn ocean is dangerous. We knew that -- no, they knew that when they took the job."
    Genoveva cuts in, her words far more measured than either of the men. "Suppose we do go. What then? It's hardly as if we won't be noticed. Do we tell them to just carry on? Can we really be so blind to whatever they are doing?"
    "Turning back would be making the same choice, but sooner!" Piet grumbles and looks up at the sky in exasperation. It's unclear exactly what they're arguing about, though Piet seems a bit outnumbered.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Ota hurries to the deck at the sound of the vigil's cry. His eyes first set on the vague outline of the island before them, but his attention is promptly attracted to the discussion taking place between the captain and his first mates. Remembering that Eldon does not speak French, Ota translates the gist of the exchange to him in Spanish. The Pygmee exchanges a meaningful look with Rattlebone.

"Tell you what mate, I've got the feeling I'll get to witness what you're capable of sooner rather than later."

Ota gathers near his shipmates, waiting for the Captain to actually explain what the matter at hand is. The crew, alerted by the signal, starts to press near the heated debate, and the Pygmee can see manysailors both anxious to know what is happening, and too intimidated by the gloominess of the exchange to dare intervene. He finally takes the opportunity to pipe up at a moment when the discussion seems to come to a brief halt.

"Erm, hello Captain, hello Roisin, hello Master Piet, beg your pardon for this question...so it seems this island ahead of us is not one on which we're the first to lay eyes on?"

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

@Ubirajara: Work on extracting the poison is slow and tedious, but it is also fruitful. Several hours later, you have the liquid pulled out and suspended in a common solution to prevent it from going bad, and know just a bit more about it. Although you're immune to the worst effects of the poison, you've accidentally pricked your fingers enough to know what the effects might be: a powerful paralytic, though by itself it shouldn't kill. In it's natural state a proper dose could paralyze a whale, though you've had to dilute it substantially to keep it preserved. Enough for three doses, divided as you like among one, two, or three vials.

@All: The four gathered (and Sophie from a bit farther away) turn to open the conversation up to you all. Roisin seems like she saw you approaching, but the others were so invested in the discussion that it seems like they only recently noticed you. The captain sighs, lifts his hat and anxiously runs his hand through his long hair.

"Not exactly, Ota. Roisin saw sails there already. Black sails: probably the pirates the people of Dominica mentioned, if I had to guess."
    Piet cuts in. "And these two want to turn tail!"
    Genoveva opens her mouth to respond, but decides against it as Estoban growls back. "I want to keep my crew safe. We've had blessed fortune these past months with little hardship. I'm not eager to spit in Lady Luck's face and go pick a fight with a crew of violent, pillaging criminals!"
    Finally Genoveva does speak up, her voice more accustomed to French than the other two. "Thanks to you all, we know that they have innocent people with them. Now we must decide: are we going to do nothing and leave them to their fate? Or risk our own crew, our own selves, to help them?"
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Eldon listens to Ota's translation with a worried look.
    Then he waves his hands to get other's attention before he speaks. "Captain and good fellows, may I have a word with you? I understand that not all of us are obligated to help others. And I respect your choice. However, please consider this. In this callous world where people can be so focused on what they're doing, a simple act of kindness can make all the difference. We all hopes that someone would give us a helping hand in a moment of dire need. It would be unfair to ask you to risk your life. But shouldn't we at least try to make it right instead of just running away?
    He takes a breath and continues, "Besides, Dominica is a well established settlement and trade post. It's in our best interest to help them. After all, the fragrance always stays in the hand that gives the rose."
    Eldon finishes his speech and look at others. Especially his teammates, waiting for their opinions.
    Last edited by Almostdead; 2019-09-18 at 06:59 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

After many hours laboring, the indigean look at the three vials of poison he extracted from the tentacle and gve them a small smile. In his native tongue he speaks to Eçaiara, "Interesting that the even in death one can find a boon".

He close his eyes for what seems to be a few seconds, before the arguing managed to wake him from his sleep. Grumbling, the cook make his way abovedeck and stay close to be able to listen to Ota's translation and later Eldon's speech.

"I'd rather save them", he says outloud in spanish, "a good relation with the city might proof very profitable and maybe the pirates got a treasure that we could put to a better use". He keep the promise of a large ammount of beer as well as the will to find more about the pirate's movements to himself.