New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default I am bad at Rimworld

I finally bought Rimworld. It goes on the long list of games I'm officially crap at. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, but sweet jesus am I bad.

I'd say I'm on game 6 or 7 now, and every time it seems it's something new that kills me (which you should read as 'sets me back enough that I start over'). One base caught on fire. One time my crop failed just as we entered winter. One time I opened an ancient shrine - that one was fun. It's always some new bottleneck or threat that ends up screwing me over.

This time, I've started as a single, naked survivor - cause I figured, that way there can't be too many bottlenecks. Right? I always need enough for precisely one person.

So three dogs joined me, out of nowhere. Joy, right? That's defence, and workforce, and companionship - all rolled into one. Only it turns out keeping three dogs and one woman with food is more than a full time job for the one with the opposable hands. So now I'm contemplating having two of the dogs become part of the food supply.

Training alone means my poor survivor goes hungry most of the time. I suppose I could turn that off, but then what's the point of the dogs in the first place.

Ohh - this game =D

You are invited to read and laugh as I detail the manifold troubles of my errant rimworld colony.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: I am bad at Rimworld

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptin Keen View Post
    This time, I've started as a single, naked survivor
    I feel that might be where some problems come in, as I understand that that's the hardest starting scenario. (You don't have enough labour to get things progressing fast, no starting guns, food, no equipment, medicine...) So, if you're continually doing Naked Brutality... yeah, that might be an issue.

But, in general, don't feel bad about continually wiping. From the stories I've heard, that happens to everyone their first several dozen colonies.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

So three dogs joined me, out of nowhere. Joy, right? That's defence, and workforce, and companionship - all rolled into one. Only it turns out keeping three dogs and one woman with food is more than a full time job for the one with the opposable hands. So now I'm contemplating having two of the dogs become part of the food supply.

Training alone means my poor survivor goes hungry most of the time. I suppose I could turn that off, but then what's the point of the dogs in the first place.

Ohh - this game =D
    Dogs save you a lot of work in the long term, but they're a major time investment. You need a total of ten successful trains (3 for Obedience, 7 for Haul) to get to the point where they can haul, which is what makes them really useful. If you only have one part-time animal trainer, then training three dogs will take a REALLY long time, especially if your skill isn't all that high.

You also have to feed them. This is easy in the mid to late game if you have a constant supply of enemy corpses dog food and a freezer to store it in, but can be a big hassle early on.

One trained dog is doable for a one-woman colony, three is probably over-ambitious.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I feel that might be where some problems come in, as I understand that that's the hardest starting scenario. (You don't have enough labour to get things progressing fast, no starting guns, food, no equipment, medicine...) So, if you're continually doing Naked Brutality... yeah, that might be an issue.

But, in general, don't feel bad about continually wiping. From the stories I've heard, that happens to everyone their first several dozen colonies.
    Oh no - thankfully I'm entirely free of the 'look how skilled I am' masochism. I generally never play on high difficulty. I picked the lone, naked survivor, but on normal difficulty.

Thankfully, we're two now! And we have a couple of volunteers waiting to join us in our prison. Sadly, Camus and Locke became food, and only Descartes is still with us. Bloody dogs =)

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Dogs save you a lot of work in the long term, but they're a major time investment. You need a total of ten successful trains (3 for Obedience, 7 for Haul) to get to the point where they can haul, which is what makes them really useful. If you only have one part-time animal trainer, then training three dogs will take a REALLY long time, especially if your skill isn't all that high.

You also have to feed them. This is easy in the mid to late game if you have a constant supply of enemy corpses dog food and a freezer to store it in, but can be a big hassle early on.

One trained dog is doable for a one-woman colony, three is probably over-ambitious.
    Three was definitely too ambitious. I hadn't stopped for a moment to consider how much food they'd require. Bloody dogs.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

When you're just starting off your colony, you really need to be making sure you're only growing it by one mouth at a time. As someone who has played on a Rich Explorer sea ice, you can realistically keep one animal fed and trained with one colonist.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh no - thankfully I'm entirely free of the 'look how skilled I am' masochism. I generally never play on high difficulty. I picked the lone, naked survivor, but on normal difficulty.
    Naked Survivor is kinda, "I want my early-game to be thrice as difficult"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sian View Post
    Naked Survivor is kinda, "I want my early-game to be thrice as difficult"
    Hasn't been too bad, tho. I have a few colonists now, I'm growing crops, I have ambrosia to trade, my production area is taking shape. I still need someone to start actually doing research tho - not one item has begun research yet, and we're nearing winter.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Research is fine too hold off on until about 3 colonists. At that point you have enough labor that you start generating enough Wealth from food/manufactured items/etc to get raids that pack a punch. You want to have Gun Turrets before that. Some people will just wall off their entire base so that things get funneled into a designated kill area lined with traps and turrets. I've personally gotten my killbox to the point where I can ignore raids entirely that aren't sappers or drop pod raids before.

I personally prefer to make a bench after my first colonist is set up, and then just turn it to prio 4. That way if there's literally nothing else going on they'll start researching. A second colonist is usually where I like to start dedicating some account of time to research. Ideally with 2 colonists you have one Builder and one Cook/Craft person. That way your builder can start setting up a real base structure while the other person literally does everything else.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Research is fine too hold off on until about 3 colonists. At that point you have enough labor that you start generating enough Wealth from food/manufactured items/etc to get raids that pack a punch. You want to have Gun Turrets before that. Some people will just wall off their entire base so that things get funneled into a designated kill area lined with traps and turrets. I've personally gotten my killbox to the point where I can ignore raids entirely that aren't sappers or drop pod raids before.

I personally prefer to make a bench after my first colonist is set up, and then just turn it to prio 4. That way if there's literally nothing else going on they'll start researching. A second colonist is usually where I like to start dedicating some account of time to research. Ideally with 2 colonists you have one Builder and one Cook/Craft person. That way your builder can start setting up a real base structure while the other person literally does everything else.
    My third colonist just arrived. She fell out of the sky, and she's basically useless - she can't fight, can't give care, can't haul, or do manual labor, on top of which she has weak skills in the few things she can do. She does however have Intellectual at 11, and a single flame marker. So she'll never do anything else. Right now tho, I really need to get some metal for the research table. Having started with only one colonist, skills are as they are. I have no one with any real skill at mining, I cannot build a smelter (also, I don't have electricity yet), and I've already used what metal I started with.

Oh well, that will work itself out, it just takes a bit longer. But then I'll have a dedicated researcher. That's nice.

Oh, and researcher lady? She also has a flame - and skill 1 - in cooking. So whenever I'm not paying attention, she makes every effort to poison everyone else. I should rename her Mary.

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

Oh, and researcher lady? She also has a flame - and skill 1 - in cooking. So whenever I'm not paying attention, she makes every effort to poison everyone else. I should rename her Mary.
    Ah yes, the climb from Cooking 1 up to Cooking 6. Always fun.

Cooking is probably the slowest skill in the game to train up, which means not only is your Cooking for Dummies colonist probably going to poison your entire colony, they're going to keep on doing it for a really long time.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Ah yes, the climb from Cooking 1 up to Cooking 6. Always fun.

Cooking is probably the slowest skill in the game to train up, which means not only is your Cooking for Dummies colonist probably going to poison your entire colony, they're going to keep on doing it for a really long time.
    Is there a safe way to train it? Can I have her make kibble forever until she can touch food without killing anyone?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Slaughtering is relatively safe, at worst you wast some % of the available meat

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

Is there a safe way to train it? Can I have her make kibble forever until she can touch food without killing anyone?
    Yup, and butchering is safe too. But you have to pump an awful lot of food through the butcher table to get Cooking up to a decent level.

Other option is just to crank out simple meals and feed them to the animals. This isn't as silly as it sounds since converting raw food to a simple meal is much more efficient nutrition-wise, and this way the animals work as food poison detectors (in the sense of 'I'm really glad I didn't have one of my colonists eat that')

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Oh, the joys of bloody well having to rely on whatever strays walk in or drop from the sky. I have another useless colonist (we're five now!), Bryce. He's less of a total waste of space than the lady, Dolly. He, however, is a pyromaniac. I hadn't even noticed. Suddenly, my base is on fire, and I'm like 'what in all the hells is going on?!?' And lo and behold, there is Bryce, cackling maniacally, running around and setting my workshop on fire.

I've never had a firestarter on my team before. It took me just a moment to realise the only way to stop him is to arrest him (or, I suppose, kill him). By then, he'd run off into the wilds - just outside my home area. Turns out, you cannot extinguish fire outside the home area, not even by direct order. So I had to expand the home area to not light the entire map on fire.

And now it seems I need to re-recruit Bryce, and I simply cannot convince myself he's worth the effort. He has skills, tho. He's by far my best researcher, for instance.

Maybe I'll just clobber him senseless next time. Dammit! =)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah. Pyro, Chemical anything, and most traits that negatively impact mood aren't worth your time. I usually extend this to include Lazy, Pacifist, and anything that impacts your social interactions (yes even Psychopath).

Every single colonist jumps your Wealth up. With more Wealth you have bigger raids. If a colonist doesn't pull their weight, they shouldn't be in the colony.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Is psychopath really that bad? They aren't prone to mood breaks like the others would (immunity to death/dying malus) and they seem to get along fine with others.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

My personal issue is that they specifically don't have anything show up in the social tab until it's too late for you to attempt to mitigate it. If a psychopath doesn't like someone, you don't find out until they're constantly social fighting. I've had more than one second colonist that was a psycho just randomly be at -100 social with my first colonist for seemingly no reason.

Basically, I want to control the environment, and psychopath hides some of the variables.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Nah. Pyro, Chemical anything, and most traits that negatively impact mood aren't worth your time. I usually extend this to include Lazy, Pacifist, and anything that impacts your social interactions (yes even Psychopath).

Every single colonist jumps your Wealth up. With more Wealth you have bigger raids. If a colonist doesn't pull their weight, they shouldn't be in the colony.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. But I'm a big softie, and he really is way better at research than anyone else, so I've set him free and let him rejoin the colony.

Next time, I'll use my combat shotgun to subdue him, however.

In other news I made it through winter. With obvious Rimworld attitude, my corn crops got blight just before harvest time, and I had to scramble to hunt and pick berries to survive, but now it's spring, and ... I have electricity! Wee!

I think this is only the second time I've made it past the first winter, so I'm way happy with that. My huskies were eaten by wargs, tho. I hadn't seen that coming: When it get's cold, and prey is sparse, wargs will apparently wander right into my camp and eat my pets. Bloody god damn things. To remedy this, I've decided to tame wargs in the future. That'll teach 'em.

I don't have anyone capable of taming a warg, mind. But I'll find a way.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Honestly I'm a big fan of nutrition paste. yes it's terrible for mood, but if you keep your base decently decorated, it's a workable alternative.

I had one guy train up his cooking with simple meals/pemmican we sold to travelers to fuel our warchest while the rest ate rice/corn based nutrient paste.

Also: if you can try to settle in the equator where you can harvest year round. makes things slightly easier.

Another thing I found helps is making murder halls.

I try to wall my base at least 2 wide with steel and put some doors so friendlies can enter safely. for everyone else (raiders, wild animals and crazy ones) i keep a few long parallel halls leading to the center of my base with deadfall traps littered throughout. ai generally tries to bull rush their way through and gets maimed before they can even reach my ready firing squad.

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

I think this is only the second time I've made it past the first winter, so I'm way happy with that. My huskies were eaten by wargs, tho. I hadn't seen that coming: When it get's cold, and prey is sparse, wargs will apparently wander right into my camp and eat my pets. Bloody god damn things.
    Yeah, it's a good idea to click on the 'Wildlife' tab from time to time. Once the numbers of animals there start dropping, you need to keep an eye out, because once the animals get hungry enough they'll look for alternate food sources. For herbivores this'll mean they'll walk right into your newly harvested crops, or your kitchen if they can get away with it. For carnivores, 'alternate food sources' can mean either 'your pets' or 'you'.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Yeah, it's a good idea to click on the 'Wildlife' tab from time to time. Once the numbers of animals there start dropping, you need to keep an eye out, because once the animals get hungry enough they'll look for alternate food sources. For herbivores this'll mean they'll walk right into your newly harvested crops, or your kitchen if they can get away with it. For carnivores, 'alternate food sources' can mean either 'your pets' or 'you'.
    I had a Thrombo spawn, and walk right over and eat my corn field. I had never seen one before and I was all 'Hey! Hey man, what the hell?!?' It was entirely unimpressed, and I didn't dare to even consider attacking, having the starting revolver, bolt-action rifle and knife. I cannot know for sure, but I very strongly suspect it wouldn't have ended well for me.

Stupid Thrombos.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eh, the designer of Rimworld kind of designed it in an attempt to make it a zero-sum game(the storytellers)
    Even Randy keeps track of your progress and sends invasions scaled to your size(he just does it at random, obviously)
    I'm sure you'll pick up the basics :p, soon you'll be harvesting organs like the rest of us >:)
    "You... little... *****. It's what my old man called me, it's like it was my name, and I proved him right, by killing all the wrong people. [And], I love ya Henry, and I'll never call you anything but your name, but you gotta decide; are you gonna lay there, swallow that blood in your mouth, or are you gonna stand up, spit it out, and go spill theirs?" - Unknown

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

My personal issue is that they specifically don't have anything show up in the social tab until it's too late for you to attempt to mitigate it. If a psychopath doesn't like someone, you don't find out until they're constantly social fighting. I've had more than one second colonist that was a psycho just randomly be at -100 social with my first colonist for seemingly no reason.

Basically, I want to control the environment, and psychopath hides some of the variables.
    Aaah. I wasn't aware psycho hides the social stats. I always thought they're just very hard to both please or upset. Must have lucked out on my few psychopaths then, because they generally got on well with the rest of my colony.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

They will show at either Rival or I believe Friend. Anything in between doesn't show up. Once you've gotten a rival it's hard to break that up.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

And ... just while everything was going well, the world ended in an electrical fire.

See, this is why you shouldn't have layabouts in your colony. With two people being basically dead weight, the remaining three had to do all the work. Oh, it's all very good to have a research genius about, but when he won't do anything besides research, hunt deer and set fires, he's actually more dead weight than benefit.

So then a major heatwave hit. Because there weren't enough people pitching in, the coolers were all running low. Heatstrokes setting in. Then of course, the fire. With only three people to fight the flames ... well, one of the two useless ones collapsed, and I sent the other useless on to the rescue. Then one of the firefighters collapsed.

Well, from there it went downhill. Bloody game.

So, game 8. Never look back. We stand upon the shoulders of those who came before (or .. you know, walk upon their charred remains). Onwards, to victory!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Removing roofs helps with interior fire fighting.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Removing roofs helps with interior fire fighting.
    Oh - good tip. I ... doubt it would have changed much, as it stands, but good to know. It burned on both sides of a wall, and as soon as I was down to just one guy fighting the flames, it was basically over.

Oh, I could have survived and rebuilt. But .. that's someone else, not me. I'm more like .. yells obscenities, flips table, starts over =)

28. - Top - End - #28

Planetar

Yeah, losing your colony in a firestorm is the game's way of telling you "don't build your base out of wood". Stone walls are the way to go.

Wooden floors and carpet are usually a bad idea for the same reason (in the case of carpets, you even have to research the damn things).

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Yeah, losing your colony in a firestorm is the game's way of telling you "don't build your base out of wood". Stone walls are the way to go.

Wooden floors and carpet are usually a bad idea for the same reason (in the case of carpets, you even have to research the damn things).
    I had that bit figured out just fine. It just takes way more time to build in stone. So I've always had the plan to - eventually - replace my wooden death trap with nice, safe, dependable stone. Just never gotten around to it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

You know. I'm actually reminded now that Rimworld is similar enough to Dorf Fort that we probably can get a succession game going in some manner.

I'll need to investigate the actual mechanism on getting this done however. Are we allowed to play saves imported from other games?

EDIT: It looks like we can. Saves are in AppData folder.
    Last edited by Grif; 2019-11-21 at 10:11 AM.