New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default New Epic Destinies [3.5]

New Epic Destinies

After years of adventuring, heroes find themselves faced with one last quest. As they pursue their final journey, they realize and achieve their epic destinies, and eventually attain immortality if they can succeed. Some are destined to become High Mages, living incarnations of magic. Others are fated to become Mythic Sovereigns, noble kings or evil tyrants. Still others are chosen to be Eternal Seekers, heroes devoted to chasing down their own fate. Whatever your destiny might be, following it can only bring great power, and greater challenges...

Designer’s Note
    The goal of these are to make epic destinies, one of my personal favorite character options from 4th edition, available to epic characters in 3.5. Wizards already presented rules for 3.5 epic destinies online (see the link above), and I’m simply making a few more for players to use. By the way, if you’re in Paradox Wars: start looking over epic destinies. 21st level isn’t that far away.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: New Epic Destinies [3.5]

Arch-Psion

You are a limitless wellspring of power, a shining beacon amid the darkness of the world. Your thoughts are invested with power to rival that of the gods, and your emotions unbound are as mighty as the most dangerous forces of nature.

Requirements: 21st level, must be capable of manifesting 9th level psionic powers.

{table=head]Level|Benefit
    21st|The Mind Unleashed
    24th|The Mind Unhindered
    27th|The Mind Undying
    30th|The Mind Unbound
    [/table]

The Mind Unleashed (Ex)
    At 21st level, all of your base mental ability scores become equal to the base value of your highest mental ability score. In addition, you gain telepathy out to 100 ft., and power resistance equal to 10 + your character level.

The Mind Unhindered (Su)
    At the beginning of each round, if you are not psionically focused, you may take a swift action to gain psionic focus, without having to make a Concentration check.

The Mind Undying (Su)
    At 27th level, you are treated as having an amount of hit points equal to either your actual hit point total or the amount of power points you have, whichever is higher. However, if your actual hit point total is reduced to -10 or lower, then you begin losing 10 power points each round, and may only take a single standard or move action each round. This ability does not allow effects that restore hit points to instead restore power points, or vice versa–it only applies to determining your current hit point total.

The Mind Unlimited (Su)
    At 30th level, you have become the master of a psionic discipline. Choose one power of each level from one discipline’s list of devotion powers (the powers available only to a Psion who has specialized in that discipline). You may manifest the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-level powers at will as supernatural abilities. You may manifest the 4th, 5th, and 6th-level powers 3 times per day as supernatural abilities, and you may manifest the 7th, 8th, and 9th level powers once per day as supernatural abilities.

All powers manifested this way have a manifester level equal to your character level, and a DC of 10 + 1/2 your manifester level + your highest mental ability score. You may augment or apply metapsionic feats to powers manifested with this ability as normal. However, even though you do not have to pay the power’s pp cost, you still subtract it from your manifester level when determining the maximum number of power points you may expend when manifesting the power. You must still pay the XP cost of any power you manifest with this ability.

Immortality: Worldmind
    At the peak of your power, the boundaries between thought and matter, self and other, life and death become meaningless. Your mortal form may die, but your consciousness is one with the cosmos, omnipresent and omniscient.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-01-31 at 12:29 AM.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Eternal Seeker

Alone among all mortals, Eternal Seekers are truly free from destiny. Their destiny quest is not dictated by fate, but rather, to choose their own fate. Anything is possible to them, and not even their fellow epic heroes nor the gods themselves know where their life’s path will end.

Requirements: 21st level

21st|Seeker’s Lore
    24th|Seeker of Many Paths
    27th|Not My Destiny
    30th|Choose the Path
    [/table]

Seeker’s Lore (Ex)
    At 21st level, nothing is beyond your talents. You are treated as having maximum skill ranks in all skills, and all skills are class skills for you.

Seeker of Many Paths
    At 24th level, you shape your own fate. You may choose a single destiny feature granted by any epic destiny at 21st level, or any class feature granted by a base class at any level up to 20th. You gain that class or destiny feature, using your character level as your effective class level in the class you chose the feature from.

Not My Destiny (Su)
    At 27th level, you can escape the dictates of fate. Once per day, as an immediate action, you may have time turn back by one round, as the time regression psionic power (however, there is no XP cost for this ability).

Choose the Path (Su)
    At 30th level, fate itself bows to your whim. Once per day, you may use the reality revision psionic power as a supernatural ability. You must pay the power’s XP cost.

Immortality: The Journey Never Ends
    No one can know how an Eternal Seeker’s quest might end. Many find immortality in some form or another, and some even ascend to godhood (or fall to become archdemons or devil princes). By this point, anything is possible for the Eternal Seeker.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-01-31 at 12:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

High Mage

You have mastered the deepest of arcane lore, the fundamental power of the cosmos bowing to your will. The mystic craft you practice is your legacy, and the spells you shape shall still remain when all who ever knew your name have perished.

Requirements: 21st level, must be capable of casting 9th-level arcane spells.

21st|Arcane Sight, One With Magic
    24th|Spellblood
    27th|Arcane Contingency
    30th|Master Metamagic
    [/table]

Arcane Sight (Su)
    At 21st level, you gain the benefit of a constant greater arcane sight spell.

One With Magic (Su)
    At 21st level, arcane magic flows from your mind without cease, your thoughts shaping the world around you. Choose one 1st or 0th level Sorcerer or Wizard spell from each school of magic (except for any schools that are forbidden to you). You may use those spells at will as supernatural abilities. Their caster level is equal to your highest arcane caster level, and any DC’s they have are equal to 10 + 1/2 your arcane caster level + your Intelligence or Charisma modifier. Once per encounter, you may use one of your chosen spells as a swift action.

Spellblood (Ex)
    At 24th level, your flesh is suffused with magic, and the arcane running through your veins sustains you. You add your Intelligence or Charisma modifier to your hit dice at each level instead of your Constitution modifier to determine how much hp you receive (this applies to hit dice from past levels). In addition, you may apply your Intelligence or Charisma modifier in place of your Constitution modifier on all Fortitude saves and Concentration checks.

Arcane Contingency (Su)
    At 27th level, you gain the ability to create a mystical ward known as an arcane contingency. By meditating for ten minutes and expending a prepared spell or spell slot, you may grant yourself the benefit of one of the following arcane contingencies. You may benefit from only one arcane contingency at a time, and you may only invoke one arcane contingency per day. The contingencies you may use are:

Adamant Abjuration
    Whenever you would be dealt energy damage (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic damage), this contingency triggers. You gain immunity to that energy type (which negates the damage that would have been dealt of you) and resistance 10 to each other energy type until the end of the encounter. You must expend a spell of 8th level or higher to invoke this arcane contingency.

Epic Resistance
    Whenever you fail a saving throw, this contingency triggers. You instead treat the result of your saving throw as a 20 for determining whether or not you succeed on the save (this is not a natural 20 and, as such, you do not automatically succeed). In addition, you gain a +8 resistance bonus on all saving throws until the end of the encounter. You must expend a spell of 8th level or higher to invoke this arcane contingency.

High Systonodweomer
    Whenever you are reduced to 0 hp or less, this contingency triggers. You are healed an amount of hp equal to 25 times the level of spell you expended to invoke this arcane contingency. You may expend a spell of any level except 0th to invoke this arcane contingency.

Mage’s Resurrection
    Whenever you are killed, this contingency triggers. You are immediately raised, as the true resurrection spell. You must expend three spells of 9th level or higher to invoke this arcane contingency.

Master Metamagic (Su)
    At 30th level, all spells you cast are modified as by the Extend Spell, Silent Spell, and Still Spell metamagic feats, as long as that spell can have those feats applied to it. This does not affect the spells’ levels or casting times. In addition, once per round, you may quicken any spell you cast by expending an additional prepared spell or spell slot of that spell’s level. Doing so does not affect the spell’s level.

Immortality: High Arcanum
    As you complete your destiny, your soul becomes a primal arcane force. With all your life’s labors past but one, you set out to your final work, the creation of a high arcanum. You sacrifice your life to create a grand and potent spell that will last for aeons, with your very soul tied to its magics.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-01-31 at 12:20 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Mythic Sovereign

You are the rightful heir to a great kingdom or vast empire, and fate has chosen you to ascend to the throne. However, before you can rule over your people, you must adventure out into the world and slay some great threat or enemy to your rightful kingdom.

Requirements: 21st level, Leadership

21st|Royal Domain, True King
    24th|Commander of Armies
    27th|Crown of Life
    30th|Sword of Kings
    [/table]

Royal Domain
    You are recognized as the rightful ruler of a kingdom or empire, and celebrated throughout the land. All of your subjects have a base attitude of two steps higher (to a maximum of fantatical) towards you, and you gain a +20 bonus on all Charisma-based skill checks made to influence one of your followers. In addition, as king, you possess a royal estate that allows you and your allies to live at the highest standard of living, and to meet any mundane necessities you might have. The exact nature of your kingdom and estates is left to the DM to determine.

True King (Ex)
    Your mere presence on the battlefield inspires your allies. All allies gain a +5 morale bonus on attacks rolls, damage rolls, and saving throws as long as they are within 60 ft. of you. In addition, all allies within 60 ft. of you gain immunity to fear.

Commander of Armies (Ex)
    At 24th level, you can single-handedly turn the tide of wars and battles. At the beginning of each encounter, you gain access to a pool of 100 commander points. Whenever you or an ally makes an attack, you may expend a number of commander points up to your character level as an immediate action, before the attack roll is made. If you do, and the attack hits, they gain a bonus on the damage roll equal to the number of commander points you spent. Alternatively, whenever you or one of your allies is dealt damaged, you may expend a number of commander points up to your character level as an immediate action. If you do, reduce the damage dealt by 1 for every 2 commander points spent, to a minimum of 0 damage. At 27th level, the pool of commander points increases to 150; at 30th level, it increases to 200.

Crown of Life (Su)
    At 27th level, you are a righteous bulwark to your subjects, sustaining them in war. As long as you are at 1 hp or higher, allies of 25th level or higher that are within 60 ft. of you do not fall unconscious at 0 hp, and can not die from being reduced to -10 hp. Allies who are lower than 25th level instead gain 50 bonus hp, as well as the Diehard feat as a bonus feat.

Sword of Kings (Ex)
    At 30th level, you and your army can slay any foe. Whenever you spend commander points to grant yourself or an ally a damage bonus, that attack ignores damage reduction, and its damage is not affected by fast healing or regeneration.

Immortality: King’s Legacy
    With your destiny quest complete, you ascend to the throne, and rule over your people until the end of your natural life. Fate favors your realm, and wars, revolutions, and plagues seem always to pass over it. When you die you entombed in a grand monument, and your people shall never forget your name.
    Last edited by The Demented One; 2009-01-31 at 12:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Mythic Sovereign

[distilled awesome juice]
    'nuff said.

Seriously, this is Aragorn right after Return of the King. While I absolutely love the flavor of it, I must point out that Crown of Life is impossibly powerful. You've basically made an entire army (of indeterminate though likely considerable size) unkillable except by death effects or starvation. As long as the level 27 (and thus nigh-unkillable) king is alive, everyone else is too.

Maybe you could change the effect so that Crown of Life instead grants Endurance, Diehard, and Improved Toughness to all subjects for free? Though this is epic, so maybe some +5 morale bonuses to AC or converting lethal damage to nonlethal would also be in order.

Overall, I really like the concepts you've presented here.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

7. - Top - End - #7

Well now, I forgot all about epic destinies for a second. I find it interesting that rather than giving them some form of immortality, you gave the High Mage and Mythic Sovereign everlasting glory. Very interesting. And I think 've seen the Eternal Seeker somewhere before, or at least somthing similar to it.
    My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    Seriously, this is Aragorn right after Return of the King. While I absolutely love the flavor of it, I must point out that Crown of Life is impossibly powerful. You've basically made an entire army (of indeterminate though likely considerable size) unkillable except by death effects or starvation. As long as the level 27 (and thus nigh-unkillable) king is alive, everyone else is too.

Maybe you could change the effect so that Crown of Life instead grants Endurance, Diehard, and Improved Toughness to all subjects for free? Though this is epic, so maybe some +5 morale bonuses to AC or converting lethal damage to nonlethal would also be in order.
    I think I might make the unkillability apply only to characters of 25th level or higher, and give lower level guys some bonuses.

And I think 've seen the Eternal Seeker somewhere before, or at least somthing similar to it.
    Are you talking about the 4e Eternal Seeker, or the fact that it's basically a SuperFactotum?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by The Demented One View Post
    Are you talking about the 4e Eternal Seeker, or the fact that it's basically a SuperFactotum?
    Ah! That was it. And, well, yes. It does look like a "SuperFactotum" now that you mention it.
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10

Nice addition to your first batch of Epic Destinies, Demented.

My favorite has to be the Mythic Sovereign, though. Very flavorful. Have you considered making any army the Sovereign is in immune to fear, too? "The God-King is watching! Don't let down Pharaoh now!" or something.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    Nice addition to your first batch of Epic Destinies, Demented.

My favorite has to be the Mythic Sovereign, though. Very flavorful. Have you considered making any army the Sovereign is in immune to fear, too? "The God-King is watching! Don't let down Pharaoh now!" or something.
    Ooh, good idea.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

stupendous. the mythic sovereign in particular fits perfectly into an epic storyline i am tinkering with. nice job.
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

These are indeed REALLY awesome. I love the Mythic Sovereign, though I'd be hard pressed to figure out whether I'd want to play one of them or or an Arch-Psion more.

One correction/suggestion I might make is that, for the One with Magic ability of the High Mage, you should change it to where they have access to one 0- or 1st-level spell from each school THEY HAVE ACCESS TO. Unless you want Wizard/High Mages to have access to spells from schools they've banned.
    Last edited by RTGoodman; 2009-01-25 at 02:54 AM.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rtg0922 View Post
    One correction/suggestion I might make is that, for the One with Magic ability of the High Mage, you should change it to where they have access to one 0- or 1st-level spell from each school THEY HAVE ACCESS TO. Unless you want Wizard/High Mages to have access to spells from schools they've banned.
    Good call, fixed it. I always forget that Wizards can specialize.