New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 8: Ansom's Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Wizard View Post
    I have some constwuctive cwiticism.

Art:

The artwork is great, but is being ruined by the filetype it is being saved in. *.JPG is really screwing with the picture, I don't no what the technical term is, but I think "noise" is the term that closely resembles the problem. Around the details of the artwork, little static-like noise bleeds into the solid colors. The image quality is lowered overall because of *.JPG compression algorithm.
    I believe the term is "Antiqueing", but I may be wrong...
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My House Rules
    contains material by Inlicere, Khaalis, 77IM, and Lord Tirian of ENWorld, and Cunning_Kindred of the WotC boards, as well as various ideas culled from across the 'net. If you see something of yours, contact me and I'll properly attribute some of this work to you.

My MSE Power Card Template
    Updated periodically with an expanded drop-down containing new classes, races, paragon paths, and Epic Destinies that I allow.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

I can't believe people aren't finding this funny.

54 move? Gwiffons? Not to mention the heart-wrenching drama. Sheesh.
    Libros virumque cano, ...

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    Another issue might be the inconsistency. Pigeons go 'Coo', the Arkenhammer is perfectly comfortable going 'CRACK!', and Wanda makes plenty of 'step' sounds, but when she stops, her shoes 'balk' instead of 'screech' or 'squeek'. It only makes sense because the word is drawn the same way as the rest of Wanda's shoe sounds.
    Funny... I read the "balk" as wanda balking - she was in a bad mood, being forced to waste her time with the incompetent Word Stanwey...err... Lord Stanley.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My House Rules
    contains material by Inlicere, Khaalis, 77IM, and Lord Tirian of ENWorld, and Cunning_Kindred of the WotC boards, as well as various ideas culled from across the 'net. If you see something of yours, contact me and I'll properly attribute some of this work to you.

Updated periodically with an expanded drop-down containing new classes, races, paragon paths, and Epic Destinies that I allow.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Halfling in the Playground

Regarding the Free-deep as frog sounds, I understood it right away... but that's due to knowing the old joke:

"How deep is a frog pond?"
    "How deep?"
    "Knee-deep. Knee-deep."

I'm really liking Erfworld so far. It's cutesy, but I love the metagame knowledge held by the characters (how many move, turn end, etc). It definately succeeds in reminding me of all my favorite turn-based games.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

tongue Re: Erfworld 8: Ansom's Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Siberys View Post
    I believe the term is "Antiqueing", but I may be wrong...
    Heh. Not quite, I think you're looking for "artifacting".

Antiquing is... something else entirely.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ThatMaskedMan View Post
    First, I think that having character noses disappear at medium to long distances looks very odd. Humans cue off faces for a lot of information, so having major details of the face disappear in one panel and then reappear in the next throws me off. I would suggest that you either always draw noses (even if only as a little squiggle), or always leave them out.
    While overall I am enthralled by the artwork, I must wholeheartedly agree with the above comment. The disappearing-noses-effect is quite odd and (I suspect) threw me off from recognizing Jillian at the end of page 8. I also found it equally disturbing on page 6 when Wanda loses hers.

But I couldn't draw myself out of a cardboard box, so...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderpus View Post
    While overall I am enthralled by the artwork, I must wholeheartedly agree with the above comment. The disappearing-noses-effect is quite odd and (I suspect) threw me off from recognizing Jillian at the end of page 8. I also found it equally disturbing on page 6 when Wanda loses hers.

But I couldn't draw myself out of a cardboard box, so...
    This is a style choice. As things get pushed to the background, they tend to get grayer and loose features. Since my pen is a certain thickness, the noses disappear (unless it's Stanley. What a monster schnoz!). I thought it would be obvious from the content that the woman in those last panels was Jillian since she (besides Wilma) is the only other female that we've spent any time with, but I guess not. Oh well.

About her change of dress, can't a girl get all dolled up before she goes/doesn't go to stay in the leader's tent?
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paradox View Post
    Heh. Not quite, I think you're looking for "artifacting".

Antiquing is... something else entirely.
    Yeah... Didn't realize that 'til now...

I remember reading about it in "Web Design for Dummies", and I could've sworn it was antiquing... but artifacting makes more sense. Why do they have to be so close in literal meaning?

Cheers,
    Siberys
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

My House Rules

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    This is a style choice. As things get pushed to the background, they tend to get grayer and loose features. Since my pen is a certain thickness, the noses disappear (unless it's Stanley. What a monster schnoz!).
    Thanks for the reply. I can totally respect the style choices involved. The rest of us are just armchair critics here, which is a million times easier.

Quote Originally Posted by jami View Post
    I thought it would be obvious from the content that the woman in those last panels was Jillian since she (besides Wilma) is the only other female that we've spent any time with, but I guess not. Oh well.

About her change of dress, can't a girl get all dolled up before she goes/doesn't go to stay in the leader's tent?
    In hindsight, what Jillian is doing is clear. On first reading, though, there were a few factors conspiring against some of us... it's difficult to recognize the dark building as Ansom's tent; second, we don't see Jillian close-up enough to see her distinctive hairstyle / facial features; and finally, she's dolled up (and thus missing that giant sword!). My initial theory was indeed something weird about Wilma stalking around, post-peep-dusting (for reasons as yet unexplained). I probably just needed more coffee.

Anyway, I look forward very much to see how the story continues!

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

ok, is it just Me, or does panel one look like a marshmellow chick?
    Join the bard defense league

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Noneoyabizzness View Post
    ok, is it just Me, or does panel one look like a marshmellow chick?
    Heh, the scientific term is peep. And yessir! It be a giant marshmellow peep creature!
    Jamie Noguchi, artist and co-creator of Erfworld and evil monkey responsible for Angry Zen Master.