New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (IC) New Bedford by Night: WtF II

Having witnessed the rather unpleasant retort from Izidakh to Bear, Kara kept her own mouth shut for now. Instead of actively engaging the dog spirit, she spent some time scrolling through her phone and checking to make sure the funds were available to have the credit card transaction go through when Blaze found the computer he wanted.

When she heard the confirmation from the dog spirits that they’d aid them, she playfully slugged Michael on the shoulder with a grin.

”Well, that’s settled then! Where too next?”
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Blaze got to work, putting together the new rig.

(OOC: What exactly is Blaze going about doing? It sounds like this may require an Int+Crafts roll if it is going to be part of putting the hardware together, or modifying how it's put together somehow.)
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

“What I really want to know is why we can’t be the ones to kill this lost pack member? Not that I’m murderous or anything but it seems...weird. Shouldn’t we have the ability to...put down...one of our own who has really lost it? ‘He who passes the sentence should swing the sword’ and all that?”

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    Blaze got to work, putting together the new rig.

(OOC: What exactly is Blaze going about doing? It sounds like this may require an Int+Crafts roll if it is going to be part of putting the hardware together, or modifying how it's put together somehow.)
    Blaze is going to do some software stuff on the new computer to hide some Utilities that will make it easier to do some hacking. The hardware he is buying with Kara’s credit card, but it would save some time if he installed all his hacking suite from home before donating the computer. He will, of course, hide it so not anyone can find it easily.

Spoiler
    Show
    its mostly a fluff line because I’m assuming if you’re going to hack an inventory management system, you probably wouldn’t use an off the shelf Mac or windows OS. You’d need a shady application written by a shady anonymous individual .
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-10-27 at 07:15 PM.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara places a hand on Michael's shoulder and whispers low in his ear, "I think we are proposing hunting with the assistance of the spirits, not sending them in our stead." She pats the pup on the shoulder, grinning slightly.

Blaze gets to work taking apart the old computer, and setting up a customized rig.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Please give me Int/Dex + Crafts, the number of successes will have consequences.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear explains to Michael, "The oath of the moon was passed to us by Mother Luna a very long time ago, it has shaped our path ever since. For good or ill, there is no exception in the oath concerning the restriction on killing one of our own."

"Any flexibility there lies in terms of last resorts. I would not expect you to spare the life of our fallen brother if doing so would mean your own death for instance, or the deaths of other members of our pack, oath or no oath. But as we sit here and now, we have an alternative, a way to do that which must be done while adhering to our vow. Does that help your understanding?"

He looks around, "If we are all ready to begin the hunt, we should get moving. Izidakh, as you say we do not command you and yours, but for your sake I would suggest remaining out of our fallen brother's path, let us bear the brunt of his wrath."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara nods her head at Bear's statement, and replies, "I am ready to hunt."

Izidakh's pack remains relatively silent with a few yips and barks in reply. Izidakh steps forward, head up in a noble stance and says, "We are ready. What is our strategy?"

(OOC: Thank you Daishain for helping to move things along)
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

Beholder

Michael nods, listening to both Kara and Bear.

“It makes sense, I guess. And yeah, I wouldn’t want to ask them to help if we weren’t in danger too. But I’m ready for the hunt, too. Sad as it is. What’s our strategy? Maybe Izidakh and his pack can give us a perimeter, ready to come in when we wear him down?”

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It had taken Blaze a little longer than he had liked to get everything with the computer set up, but he had eventually finished and was satisfied with the results. He carried the hardware back to the New Bedford Library. The giant space was as silent as it was earlier this morning, but now an older woman he assumed was the librarian was seated at the entrance desk, reading a massive book the size of a dictionary.

The woman is near bald, her prominent and pale cranium barely covered by a few wisps of lacy white hair. Her face is round, wrinkled and flabby, her bulbous icteric eyes studying the book nearly unblinkingly from behind a pair of small wire rimmed spectacles. Centuries appear to have worn down the librarian's spine so that she is stooped at a near 90 degree hunchback that diminishes the length of her torso and neck. Perhaps due to her time indoors, the woman's skin is a colorless grey.

The librarian looks up from her book, a look of surprise and stern appraisal playing across her face as she studies Blaze as he enters with the new computer. Her voice is practically a croak, as she says, "Can I help you young man?"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

"Yes," Blaze said, "I was told to donate this computer to the New Bedford Public Library. Is this the right place?"
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The librarian adjusts her glasses to allow her big rheumy eyes a better look at the punk rocker. "I'm sorry," she says with equal parts confusion and suspicion, "you were told to donate that?" She points a stubby finger at the machinery in Blaze's arm, standing up from her desk. "I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about this," the librarian says.

Show
    Wanna give me Manipulation + persuasion/subterfuge?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

“You do take donations, don’t you?” Blaze asked.

Spoiler
    Show
    zero successes.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Solo nodded along 'They must hunt as wolves do, constant harriers, always threatening but seldom seen. A charge that can come from any direction at any moment.
    Kara, you will lure him out of the cave. It's probably far too late to talk him down, but I'd feel better trying and you're by far the most charming of us. Bear, Micheal and I will surround, cut off retreat and together we try and put him down as painlessly as possible.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

14. - Top - End - #74

Beholder

“Alright. That part I can do. So basically when negotiations fail...we strike. I’m ready.”

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

”Sure thing!” Kara chirps happily. She’s been itching to stretch her legs, and letting raging, maddened Uratha chase her into a trap sounded like just what the doctor ordered. ”I’ll go in on two legs. If I need to change, I will. Just be ready. I’m like…too pretty to get mauled, yeah?”

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The librarian's round yellow eyes narrow as she begins to walk around her desk, still studying Blaze cautiously. Now standing in front of her desk but several arms lengths away from the punk Uratha, the librarian croaks, "No, we are not just taking donations. All computers have to be purchased and approved by the library IT department."

She pauses for a moment before adding with venom, "Though your generosity is appreciated. Now is there anything else I can help you with?"

On the other side of the Hisil, Blaze can see the information and computer spirits gathering with excited curiosity at the arrival of this new piece of technology.

With the plan finally agreed upon, the Anchor Wolves and their allies in the dog spirits trek across the coast till they come upon the tall black mountain where Solomon had previously discovered Juno. The low grasses near the mountain have been pulled up and shredded by claws, and the scent of Uratha fur, urine and droppings hangs pungent in the air. Looking closely, the soil is also littered with small animal bones, immaterial in their spirit substance; not so much the carcasses of old prey, but the warning of death that hangs over these lands. Though the scent of the mad werewolf hangs heavy over this land, he cannot be immediately sensed.

The barren quality to this part of the Hisil is uncomfortable, the air too dry so that the lips and skin almost blister, and the skin seems to prickle with the sensation of biting fire ants. The smaller dog spirits whine and whimper as the pack approaches, and a shriveled gaffling even tries to flee, only to be gobbled up by a growling mastiff of a spirit.

Show
    So I leave it up to the players and Erulasto/Kara with how to proceed. The pack has entered a Barren, a land so stripped of Essence and dormant spirits, that all gifts/rites/numina/manifestations take a -3 penalty to activate.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

“Yeah, where’s the IT department?” Blaze asked.
    TC for short

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

”Charming place.” Kara muttered as she haphazardly kicked at some of the scattered bones about their feet, sending them clattering across the barren ground. ”I can like…smell it…but finding him isn’t necessarily in my skillset. I’m going to just run ahead making a bunch of noise and hope that attracts him. Or I could like…injure myself, y’know? Maybe the scent of blood will draw it out.”

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Kara wasn't wrong, this place felt so strongly of nothing, it confused the senses 'Yes, you go ahead, make as much noise as you like, draw him out, see if you can talk any sense into him, be ready to run... And good luck.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The librarian continues to cross past her desk to stand directly in front of Blaze, as if to block his way. However, the hunched over woman with the round yellow eyes barely comes up to Blaze's chest. Defiantly, she says, "I am sorry sir, but I'm afraid you cannot leave that here." Her breath smells of seaweed, her glare as cold as the Atlantic waters that crash against the New Bedford bay.

(OOC: Just going with Blaze's failed roll)

With every step Kara takes in approaching the cave entrance, the smell of Uratha becomes more and more powerful. The stench is familiar, but causes every hair to reach out in preparation, her lips to curl back in a snarl, and her flesh to ripple with the desire to shift towards Gauru. But proximity also brought certainty, Kara could smell the mad Uratha deep within the cave.

(OOC: probably gonna need a roll depending on how Kara is going about this)
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bear stays close behind Kara, as ready as he can be to intercept the maddened Uratha. He is padding along in dire wolf form for the moment.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

22. - Top - End - #82

Beholder

Michael accompanies Bear, in the same form, essentially flanking Kara from the same distance, ready to rush in if...when...things went awry.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

“That’s fine,” Blaze said, “I’m just asking where’s the IT guy?”
    TC for short

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Will give Erulasto till tomorrow morning, then will have Kara act rather than have everyone keep waiting. I'm sure he'll post tomorrow morning though )

The librarian's face is filled with a comical defiance, highlighted by the frailty in her face and stooped aged posture. "He's... out sick," the woman says bluntly, though there is an almost awkwardness in how she chooses her words.

(OOC@TC: please give me composure + empathy please)
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Kara shifts into Dalu, swaggering out into the field before the cave entrance. Her eyes coolly scan the terrain, as she approaches with loping steps. She stops about 100 feet away from the cave entrance and stops. Her extended lupine eyes twitch as she listens for a sign of her prey, before a hungry grin spreads across her face. She throws her head back and lets go a wild howl, the noise seeming to shake the very earth, and whipping the dog spirits into a frenzied reply.

As the cacophony dies down, she reaches her arms forward towards the cave entrance and in an almost musical call says, "Lost child of Mother Luna and Father Wolf, come out or we are coming for you. The wolves are at your door and there is nowhere to hide. Come out and meet us with sanity rather than madness. Come out and meet us with humility rather than with violence, and I promise your death shall be swift!" Her words are filled with Essence, the brands of Renown on tattooed into her flesh glowing bright green, and blue and golden.

Show
    Kara activates her Hunter's Aspect (pg 98) to apply the Resigned condition (pg 310) on the Uratha. She will roll Presence + Intimidation + Glory vs. her the quarry's Composure + Primal Urge

Kara (5d10)[9][6][7][7][8](37) and 10 again (5d10)[5][4][2][7][5](23)
    Harbor Wolf (5d10)[9][8][5][2][3](27)

A low snarl rumbles its way out of the cave mouth, a vicious mad warning against coming any closer.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-11-11 at 02:04 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    (OOC: Will give Erulasto till tomorrow morning, then will have Kara act rather than have everyone keep waiting. I'm sure he'll post tomorrow morning though )

The librarian's face is filled with a comical defiance, highlighted by the frailty in her face and stooped aged posture. "He's... out sick," the woman says bluntly, though there is an almost awkwardness in how she chooses her words.

(OOC@TC: please give me composure + empathy please)
    “Okay, what’s the email address or phone number?” Blaze said, hefting the laptop and pulling out his phone, “I’ll get my boss to take care of this properly.”
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2019-11-11 at 11:10 PM.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

The Cahalith’s retort to the snarled warning was a mercurial laugh. Those loping strides brought her again closer to the cave entrance, though muscles tight and ready to spring into a run at the first sign of pursuit.

”We don’t have all day. Be a dear and come out like a good little lost cub, yeah? Don’t like…drag this out anymore than we have to!”

Show

Sorry Benno. Thanks for posting for me!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Solo ghosts up to the side of the cave, a low sleek grey profile that was always in motion but never seemed to actually move.

Spoiler
    Show
    dex+stealth
    3+4
    (7d10)[10][8][3][7][8][2][2](40)
    10 again
    (7d10)[2][7][3][8][8][6][6](40)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

A snarky grin spreads across the librarian's face as she says, "Your boss wanted you to 'donate' that new computer equipment?" She rolls her big round yellow eyes at Blaze, still grinning, and adds under her breath loudly enough for him to hear, "I can't imagine who would hire a punk like you anyways." Before Blaze can respond, her voice rises to a more conversational volume, and moving towards the desk, her eyes somehow remaining watchfully on Blaze, she says, "Just wait there one moment and I'll get you the email of Mr. Olmstead, our IT man." She shuffles back to the desk, and begins riffling slowly through a number of drawers, before she returns with a wilted looking business card for Barnabus Olmstead, Department of Information Technology at the New Bedford Public Library. "Here you go," the librarian says, as she carefully places the card on top of the stack of computer equipment that Blaze is carrying. Seemingly pleased with herself, the librarian asks, "Will that be all now?"

************************************************** ********************************

Kara's jab is met with a loud bellowing roar, that appears to grow louder as it goes on. Solomon ghosts around the field, moving to flank the side of the cave entrance. He pads across the spirit-scape noiselessly, a literal shadow within the Hisil. "Go away or die!" howls the Uratha who once was a member of the Harbor Wolves. His words are spoken in forced First Tongue, as if the language is difficult to produce, "TRESPASSERS!"

The werewolf lopes into view, stepping out of the shadows of the cave entrance. He is in war form, a towering lithe figure, all matted grey fur, fangs and glowing red eyes. Black lips curl back in a snarl to reveal jaws filled with massive sharp teeth, and his tongue lolls like a dead worm out the side of his mouth. Scars and sigils decorate the Uratha's figure, shimmering in faint golden light. The mad thing throws his head back and howls one more time in an enraged and sad warning, a lone wolf desperately facing down a hoard of enemies.

Spoiler: OOC EDIT:
    Show
    So if combat is starting now, we are going to do this as a beat down fight, which means everyone only needs to make one roll. I think this is valid because Silent Talons is so heavily outnumbered. Kara has also applied the Resigned condition to him, as the tie goes to the runner here. So everyone can feel free to make one attack or equivalent roll based on how they would approach combat. Ladorak, feel free to take a +2 for the successful stealth roll.

However, don't feel we have to start combat right now if people want to do other things.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-11-12 at 12:10 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze

Blaze ignored her and started texting Kara.

Let me know when you're free. I might need you to be my boss, because the library doesn't accept random donations of computers, apparently.
    After hitting send, he looked up. If the librarian is still staring him down, he'll try to send her off on some mundane errand.

"No, I need to do some research too," he said, "see if you can find me something on how the pyramids were built."

Then he powered on the laptop next to the computer where the spirit had requested it as a gathra. If questioned about it: "Why would I use these dinky old machines when I can use a brand new one, that you don't want?"

"Will this be an acceptable gathra?" he asked in the First Tongue.
    TC for short