New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,468 of 1468
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Class and Level Geekery XVII - When You Wish Upon a Stat
    I like this one.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XVI - These Characters May Now Drive the Plot

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I like this one.
    Yeah, this is my vote too.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

I support When You Wish Upon a Stat, and then off course XVIII is Everyone’s an Expert.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

I support When You Wish Upon a Stat, and then off course XVIII is Everyone’s an Expert.
    Agreed with the former, don't get the latter.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks to Schroeswald's research, we now have a listing for Right-Eye, who fits right in the "family" section.
    I have him at rogue 2+ based on disintegrate not dissolving him, to get his saving throw he’d have to succeed in at least a 23
    It is more likely that he rolled a 20 on his save, than that Redcloak rolled 14 on 14d6 (and it's actually 26d6...) I mean, Right-Eye was probably of comparable level to Redcloak's at that point, but disintegrate isn't evidence thereof.
    However, he one-shotted a treant, and I don't see him doing anywhere near enough damage without a critical hit or sneak attack. Since treants are normally immune to those, it appears Right-Eye has a feat or item for it. The only suitable item I found are Deathstrike Bracers, a common pick for rogues; it turns out (a) these are well within his budget if he's near Redcloak's level at that point; and (b) we know Redcloak has the feat to Craft them, if need be.
    Do we have other potential explanations for the treant scene?

(edit) Changed Minrah to Fighter; added Knockdown and Improved Unarmed Strike feats. Added plate armor to Hilgya; death domain, spellcraft to Malack; burning hands and vamp touch to Zyk- er- Xykon; EWP to O-Chul; gear and key to Scruffy.

Doesn’t V’s source for spellcraft say that V has more ranks in it than the rest of the party?
    No, because we know the DC for recognizing a Darkness spell. The others must have failed their checks.

And yes, let's hear support for that new thread title!
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2020-01-10 at 03:39 PM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Wish Upon a Stat is my vote
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #1447

Likewise for me.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Likewise for me.
    I suspect that: Class and Level Geekery XVII - When You Wish Upon a Stat
    is going to win by acclimation. It's just too perfect to not use.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

This gets my vote too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "Look, Monk training involves toughening the body with repeated blows. That includes toughening the head with repeated blows to the head. A little brain damage is unavoidable, and I'd thank you not to mock my medical condition."

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Since we're going to be on the last book and happenstance leads us to the end of this thread, Class and Level Geekery XVII - The Final Countdown seems more appropriate.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Agreed with the former, don't get the latter.
    Expert is an NPC class, with good access to assorted skills (and, of course, like all NPC classes wildly underpowered compared to pretty much any PC build). Proposing builds that involve expert tends to be the ultimate in Rube Goldberg explanations for observed feats (I.e. the frost giant shaman is actually an Expert and scribed scrolls into his skin as tattoos and that’s how he casts all his spells), although I think we’ve seen some semi- or maybe even totally serious proposals involving it. Hence we could theoretically probably build most of the characters as Experts, even though they’re probably not. Similarly, of course, everyone in this thread, just lowercase e...

Bonus points for double meaning, minus for passing up 9th-level spell joke, bonus for alliteration.

I’m biased of course.

Also, it’s acclamation (as in acclaim) not acclimation (as in acclimate).

—Ephemera the Expert (and grammar nazi a$$)

Also, Expert gets my vote.
    Last edited by Ephemera; 2020-01-09 at 09:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Ettin in the Playground

Strictly speaking all of the gods could just be experts with a ton of divine ranks.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I’m a fan of Everyone‘s An Expert, myself.

Peelee’s Lotsey

14. - Top - End - #1454

WolfInSheepsClothing

the Miracle of splat

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apparently the right answer is “class and level geekery XVII: no one really cares what this thread is called any more”

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Orc in the Playground

My vote, if I have one, is for "Everyone's an Expert". I like the double entendre.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

17. - Top - End - #1457

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    My vote, if I have one, is for "Everyone's an Expert". I like the double entendre.
    Im hardly aware of the single entendre.

18. - Top - End - #1458

One level is referring to the characters. The other is referring to the posters.

19. - Top - End - #1459

WolfInSheepsClothing

I like Everyone's an Expert.

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    One level is referring to the characters. The other is referring to the posters.
    I have to say that it’s clearly a matter of taste what you prefer but I’m mystified by the “I don’t get the reference” responses. I guess for non-native speakers, it may not be clear that it’s also a legit figure of speech, something you say sarcastically when dismissing how everyone has something to say as though they were experts (but aren’t necessarily).

21. - Top - End - #1461

Lizardfolk

Just spotted a typo in Oonas entry, saying 'mask of cold resistancef'
    Also, sure this was discussed at the time, but did anyone have any ideas about the pictographic language in Girards temple? It appears to be a language V and Qarr can read, but either no one else can or no one would grasp the context. According to Vs entry, SSDT establishes it isn't Draconic: are there other languages that could fit?

22. - Top - End - #1462

That's not a language. It's a family tree.

23. - Top - End - #1463

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Just spotted a typo in Oonas entry, saying 'mask of cold resistancef'
    Also, sure this was discussed at the time, but did anyone have any ideas about the pictographic language in Girards temple? It appears to be a language V and Qarr can read, but either no one else can or no one would grasp the context. According to Vs entry, SSDT establishes it isn't Draconic: are there other languages that could fit?
    V and Qarr knew about Familicde. The family tree explained that Familicide is why everyone was dead. Thus, anyone not familiar with Familicide wouldn't understand why V and Qarr reacted as they did

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ephemera View Post
    Also, Expert gets my vote.
    Everyone's an Expert gets my (actual) vote as well; as much as I like "Can FINALLY Speak Unto the Masses", I can't really fault anyone for not choosing Truenamer....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Everyone's an Expert gets my (actual) vote as well; as much as I like "Can FINALLY Speak Unto the Masses", I can't really fault anyone for not choosing Truenamer....
    I was tempted by this one (I’d say it’s my second choice if this is a ranked-choice vote), but the expert one made me laugh just a little bit harder.

Peelee’s Lotsey

26. - Top - End - #1466

PaladinGuy

Whichever title is chosen, I vote that the new thread start with the new book, even if it means closing the thread early - or slightly late.

27. - Top - End - #1467

PaladinGuy

So now the forums are back, how about starting a new thread? And how about we call it 'Opening the last book'?

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Whichever title is chosen, I vote that the new thread start with the new book, even if it means closing the thread early - or slightly late.
    New thread.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!