New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Things you never noticed II: I never noticed the first thread

Since we're talking about Elan's int and wisdom a little bit, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0002.html In this comic Elan has 6 skill points. A bard gets Int + 6. However, humans get a bonus +1. Assuming he doesn't have any magical items increasing his int, he has a negative modifier. EDIT having magical items would only mean his actual int. modifier is even more negative.
    Last edited by mini_magician; 2011-10-23 at 09:54 AM.
    I got "ninja'd" by The Giant!!!

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mini_magician View Post
    Since we're talking about Elan's int and wisdom a little bit, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0002.html In this comic Elan has 6 skill points. A bard gets Int + 6. However, humans get a bonus +1. Assuming he doesn't have any magical items increasing his int, he has a negative modifier. EDIT having magical items would only mean his actual int. modifier is even more negative.
    I remember a Giant quote (though unfortunatly don't have a link to it) that he's singing about the 6 skill points Bard's get in 3.5 vs. whatever they got in 3.0. I have no idea how many they got in 3.0 as I didn't start playing till 4e was out.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

This was a while ago, but I thought I'd share the story.

When strip #718 first came around, I read it on a computer in the school library. That screen must have been tilted in some really weird way, because never once did I think the colours were wrong. But they most certainly were, and how do I know that in hindsight? Malack had no eyes.

Yep, the first time I read that strip Malack had no eyes. And I never checked the comic on my own computer for about two days, but when I did he had them. So it took me two days to notice Malack has eyes. He looked pretty cool without them, though...
    Last edited by Cizak; 2011-10-23 at 10:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mini_magician View Post
    Since we're talking about Elan's int and wisdom a little bit, http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0002.html In this comic Elan has 6 skill points. A bard gets Int + 6.
    Those two sentences are not complete.

"In that comic Elan sung about having 6 new skill points on conversion from 3.0ed to 3.5ed."
    "A bard gets Int+6 skill points on leveling up."
    "Elan hadn't just leveled up, and thus the first sentence and the second sentence have nothing to do with each other."

5. - Top - End - #575
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    Yep, the first time I read that strip Malack had no eyes. And I never checked the comic on my own computer for about two days, but when I did he had them. So it took me two days to notice Malack has eyes. He looked pretty cool without them, though...
    Wow! Scary...
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ettin in the Playground

I just noticed that Malack's eyes don't have outlines, whereas all other characters with coloured eyes and faces not covered by shadows or masks (Sabine, Qarr, Tsukiko, goblinoids, kobolds, wights, etc.) have a black outline around their eyes.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Belkar said "self buddy", not "elf buddy" as he said before.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #578
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    I remember a Giant quote (though unfortunatly don't have a link to it) that he's singing about the 6 skill points Bard's get in 3.5 vs. whatever they got in 3.0. I have no idea how many they got in 3.0 as I didn't start playing till 4e was out.
    They got 4 skill points.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, cause it's specifically a book thing, but in one of the Extremely Exciting bonus comics there is an extra sword just randomly in frame. It has no purpose being there, it looks like it got accidentally copied and pasted...

9. - Top - End - #579
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I just realized Tsukiko is wearing rather skimpy attire. What with the action and tension buildup, I never noticed the see-through negligee before

10. - Top - End - #580
    Troll in the Playground

The first spell Malack casts on Elan is Heal
    The first spell Malack casts on Nale is Harm (its opposite)

Huh.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post

Huh.
    Mind=Blown
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh.
    I was gonna post that yesterday, but my post was the latest and I didn't want to double post. Great minds think alike.

On another Nale-related note, I thought it was only Sabine who had to eat the heart, but upon rereading it, it sounds like Nale has to eat it, too.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

13. - Top - End - #583
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Belkar said "self buddy", not "elf buddy" as he said before.
    Hadn't noticed that!

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

I never noticed that Blackwings speech bubble actually says *whisper* over and over again.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

I just reread the entire comic this week, so I should have more of these, but in the duergar merchant panel, isamu is looking at a sap, which he uses later on (but in an earlier strip).

Right after Jirix's speech, the hydra cooking goblin millionaire has a booth set up.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    I just reread the entire comic this week, so I should have more of these, but in the duergar merchant panel, isamu is looking at a sap, which he uses later on (but in an earlier strip).

Right after Jirix's speech, the hydra cooking goblin millionaire has a booth set up.
    I can't find the strip he uses the sap in. Can you link it?

17. - Top - End - #587

I don't think he was ever shown actually using it, but Haley takes it from him here.
    A potent relic of the past. 'Tis said the wearer commands the wisdom of kings, and can see the unseeable.
    Like the grue lurking in your bedroom waiting for you to fall asleep.
    But perhaps some things are better left unseen...
    Dazzling avatar by Ceika

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pheehelm View Post
    I don't think he was ever shown actually using it, but Haley takes it from him here.
    Yeah, my bad. Haley takes it from him in #521.

19. - Top - End - #589

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackestOfMages View Post
    except, y'know, consantly remind the guy you killed his kids.

when you've done something horrible to a person then keep reminding them that you've done it at every turn, it does make the feelings of hate more extreme
    I don't know; if someone killed my family, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty much 100% pissed regardless of the killer's words.

But more than that, the full caster's game is a game of preparation, which has been a running theme through the entire arc.

Harm is a good spell for the sake of inflicting pain. But it wasn't the best opening move. The spell that immediately comes to mind is dimensional anchor.

In this regard, a very angry cleric is going to do a lot worse than one who is premeditated. Probably made no difference in this case, but why take chances?

Look everyone this image is a link!

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post
    I don't know; if someone killed my family, I'm pretty sure I'd be pretty much 100% pissed regardless of the killer's words.
    Yeah, but you’d be pissed and thinking clearly. (Maybe). Taunting is used to make the target act on a purely emotional level. Which may be a good thing, or it may be a bad thing, depending on the target’s emotional instincts. It takes a keen judge of character (i.e. Someone with a decent Sense Motive score, which is modified by Wisdom) to tell when it is a good idea.

Harm is a good spell for the sake of inflicting pain. But it wasn't the best opening move. The spell that immediately comes to mind is dimensional anchor.
    If you have won initiative, harm followed by inflict moderate wounds could end the game before your opponent gets any chance to teleport. It’s a perfectly valid strategy. And it ends things on round 1. The dimensional anchor strategy would require at least one more round, unless you had an eighth level slot available to quicken that before unleashing some insta-kill spell or another. I do not believe we are yet privy to whether or not Malack has 8th-level spell slots or if he is in the habit of using said slot on quickened dimensional anchor. All things considered Malack probably used the best strategy he had for killing someone as quickly as possible.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen View Post

In this regard, a very angry cleric is going to do a lot worse than one who is premeditated. Probably made no difference in this case, but why take chances?
    The problem here, as it is every time someone comes up with this, is that it assumes Malack was expecting to find Nale on that roof and was expecting him to teleport away once hurt. Clerics aren't spontaneous casters like bards or sorcerers--they have to prepare their spells in advance, and Dimensional Anchor is such a highly situational spell I wouldn't expect Malack to have prepared it on what, to all appearances, was going to be a normal day at the office.

Plus, as already mentioned, the combo Malack used would have been a pretty much guaranteed one-round kill if both spells had connected...

22. - Top - End - #592
    Troll in the Playground

Hell, the Harm should have been a one-hit kill. Given that the damage was at least 110 (10 x (level required to cast Harm)), but almost certainly the max of 150, versus a fourteenth-level character with little constitution and who's mostly Sorcerer*, Nale had to make his Will Save to survive that at all. The half damage probably would have gotten him if not for the 'cannot reduce the target’s hit points to less than 1' clause.

I intensely disagree that it would be smarter to cast Dimension Anchor and give him a turn at all with which to reveal any number of tricks up his sleeve. Malack had way more than enough raw power with which to destroy Nale in the blink of an eye. The rolls just went right in Nale's favor.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Bugbear in the Playground

Assuming that the Cleric had prepared Dimensional Anchor it was the optimal move. Nale and his girl are of very little danger to a higher level character. Nale's only option was running away. He was dead in a strait fight.
    Last edited by Nightmarenny; 2011-11-02 at 05:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

Dimensional Anchor could miss. Nale could have any number of things hidden away to help him escape in more mundane ways; some sort of blinding powder in Malack's eyes, Sabine carries him off. Done. Man, he could have leapt off the balcony and floated off! Dimensional Anchor stops you from teleporting, not... moving.

There was a very small chance Malack was going to not kill Nale in a single round, and Dimensional Anchor is far from infallible. I seriously contend that it had the best chances of leading to Nale's defeat.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-11-02 at 05:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Dimensional Anchor could miss. Nale could have any number of things hidden away to help him escape in more mundane ways; some sort of blinding powder in Malack's eyes, Sabine carries him off. Done. Man, he could have leapt off the balcony and floated off! Dimensional Anchor stops you from teleporting, not... moving.

There was a very small chance Malack was going to not kill Nale in a single round, and Dimensional Anchor is far from infallible. I seriously contend that it had the best chances of success.
    His chosen spells both require a Touch attack and a save.

Both spells had to hit to beat him.

Dimensional Anchor has no save. It has a dramatically better chance of hitting than the Cleric had of killing Nale in one turn.

As for Nale running, well gee I guess your right. To catch Nale he'd have to, gosh, run after him. There are Three high-level Characters there and The cleric probably had something with range.
    Last edited by Nightmarenny; 2011-11-02 at 05:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmarenny View Post
    Both spells had to hit to beat him.
    One spell had to hit fully. Harm. As I said, it was only the save that spared him, and he needed at least 30. I wouldn't exactly blame a guy for banking on that not being resisted. The Inflict Critical Wounds was just gravy.

As for Nale running, well gee I guess your right. To catch Nale he'd have to, gosh, run after him. There are Three high-level Characters there and The cleric probably had something with range.
    Neither of the two possibilities I mentioned involved anything 'run after him' could solve, Nightmarenny. I specifically gave scenarios which would prove difficult for Malack to follow. He's not a mobile guy. And no one there is capable of flight like Sabine is.

And while I'm sure Malack has ranged attacks, nothing's going to have the one-hit capability of Harm. He only had one round in which to make any melee touch attacks; one round to bust out his best damage, and one round where he knew he had a very good chance of destroying Nale.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2011-11-02 at 06:31 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

His chosen spells both require a Touch attack and a save.
    Keep in mind that thanks to half damage on a miss, even if Nale makes both saves, he's still dead.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Troll in the Playground

Last edited by martianmister; 2011-11-02 at 06:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Troll in the Playground

Huh.
    Wow ....

That is an amazing catch, good sir or madam. Bravo, bravo!
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2011-11-02 at 06:36 AM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Wow ....

That is an amazing catch, good sir or madam. Bravo, bravo!
    I wonder if that's intentional or not...
    Spoiler
    Show