New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: The Unending Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I agree fully, it will turn out mr stink was the actual bad guy all along, using snout as an easy patsy to do all the dangerous leg work.
    And if I am right, it will also, yet again, subvert any and all challenges of writing a "mute" comic.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    $20 says that this is not actually dangerous, and the orc didn't actually attack him. Mookie is going to "subvert" expectations by having this, instead, be some sort of magic induced dream sequence that tells Snout what he wants to know.
    If that will happen (very likely) it will hit both my prediction from the start of the comic about using magic communication to avoid the deaf issue, and the info dump.
    Please make my predictions be wrong.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

I just realized a plot hole with the page finder spell. We've seen multiple times that it can move under it's own power and has enough strength to haul around an adult person. Why couldn't it have just, like, attacked the orc? And even if it couldn't do that, what was stopping it from flying right into Snout's face to make sure he saw it?

Also, another prediction: It's possible that the orc is a villain, and he is using a dream sequence plot dump as a distraction to steal the pages. You know, that way, he can not only neglect to kill the hero but can also arm the hero with the knowledge necessary to defeat him.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

My bet is on two rival factions who try to get the same information.
    Either old feud or a misunderstanding about how to use the information, but both sides are not *evil*.

That will come later with a third side because we need a big bad guy for the finale.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    My bet is on two rival factions who try to get the same information.
    Either old feud or a misunderstanding about how to use the information, but both sides are not *evil*.

That will come later with a third side because we need a big bad guy for the finale.
    Or, Mookie will just get bored halfway through of the moral ambiguity of two non-evil sides and just make whichever one he likes least into unrepentant villains.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Colossus in the Playground

AAAAAND hes naked again. Good, I almost forgot what snouts dong looked like.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

Mookie is helping to demonstrate why, exactly, people's junk is censored so frequently:

Because outside of very specific contexts, none of us actually want to see that.
    Last edited by HorizonWalker; 2019-12-12 at 06:43 AM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

At first, I figured the full frontal Snout was to preempt any future criticism from showing full frontal ladies. "I'm not disrespecting women! I drew a naked man, too!" But now, I'm not do sure anymore. We've seen Snout's ding-dong about half a dozen times, yet still no boobies. Maybe Mookie just likes drawing ding-a-lings?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

At first, I figured the full frontal Snout was to preempt any future criticism from showing full frontal ladies. "I'm not disrespecting women! I drew a naked man, too!" But now, I'm not do sure anymore. We've seen Snout's ding-dong about half a dozen times, yet still no boobies. Maybe Mookie just likes drawing ding-a-lings?
    Maybe that's the real reason his name is "Snout"

Anyway, update.

Oh no, what do I do now?!
    Well, how about nothing since you never had real motivation to get involved in this?

Just continue with your life, I'm sure the next plot point will crash in your cave soon enough.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

I am actually wondering why would those pages be of any significance at all, since they did not contain any serious information that could not be easily remembered by anyone who seen them once. And that revelation? At best a mention of an important place, which you would need to find on your own anyway. It worked out just as an MMORPG fetch quest - got some pointless trivia and upon completion the quest items are gone.

Does anyone wonder, to whom Snout write actually? If to himself, then he would be a perfect Lovecraftian narrator, who would describe in detail being eaten by extradimensional beings.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

11. - Top - End - #341

Im still working under the assumption that orcmancer is actually the good guy in this story. He could have killed snout but didnt. He took the pages and seems to have erased the ink spell then vanished without a trace which could easily be him saying "Look, this is dangerous stuff you are getting involved with, better to end it now before you actually do get killed."

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Im still working under the assumption that orcmancer is actually the good guy in this story. He could have killed snout but didnt. He took the pages and seems to have erased the ink spell then vanished without a trace which could easily be him saying "Look, this is dangerous stuff you are getting involved with, better to end it now before you actually do get killed."
    This might actually be true considering his behaviour. I wonder if he was the one that messed up ink witch and she is the bad guy of the story. This could also work and would explain, why the ink spell paniced.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

I certainly am curious about this development as well.
    And its hard to say if Orcmancer is -a- good guy working on cross purpose with Snout, the good guy, or just a bad guy who didnt see any purpose in killing a native without purpose.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

14. - Top - End - #344
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I like the orc, because he is the first who used non-writing skills to communicate with Snout. So that is a plus from the start.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Well of course it's a book, why wouldn't it be?
    What other possible meaning could it have been?

Preparing for either the book is missing, and a quest to find it (hopefully, not page by page)
    Or to the long predicted info-dump.

Not sure which option will be worse.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm kinda disappointed that the other books on that list aren't written by authors with painfully punny names. I was looking forward to groaning about it.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm more curious about the list itself.
    Is there a dedicated list for books by each possible topic?
    How is it sorted? It doesn't seem to be by name, author or topic.

I know it's in the level of nitpicking, but it's just that it needlessly replaces something that could be handled by a simple (written) conversation with the librarian with something that makes no sense.
    And also, I'm a software developer, so the order of a sorted list must make sense to me

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

I know it's in the level of nitpicking, but it's just that it needlessly replaces something that could be handled by a simple (written) conversation with the librarian with something that makes no sense.
    And also, I'm a software developer, so the order of a sorted list must make sense to me
    Don't worry. That bothered me, too. If this was just some personal list, I wouldn't care, but this is literally a library catalog. Even if Mookie doesn't care enough about his own work to spend ten minutes researching how to Dewey Decimal these books, he could have at least put them in alphabetical order.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Don't worry. That bothered me, too. If this was just some personal list, I wouldn't care, but this is literally a library catalog. Even if Mookie doesn't care enough about his own work to spend ten minutes researching how to Dewey Decimal these books, he could have at least put them in alphabetical order.
    Obviously, "The naked truth of Being" is going to be plot critical since Snout always dreams of being naked.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Firbolg in the Playground

It could be a list of books of a certain topic, sorted by year. Libraries sometimes have this sort of collection. Prento Fallin was one of Dominic's pupils in the comic, so it could be the work of a certain school of thought. It still would be odd, though, since there is no year given, and bibliographies were written in alphabetical order as soon as 1525.

In theory, it could be a list of DD's works (bolded) followed by commentaries (in plain text). Or it could be the work of someone who took an interest in DD's work and created a private list of related books that later was found to be of common interest and printed without being revised. It's actually the only thing that makes sense, because, otherwise, it would be really weird to have only one work bolded.

The final explanation would be one I steal from Tolkien, that these characters never spoke English or used the Latin alphabet, and that their names are in an order that makes sense in their actual language.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It could be a list of books of a certain topic, sorted by year. Libraries sometimes have this sort of collection. Prento Fallin was one of Dominic's pupils in the comic, so it could be the work of a certain school of thought. It still would be odd, though, since there is no year given, and bibliographies were written in alphabetical order as soon as 1525.

In theory, it could be a list of DD's works (bolded) followed by commentaries (in plain text). Or it could be the work of someone who took an interest in DD's work and created a private list of related books that later was found to be of common interest and printed without being revised. It's actually the only thing that makes sense, because, otherwise, it would be really weird to have only one work bolded.

The final explanation would be one I steal from Tolkien, that these characters never spoke English or used the Latin alphabet, and that their names are in an order that makes sense in their actual language.
    I mean, I figured the bolding was just for emphasis on the part of the comic and not an in-universe aspect of the list. Of course, I'm fully prepared to admit that could just be me giving Mookie too much credit.

22. - Top - End - #352

I'll be honest, I feel really silly for all the stuff I wrote earlier. It was just the table of contents of a poetry anthology, zoomed in as not to show the pages. Of course it was in an odd order.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #353

And it looks like he is doing the leg work to track down the information he is after. Rather than magically appearing plot devices handing him what he is after. He has an idea, and is doing proper research to confirm whatever it is he is thinking. Possibly trying to have the dream again using lucid dreaming techniques to learn more? Maybe he thinks someone is communicating with him in dreams and he thinks it will help?

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

No, he's reading that book next because it's the only other reference to Dominic deegan in that poetry book. It's barely an idea of his own, he certainly didn't actively seek out a book about lucid dreaming.

25. - Top - End - #355

Funny, he got a clue in his mind that was a line from a poem he likely read before as he knew where to find it. That poem gave him the idea for lucid dreaming, he went to find said book, and now he has to decide what to do as he doesnt want to leave the wild edge but has to in order to get the book he is after. Nobody grabbed him by the hand and wrote, "You, hey you! Read this book to unlock the next step of the quest." What he is doing now is working under his own steam towards a goal that he has chosen after losing every part of the path he was previously on due to orc magic shenanigans.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh god no. He'd better not pick the Maltak library. It'll take a thousand pages just to get there!

But seriously, this might be the first page that is actually good. First, Snout is advancing the story of his own initiative rather than waiting to stumble upon the plot by happenstance. Second, the next plot point is, for once, not within walking distance of his home. Third, by leaving home, Snout may actually face real danger now (and if we're lucky, his deafness will now actually be a real disability rather than a lazy gimmick). And finally, the punchline at the end is actually funny. It's, admittedly, not particularly clever, and I've probably seen it about half a dozen times already, but it still got a smirk out of me.

Overall, I liked this page. Now, to wait for Mookie to f*** it all up on Monday.

27. - Top - End - #357

Oh god no. He'd better not pick the Maltak library. It'll take a thousand pages just to get there!

But seriously, this might be the first page that is actually good. First, Snout is advancing the story of his own initiative rather than waiting to stumble upon the plot by happenstance. Second, the next plot point is, for once, not within walking distance of his home. Third, by leaving home, Snout may actually face real danger now (and if we're lucky, his deafness will now actually be a real disability rather than a lazy gimmick). And finally, the punchline at the end is actually funny. It's, admittedly, not particularly clever, and I've probably seen it about half a dozen times already, but it still got a smirk out of me.

Overall, I liked this page. Now, to wait for Mookie to f*** it all up on Monday.
    He will find a random creature whose random ability is to teleport people to maltak. Preferably through some crazy way like willingly walking into its cavernous fang filled mouth. Because wild edge magic.

28. - Top - End - #358

He will find a random creature whose random ability is to teleport people to maltak. Preferably through some crazy way like willingly walking into its cavernous fang filled mouth. Because wild edge magic.
    Or the orc will do that.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Last update and current update

I liked the last one. That actually worked without words. Except those signs. Current one works too. Technically Mookie uses words, but the important part, the emotional reaction, is conveyed by the art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

I agree with the art par,t it still bothers me that his motivations are so weak.

When he puts it in a list it's even worse since it only emphasizes the problem: It's basically curiosity about an author he remembers by name from books he liked, versus everything else that makes sense to be afraid of.
    No "avenging the family/sensei", no deep interest in the subject before the witch (which could have established him as at least a wannabe scholar if it was used), even not a Disney princess style "I want more from life".
    Just... Curious about something that I just learned about, let's leave everything.

Oh well.

I wonder if his sub-conscience chaos magic works outside the wild zone. (Translation: If weird coincidences will keep happening without anyone caring about it)