New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default [Creature] We speak for the wild children

Skrytinn'kanina

A cold wind suddenly blows by, rustling the nearby leaves and a strange scent fills the air. As you turn the first thing you see are the eyes, those horrifying blood-red eyes...

Medium Fey (extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 8d6+8 (36 hp)
    Initiative: +4
    Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 18 (+4 dex, +4 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+4
    Attack: Skrytinn's Touch +8 melee touch (1d4+7 plus 1d4 dexterity and strength) or bite +3 melee (1d4)
    Full attack: 2 Skrytinn's Touch +8 melee touch (1d4+7 plus 1d4 dexterity and strength) or bite +3 melee (1d4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./10 ft.
    Special Attacks: Call of the wild, skrytinn's touch, spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/cold iron, darkvision 60 ft., honored by nature's children, immunity to illusion, sleep and paralysis, low-light vision, rabbit hole, see invisibility, spell resistance 21, telepathy 100 ft., trackless step, uncanny dodge
    Saves: Fort +3, Ref +10, Will +8
    Abilities: Str 10, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 24
    Skills: Bluff +18, Diplomacy +20, Hide +10, Intimidate +20, Jump +10*, Knowledge (arcana) +14, Knowledge (nature) +14, Listen +13, Move Silently +15, Spellcraft +10, Spot +7, Sense Motive +13
    Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Run, Weapon Finesse(B)
    Environment: Cold or Temperate Forest
    Organization: Solitary, Circle 4-20, Burrow 20+
    Challenge Rating: 8
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Always Lawful Neutral
    Advancement: By class level
    Level Adjustment: -

The skrytinn'kanina are vaguely man-like, with snow white skin with the appearance of parchment stretched over delicate bones. Its proportions are lanky and lean, if not skeletal. Its fingers are so long and supple to be almost tentacles. Enormous eyes of a dark red color with slanted corners peer out from the sharp face with an unreadable expression. Long blood-pink ears lie close to the head with sharp points. They are at once both inhumanly beautiful and deeply disturbing.

These enigmatic beings are rarely seen, or at least seen more than once. They care nothing for mortals and only acknowledge their existence when they intrude upon their demesne or post a threat to nearby wilderness or other fey. In fact, they are the mediators of many woodland fey and their voice to mortal intruders. If a woodsman wishes to cut trees within the forest of a dryad, it is a skrytinn'kanina who is sought for an agreement. However, with the contempt they hold for mortals, they only show themselves to speak with those of high standing or particularly learned individuals. Kings, emperors, or casters of great renown are all who they will entreat with. Even then they are cold and show no disrespect or respect, treating them with a complete lack of emotion or compassion. This has brought many to think them emotionless, but they indeed have feelings, alien though they are to most races.

Skrytinn'kanina live within vast, cold burrows of stone and earth lit by heatless red flames. What is to be found beyond the stairwell that mortals are allowed to see remains a mystery. However, skrytinn'kanina are known for their attraction to the mystery of magic and may practice their spell casting within.

Their homes never seem to be in the same place, having a spatial conformity all their own. They do have favorite forests however, and their doorways tend to be found in the sides of woodland hills or slopes. Some even say that their burrows are links between the material plane and the land of faerie.

Skrytinn'kanina weigh 120 lbs, and stand six to seven feet tall, though are generally hunched over and appearing shorter. They speak common and sylvan though can use their telepathy to speak with others.

Combat
    Skrytinn'kanina are not so much pacifistic as it is that they disdain combat. If possible they merely go invisible and summon a portal to lead them away from their unworthy opponents. The kanina have long memories however, and those who insult them are wont to be punished, though it may take many years to exact vengeance.

If forced into serious combat a skrytinn uses its call of the wild to soften up if not entirely do away with its opponent and summon aid. It then leaps and dances about with inhuman agility, brushing with its long fingers.

Call of the Wild (Su):
    As a standard action a Skrytinn can let forth a piercing, eerie howl that causes intense fear in non-faerie beings. All non-faerie within sixty feet must succeed on a will save (DC 21) or become panicked for a number of rounds equal to each point by which they failed their save. Even those who make the save remain shaken until their next turn. Those who make the save cannot be affected again for 24 hours. This a sonic, mind-affecting effect. The save DC is Charisma-based.

The secondary effect of this is that this call summons a number of woodland fey, whose combined HD cannot exceed the Skrytinn's, from the nearby forests.
    There is a 10% chance this brings forth a second Skrytinn'kanina from the burrow. This second one may also call out a summoning.
    These fey appear 2d6 rounds after the call, and defend the Skrytinn'kanina to the best of their ability if it is under attack. Otherwise they wait to be commanded before acting.

Honored By Nature's Children (Ex):
    Skrytinn'kanina are instinctively known by all woodland fey, who regard them as their trusted friend and ally. This only effects fey, and acts as an automatic Charm Monster spell, though is not a supernatural or spell-like affect. Skrytinn'kanina in turn never willingly harm or mistreat a fellow fey.

Rabbit Hole (Sp):
    As a full-round action a Skrytinn can summon a doorway to its burrow out to sixty feet away that may appear upon any natural surface. The doorway is always visible and shows only a stone stairway from which pours a dim red light and a chill breeze. Once the Skrytinn passes through it may immediately close or remain open at its wish.
    The doorway is warded against all creatures but fey and outsiders from the Plane of Faerie.
    As such, no other peoples are capable of passing through it unless the Skyrytinn wishes it.
    The caverns where the door leads are surrounded by a force affect that repels transportation and incorporeal visitors, such as ghosts.

See Invisibility (Ex): A skrytinn'kanina is continuously effected as by a See Invisibility spell.

Skrytinn's Touch (Su):
    A skrytinn's mere touch causes seizures in beings with a defined anatomy to the point the muscles begin to damage themselves. They take 1d6 damage, plus an additional amount of damage equal to the skrytinn's charisma modifier, as well as 1d4 points of damage to their Strength and Dexterity scores. Damage from multiple hits stack.
    A successful DC 21 Fortitude save halves the ability damage, for a minimum of 1 point of strength and dexterity damage. On a successful critical the victim falls prone for 1d6 rounds. While prone from a critical he is paralyzed and automatically takes damage each round as his muscles tear themselves apart. After the fit subsides the victim becomes fatigued.
    Every 24 hours after this critical hit the victim must succeed on the save above or suffer from another attack. These bouts of seizures lasts indefinitely unless one casts Remove Curse upon the subject and succeeds on an opposed caster level check against the HD of the Skrytinn that inflicted the curse. Save DC's are Charisma based.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 11th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
    At will/Arcane Mark, Continual Flame, Invisibility; 3/day Greater Invisibility.

Telepathy (Su): A skrytinn'kanina can speak telepathically with any creature that it shares a language out to 100 ft.

Trackless Step (Ex): A skrytinn leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. It may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex):
    Skrytinn'kanina retain their Dexterity bonus to AC even if they are caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, they still lose their Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.

Skills: *Skrytinn'kanina have a +6 racial bonus on listen and jump checks, and use their dexterity modifier for jump checks. Their natural colorings also grant them a +4 bonus to hide checks in snowy surroundings.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-27 at 09:31 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [Creature] We speak for the wild children

I like the fluff for this a lot. Is it inspired by a particular myth or story, or did you just come up with it?

You mentioned that they speak Fey, do you mean Sylvan? Also, they deal physical and dexterity damage. Do you mean strength and dexterity?
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TabletopNuke View Post
    I like the fluff for this a lot. Is it inspired by a particular myth or story, or did you just come up with it?
    All mine.

You mentioned that they speak Fey, do you mean Sylvan? Also, they deal physical and dexterity damage. Do you mean strength and dexterity?
    Yeah, wish I'd stop doing that...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Very, very nice. I love the permanent epilepsy curse effect of the critical touch. Vicious.

The HP is off. Way low. You wrote 36, I believe it should be 60?

I can imagine doing a lot of interesting things with these...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

When I first saw the thread title I was hoping it was gonna be a write up of the Lorax. This might be even better.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Huh, I thought I had a post here mentioning I'd upgraded it, but now it's gone... how'd y'all notice it?

Edit: Oh yeah, mentioned it in the albino tree thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker View Post
    Very, very nice. I love the permanent epilepsy curse effect of the critical touch. Vicious.
    I.e. elfshot

The HP is off. Way low. You wrote 36, I believe it should be 60?
    HP is always averaged.

It has 8d6+8.

This is how you calculate a creature's average HD. All Wizards creatures are done this way. You take the amount of HD, multiply it by half the type of HD with a .5.

Example: 8d6+8
    8 HD x 3.5 +8 = 36

The low number is also partially made up for by high DR and spell resistance.

I can imagine doing a lot of interesting things with these...
    Yeah, they are the head honchos of the Red Dew Forest in my A Dying Ember campaign as you may have seen. They deal with the Knights of the Golden Orchard to keep the peace between fey and human.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2011-01-26 at 04:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I'm getting CR 10 for this one not CR 8. (7 +3 +3 +14/3=10)

I recommend that you either give it the 3 extra hit dice or lower its CL to 8 (see Spell-like Abilities). I'd actually prefer to see this one with 11 HD as it could use the extra hit points. Usually, I'd ask you to cut back on the Special Abilities but they are all appropriate (except perhaps the Spell Resistance).

You have a good writing style, marred by grammatical and punctuation errors. I think you can do a lot better.

For example, "The doorway is warded against non-fey or outsiders from the Plane of Faerie." This means that the doorway is warded against non-Fey or it is warded against Outsiders from the Plane of Faerie, as if there were 50% chance of either one. Considering the earlier fluff, I don't think that is what you meant to say. I think you meant to say that the doorway is warded against non-Fey except Outsiders from the Plane of Faerie. Of course, why specifically Outsiders and not just any creature from the Plane of Faerie?

Honored by Nature's Children should be more specific in that the charm monster spell should only be able to affect creatures with the Fey type.

Getting on the stat block. Attack lines should show ability damage correctly. I'm a wee bit concerned about the amount of ability damage it can do. At 11 HD I'm slightly less concerned. It's not quite on par with a wraith at CR 11, but too much for CR 8 just for comparison. On the other hand, why it can't use both touches and bite as a full attack? These are natural weapons after all and it has to be close enough to make the melee touch attack. Last of all, it is severely disadvantaged at a distance. Give the poor thing a sling at least. If nothing else, it can ping at things that annoy it without having to get up close and personal.

Attack: Skrytinn's Touch +8 melee touch (1d4+7 plus 1d4 dexterity and 1d4 strength) or bite +3 melee (1d4) or sling +8 ranged (1d6)
    Full attack: 2 Skrytinn's Touches +8 melee touch (1d4+7 plus 1d4 dexterity and 1d4 strength) and bite +3 melee (1d4) or sling +8 ranged (1d6)

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    I'm getting CR 10 for this one not CR 8. (7 +3 +3 +14/3=10)
    By your calculations there it'd be 9. That is also my estimate. However, the HP stinks, so I lowered it by one.

For example, "The doorway is warded against non-fey or outsiders from the Plane of Faerie." This means that the doorway is warded against non-Fey or it is warded against Outsiders from the Plane of Faerie, as if there were 50% chance of either one.
    I'd noted that earlier, that some might read it wrongly, but didn't quite get that out of it. Will try to make it so it can't be read wrong.

Of course, why specifically Outsiders and not just any creature from the Plane of Faerie?
    Because Outsiders and Fey (extraplanar) are the main creatures from Faerie, and the only types that'd be aristocracy of the courts. Not many other types (aside from some I've written) are from there. In fact, can't think of a single one off the top of my head. However, if some elfcat or something wants to sneak in, it'd still have to be with their permission.

Honored by Nature's Children should be more specific in that the charm monster spell should only be able to affect creatures with the Fey type.
    How much more specific can I really make it?

"Skrytinn'kanina are instinctively known by all woodland fey, who regard them (the skrytinn) as their (the fey in this same sentence) trusted friend and ally. This (friendship mentioned right behind it) acts as an automatic Charm Monster spell, though is not a supernatural or spell-like affect. Skrytinn'kanina in turn never willingly harm or mistreat a fellow fey."

It seems redundant for me to add 'And this only works on fey' which is the only type I've mentioned in the entire ability.

Getting on the stat block. Attack lines should show ability damage correctly. I'm a wee bit concerned about the amount of ability damage it can do.
    Well, take a look at venomous vermin.
    - A CR 3 monstrous wasp does 1d6 dex damage, as primary and secondary.
    - A CR 6 monstrous centipede does 1d8 dex damage, twice as much as this, as primary and secondary.
    - A CR 8 monstrous spider deals 2d6 str damage, 3 times more than this.

The DCs aren't quite as high, except for the monstrous spider which is equal, but then, they are much lower leveled.

It's not quite on par with a wraith at CR 11, but too much for CR 8 just for comparison.
    A wraith isn't a good comparison. It deals drain. This drain is also to constitution which can kill you and lowers HP either way. It also gains hit points from this drain.

On the other hand, why it can't use both touches and bite as a full attack?
    Because it didn't seem likely. Either they reach out with an arm and touch, or they reach out a mouth to bite. That's just the way I preferred it.

These are natural weapons after all and it has to be close enough to make the melee touch attack. Last of all, it is severely disadvantaged at a distance. Give the poor thing a sling at least. If nothing else, it can ping at things that annoy it without having to get up close and personal.
    It's fingers probably aren't much good for slings. Also, keep in mind its invisibility at will, and greater invisibility 3/day. It can move silently up, completely unseen. Won't even see its footprints sneaking up as it has trackless step.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Okay, I cede those points to you as quite valid other than 7+3+3+14/3=10 not 9 (30/3=10).

A 8 HD creature with CR 10 with as few hit points as it has may not last very long in a straight up fight. I didn't even factor in summoning an additional skyrytinn in the CR, which it should be according to the rules.

"Skrytinn'kanina are instinctively known by all woodland fey, who regard them (the skrytinn) as their (the fey in this same sentence) trusted friend and ally. This (friendship mentioned right behind it) acts as an automatic Charm Monster spell, though is not a supernatural or spell-like affect. Skrytinn'kanina in turn never willingly harm or mistreat a fellow fey."
    Because you imply that the charm monster spell only affects Fey creature when you need to explicitly state it. Rules lawyers have a field day with these things. Just because they wouldn't harm a Fey with the spell doesn't say they wouldn't harm other creatures with it. That's why you have to set the parameters as much as possible. You know what you meant, but it isn't what you said. Although I could suss it out, the subtlety would be lost on Joe DM.

Part of being a good writer is knowing when to be explicit. The game mechanics always need to be spelled out, the fluff doesn't.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Very cool creature, VT. I remember you mentioning the Red Dew Forest when you were talking about the Dryad of the Sanguine Holly being a part of Hearth (or something of the like, I cannot remember), in the Monster Competition. Are these creatures located only in that forest?

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    Okay, I cede those points to you as quite valid other than 7+3+3+14/3=10 not 9 (30/3=10).
    7+3= 10. 10+3= 13. 13+14= 27, not 30. 27/3=9, not 10.
    Current Project: Campaign Setting

My deviantArt.

Extra fabulous avatar by Serpentine.

My Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    NOTHING is simple. NO EXCEPTIONS. No, not even that.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by unosarta View Post
    Very cool creature, VT. I remember you mentioning the Red Dew Forest when you were talking about the Dryad of the Sanguine Holly being a part of Hearth (or something of the like, I cannot remember), in the Monster Competition. Are these creatures located only in that forest?

7+3= 10. 10+3= 13. 13+14= 27, not 30. 27/3=9, not 10.
    Gah, I forgot to double the immunities (and I didn't add in the summonable creature) so the math is still wrong. . How much CR does a summoned critter add?

7 + 3 + 3 +17 (and whatever the summonable critter should add more but how much more, I've no idea) for a total of at least 30. The total was right but for the wrong reasons. Sorry guys.

Debby