New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

confused Re: Kone of Kobold! (And a domain inspired by it)

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    I hate to say it, but...

Your kobold domain doesn't feel very koboldy. It feels more powergamer-using-a-kobold-to-powergame-y, with the PAO and such.
    The kobold domain was put together using spells a kobold might use for kobold-ey things (stealth) or mitigating disadvantages (size).

Edit: Awesome! New page!

Edit: Also, this inspired someone! Yay!
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2009-05-31 at 08:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Kone of Kobold! (And a domain inspired by it)

No, see, what it should be doing is playing up Kobold advantages!

Summon Trap (or whatever it was) was the koboldiest spell EVAR. Instead, you get Enlarge Person, which basically says "I don't want to be a kobold any more." If anything, I'd think it should be Reduce Person! Imagine kobolds squeezing through holes MICE do! That should inspire whole new levels of terror. (Seriously, tiny size + slight frame = your halfling rogue can't even stick his hand in the hole the kobolds just crawled into)

Dragon Wings, ehh, not inspired but pretty draconic. I guess it'll do. I'd use the ones in Dragon Magic though.

Dispel magic? Once again, not terribly inspired.

Divine Power? DIVINE POWER? You're getting into the realm of spells-that-can-totally-screw-unsuspecting-adventurers-over and you go with that? Seriously? My first choice would be Evard's Black Tentacles. When the room starts filling with water and they find they cant climb the ladder because they've been dragged screaming down by a writhing black mass that emerged from the water... Horror story right there. Or what about Baleful Polymorph? These Godly adventurers SOMEHOW got through all these traps, survived all these terrible encounters, and are about to get some grade A mace-vs-face gameplay going on. And you respond by turning them into a newt and bash their head in with a mace. Kobolds just DON'T fight fair, and this domain is trying to make them do that. Why?

Righteous Might? Kobolds? I can't even put the two concepts together in my head.

Cone of Kobolds works fine. (Oh btw I do like the spell, sorry I didn't compliment you on that one.)
    Kobold Glyph of Warding is... alright.

Polymorph Any Object is just abusive. It's not thematic, since at that point you can do all sorts of nasty things like turn their codpiece into a Vorpal Codpiece +5 and then kick them in the crotch from 120' away, and all it really does is have a kobold go "I'm a dwagon! Fo' realz, yo!"

Dragonshape, once again uninspired but thematic. Ok.

I think the biggest grief here is that you're embracing the 'humanoid minidragon' aspect fully and I am embracing the 'cunning sneaking plotting cruel backstabbing unfair-fighting doomsmith' angle of Tucker's Kobolds.
    Last edited by TSED; 2009-05-31 at 09:10 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Post Re: Kone of Kobold! (And a domain inspired by it)

Quote Originally Posted by TSED View Post
    No, see, what it should be doing is playing up Kobold advantages!

Summon Trap (or whatever it was) was the koboldiest spell EVAR. Instead, you get Enlarge Person, which basically says "I don't want to be a kobold any more." If anything, I'd think it should be Reduce Person! Imagine kobolds squeezing through holes MICE do! That should inspire whole new levels of terror. (Seriously, tiny size + slight frame = your halfling rogue can't even stick his hand in the hole the kobolds just crawled into)

Dragon Wings, ehh, not inspired but pretty draconic. I guess it'll do. I'd use the ones in Dragon Magic though.

Dispel magic? Once again, not terribly inspired.

Divine Power? DIVINE POWER? You're getting into the realm of spells-that-can-totally-screw-unsuspecting-adventurers-over and you go with that? Seriously? My first choice would be Evard's Black Tentacles. When the room starts filling with water and they find they cant climb the ladder because they've been dragged screaming down by a writhing black mass that emerged from the water... Horror story right there. Or what about Baleful Polymorph? These Godly adventurers SOMEHOW got through all these traps, survived all these terrible encounters, and are about to get some grade A mace-vs-face gameplay going on. And you respond by turning them into a newt and bash their head in with a mace. Kobolds just DON'T fight fair, and this domain is trying to make them do that. Why?

Righteous Might? Kobolds? I can't even put the two concepts together in my head.

Cone of Kobolds works fine. (Oh btw I do like the spell, sorry I didn't compliment you on that one.)
    Kobold Glyph of Warding is... alright.

Polymorph Any Object is just abusive. It's not thematic, since at that point you can do all sorts of nasty things like turn their codpiece into a Vorpal Codpiece +5 and then kick them in the crotch from 120' away, and all it really does is have a kobold go "I'm a dwagon! Fo' realz, yo!"

Dragonshape, once again uninspired but thematic. Ok.

I think the biggest grief here is that you're embracing the 'humanoid minidragon' aspect fully and I am embracing the 'cunning sneaking plotting cruel backstabbing unfair-fighting doomsmith' angle of Tucker's Kobolds.
    Like I said, I tried finding spells that would help negate their opponents advantages. This seems kobold-ey to me. And Kobold Glyph of Warding seemed very kobold-ey (even by your standards. Magic trap?). Finally, I meant to change dragon wings to invisibility. I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by arb514 View Post
    It's overpowered in some circumstances for a 0 level spell (kobold Form, not the Baleful One). Imagine this the 3rd Level PCs are running around trying to find some way to infiltrate the Kobold base. This plot has lasted three sessions and tthey are getting desperate they must quest to Find some master Infiltator. And Then They can- Level Up! new Spell!! Koblod Form! No problem! you should make it at least a Level One Spell? or Two?
    Yes, it has uses. It is usually not-so-good. You'd probably reduce Strength and Constitution, and maybe Dexterity, too. Overall, it dosn't seem so bad to me. Isn't Alter Self 1st-level? Kobold Form is a restricted version, I belive.
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

4. - Top - End - #34

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Yes, it has uses. It is usually not-so-good. You'd probably reduce Strength and Constitution, and maybe Dexterity, too. Overall, it dosn't seem so bad to me. Isn't Alter Self 1st-level? Kobold Form is a restricted version, I belive.
    No, Disguise Self is 1st level. Alter Self is a level 2 spell.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

eek Re: Kone of Kobold! (And a domain inspired by it)

Quote Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
    No, Disguise Self is 1st level. Alter Self is a level 2 spell.
    My bad. Stilll, a kobold is about as weak as you get. The only use is infiltration of a society you could probably slay single-handedly if you're a human fighter of any level (Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave), while Alter Self can give you flight (raptorans), ability adjustments, etc.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

6. - Top - End - #36

RedWizardGuy

My bad. Stilll, a kobold is about as weak as you get. The only use is infiltration of a society you could probably slay single-handedly if you're a human fighter of any level (Power Attack/Cleave/Great Cleave), while Alter Self can give you flight (raptorans), ability adjustments, etc.
    It's not really a big deal, if you're talking about infiltration then an illusion would do most of the time anyway. Of course Disguise Self wouldn't work on kobolds, only your own race, so who knows? How likely is trying to infiltrate a kobold lair going to be anyway, especially at level one?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Banned

Fixed spelling

For 1 round/level, then they're gone.

Also, I fixed spelling.

Clever, all around!
    Thanks, but you can just leave my words misspelled if you want.

Kone of Kobolds (Greater)

2d10 + 20 Kobolds. They are permanent.
    Too powerful. You could build an army very fast that way.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arb514 View Post
    I find there should be a Least ,Greater and Lesser kone of Kobold. For Instance:
    Kone of Kobolds (Greater)

2d10 + 20 Kobolds. They are permanent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormthorn View Post
    Too powerful. You could build an army very fast that way.
    Well, if it was high enough level...

Cone of Kobolds, Greater
    Conjuration (calling) (mis-spelled)
    Level: Sor/Wis 9, Kobold 9
    Casting time: 1 round
    Duration: Instantaneuos

This spell functions as Cone of Kobolds, except as noted. The damage is 1d8 points of bludgeoning damage per level (maximun 30d8), and the kobolds get a charge attack (no save). The spell calls 1d4 1st-level kobold warriors per level (maximum 30d4); they serve you for 1 month/caster level or until they die. The kobolds are likely to interpret commands in the worst possible way unless the caster is a kobold or dragon, unless the caster makes sacrifices for them or gives great punishments to the disobayers.

Arcane Material Component: Kobold scales and a tiny spear.

Special: If a kobold casts this spell, the kobolds stay for 1d3 months/caster level.
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2009-06-22 at 05:35 PM.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Yes!!!!

Spells For Lok!
    Yup, I'm back

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

confused Re: Kone of Kobold! (And a domain inspired by it)

Quote Originally Posted by lord of kobolds View Post
    Yes!!!!

Spells For Lok!
    Spells for...oh.

Edit: Reread thread, took TSED's suggestions for specific replacements (mostly).
    Last edited by GreatWyrmGold; 2009-06-22 at 05:09 PM.
    Quotes, more

Fanfic