New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 3.5E: Uncertainty Lich

Yes, this is a PrC based on a webcomic based on an obscure scientific thought experiment.

Uncertainty Lich
    Spoiler
    Show

At some point in the past, you encountered a situation that left you uncertain of your actual fate. Perhaps you died, perhaps you didn't; no one is quite sure one way or the other. Perhaps it was a dark spell that brought you to the brink of death, hovering on the edge between life and afterlife. Perhaps the resurrection spell your mates got you from that "back-alley cleric" was just a bit dodgy. Whatever the case, you exist now in the twilight realm between life and death.

Prerequisites: Craft Magical Item feat, must be level 11
    Special requirements: Have a near-death experience; see fluff

HD: d4

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
    1st | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Of Life and Death, Natural Armor Bonus
    2nd | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Fear Aura, Touch of Uncertainty I
    3rd | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Touch of Uncertainty II
    4th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Uncertain Fate, Uncertain Future
    5th | +3 | +4 | +1 | +4 | Master of Uncertainty[/table]

Class Skills (2+Int): Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Disguise, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Heal, Jump, Knowledge (All), Listen, Perform, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim

Of Life and Death: It is uncertain at this point just what you are. If you become the victim of a spell or attack which an undead creature has immunity to (mind-affecting, poison, paralysis, disease, ability drain, death effects, sneak attacks, etc), are the target of a positive or negative energy spell, or are Turned by a cleric or similar, roll a d20. If the result is 1-10, you are counted as a living being and subject to all such effects, are healed by positive energy and damaged by negative energy. If the result is 11-20, you are treated as an undead for the same purposes.

Natural Armor: An Uncertainty Lich gains a Natural Armor bonus equal to 1/2 his levels in the Uncertanty Lich class.

Fear Aura (60ft) (Su): Though the jury is out on whether you are actually a lich or not, peasants know enough to fear you. Any creature in a 10-foot radius that looks at an Uncertainty Lich must make a Will save if it is within 10 feet of her and has fewer than 5 HD. Failure means the creature is affected as though by a fear spell (caster level equals lich's character level). A creature that successfully saves cannot be affected again by the same lich's aura for 24 hours.

Touch of Uncertainty I (Su): The touch of a Uncertainty Lich harms both the living and the dead. A touch or natural attack from an Uncertainty Lich will deal 1d8+5 negative energy damage to the living and positive energy damage to the dead. A Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 lich's HD + lich's 1/2 lich's Cha modifier) halves this damage.

Touch of Uncertainty II (Su): A strong Uncertainty Lich's very touch induces indecision and paralysis. The victim of a lich's touch must also succeed on a Fort save (DC 10 + 1/2 lich's HD + lich's 1/2 lich's Cha modifier) or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds. A Spot check of 20 or Heal check of 15 is needed to tell that the victim is still living.

Uncertain Fate, Uncertain Future: In addition to the possible immunities granted by Of Life and Death, if an Uncertainty Lich is the target of a physical attack, she has a 50% chance of being counted as having DR15/- for that attack. If she is the target of a fire, cold, electricity or polymorph spell, she has a 50% chance of being counted as having immunity to that type of spell.

Master of Uncertainty: You must now craft a phylactery (as per regular lich) and place it inside a box. If you or anyone else opens the box, you temporarily lose your Uncertainty Lich powers until the box is closed once again. As long as the box is closed, you may be treated as either living or undead when such is advantageous to you (i.e.: living if attempted to be turned, undead if the target of a death effect, etc.), and if slain will reform inside your box within a day. This overides the effect of Of Life and Death.

You are now and forever a creature of non-normal physics, and as such also gain the [Chaotic] subtype.

---
    This is only my third Homebrew, so please feel free to tear it apart if you think it needs it.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2009-02-28 at 01:47 AM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: 3.5E: Uncertainty Lich

There should be a requirement to have a cat....

Debby

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Love it. Really cool idea. Might use in my current campaign. That wizard was going to be a vampire, but...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

You might want to note that Master of Uncertainty overrides Of Life and Death.

What happens when one Uncertainty Lich uses Touch of Uncertainty I on an Uncertainty Lich who's attained Master of Uncertainty?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Eeexcellent...
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

@Jack:

Neither option is more advantageous than the other. So the defending UL would just take damage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

dyslexicfaser, you are awesome. I want to play one of these now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Share My Pain - At the end of a session or period in gaming the uncertainty lich must roll a d6. On a 1 nobody gets any experience points awarded. On a 2-4 the lich's experience are shared out among the party and he\she gets none. On a 5 the lich is the only one who receives experience but just his normal share. On a 6 the lich receives all the experience awarded for the whole party.

mu ha ha....
    Logo by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    @Jack:

Neither option is more advantageous than the other. So the defending UL would just take damage.
    When the attack is determining which the target is, it behooves the defender to make sure that the attack lands as the opposite of what determined it. Simultaneously both alive and dead, in a controlled fashion.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

So, in other words, he's always healed.

"The Lich uses Touch of Uncertainty on you!"
    "Eh, neither alive nor dead matters here, so I'll be alive."
    "You take 9 negative energy damage."
    "Okay, I'm undead now, so that negative energy heals me."

...Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So now it's Schrodinger's Lich?

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueWizardGirl

I like this. It's a great concept.
    Current Games:
    Spoiler
    Show
    GMing The Lotus Blossoms! [Exalted 3E] (OOC)
    Playing Waldaharjaz in The Convergence of Sky [Exalted 3E]
    Playing Rivers in Welcome to Thorns [Exalted 3E]

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    What do you mean, now?

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

14. - Top - End - #14

Does the natural armor apply for all levels in any class or just uncertanty lich?

Edit:
    "Well, I guess that makes me a necrophiliac..."
    "Do you want to be one?"

So... many... raunchy sketches...
    Last edited by Pie Guy; 2008-09-29 at 11:23 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    It may or may not. That's uncertain.
    Last edited by streakster; 2008-09-29 at 11:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Ya know, Strife, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but streakster made one of the the best analogies of all time. Of all time.
    The perfect fighter fix.
    Hey, the magnificent Shades of gray made me the cool paladin! Give him a hand!
    From time to time, I vanish from the boards. Like Frosty, though, I'll be back again some day!

16. - Top - End - #16

Thanks for the comments. I've tweaked the wording of the Natural Armor bonus and Master of Uncertainty slightly so there's less confusion.

As for Touching another Uncertainty Lich... who can say? We'd probably just change the outcome by measuring it, anyway.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

This makes me wonder if a still-living* cat is an acceptable "object" to be made into a phylactery.

*Well, maybe. It was alive before it was used as a phylactery, at least.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    This makes me wonder if a still-living* cat is an acceptable "object" to be made into a phylactery.

*Well, maybe. It was alive before it was used as a phylactery, at least.
    Lol. Don't open the phylactery

Phylactery
    Spoiler
    Show

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew