New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Not quite cursed items

I'm trying to develop a low magic campaign in which almost all magic is in magic items. Trouble is these items are not enchanted perfectly and I would like some help coming up with more.

A typical item would something like:
    Cloak of Flying
    Allows the wearer to fly for up to ten minutes a day, but when the cloak is put on it inserts several spikes through the wearers neck (there is no way to avoid these spikes). The spike then proceed to do 1d6 of damage per round. To remove the cloak you need a Str check of 15 or an escape artist check of 15.

Longsword of Ice
    A +2 longsword that does a d10 of frost damage on a successful hit but freezes itself to the target with a 6" radius sphere of ice, requiring a Str check of 13 to remove.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Not quite cursed items

well you have some classics like the sword of berserk its a magic sword hat sends you into an uncontrollable rage attacking friend and foe alike until remove curse is cast.

more useful something like the blood mace which loses it's enchantment if you don't cover it with blood.

you could make items that normal worked but sometimes don't like say a wand of cure light that has a 1 in 10 chance of casting cause light instead or something along those lines

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

My DM gave me cursed strongarm bracers that quote Samuel L. Jackson's lines from pulp fiction when I one hand two handed weapons. I said that's more a blessing.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    My DM gave me cursed strongarm bracers that quote Samuel L. Jackson's lines from pulp fiction when I one hand two handed weapons. I said that's more a blessing.
    Which lines?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Which lines?
    Depends on what I'm doing at the time. I can imagine if I'm asking questions, and the guy keeps saying "what?" I'd get those.

Otherwise, ones that don't quite fit, such as conversations about cheeseburgers in France.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

When making loot for an encounter I skimmed across the cursed items section in the DMG. They give alot of examples of how to make a cursed item. Alot of the examples are not really cursed but problematic.

One suggestion required a save in order to avoid the curse. Like save when used, a time of day, when put on, when X happens. DCs where fairly reasonable 12 - 18.

I cursed a pair of gauntlets of ogre power this way. Every morning I would roll a fort save 16 in secret for the player. If it failed the gauntlets would give a negative 4 to strength insted of a pluss. The studs in the guantlets glowed with a green light when ever they where used.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sprinkler of Food Purifying
    Perhaps a magic item that can potentially purify spoiled food unlimited times per day, as per the spell, but afterwards the food tastes so awful (yet it is nourishing and beneficial) that any character needs to succeed on a fortitude (or will ; ) save, else he vomits and the food is wasted. Alternatively that item makes any food taste so salty, that a person needs the double amount of water that day.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Can't go wrong with a classic (I'm doing this by recollection, since I can't find the thread)

Sword of Dragon Laying: Functions as a normal +5 sword, until the wielder encounters a dragon. At which point it casts charm person on both the wielder and the dragon to convince them to have sexual relations (bypasses SR, DC 50 save). If the two are both of the same sex, the sword will reverse the gender of the wielder for the length of a potential pregnancy +1d12 months. If one of the parties gets pregnant, the sword casts Geas on the female party to make her carry the child to term (she resists all attempts to get her to get rid of the child, or polymorph her back into her original form if shifted)

Also, I just recalled one more

Bluffstone: This stone grants a +20 bonus to your bluff checks, but every time you make a bluff you must make a will save equal to your bluff check or believe it yourself. This check increases by 5 for every time you tell the same lie in a day.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    Can't go wrong with a classic (I'm doing this by recollection, since I can't find the thread)

Sword of Dragon Laying: Functions as a normal +5 sword, until the wielder encounters a dragon. At which point it casts charm person on both the wielder and the dragon to convince them to have sexual relations (bypasses SR, DC 50 save). If the two are both of the same sex, the sword will reverse the gender of the wielder for the length of a potential pregnancy +1d12 months. If one of the parties gets pregnant, the sword casts Geas on the female party to make her carry the child to term (she resists all attempts to get her to get rid of the child, or polymorph her back into her original form if shifted)
    Well that's sexist...

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    Well that's sexist...
    How, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    How, exactly?
    Um ... it somehow indicates that sex should be between members of opposite sex, rather than regarding all combinations of male and female as equal.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Acromos View Post
    Um ... it somehow indicates that sex should be between members of opposite sex, rather than regarding all combinations of male and female as equal.
    Not really sexist. Plus it seems to attempt pregnancy more than sex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Personally I find it funny (it's a cursed item, not a comment on political issues), but it's not hard to change it a bit if you want to do it that way.

14. - Top - End - #14

No, it tries to make someone pregnant with a half-dragon.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

15. - Top - End - #15

Then it's heteronormative, not sexist.

I think it's a hilarious item, and I see no issue with it. Since it's for a fantasy game and all. Of course, some players wouldn't be comfortable with such an item, so it's just a matter of being aware of who you're playing with.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Check out the "Artifacts that won't grant world domination" thread.

Otherwise here is another:

Charm of the Player

This is a charm to be worn around the neck. It is an item which can telepathically speak to the wearer. It will speak to the character. telling him exactly what to say to court another of the opposite gender. Unfortunately it will only converse on matters that will win over others carrying around an STD.
    The wearer gets a +4 circumstance modifier to whatever roll is needed to convince another person to sleep with them, with the condition that that person has an STD.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: True Neutral Human Sorcerer (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-19
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-13
    Charisma-8

Stone cold love to Nevitan, kudos for the Avatar.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by The Neoclassic View Post
    Of course, some players wouldn't be comfortable with such an item, so it's just a matter of being aware of who you're playing with.
    Gee, really? Who wouldn't be fine with the DM pulling a "Your character gets raped by a dragon"?

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Gee, really? Who wouldn't be fine with the DM pulling a "Your character gets raped by a dragon"?
    It's not rape. It charms both characters.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, magic compulsion to have sex isn't rape?

Isn't that similar to dosing a girl with Ecstacy to make her want you?

20. - Top - End - #20

Perhaps something like this already exists:

Boots of Dwarven Stability
    These heavy boots are crafted with a mithril tread, which is so cleverly made that it does an exceptional job gripping most surfaces such as rock, grass, por dirt. Gives a non-dwarf humanoid +4 to resist bull rush or trip when standing on the ground, but reduces land speed by 10' AND the character can not run, and suffers the same armor check penalty to climbing/jumping/swimming as if he were wearing heavy armor.

Perhaps the boots should also give a bonus to Balance checks or the Reflex save required when somebody casts Grease on you!
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Depends on what I'm doing at the time. I can imagine if I'm asking questions, and the guy keeps saying "what?" I'd get those.

Otherwise, ones that don't quite fit, such as conversations about cheeseburgers in France.
    I've done something similar before to for a player of mine; the trick is simply to adapt the quotes so they're relevant, but are still recognizable.

An Eberron example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item: How you boys doin'? Hey, keep chillin'. You know who we are? We're associates of your business partner [BBEG]. You do remember your business partner don't you? Let me take a wild guess here. You're his minion, right?
    Bad Guy: Yeah.
    Item: I thought so. You remember your business partner [BBEG], don't you, little minion?
    Bad Guy: Yeah, yeah, I remember him.
    Item: Good. Looks like me an' [PC] caught you boys at breakfast. Sorry about that. Whatcha havin'?
    Bad Guy: Steaks.
    Item: Steaks! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of steaks?
    Bad Guy: D-dire animal steaks.
    Item: No, no no, what kinda recipe? Cyran? Karnnathi? Brelish? Where?
    Bad Guy: Velociraptor Steakhouse.
    Item: Velociraptor Steakhouse. That's that Talenta steak joint. I hear they got some tasty steaks. I ain't never had one myself. How are they?
    Bad Guy: They're good.
    Item: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?
    Item: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty steak
    Bad Guy: Wait, how does an item eat--?
    Item: Shut up, I'm the intelligent item here. [PC], ever have a Velociraptor Steak? Wanna bite? They're real tasty.
    [PC]: Ain't hungry.
    Item: Well, if you like steaks give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because the other bracer's a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian. But I do love the taste of a good steak. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a 2gp Velociraptor with cheese in the Mournland?
    Bad Guy: No.
    Item: Tell 'em, [PC].
    [PC]: A Meatbag with cheese.
    Item: A Meatbag with cheese! You know why they call it that?
    Bad Guy: Because they're all warforged and don't eat them?
    Item: Check out the Int score on the minion! You're a smart ************. That's right. They're warforged. What's in this?
    Bad Guy: Kundarak beer.
    Item: Beer, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?
    Bad Guy: Go right ahead.

And there's always the Forgotten Realms: "NETHERESE, ************! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?"
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2009-09-09 at 11:47 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Neoclassic View Post
    Then it's heteronormative, not sexist.

I think it's a hilarious item, and I see no issue with it. Since it's for a fantasy game and all. Of course, some players wouldn't be comfortable with such an item, so it's just a matter of being aware of who you're playing with.
    Correct, but its also sexist because it removes the choice as to whether or not to terminate pregnency. Which would be kind of odd in the case the dragon got knocked up, they still lay eggs, right? Or would the sword force the dragon to polymorph into a humanoid form? Does the sword force a polymorph at all? If not, the ramifications could be messy in the case of a female humanoid (or not, do dragons even have external male genitalia?)

What if the Dragon encountered is below the young adult age category? Does it then compel forced interspecies pedophelia?

I think I would not use the item because for as amusing it could be, I'm sure there would be many questions that arise that I don't particularly want to know the answers to.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I've done something similar before to for a player of mine; the trick is simply to adapt the quotes so they're relevant, but are still recognizable.

An Eberron example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Item: How you boys doin'? Hey, keep chillin'. You know who we are? We're associates of your business partner [BBEG]. You do remember your business partner don't you? Let me take a wild guess here. You're his minion, right?
    Bad Guy: Yeah.
    Item: I thought so. You remember your business partner [BBEG], don't you, little minion?
    Bad Guy: Yeah, yeah, I remember him.
    Item: Good. Looks like me an' [PC] caught you boys at breakfast. Sorry about that. Whatcha havin'?
    Bad Guy: Steaks.
    Item: Steaks! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast. What kind of steaks?
    Bad Guy: D-dire animal steaks.
    Item: No, no no, what kinda recipe? Cyran? Karnnathi? Brelish? Where?
    Bad Guy: Velociraptor Steakhouse.
    Item: Velociraptor Steakhouse. That's that Talenta steak joint. I hear they got some tasty steaks. I ain't never had one myself. How are they?
    Bad Guy: They're good.
    Item: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?
    Item: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty steak
    Bad Guy: Wait, how does an item eat--?
    Item: Shut up, I'm the intelligent item here. [PC], ever have a Velociraptor Steak? Wanna bite? They're real tasty.
    [PC]: Ain't hungry.
    Item: Well, if you like steaks give 'em a try sometime. I can't usually get 'em myself because the other bracer's a vegetarian which pretty much makes me a vegetarian. But I do love the taste of a good steak. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a 2gp Velociraptor with cheese in the Mournland?
    Bad Guy: No.
    Item: Tell 'em, [PC].
    [PC]: A Meatbag with cheese.
    Item: A Meatbag with cheese! You know why they call it that?
    Bad Guy: Because they're all warforged and don't eat them?
    Item: Check out the Int score on the minion! You're a smart ************. That's right. They're warforged. What's in this?
    Bad Guy: Kundarak beer.
    Item: Beer, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?
    Bad Guy: Go right ahead.

And there's always the Forgotten Realms: "NETHERESE, ************! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?"
    This here? This is why Pair 'O Dice Lost always wins forever. Dice, you win everything forever. I approve of it.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    This here? This is why Pair 'O Dice Lost always wins forever. Dice, you win everything forever. I approve of it.
    I try.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    I try.
    The original version of that last quote is my friend's most favorite quote from that movie. Kudos. I lol'd irl.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    Perhaps something like this already exists:

Boots of Dwarven Stability
    These heavy boots are crafted with a mithril tread, which is so cleverly made that it does an exceptional job gripping most surfaces such as rock, grass, por dirt. Gives a non-dwarf humanoid +4 to resist bull rush or trip when standing on the ground, but reduces land speed by 10' AND the character can not run, and suffers the same armor check penalty to climbing/jumping/swimming as if he were wearing heavy armor.

Perhaps the boots should also give a bonus to Balance checks or the Reflex save required when somebody casts Grease on you!
    That sounds the iron boots from the Legend of Zelda games.

Also, yeah, the dragon laying sword, more than a little creepy. >.> And yes, I'd consider magically induced compulsion would count as rape (since in some states, if she's had any alchohol, it still counts as rape) and thats beside the genderswapping (which is a squick for a good percentage of the population)and forced to carry to term (also kind of creepy and rapeish)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

eek Re: Not quite cursed items

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Wait, magic compulsion to have sex isn't rape?

Isn't that similar to dosing a girl with Ecstacy to make her want you?
    Magical compulsion to have sex is rape. But the dragon is not the one doing the raping. The sword is. Which, if anything, makes it even creepier.

I'm new to the forum, but a long-time comic reader, and strange items sound appealing for an upcoming campaign.

Bracers of Lechery (yes, inspired by the "Magic items to put back" gag)
    These function as normal Bracers of Archery, but can only be worn by females. When so worn, they will regularly make audible lewd comments. This imposes a severe penalty on all Move Silently checks, as one would expect.

Shield of Sparrow Deflection
    Functions as an ordinary shield, but grants unusual deflection bonuses, which stack if more than one applies
    +1 against any non-living projectile with feathers
    +4 against melee attacks from living birds (including Raptorans)
    +2 against any dive attack or ranged attack from above

Gauntlets of Ogress Power
    If worn by a female, these function as normal Gauntlets of Ogre Power. If a male attempts to put them on, he must make a DC 20 Fort save. Success means the gauntlets fall off and have no effect. If the save is failed, the wearer is polymorphed into a female. This process is extremely disorienting. If the victim fails a DC 15 Will save, he suffers Confusion (As the spell) for 24 hours and takes 1d4 Wisdom damage (which heals at the normal rate or with a restoration spell) from the mental strain. The transformation is permanent, and is not a curse, but it can be reversed by any spell that would normally have the effect of turning a woman into a man, however such spells do not work while the gauntlets are worn.

Belt of the Naked Monk
    When worn about the waist, this lightweight cord of rope grants its wearer a +4 enhancement bonus to natural armor, a +2 enhancement bonus to all attacks while unarmed or using monk weapons, and the ability to cast Invisibility (self only) 3 times per day as a swift action. However, it also renders any clothing or armor they are wearing invisible (and thus transparent). Jewelry and the belt are unaffected by this, but do become invisible when casting the invisibility spell.

Stone of Unreliable Power
    This flawed, oddly-shaped gem can be activated once per day with a command word. Immediately upon activation, the user gains the benefits of Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Endurance, Owl's Wisdom, Fox's Cunning, Eagle's Splendor, Shield of Faith, Mage Armor, Greater Invisibility, Nondetection, Greater Magic Fang, and protection from all alignments. However, each round after activation, each of these effects has an independent 50% chance of dissipating without warning. This chance increases by 1% each round, and by 5% each time an effect is lost.

28. - Top - End - #28

Bag of Holding with Hole:

As Bag of Holding, Type 1, but a noticable hole is on the side of the bag, which leaks one item every 1d6 hours.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

29. - Top - End - #29

Keyboard of Thread Animation
    When used as a focus for an Animate Dead spell, this keyboard allows the caster to avoid the requirement for a material component. However, it can only be used to animate threads and epistolary discussions.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    Keyboard of Thread Animation
    When used as a focus for an Animate Dead spell, this keyboard allows the caster to avoid the requirement for a material component. However, it can only be used to animate threads and epistolary discussions.
    This reminds me of an encounter idea I had, with a cleric negotiating (badly) with enemy soldiers and going through a bag of onyx, while they laugh at the feeble attempt at a bribe. He responds with an indignant huff. "How dare you accuse me of bribery! I was merely counting my gems to ensure I had enough material components to raise you as zombies once we kill you. I so hate to waste good corpses."