New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Stars Are Right [Vestiges]

The multiverse is home to many strange and alien creatures, but it is perhaps the most terrible and inhuman of these that are known to scholars of the occult and forbidden as the Outer Gods, the Great Olds Ones, the most alien and horrible aspects of reality. Though some men, half-mad fools of cultists, worship them as gods, this is not the truth. They are best described as Cosmic Horrors, the ultimate evils born of the multiverse itself. They care little for men, though some, such as the Crawling Chaos, Nyarlathotep, take an interest in the mortal races. However, some cultists and scholars of occult have devised rituals and rites for contacting these Great Old Ones, and tapping their power. Although they are not like vestiges, trapped between worlds, they exist partially within the same dimension vestiges do, allowing binders and users of pact magic to tap their strength. Forbidden passages in ancient tomes such as the Necronomicon, the Book of Eibon, and Unaussprechlichen Kulten discuss the methods for binding the power of the Great Old Ones, and dire warnings of the consequences for taking them lightly. For, although the Old Ones are willing to allow mortals some of their power, it is never without dire consequences.

Other threads in this series include:
    In His House At R'lyeh
    Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-01-10 at 02:41 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Stars Are Right [Vestiges]

Atlach-Nacha, The Weaver in the Abyss
    Atlach-Nacha is a monstrous Great Old One of arachnid form who weaves a great, unfathomable web between the waking world and the far-cast lands of dreaming.

Vestige Level: 2nd
    Binding DC: 18

Legend
    Atlach-Nacha is an ancient monster, said to be as old as the universe. He has the appearance of a great, monstrous spider, and all terrestrial arachnids are thought to be his children. He spins a web in the black void that lies between the mortal world and the Dreamlands; the completion of this web would allow all the horrors that lie within the nightmare worlds to invade the mortal realm. He lacks the great power of his fellow Old Ones, but is still revered by mortal cults, who see him as the key to the coming of the apocalypse, who will allow the Great Old Ones trapped in the Dreamlands to return. Those Binders who know of Atlach-Nacha often choose to draw on his power, for the arachnid gifts he bestow are of much use, and those of strong will can resist his alien influence.

Manifestation
    Atlach-Nacha manifests within his seal as a humanoid figure formed from millions of tiny spiders, which speaks with the clicking of a thousand minuscule arachnid legs and mandibles.

Sign
    Small spiders occasionally crawl out from the mouth of those bound to Atlach-Nacha.

Influence
    Just as spiders drain the vital fluids of their prey, those bound to Atlach-Nacha feel a strange desire to drink the still-warm blood of creatures they slay.

Granted Abilities
    Atlach-Nacha grants those bound to him the powers of a spider.

Children of the Spider God (Su)
    As a full-round action, you may summon either a Medium Monstrous Spider or a Spider Swarm, as with a summon monster spell. The summoned spider serves you for a number of rounds equal to your binder level. Once you have used this ability, you must wait until 5 rounds after the end of its duration to use it again.

Spider Climb (Su)
    As a standard action, you may grant yourself the power to climb sheer surfaces, as the spider climb spell. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to your binder level. Once you have used this ability, you must wait until 5 rounds after the end of its duration to use it again.

Spin Web (Ex)
    As a standard action, you can create and throw a net-like web at your enemies. This is much like an attack with a net, but has a range of 50 ft. The DC to escape or burst from your webs is equal to 10 + ½ your binder level + your Constitution modifier.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-01-09 at 12:27 PM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Cthugha, the Second Sun
    Cthugha is a powerful Great Old One, born from the essence of elemental fire.

Vestige Level: 3rd
    Binding DC: 21

Legend
    Cthugha is a primordial being of fire, a Great Old One who burns in the deepest reaches of space, mistaken by mortal races as just another star. However, despite his solar form, Cthugha is possessed of an ancient and malevolent intelligence. His mortal worshipers, practitioners of blasphemous astrologies, worship him as the Second Sun, believing that someday he will devour the sun of our world, and set the world aflame, ushering in a new era of pyroclastic destruction. Though he is distant and alien, it is possible to draw on his power, and those binders willing to risk their sanity for the power of the sun often form pacts with the Second Sun.

Special Requirement
    Cthugha will not form pacts with creatures that have the Aquatic, Cold, or Water subtypes.

Manifestation
    Cthugha manifests within his seal as an eye of fire, wreathed by smoke.

Sign
    Those bound to Cthugha give off a faint smell of ashes and charred flesh.

Influence
    Cthugha awakens pyromaniacal tendencies in those bound to him, causing them to set fires and commit other acts of arson whenever possible.

Granted Abilities
    Cthugha grants those bound to him the power to control flame.

Blazing Corona (Su)
    You are wreathed in an aura of flames that deals 1d8 fire damage to any creature that hits you with a melee attack, unless it uses a reach weapon. You may suppress or resume this ability as a swift action.

Eye of the Sun (Su)
    As a standard action, you may blast a single creature within 30 ft. with a blast of fire, requiring a ranged touch attack to hit. The blast deals 3d6 damage, plus an additional 1d6 damage for every three binder levels you have beyond fifth. In addition, you may choose to cause the blast of fire to explode in a flash of light. If you do, the creature that is struck by it must make a Fortitude save or be blinded for 1 round. Once you have used this blinding ability, you must wait 5 rounds before you can use it again, although you can still use normal fire blasts.

Sun’s Blood (Ex)
    While bound to Cthugha, you gain the fire subtype, giving you immunity to fire damage, but vulnerability to cold damage.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-07-22 at 02:36 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Ghatanothoa, the Usurper
    Ghatanothoa is a hideous Great Old One, whose alien form is so horrendous that it petrifies those who witness it.

Vestige Level: 5th
    Binding DC: 26

Legend
    Ghatanothoa is one of the most feared and dreaded Great Old Ones, for his monstrous ability to turn those who look upon him to living stone. He was brought to the planet by a race of servitors, but they later sealed him within a subterranean temple, fearing his power. Many have attempted to defeat the imprisoned Ghatanothoa, but all have failed before his dreadful power. Some whisper that he is the son of Great Cthulhu, but to speak among of familial relationships among te Great Old Ones is a foolish and misguided attempt at anthromorphisizing alien and inhuman beings. Ghatanothoa is worshiped by few mortals, but is willing to offer his power to those who would serve him, and some binders versed in forbidden lore covet his power of petrification.

Special Requirement
    Ghatanothoa’s seal must be drawn in total darkness, for anyone who witnesses his manifestation will be permanently petrified, capable of being restored only by wish or miracle. The binder, as well as anyone else attending the binding, must also cover their eyes, either by closing them or with a blind fold. If there is anyone observing the binding, Ghatanothoa will not manifest within the seal. The Ignore Special Requirement feat does not bypass this requirement. Any Binder foolish enough to try to devise a way to bypass it is not going to have a very long lifespan.

Manifestation
    Ghatanothoa’s manifestation is so horrible that anyone who witnesses it is petrified, just as those who see the beast himself, making calling it in utter darkness a necessity. However, his manifestation can be heard making awful slithering noises, as if rustling loathsome tentacles, and can smell the vile stench of decaying flesh from him.

Sign
    Those who bind to Ghatanothoa become subtly wrong in appearance. Though no one can notice any change, anyone that looks on them feels slightly afraid or disgusted by subtle and alien differences in their appearance.

Influence
    Those who bind to Ghatanothoa become ambitious and power-hungry, and crave the respect and worship of all who surround them.

Granted Abilities
    Ghatanothoa grants those who bind to him a lesser form of his petrifying power, as well as the ability to unnerve and madden their foes.

Feel the Darkness (Ex)
    You gain blindsight out to 30 ft. while bound to Ghatanothoa.

Frightening Presence (Su)
    Whenever you make an attack or use your gaze of the usurper ability, all creatures within 30 ft. of you must make a Will save or become frightened for 1d6 rounds. Even those that successfully save are shaken for 1 round. Once a creature successfully saves against your frightening presence ability, it cannot be affected by it again for as long as you remain bound to Ghatanothoa.

Gaze of the Usurper (Su)
    As a standard action, you may attempt to petrify a single creature within 30 ft. of you that can see you. It must make a Fortitude save or be petrified for 5 rounds. Each round, it may attempt another save to be restored, and a stone to flesh spell can also end its petrification. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until 5 rounds after the end of its duration.

Unholy Vigor (Ex)
    You gain fast healing 1 while bound to Ghatanothoa. The amount of healing increases by 1 for every 3 binder levels you have above 10th. This fast healing only functions if you are at half of your maximum hp or less, unless you have a binder level of 15th or more, in which case it functions if you are at three quarters of your max hp or less.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-07-23 at 03:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Ithaqua, the Wind Walker
    Ithaqua is a savage and feral Great Old One, a giant who wanders the coldest regions of the world, preying on the unwary.

Legend
    Ithaqua is a Great Old One who dwells within the arctic reaches of the world, unable to survive outside of any but the most extreme cold. To those who live in those frigid reaches, he is a legendary monster, known as the Wind Walker, or the White God, or the Wendigo. Many offer sacrifices, some of blood, to appease his hunger, so that they may be spared his wrath. The primitive shamans of such tribes use eldritch and forbidden rituals to channel the Wind Walker, binding themselves to him, and such rituals have been recorded as part of the collection of pact magic lore, allowing any binder foolish enough to draw upon the Wind Walker’s power.

Special Requirement
    Ithaqua will not bind to any creature with the Fire subtype.

Manifestation
    Ithaqua manifests only as a flurry of frigid snow and hail within his seal, speaking through the wind.

Sign
    Those bound to Ithaqua have their skin and hair turn a pale white, and their eyes become blood-red.

Influence
    Those bound to Ithaqua become accustomed to cold climates, and find warm temperatures almost intolerably unbearable.

Granted Abilities
    Ithaqua grants those bound to him power over cold and wind.

Call the Storm (Su)
    As a standard action, you can surround yourself in icy winds, as the sleet storm spell. It lasts for a number of rounds equal to your binder level. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until 5 rounds after the end of its duration.

Flesh of the White God (Ex)
    While bound to Ithaqua, you gain the cold subtype, giving you immunity to cold damage, but vulnerability to fire damage.

Wendigo’s Grasp (Su)
    While bound to Ithaqua, you gain a touch attack that deals cold damage equal to 1d8 plus half your binder level. In addition, a creature damaged by the touch attack must make a Fortitude save or take a -4 penalty to Dexterity for 5 rounds. The penalty is not cumulative.

Windwalker (Su)
    While bound to Ithaqua, the winds bear you up from the earth. You can float a foot above the ground. Instead of walking, you glide along, unaffected by terrain. While you remain within 1 foot of a flat surface of any solid or liquid, you can take normal actions and make normal attacks, and can move at normal speed. However, if you ascend higher than 1 foot above any surface, your speed diminishes to 10 feet per round. While you remain within 1 foot of a surface, you can make melee and ranged attacks normally, but if you move any higher, you incur the penalties on melee and ranged attack rolls as if you were the subject of the levitate spell. You may suppress or resume this ability as a swift action.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2008-07-22 at 02:40 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Shudde M'ell, the Burrower Beneath
    Shudde M’ell is a Great Old One that dwells deep beneath the earth, progenitor of the monstrous Cthonians.

Legend
    Shudde M’ell resides deep beneath the earth, within an elaborate labyrinth of tunnels he has created over aeons. He is the progenitor of the Cthonians, a race of subterranean creatures made in his own horrific image. Shudde M’ell is often thought to be mindless, though this is not entirely accurate. He and his Cthonian brood possess a hivemind, a dim animal sentience that controls them all. Shudde M’ell cults have discovered certain rituals by which they may become a part of this hivemind. Binders and scholars of pact magic eventually developed these rituals to allow them to bind Shudde M’ell as a vestige, allowing them access to his mastery of earth and stone.

Special Requirement
    Shudde M’ell will not bind to creatures with the Air subtype, or to creatures with a fly speed, whether natural or gained from a spell or item. He also requires his seal to be drawn on bare ground.

Manifestation
    Shudde M’ell manifests in his seal as a fissure in the ground, from which he speaks with a deep, reverberating voice.

Sign
    Those bound to Shudde M’ell secrete a slick, slightly acidic slime from their skin.

Influence
    Those bound to Shudde M’ell become reclusive, attempting to avoid light as much as possible.

Granted Abilities
    Shudde M’ell grants those bound to him power over the earth and acidic spit.

Improved Bull Rush (Ex)
    You gain Improved Bull Rush as a bonus feat. In addition, you gain a +1 enhancement bonus on all Strength checks made as part of a bull rush, which increases by 1 for every 5 binder levels you have.

Spit Acid (Ex)
    Shudde M’ell grants you the ability to spit acid. This is a ranged touch attack, with a range of 30 ft., that deals 1d6 acid damage, plus an additional 1d6 damage plus an additional 1d6 damage for every three binder levels you have beyond fifth.

Tunneling (Su)
    You may pass through earth, as the meld into stone spell. This ability lasts for a number of minutes equal to your binder level. Once you have used this ability, you must wait until 5 minutes after the end of its duration before you can use it again.

Tremorsense (Ex)
    As long as you are standing on bare earth, you gain tremorsense out to a range of 10 ft., plus 5 ft. for every 5 binder levels you have.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Suppose a blind Binder bound Ghatanothoa. Would they need the darkness at all?
    If not, couldn't the act of binding itself be used as a weapon?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Suppose a blind Binder bound Ghatanothoa. Would they need the darkness at all?
    If not, couldn't the act of binding itself be used as a weapon?
    The darkness is part of the requirement for summoning him, partially to avoid stuff like that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like them. It's nice to see some love for the less popular systems. Speaking of which, where can I find more Incarnum stuff?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    The darkness is part of the requirement for summoning him, partially to avoid stuff like that.
    Aah. Well what of characters with Darkvision?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Aah. Well what of characters with Darkvision?
    Ooh, forgot about that. Gimme a minute...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

This look pretty well done, though if I remember correctly, a vestige's influence tends to be more mechanically defined, like Naberius forcing you to make a speech (duration spelled out in the influence), or Focalor making you spend a round after battle for each enemy slain. You may want to do that.

As for Ghatanothoa... what if the binder just closed their eyes?
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

This look pretty well done, though if I remember correctly, a vestige's influence tends to be more mechanically defined, like Naberius forcing you to make a speech (duration spelled out in the influence), or Focalor making you spend a round after battle for each enemy slain. You may want to do that.
    A lot of them are just roleplaying requirements, and I feel that's how they should be.

As for Ghatanothoa... what if the binder just closed their eyes?
    The updated requirement is that it has to be in the dark and with your eyes closed. Ghatanothoa is serious business.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

So if someone does open their eyes while the binder is still negotiating, and they have darkvision, will they turn to stone, or will he vanish?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

So if someone does open their eyes while the binder is still negotiating, and they have darkvision, will they turn to stone, or will he vanish?
    I'd leave that to the DM. Honestly, I doubt it'd really come up that much in play.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

If the binder says "Oh, and if you gaze upon this vestige, you will turn to stone and die", who's going to doubt him and give it a try?

Not me: I'd have my eyes closed like a good little boy.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Suppose he's binding it when they get ambushed by Orcs. Bam, statues.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I would have suggested you did one for Father Dagon or Mother Hydra, but Dagon already exists.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

19. - Top - End - #19

I also like how the Great Weaver is only a second level vestige. He's all kinds of awesome, and he is a mind-bending power from beyond the stars, but he's not playing in the big boy leagues with guys like the Second Sun, Cthulhu, and Ghatanothoa. Though, isn't he supposed to be the one who bridged the space between the real world and the crazy dream place (whose name I don't immediately recall)? Maybe it could be represented with some sort of Astral Caravan power, or something.

By the by - is there any way to make use of the servitor species that are part and parcel of the Great Old Ones? The ability to call, summon, bind, or send servitors out on beer/spell component runs would be spiffy.

Probably too powerful, though.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Krimm_Blackleaf View Post
    I would have suggested you did one for Father Dagon or Mother Hydra, but Dagon already exists.
    Where's that?

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

By the by - is there any way to make use of the servitor species that are part and parcel of the Great Old Ones? The ability to call, summon, bind, or send servitors out on beer/spell component runs would be spiffy.
    Shub-Niggurath, who I posted in an earlier thread, gives you the power to summon up various aberrations and pseudonatural creatures.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    Where's that?
    Fiendish Codex I. He's a demon lord.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, they kinda appropriated Dagon into a demon, and Hydra would inevitably have some overlap with...well...hydras. Maybe a generic "Deep One" vestige.

24. - Top - End - #24

These. Are. So. Cool.

There. I said it. Seriously, they are. I'm going to go find a book with the binder rules in it right now, and read it. Despite the fact they were never interesting before.
    Proud initiate ref for the Arena!
    Spoiler
    Show

Llince 2-1
    Akhond 1-0
    Wolatifex 0-0

Crimson Mageatar!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ex-avatar/ists:
    The Chilli God
    Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMolo View Post
    These. Are. So. Cool.

There. I said it. Seriously, they are. I'm going to go find a book with the binder rules in it right now, and read it. Despite the fact they were never interesting before.
    Everyone loves the mythos!
    Spoiler
    Show

I won a trophy, yay!
    Mod madness, Roland's Choice award (tied with Ava)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

They may have already taken the name, but that doesn't mean you can't use it again :P

I think there already might be two Dagons.
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

dagon/hyrda question:

is this dagon-demon guy similar to the father dagon-mythos-old one deal? if not, then you could always do dagon anyway, and just ignore the name similarity.

or i suppose that some people would think the lovecraft-flavored dagon would be cooler than the demony dagon, and so would adopt yours and give the demon a completely different name.

hydra too.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticaloctopus View Post
    Everyone loves the mythos!
    Except for the whole "going insane after catching a glimpse of some tentacled abomination, which then eats you and everyone you know" part. That isn't quite as much fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    Except for the whole "going insane after catching a glimpse of some tentacled abomination, which then eats you and everyone you know" part. That isn't quite as much fun.
    You kidding? That's the funnest part!
    Spoiler
    Show

Rizban: You could be all, "Today's Destruction is brought to you by the color green.... I HATE GREEN!" then fly off mumbling to yourself "Seven... seven bats... mwa ha ha ha..."

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Everyone knows you can just parse XML with regex.
    Don't mind me. I'm just going to have some post traumatic flashbacks in the corner here and sob uncontrollably.

Millenium Earl by Shmee

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stycotl View Post
    dagon/hyrda question:

is this dagon-demon guy similar to the father dagon-mythos-old one deal? if not, then you could always do dagon anyway, and just ignore the name similarity.

or i suppose that some people would think the lovecraft-flavored dagon would be cooler than the demony dagon, and so would adopt yours and give the demon a completely different name.

hydra too.
    The demon lord Dagon is pretty similar to the Lovecraftian one, right down to the whole driving-anyone-that-sees-him-insane bit. He's one of my favorites from that book.