New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Australasia in the Playground V

The first bit of advice is that not everyone is capable of learning a brass instrument. There's a reason I don't play trombone.

Secondly, saxophone is easier than clarinet.
    And more fun.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Secondly, saxophone is easier than clarinet.
    And more fun.
    I second that. Especially if you have big hands. I played clarinet for a few years at high school and I always struggled to get my fingers in the right positions to completely cover the holes (a must if you want the notes to sound right) - thanks to have fairly large hands for a girl. Then I picked up the tenor sax as well and it was pure heaven.

Also, if you want to learn a brass instrument, you might want to start off with something that at least has some keys

(though I remember - my sister could do a bugle call on her clarinet )

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    I second that. Especially if you have big hands. I played clarinet for a few years at high school and I always struggled to get my fingers in the right positions to completely cover the holes (a must if you want the notes to sound right) - thanks to have fairly large hands for a girl. Then I picked up the tenor sax as well and it was pure heaven.
    My main problem is that I can barely get a sound out of a clarinet. Something about makes the instrument so hard and tiring to coax into action.
    And when it comes to flute, I can never angle the mouthpiece properly, though that would come with practice.

I am in complete agreement with your assessment of the Tenor Saxophone, that's the one I play. It is awesome. I just need to play louder.
    Almost ten years on it, and I can hardly be heard.

Actually... Starting from around Easter in grade five...
    I was ten then, I'm nineteen now... Make that almost nine years.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Ele's sister tried to teach me Clarinet once.. Every time I made a sound with it, I just started giggling for five minutes. After about half an hour to an hour of this happening over and over, she gave up. xDD

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    His life was over.
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Mystic who fluffs things with madness and zeal,
    Mynxae who always seeks rifts to heal,
    The lovely Dark Lady who's never at odds;
    These are a few of our favorite mods!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

And when it comes to flute, I can never angle the mouthpiece properly, though that would come with practice.
    Yeah, I remember trying to get a sound out of my friend's flute once - I had exactly the same problem. I've never been very good at getting noise from blowing over bottle openings either.

I am in complete agreement with your assessment of the Tenor Saxophone, that's the one I play. It is awesome. I just need to play louder.
    I miss my sax... I hired it from the school and I loved that thing - had to give it back when I left obviously. Not that I ever practiced... drove my teacher nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Ele's sister tried to teach me Clarinet once.. Every time I made a sound with it, I just started giggling for five minutes. After about half an hour to an hour of this happening over and over, she gave up. xDD
    Heh, my sister taught me the basics of the clarinet as well - I took up the instrument mainly because she learned it and she'd just recently gotten a wooden one, which meant her plastic one was just lying around. So I decided to learn too... so she of course, started teaching me and when I got into my first actual lesson with my actual teacher he was so ticked off. He was her teacher as well and she'd been learning for years so he knew us both fairly well. He was so mad because she taught me incorrect tonguing and because I'd ended up being better than all the other beginner's but not as good as the second-year students. I got private lessons out of the deal

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

You can sometimes find good instruments on Ebay. That's where we got my sister's Alto, and it's actually a very good one.
    Just remember to check the brand before you get it.

Dragons!

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Eh... it's been years since I played, I don't remember the fingering any more anyway. I did look for one when I first left school, but couldn't find any and eventually gave up.

Sad but true - the only instrument I can pick up and play like nothing's changed is my recorder.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

One instrument I've always wanted to learn is the Violin.. Never tried a string instrument before, and they're always my favourite part of classical pieces (if strings are in them).

But the main 'instrument', you could say, that I play, is my voice. :3 I'm a tenor, and can sing most songs. I just gotta learn how to project my voice a bit better. Have had no lessons or anything, but my music teacher in school said I 'have a tuneful voice'. /shrugs I got a C+ or B- for my practical's so.. Would've gotten higher, but I wouldn't practice the song I was singing enough.. I'd end up forgetting a few lyrics here and there. xD

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahh Kyth'ra... A knight of such honour and virtue, not to mention suppressed homicidal rage.
    His life was over.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

If I had the chance to learn to play an instrument, I'd play piano. I have a really nice guitar that i've attempted to learn how to play and I just don't have the finger dexterity to do so, which is a pity because it's a really nice looking guitar :/
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

@Lady Moreta: You might be able to rent one. It'd probably come back to you reasonably quick.
    I personally would have almost no idea what I'm doing with the recorder anymore.

I used to be able to play the guitar, still can a bit, but I'm really, really rusty.
    And now that we've branched out from wind instruments, I need to find a way to say that I can play the piano without sounding overly boastful. But I don't practice enough.
    *waves to sad neglected piano*

Dragons!

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    One instrument I've always wanted to learn is the Violin.. Never tried a string instrument before, and they're always my favourite part of classical pieces (if strings are in them).
    I learned the violin for about 6 months before deciding I just couldn't get the hang of it and gave it up. I've tried out quite a few instruments over the years...

Recorder
    Keyboard
    Oboe
    Violin
    Clarinet
    Tenor Saxophone

Of those, the recorder is the only one I can still pick up and play without any problems - but I played it for 7 years and actually did a Grade 4 music exam with it... which I passed with Merit, much to everyone's astonishment (I swapped two of the pieces I was playing and didn't really start practicing til the week before the exam and never practiced the scales).

@Lady Moreta: You might be able to rent one. It'd probably come back to you reasonably quick.
    I personally would have almost no idea what I'm doing with the recorder anymore.
    Couldn't afford to right now... and no longer sure I want to. I played the recorder longer than any other instrument, that's the only reason I can still play it.

I was always a little sorry to give up the oboe though - learned that one for a year, but something about the airflow/pressure/whatever needed to hit the really high notes gave me a splitting headache and I had to give it up.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

So... my mother hit a kangaroo last night.

The kangaroo came off fine, no blood on the car or anything. Car on the other hand, suffered 1500 bucks worth of damage.
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh noes, the poor car! D:

Epic quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His life was over.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    So... my mother hit a kangaroo last night.

The kangaroo came off fine, no blood on the car or anything. Car on the other hand, suffered 1500 bucks worth of damage.
    The kangaroo was completely fine? It managed to hop away with no troubles?
    That was one lucky National Symbol.

If it makes you feel any better, it probably broke bones and ended up with internal injuries, and will probably die in agony.
    Now I read that... It sounds exceedingly cruel...

Dragons!

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, she was only going 35 kph on a dirt road and she barely clipped it from what she told me.

And yeah. It was all "lol k" and hopped off.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post
    Nah, she was only going 35 kph on a dirt road and she barely clipped it from what she told me.

And yeah. It was all "lol k" and hopped off.
    What's wrong with her car? Is it made of glass?!?!

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

Kangaroos are...Well, most cars that a don't have a roo bar are basically trashed when they hit them. The Kangaroos are normally fine. They're hardy little buggars and usually come best off in non 4x4 hits.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Kangaroos are...Well, most cars that a don't have a roo bar are basically trashed when they hit them. The Kangaroos are normally fine. They're hardy little buggars and usually come best off in non 4x4 hits.
    Kangaroos are like the older Dodge cars - you really don't wanna hit one.

It still amazes me, the things I know about this country - and I'm not even Australian.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

I remember looking out for wallabies in Tas, particularly in summer when there was little grass except for nice manicured lawns. A friend was driving me home one misty summer night, and I had to remind him to drive slow because of them.

And they're very hardy little buggers.

My dog used to kill them, grabbing them by the neck and shaking the datlights out of them (had no idea until then they could vocalise). I had to drag them by the tail and throw them over the back fence into the bush, so I saved one by shaking the dog and shouting at him to drop it. He did, and the thing hopped away no doubt telling its mates what happens in our yard. We dd t see one again.

You see more road kill than you normally would in Tassie. Wombats are like boulders, echidnas almost as bad. But it was perfectly ok for my cat to kill baby rabbits, she never got punished for that.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dispozition View Post
    Wow, this is news to me. I suppose kangaroo roadkill generally only happens when a 4x4 is involved, then?

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Barbarian in the Playground

God. Damn. It.
    So, all the work I did on Friday? I forgot to save it to the network, so 95% chance that it has all gone 'poof!'

I feel a little bit silly right now. As if I didn't have enough to do tomorrow.

I hope everyone else has a better day then I am going to tomorrow.
    Last edited by _Zoot_; 2012-03-24 at 06:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

At least the election campaigns and such are over in Australia.
    My first election. I feel so responsible!
    And my tomorrow will probably be good. No idea what I'll be doing, probably reading the election results in the paper and then not mentioning them on the Forum.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #293

AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING!

My work was still there! That makes things so much better!
    Spoiler
    Show

Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

Awesome.
    Only word that properly describes that.

I hate it when I lose things.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Yaaaaaaay!

Mmm. Just had my first proper breakfast in a couple of weeks. Yes, at 1:30 pm. It was pancakes with golden syrup and icecream and it was magnificent.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Yaaaaaaay!

Mmm. Just had my first proper breakfast in a couple of weeks. Yes, at 1:30 pm. It was pancakes with golden syrup and icecream and it was magnificent.
    There is nothing better than a late breakfast. It is the best meal, no matter what time you eat it!
    Spoiler
    Show

He's talking 'bout me!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

I am so jealous. In a good way.
    Because now I feel like making pancakes. I just need to trick people into helping me...

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGirl

Because now I feel like making pancakes. I just need to trick people into helping me...
    Me too... except we don't have any ice cream and pancakes just aren't pancakes without it.

Now all of a sudden I feel like scrambled eggs...

29. - Top - End - #299
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Moreta View Post
    Me too... except we don't have any ice cream and pancakes just aren't pancakes without it.
    Pancakes and honey?
    Pancakes and maple syrup?
    Pancakes and jam?
    Pancakes and cream?
    Pancakes and cream with a dollop of jam?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

All are good.
    I personally wouldn't put ice-cream on pancakes because I don't have ice-cream anywhere near often enough, and I like to savour its delicious creaminess without distractions.

Dragons!